What's your choice: Feruchemy or Allomancy?

Oathbringer

Yeah, but metals and the alloys are really expensive.

Iron and steel? Not really, not in the amounts an Allomancer needs. Gold is useful in feruchemy but not so much in Allomancy. Other than that there's not many metals that are too expensive, Electrum maybe? But again it's of arguable usefulness. 

Iron and steel? Not really, not in the amounts an Allomancer needs. Gold is useful in feruchemy but not so much in Allomancy. Other than that there's not many metals that are too expensive, Electrum maybe? But again it's of arguable usefulness. 

Zinc, Brass, Tin, Pewter, Steel, and Iron are all pretty easily accessible. Beyond those, though, most of the metals are of limited usefulness. Copperclouds aren't needed in our society and you'd be unlikely to find another allomancer with Bronze unless we'd all get the powers, Aluminum is pretty useless for allomancers and Duralumin, while it could be useful, is rather limited. Same applies for Chromium and Nicrosil. Then Gold is useless and electrum of limited use. Bendalloy might be the most useful of the expensive metals though, being able to speed up your personal time so you can study before a test or finish a report for work or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_poisoning

Just adding that here... I can accept Scadrians being less affected by metal poisoning, but that is not going to carry over to reality. Unless we say it does, which I can still accept.

In TFE, Kelsier teaches Vin to burn off all her residual metals each night because some of them are damaging when digested. Allomancy prevents poisoning by straight-up getting rid of all the metals you ingest.

For me, Feruchemy is it. An iron ring or bracelet would allow me to be lighter indefinitely, which would allow a more (and less spectacular) version of Allomantic steel and Allomantic iron, which fits me better than tossing myself around on a constantly-changing ballistic trajectory. Steel would allow for bursts ridiculous speed and reflexes at crucial moments. Zinc (stored while trying to fall asleep) would allow for quick problem solving at critical points. Honestly, a properly-prepared feruchemist will be less of an unstoppable death machine (as a Mistborn would) and more of a super-spy (in my opinion). Though, admittedly, I'd not use it for super-spying...

Bands of Mourning spoiler view at your own risk!

While i've been in the feruchemy camp since the origonal mistborn trilogy...the thing that hands down, make feruchemy the best

Feruchemy allows you to share your powers

Edited by hoidhunter

And you don't have to store to use them, speed feruchemy is pretty useless in our world anyway, how often do you really need to run somewhere really fast?

Copper is arguably the most useful ability but even so without the extensive memorization techniques practiced by Keepers you're not going to get near as much out of it.

How often do you need to run somewhere fast? You obviously aren't thinking about the practical applications. True, compounding makes it easier, but really. You can win any speed eating contest with Bendalloy and maybe steel. Don't like the smell? Tin Feruchemy.

The practicality of joining a speed eating aside, the world is all about who does what first, as Hoid says. Speed is the single most powerful ability in that regard, especially since it does so much more than running. You can do any physical thing faster. If you can find time to store it is a significant advantage.

Edited by natc

Something that I really like about feruchemy is that many parts of it replace jobs that we use technology for.

"How often do you need to run somewhere really fast?"...change "need" to "want"...at least 3 or 4 times every single day...I just usually drive my car...but cars kind of suck...they pollute...they're expensive to buy, fuel, and maintain...they take up a lot of space.  I would love it if I could replace my car with a steel bracelet.

Imagine NEVER feeling too hot or too cold.  It sounds like a trivial thing...but I think that would be epic.  Really...you never need AC or heat to stay comfortable.

Now...winning eating contests would be neat...and I don't personally have a problem with my diet (I'm one of those freaky skinny dudes who's been the same weight for like 20 years)...but using bendalloy to maintain a perfect diet would be awsome.  You never over eat, because you just store the excess...and it would be a huge time saver to just skip meals and feed off of your reserves.  You also wouldn't really need to store food in your kitchen...just eat it and keep the nutriton for later.  This also means that you never have to let any food go to waste...that leftover chili will only keep for a few days...but bendalloy minds don't come with an expiration date.  Not to mention that you could keep your self perfectly hydrated at all times.  90% of americans and constantly underhydrated and have their health suffer in some way as a result...never having to drink through the day...but being perfectly hydrated would be really handy...and a big help to your health.

I could go on...and will...just not now...

Edited by hoidhunter

Something that I really like about feruchemy is that many parts of it replace jobs that we use technology for.

"How often do you need to run somewhere really fast?"...change "need" to "want"...at least 3 or 4 times every single day...I just usually drive my car...but cars kind of suck...they polute...they're expensive to buy, fuel, and maintain...they take up a lot of space.  I would love it if I could replace my car with a steel bracelet.

