Lounge

king007

I noticed that, in the recent period, we had some nice conversations in the threads "who are you?" and "submission dates."

I, myself, had the urge to vent off some frustration about my current work but couldn't find any appropriate place for that, and I didn't want to start a whole thread just to talk about myself. I would think that I am not alone in this matter.

Members of Reading Excuses can chat here about writing and other stuff.

You're having trouble with your project? Post something here.

You found an excellent way to improve your writing? Here is the place for you.

You want to ask a question of your beloved RE compatriots? Please, be my guest.

You have something to say but you don't think it deserves a whole thread? I hug you, you hug me.

If any of the above stuff made any sense, this thread would stay alive. Otherwise, if I'm the only one here who needs a hug and other things, then it will just die off by itself.

I'm having trouble completing the short story I'm writing. I should have finished a week ago already, but I kept either procrastinating or staring at the computer for long amounts of time and only producing few lines and that's it. I already have the "plot" figured out. I don't have a trouble with writing itself, but I can only stay focused for short periods of time. And it's such a shame as well because I think my progress so far is pretty good. But I can't seem to finish the remaining third of the story, even though I have already written the first draft.

I hope I finish it tomorrow. And even though I love what I wrote so far, I can't wait to get rid of it and move on to something else.

This is almost exactly, to the letter, the trouble I'm having with the short story I'm planning to submit tomorrow. I've finished the story in draft and am now editing, have got about 2/3 through and am struggling to finish the edit. In my case, it's because I don't quite believe I've nailed it. I feel the deficiencies of the story and know it's not as good as it should be. Hence, I have doubts about submitting it.

Sounds like your story should be a shoe-in. Are you sure there isn't something about it that is bugging you?

That's the thing, I have absolutely no problem with the story or with the writing. I'm just having difficulty focusing and actually producing. And I'm already starting to get bored with this story because it dragged for too long.

I thought about submitting the parts that are already edited, and have your thoughts about the writing. But, I'm afraid that if I submit it then I won't get back to finish it, and just start something new. Also, the story is kinda horror/thriller, so it's not really cool to share it uncompleted.

I'll just have to complete it tomorrow. I can't leave it to go on forever.

How long have you been struggling with your story, Robinski? How many edited words have you written so far?

On the focusing subject, I'd say just embrace it.  I have a dual monitor setup, and when I'm working but having focus troubles, I'll open a game on one and the work on the other, then bounce back and forth.  Generally gets more work done in the end than trying and failing to push through.

Also, thanks for starting this thread, because I wasn't going to make a thread for it, but I really want to tell everyone that I got my first acceptance to a pro market on Friday.

I seem to have the same concentration problems others are having. I have a very difficult time staying focused on my writing, and very easily turn away from it to do other things. From past experience, when I get into a groove of it, it's easy for me to sit down and focus on the writing for extended periods of time, or for a long string of days in a row, but it's been a very long time since I've done that, 

I think my biggest weakness right now is a complete and utter lack of confidence in my abilities, and I haven't found the solution that will allow me to dig myself out of the current slump.

Also, thanks for starting this thread, because I wasn't going to make a thread for it, but I really want to tell everyone that I got my first acceptance to a pro market on Friday.

Congratulations. That first sale is pretty special :)

That's great! Congrats!

I think my biggest weakness right now is a complete and utter lack of confidence in my abilities, and I haven't found the solution that will allow me to dig myself out of the current slump.

What gives you doubt in your self? I actually think you're a great writer, as evidenced by that awesome first chapter you submitted. And even the writing problems that surfaced in the second chapter are obviously due to lack of proper effort. Honestly, I think you show a great potential to become a published author. You only need to keep going.

Thanks for starting this topic! 

I definitely need a hug. I just sent out my first submission, and holy crap—I'm freaking terrified. There ain't nothing like choking down a heaping helping of self-doubt over your lunch break. /o\

Thanks for starting this topic! 

I definitely need a hug. I just sent out my first submission, and holy crap—I'm freaking terrified. There ain't nothing like choking down a heaping helping of self-doubt over your lunch break. /o\

Relax, you need to spread the stress out. Some people (like me) don't get to reviewing for days so you have like, a week, of people reading and commenting on your submission :P

What gives you doubt in your self? I actually think you're a great writer, as evidenced by that awesome first chapter you submitted. And even the writing problems that surfaced in the second chapter are obviously due to lack of proper effort. Honestly, I think you show a great potential to become a published author. You only need to keep going.

Thanks for the kind words.

It's a lot of things, and it comes and goes. I think it's probably the sort of thing even some established writers struggle with. This particular bout was triggered by a rejection that really has me rethinking a lot of things. Hopefully it'll all be for the better.

