Lounge

king007

19 hours ago, krystalynn03 said:

On another side note, what are you submitting this week? Curious Krystals want to know.

Well, I'm finally allowed, by the WE team, to start writing my story! So, three beginnings, each focused on a different promise to the reader. They're supposed to be 500 words but, well, it's me, so they're not!! :)

16 hours ago, kaisa said:

so hoping to see you submitting more

See above!! Yes, I'm hoping to be able to submit a bit more regularly now, slots permitting of course.

On 16/08/2016 at 3:26 AM, Mandamon said:

I've been getting in the art for Merchants and Maji this week

That artwork is fabulous - just fantastic. I'm excited to see the full image. Yeah, the story's pretty good too :D ..and I'm now a follower, welcome to Twitterland.

2 minutes ago, Vreeah said:

I believe it's for the term "Critique Partner".

Though I did put a slight bet on "Copilot".

Good grief, do we really need a TLA or a TLA for everything? I'm getting RFU with all this MCA of PGP ;)

I go to sleep for a few hours, and this is what happens to the forum...

@kaisa I'd be happy to be a CP!  Glad everyone else cleared up what that was... ;-) I'll need a readthrough of my epic fantasy (not Dissolutionverse), whenever I actually get the edits done.

@Robinski yeah, the art is amazing.  To give you some context, I got to speak with Irene Gallo (art director for Tor) at WorldCon and she was familiar with the artist's work! (As in "oh yes, I'm sure he'll be doing a cover for Tor at some point" familiar).

Congrats on the book coming out @Mandamon!  It's pretty awesome that you have an artist and can see your ideas in pictures!

Question about CP's: I assume a critique partner is someone with whom you trade books so they can look at your whole story at once.  Is it usually an alpha read, beta read, or copy edit kind of read?

30 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

Question about CP's: I assume a critique partner is someone with whom you trade books so they can look at your whole story at once.  Is it usually an alpha read, beta read, or copy edit kind of read?

In my experience it is a longer-term writing relationship. Usually it begins after one is substantially far into a piece. Bits are shared and critiqued in an LBL format each week or so for an indefinite period of time. So not an alpha, which is a breezy read through for like/not like and general comments, not a beta, which tends to be a one shot thing. Not a copy edit, because that's what an actual copy editor is for once you sign. 

I've been editing so much the past year I haven't needed one. But now with starting a new book from scratch, a CP would be very helpful. I like to have three or four for a new book, so if anyone else wants to be my buddy...

5 hours ago, Mandamon said:

Glad everyone else cleared up what that was... ;-) I'll need a readthrough of my epic fantasy (not Dissolutionverse), whenever I actually get the edits done.

Wait...I totally meant copilot...

CPs would generally be fine with doing readthroughs during edits too, if you'd like. It tends to be more of an intense partnership than just a beta.

17 minutes ago, kaisa said:

In my experience it is a longer-term writing relationship. Usually it begins after one is substantially far into a piece. Bits are shared and critiqued in an LBL format each week or so for an indefinite period of time. So not an alpha, which is a breezy read through for like/not like and general comments, not a beta, which tends to be a one shot thing. Not a copy edit, because that's what an actual copy editor is for once you sign. 

I've been editing so much the past year I haven't needed one. But now with starting a new book from scratch, a CP would be very helpful. I like to have three or four for a new book, so if anyone else wants to be my buddy...

Oh, may I be a buddy? That'd be a fun experience.

The Hugo Awards - well, that was... weird.

After my first participation in World Con (as a non-attending member) and voting for the Hugos (and Campbell), I find myself largely satisfied if somewhat mystified by the whole affair. I found the results fascinating. Of the 17 awards (including the Campbell), I only 'got four right' and one of these was the 'No Award' for Best Related Work. Am I therefore out of touch with SFF, a dinosaur in a brave new world with a shifting genre landscape and exotic new species of fiction? No, not really, because three of my second choices won. But I really thought some of the submissions, and winners, were less inventive and surprising than they should have been.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's experiences (and I don't mean performance, I know voting is not a competition to be 'right' :) ) and opinion.

At the risk of skirting the edge of calumniation (isn't that a good word, just discovered this variant of calumny!), I'll start the ball rolling. The Martian, really? I can't say a bad thing about the book, not read it, and I'm sure it's wonderful and Andy Weir is a fantastic chap, but I thought the film was a glib Disnification lacking any edge or real suspense. And it wins over Fury Road, a mesmerizing, outrageously inventive, visually jaw-dropping film with a crippled female lead, and Ex Machina, a challenging and taught examination of the nature of humanity and issues that the world is actually staring down the barrel of as we rush headlong into our subjugation at the mechanical hands of our own invention (et tu, Frankenstein...)?

Pah, I give up - I'm off to see Bad Moms...

Edited by Robinski

4 hours ago, Robinski said:

I'll start the ball rolling. The Martian, really?

I'm as surprised as you are. I attempted to read it--got fed up with swearing and coupled with being boring, I abandoned the book and got my money back.

Tried to watch the movie, thinking that a film adaptation would be better, got just as bored and abandoned the movie--on an airplane. That's saying something.

I am honestly not terribly surprised by The Martian winning, honestly; it has a very "hugo award" feel relative to the far more meritorious Fury Road. It's a disappointing result, but it's not a lot different from the way certain types of movies consistently win Oscars. 

That said, I don't think he should even have been in the running for the Campbell. His initial self-pub was long enough ago to rule him out and was on that strength that he got a major motion picture. Dude does not need the Campbell. 

Otherwise I am pretty happy with the results overall. Fifth Season deserved everything it got.