You'd also want Bronze, Brass, Gold, Bendalloy (with hydration rather than calories), and Cadmium so you wouldn't tire while running. And you wouldn't need much of each, a Gold Earring, a Bendalloy and Brass Ring, a Bronze necklace, a Steel Bracelet, and a small Bar of Cadmium (wrapped at most pointz) in your pocket or something so you don't get Cadmium poisoning (I know it's cadmium inhalation but better safe than sorry).

A little extra stored (or storing in the case of Brass) up of each could get you somewhere fast without tiring out, and probably without sweating much, if at all.

You don't have to actually run to go fast while steelrunning. That's actually pretty nice too.

If you're traveling and aren't the one paying attention to the steering wheel store away.

Have all the survival comforts too, as hoidhunter points out. With modern technology we actually exert ourselves less, so some of the attributes are far easier to come by.

Personally, Allomancy seems to be the best. Because this is our world, no one knows about Soothing or Rioting. You could easily achieve many things you want to by getting others to do it. You just have to be like Breeze, nice and gentle Soothing and Rioting. You want to do something fast? Bendalloy, lots of it. Iron and Steel have a generally limited use if you are trying to remain hidden and not become a soldier or something.

I suppose I'd go with Feruchemy, easiest to hide in this world. Someone having a couple of rings or piercings isn't that uncommon, besides being able to memorize book-quotes with a coppermind or heal with a goldmind would be a nice experience. Also steel and iron, being able to travel fast at the cost of some weight and a few weeks of speed would be great. Never miss that train ever again.

Mistborn All the way! Although I would really only burn Bendalloy and Cadmium frequently however it would be cool to every thing as it would save time travelling around if you burn Iron or Steel or Pewter. Yeah so that is why being a Mistborn rocks. Oh and you get obsidian daggers so what could be better if you lived during the Lord Ruler's time? Apart from Guns!

I feel like the practical uses of allomancy aren't given enough credit. Soothing and rioting would be extremely handy in almost all situations. Cadmium and bendalloy would both be extremely useful for certain things. Being strong and having energy is still definitely a useful thing, pewter is good for more than just punching people. Plus you could burn a pinch of tin to help wake up in the morning.

Edited by Authweight

I feel like the practical uses of allomancy aren't given enough credit. Soothing and rioting would be extremely handy in almost all situations. Cadmium and bendalloy would both be extremely useful for certain things. Being strong and having energy is still definitely a useful thing, pewter is good for more than just punching people. Plus you could burn a pinch of tin to help wake up in the morning.

Also there is something to be said that once you get the hang of it and set up your house right, you basically have telekinesis with iron and steel  :)

As dearly as I love allomancy, I have to go Feruchemy. The powers that always stuck out to me when reading were brass, steel and iron, and while I would love to soothe, I am deathly afraid of heights and would not be able to use pushes and pulls the way I want to... That, and I love the idea of being able to use duralumin and chromium Feruchemy, as they seem super interesting. And I'd love to be able to give my friends some powers through the nicrosil/aluminum combo! I know several stressed friends with schoolwork who could benefit from zinc or bronze.

As I was thinking about various Metalborn powers, Allomantic pewter struck me as one of the most versatile (this may be related to the fact that I was helping out in the garden and carrying some heavy stuff :ph34r: ).

Let's forget about overtapping for a moment, as I suppose you don't usually need to move at sound speed or something... Let's stick to regular tapping, like x2.

Allomantic pewter gives equivalent of Feruchemical:

• pewter
  • steel
  • brass (I remember something about Ham going around in sleevless jacket in winter)
  • gold (as I suspect that the extent of healing we usually see with Bloodmakers is serious overtapping)
  • probably cadmium
  • probably bendalloy
  • it doesn't give you full bronze, but at least physical half (as Feruchemical bronze let's you to offset both physical and mental fatigue, while Allomantic pewter deals only with physical)

It's about a third of Feruchemy powers. I know gold is useful mainly for quick regeneration, but constantly burning pewter would help you to recover way faster than regular humans.

What's more, it gives powers which Feruchemy can't:

• improves balance
  • improves durability (if it's hard to break your bones, then you don't need that much healing, do you?)

It's quite a lot, I'd say. And it comes with the advantage of all Allomantic powers - you don't need to store. On the other hand, there is only that much flaring it, so it's a trade-off. No running on walls, unfortunately.

So a Pewterarm Full Feruchemist is a force to be reckoned with. And I'm not talking about Compounding strenght - you can store the attributes I listed and balance it with burning pewter. You can store more health than normal Feruchemist. You can store more speed than normally possible. The list goes on.

• Chaos locked this topic