Relax, you need to spread the stress out. Some people (like me) don't get to reviewing for days so you have like, a week, of people reading and commenting on your submission :P

The stress simply comes from putting myself out there. Also, finally releasing this story into the wild (even in a limited capacity) with my name plainly attached to it. I have Adam Sandler's voice crying out in my head, "Noooo! They're all gonna laugh at you!"

Heh. I'll survive... Especially if I concentrate on Chapter 3 edits rather than babysitting the forum for the next week.  :D

The stress simply comes from putting myself out there. Also, finally releasing this story into the wild (even in a limited capacity) with my name plainly attached to it. I have Adam Sandler's voice crying out in my head, "Noooo! They're all gonna laugh at you!"

I remember that feeling from when I first submitted to the group years ago. It really is a different animal to show your work to others, especially with the intent of having it critiqued. From personal experience I can tell you It really helps a lot though. As for having to wait a week for your first critique, well, it's already there ;)

Congratulations, that's awesome :)

I remember that feeling from when I first submitted to the group years ago. It really is a different animal to show your work to others, especially with the intent of having it critiqued. From personal experience I can tell you It really helps a lot though. As for having to wait a week for your first critique, well, it's already there ;)

You're the best. Thanks for being my first review. :)

How long have you been struggling with your story, Robinski? How many edited words have you written so far?

Hey King,

The story was 7,500 in first draft. I was going to submit it last week, but started editing it the week before and that was when it came off the rails. I mean, if I'm not convinced, why would anyone else be, right?

Anyway, I think I've cracked it. I'm now 50% through another edit - the story is now 5,200 words and I have simplified it a bit. Mandamon will probably laugh at this, but I've cut one of three p.o.v.s (yes, three), and taken out a layer of misdirection. I think it's better now and I will aim to submit it this evening - then y'all can be the judge (and jury, and the other thing...).

I really want to tell everyone that I got my first acceptance to a pro market on Friday.

Great news - congratulations.

I think King's right, about the need for this thread. I actually started one about a year ago, and the idea was for people to share their experiences of submitting / rejection / acceptance, etc. since it's not something that we talk about much. For example, I appreciate that maybe you can't reveal much in detail, but I'm sure many peeps would be interested to know how many words, genre, market, etc., or if not specifics, then some notes on your experience with submitting and succeeding.

Same goes for anyone else with experience to share on this subject.

Congrats again.

It's a small press anthology that's going to fund on kickstarter.  I'm not allowed to announce the title/organizing principle yet, but my story was 4,650 words.  I found out about it from the new markets tab on the submission grinder (http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/Default.aspx)  you guys all use the submission grinder, right?  The guidelines said they were aiming for an even sci-fi/fantasy split, and I wrote an eldritch horror/mythos thing that could be counted in either camp.  

No real tricks.  I made a normal blind submission and then followed the editor on twitter, so I found out when rejections were getting sent out, and I kept not getting one, and then I got an acceptance.

Seriously though, if you're trying to publish, sign up for the new, customizable newsletter the submission grinder offers.  it's a great way to find new markets.

Hey King,

The story was 7,500 in first draft. I was going to submit it last week, but started editing it the week before and that was when it came off the rails. I mean, if I'm not convinced, why would anyone else be, right?

I look forward to read your submission. With 7,500 words, I can understand how one would be reluctant. But, my story is a measly 2,000 words and I'm still procrastinating. *facepalm*

It's a small press anthology that's going to fund on kickstarter.  I'm not allowed to announce the title/organizing principle yet, but my story was 4,650 words.  I found out about it from the new markets tab on the submission grinder (http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/Default.aspx)  you guys all use the submission grinder, right?

I was not aware of this website. I took a look and it seems wonderful! Are all the offers vouched for their integrity or it's anyone can post an offer?

The submission grinder is a free alternative to duotrope.  It helps track submissions and has market listings.  It definitely vets and continues to update info: markets don't post themselves.  Things get recommended and the grinder curates a list.  It also sends you to the market's website directly, you don't submit via the grinder site, so you can judge each market for itself.

I'm mostly submitting to pro-rate markets, so I haven't run into any integrity issues.  Those are well-known publications, for the most part.

I look forward to read your submission. With 7,500 words, I can understand how one would be reluctant. But, my story is a measly 2,000 words and I'm still procrastinating. *facepalm*

I have a novel technique that you might try.... Just STOP freekin' procrastinating and get on with it!!!!!!!!!    ;op

Just STOP freekin' procrastinating and get on with it!!!!!!!!!    ;op

Easier said than done, friend. I've been staring at a blank screen and its stupid, smug, blinking cursor all day. There used to be words, but I cut them. Then I went and edited my first chapter for awhile. Now I plan on going back to my cursor.

Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. Big. Heavy. Sigh.