Waynes Language

Navy Seon

Nah. But then again I grew up with a father from the Bronx, so you'd have to say some pretty raunchy stuff to make me react. Honestly it just made me feel closer to Wayne as a character. More visceral. I never did like the line "and the words he said would make a dockworker blush" or something akin to that. I think the "worst" word they used was a "p" word a couple or 10 times.

I dont mean appropriate for wayne. I mean appopriate for wayne now after two relatively clean books. And also from brandons style of writing it just seemed off point seemingly to enlighten fans that he could write very dirty. It all just seemed to pop out of nowhere.

I really don't think it did.  Wayne demonstrated crude language/behavior before Bands of Mourning.  Granted, was implied off-screen, but there was nothing in the previous books that indicate that this is at all out of character for Wayne.

ETA:  Also, what we saw in BoM really wasn't that dirty.  At least, not from the point of view of a jaded 38-year-old. ;)

Edited by Kaymyth

Sounds exactly as crass and vulgar to me, honestly. Not that I personally minded (I just about fell out of my chair laughing because of that scene in Alloy of Law).

But then again, I suppose it's pretty subjective. To answer your question, though, I do think it's just you. 

First of all i said relatively. Second, shooting a dogs balls off isnt considered crude language by brandon standards. But d#less forsure is.

I mean, they are called his adult series. But then again, I was very impressed on how he did it with SA. I never noticed there wasn't any swearing til after my second read. But I always think there's room for "crude" language. I just like it.

I didnt say anything about crude. I said balls wasnt vulgar. Which for a regular sanderson reader, it isnt. But d#less is a new word which is indeed vulgar on brandons level. Like instead of saying breasts which he usually does, he says b##bs or t#ts, sorry for the symbols but like you could already tell i am very sensitive. Which is my own fault. But even so it shouldnt be hard to admit that one is more vulgar than the other.

Obviously like i said before, it is subjective and an opinion. But to brandon, who never used language like this before ("curse words", that would make a movie a pg13-r instead of pg-pg13 for language only obviously) he apparently doesnt like using them. So my nitpick is that it is just very out of place since hes never used this terminology before. Its like he asked patrick rufus or brent weeks to write all of the wayne scenes in bands of mourning.

I didnt say anything about crude. I said balls wasnt vulgar. Which for a regular sanderson reader, it isnt. But d#less is a new word which is indeed vulgar on brandons level. Like instead of saying breasts which he usually does, he says b##bs or t#ts, sorry for the symbols but like you could already tell i am very sensitive. Which is my own fault. But even so it shouldnt be hard to admit that one is more vulgar than the other.

I mean I guess. But they're like the difference of a hairs width for me. I grew up with swearing as my first language, and incorporated English into that lol. But I can see where you're coming from.

I think it fits with the motifs he has been building towards. The perspective flip. Wayne, through the lenses of Kelsier, is a straight-up evil villain. He is a sleazy, creepy, crude man, who was allowed to get away with murder scott-free thanks to his nobleman crony and continues to get away with pretty much whatever he pleases. He even says to Marasi in Bands "Wax has a huge blind spot where I'm concerned." He is super-rich, practically nobility by wealth alone, but goes around pretending to be poor, "slumming it." Guarantee that the Survivor hates his rusting guts.

​Of course, none of that stops me from loving the hell out of him.

I'm honestly amazed that you don't consider "balls" vulgar.

Do.. do you know that Wax was talking about shooting a dog's testicles off? Not like, a ball from its mouth?

Cause both situations are using profanity while telling an anecdote about castration. That's pretty friggin crude.

Edited by NovaSeeker

First, he could have said testicle but he didnt. Second it isnt what you mean, its how you say it. You could either say hi whats up in a very uninterested way or say oh hello how are you felling today. So while it means the same thing, there are two different vibes you get. Same here. Balls is a milder and more polite and abstract way of saying testicles. The same applies here. There are milder versions of saying d#less. So balls is a vulgar concept but not a vulgar word like sleeping instead of sex.

First, he could have said testicle but he didnt. Second it isnt what you mean, its how you say it. You could either say hi whats up in a very uninterested way or say oh hello how are you felling today. So while it means the same thing, there are two different vibes you get. Same here. Balls is a milder and more polite and abstract way of saying testicles. The same applies here. There are milder versions of saying d#less. So balls is a vulgar concept but not a vulgar word like sleeping instead of sex.

But why use one word instead of another when the first word has the desired effect?

Balls is a more polite way of saying testicles?

WHAT?

This is more for your benefit than mine, if you ever find yourself in polite company and for some reason think it's okay to say balls in a polite context:

Please see definition 5: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/balls

"balls" is not like saying "sleeping with" instead of "sex". It's exactly like saying d#k instead of "penis".

Edited by NovaSeeker

I mean, they are called his adult series. But then again, I was very impressed on how he did it with SA. I never noticed there wasn't any swearing til after my second read. But I always think there's room for "crude" language. I just like it.

Umm. Brandon took a que from Robert Jordan and made his own swear words.

Every time you read Storms, storming, rusts ,bloody, blood and ashes, sparking, and sparks, (there are more) replace it with This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules.

As far as I've gathered.

It's a versatile word LoL.

Point is, concept is more important that actual details of the words used.

You've been reading vulgarity all along. No need for offense ;)

Edit: pardon for (possiblely) skirting rules, simply trying to illustrate that 4 letter words ARE used.

Edited by DocHoliday

Navy, please, just trust me on this. You should be treating "balls" with the exact same level of vulgarity as d#. They are equally vulgar. 

At least, in the US. Are you in the US? If not then, sure, local vernacular for slang might be different. (Like the C-word being a huuuuuuuge insult in the US, and being roughly equivalent to "jerk" in the UK)