Calamity Tour - Philly, PA

Oudeis

UPDATE:

Here is the Transcription. (incomplete)

Please help by listening to the two parts of the signing-line audio. Split because there was a bit in the middle where he talked personally, briefly, about someone he knows and he asked me to excise it. I found the spot, and hopefully it was only the one he mentioned to me, but if anyone is listening to help me transcribe, if you notice him discuss personal matters please let me know so I can take down the audio and splice it again. I will be checking myself, but I wanted to get it up so that people have time to transcribe it before the event tomorrow, hopefully reduce the chance of doubled questions. He did expressly say there was just the one part, and the part I removed matched the description he gave me, so fingers crossed I'm in the clear.

Who is going?

Anyone from the Washington, DC area want to carpool?

The place is Children's World. It looks like a pretty simple commute from Philly, but from most other places it will be far easier, faster and cheaper to drive.

EDIT:Per store website, the signing is at 4pm.

17 Haverford Station Rd,
Haverford, PA 19041
(610) 642-6274

This is the same place he had it last year that ended up getting not-snowed out. They asked at the time that people purchase a book in order to attend the signing. You can call them, and order it if you give them a credit card.

Edited by Oudeis

I'll be there! As long as it doesn't get not-snowed-out again. Nice turn of phrase, that. I eventually went to the venue to pick up the book I ordered for the event last year, it was a cute little book shop. Emphasis on little. I've never been to a Philly event, but if Boston's Shadows of Self tour was any indication of turnout, you'll definitely want to arrive early if you want to be inside the store itself. Although it's also possible they have a back room or something like that I didn't see during my visit.

​I'll be up for hanging out afterwards, too, if Sharders are interested in going to a diner or bar. My brother is the bartender at a.bar in Rittenhouse Square, which is about a fifteen minute drive, so that's where I'll probably be going afterwards unless there are people that would rather do something right by the bookstore.

I'll have my phone and an external battery to record the signing line. He's always fine with it. If memory serves, last time it was scheduled there I called the store to ask, and I was told that they didn't mind as long as it was fine with the author. If anyone has equipment better than my phone's mic, that would be awesome.

Oudeis, you know I'll be there. I'm glad it's on a weekend this time so that we can get there early! I've already lined up a dog walker to come that night to give SiMon a walk.

I haven't looked into rental cars yet...but I'll get to it. The only other DC Sharder I know of is Kipper. Maybe we can DM him to see if he's interested. We could also pick up any MD Sharders along the I-95 corridor on the drive up. 

My brother is the bartender at a.bar in Rittenhouse Square, which is about a fifteen minute drive, so that's where I'll probably be going afterwards unless there are people that would rather do something right by the bookstore.

This signing starts relatively early, and his YA crowds tend to be smaller... I'm holding out hope that if we hang out long enough, the event will end and he'll consent to get a coffee with us somewhere and hang out. Prolly gonna see about a diner in walking distance, but if he's down with a 15-minute drive to a bar that's cool.

The event website (http://www.childrensbookworld.net/events/) says that Calamity must be purchased at Children's Book World for entrance to the event (and it must be Calamity). After that, Brandon will sign any other of his books purchased at CBW. Also, you may bring one book from home for each of Brandon's books purchased at CBW.

Hey guys, this is my first signing (I tried to go to the Philly one last year but...) so I am really excited! However, I also have an etiquette question. Is it acceptable to give Brandon something when I see him in the signing line? I'm not really asking if its common, more wondering if he has ever vehemently rejected a gift of some sort. His work has been a huge blessing on my life and I kind of want to show my appreciation. Any wisdom from the signing line experts?

1. I am bringing a gift.

2. I have brought gifts in the past.

3. People frequently give gifts. The most common are Magic: The Gathering cards and ... I think cookies? Some delicious snacky-thing, I forget what specifically he requests.

Avoid giving anything that would be creepy under any circumstance and I think you're good.

I never know what to ask for as my personalization. Any suggestions? I'm fine with just him signing my books but in the past he's just written random things, like once he wrote RAFO when I hadn't even asked a question. So I'd like to ask for a personalization. I guess I should think of a couple of softball questions he's sure to answer, or just a quote or something?

The books will be Bands of Mourning, Firefight, and Calamity.

Got one if you please to ask:

Did Hoid and Rayze break their friendship before or after the splintering of Adonalsium? 

Guess will be a RAFO but if you don't know of anything maybe it'll be useful to know wether Odium hates Hoid because of Odium or because of Rayze

They were friends once? The only thing I know about their past is that in The Letter, Hoid refers to Rayse before the Shattering of Adonalsium as "the most loathsome... of individuals".

There is a WoB about them as friends in the past. But at the moment I can't find it.

There is a WoB about them as friends in the past. But at the moment I can't find it.

Here you go Yata:

Interview: Feb 15th, 2014
WOB-signed book (Verbatim)
Alaxel ()
? is unknown, but likely a request for previously unknown information to be added to a personalized copy of TWOK
Brandon Sanderson ()
Alaxel got a personalized copy of WoK, and written in it was "Odium and Hoid were once friends."
Tags

Just got a phone call from the venue. Apparently there's been a loosening in the policy. You still have to buy a copy of Calamity, but beyond that you can bring however many books from home as you want. He will sign them all, but will only personalize three.