Seattle Calamity Signing

controlled_slide

Brandon: No, you are on the right path.  Of all the things you noted, that one is the one that is perhaps the most important...The idea that Roshar is special and a key on Shadesmar.

Hmm. 

Questioner: How many magic systems are in The Stormlight Archive, and how many of them [have been seen?]
Brandon: I would see the only major one you haven’t seen is Voidbinding, it depends on how you count them.  I count fabrials as one, Surgebinding as one, and Voidbinding as one.  And then the Old Magic is kind of its own weird thing.

Finally a solid answer to this. The whole "depends how you count" has been bugging me for ages!

Questioner: So nicrosil.  Wax couldn’t use a blank gold metalmind because he’s not a gold ferring, why can he use a blank nicrosil metalmind?

Brandon: So this will all come out eventually but the idea is there are certain ways to connect yourself to the magic, to hack the magic and make it think you have the Spiritual DNA that you don’t actually have.  And this is one of the ways.
Questioner: And the people who made this medallion have this thing that a regular nicrosil Ferring couldn’t--
Brandon: Yeah, you’re picking up on it. We’ll dig deeper into it as the series progresses.

I really need to sit down one of these days and walk myself through how Investiture and Identity play together in Feruchemy. My understanding is not as... natural as I would like it to be.

matter, energy, investiture are the same things in the cosmere

For some reason reading this gives a better understanding of how things work in the Cosmere. I think we've been all kind of working under the assumption that this is the case, but confirmations are always nice. Plus, I had this pet theory a while back, that Einstein's famous E=mc2 would require an additional component, a term for the Investiture, in order to work in the Cosmere, and I am feeling  pretty good about it right  now.

Also, all the Vasher & Stormlight questions are making me wonder if he could Awaken with Stormlight. It sounds like a pretty guaranteed RAFO though...

Also, all the Vasher & Stormlight questions are making me wonder if he could Awaken with Stormlight. It sounds like a pretty guaranteed RAFO though...

Argent, I'm having trouble finding the WOB (I don't think it is on Theoryland...) but I am positive Brandon has answered this question. If I remember correctly (and I'm moderately sure I do) Brandon said that Vasher has experimented with Awakening using Stormlight but was having difficulties making it work.

But where is Ironeyes? What is Marsh doing? If he's doing off-world stuff, he must be max espionage because his physical appearance is pretty one-of-a-kind.

My business is my own mate... B)

Argent, I'm having trouble finding the WOB (I don't think it is on Theoryland...) but I am positive Brandon has answered this question. If I remember correctly (and I'm moderately sure I do) Brandon said that Vasher has experimented with Awakening using Stormlight but was having difficulties making it work.

This might be, I think it rings a bell. 

A lot of people take that quote to assume that there IS a way, he just hasn't figured it out yet. I haven't figured out how to turn my front door into a unicorn; that doesn't mean it's possible (realistically).

I feel like he's said the matter/Investiture/energy thing before.

I believe he's said Marsh is in Southern Scadrial. I could be wrong.