Oathbringer

What's your choice: Feruchemy or Allomancy?

70 posts in this topic

And you don't have to store to use them, speed feruchemy is pretty useless in our world anyway, how often do you really need to run somewhere really fast?

... I don't know if I'm weird or something, but I constantly need to be somewhere fast. It may have something to do with me being lazy and doing things at the last possible moment, but I'd finally stop being late everywhere.

You can be the Flash when you want to. C'mon, you could run on the walls. If that's not cool, I don't know what is.

Besides, you don't have to overtap all the time! You can tap at half the normal rate and do things like 1.5 times faster? 1.25 times faster? It doesn't seem much, but it adds up. You can post on Shard very fast. You can become the worlds greatest gamer in shooters or something (who doesn't want super reflexes?). You will always be fast enough to catch things you dropped. You can set Youtube to always 2.0 speed and be fine with it (you can now watch twice as many videos in the same time!). Read books a lot fa...

This would probably require excessive storing, but you could probably buy new Cosmere book at the signing or something, read it, and ask Brandon questions. He's like "Oh, today is the release of Oathbringer and I'm signing things" and you go and ask a million questions from it.

You can crack codes and passwords in real time. Probably.

Steelrunning is one of the most versatily Feruchemic abilities, there are tons of uses for it.

... I don't know if I'm weird or something, but I constantly need to be somewhere fast. It may have something to do with me being lazy and doing things at the last possible moment, but I'd finally stop being late everywhere.

You can be the Flash when you want to. C'mon, you could run on the walls. If that's not cool, I don't know what is.

Besides, you don't have to overtap all the time! You can tap at half the normal rate and do things like 1.5 times faster? 1.25 times faster? It doesn't seem much, but it adds up. You can post on Shard very fast. You can become the worlds greatest gamer in shooters or something (who doesn't want super reflexes?). You will always be fast enough to catch things you dropped. You can set Youtube to always 2.0 speed and be fine with it (you can now watch twice as many videos in the same time!). Read books a lot fa...

This would probably require excessive storing, but you could probably buy new Cosmere book at the signing or something, read it, and ask Brandon questions. He's like "Oh, today is the release of Oathbringer and I'm signing things" and you go and ask a million questions from it.

You can crack codes and passwords in real time. Probably.

Steelrunning is one of the most versatily Feruchemic abilities, there are tons of uses for it.

We don't have many supervillains here to catch so being the Flash isn't really needed. As for wallrunning, sort of? Given how we've seen Steelrunning working I don't think you could run on walls at all, gravity seems to still effect you as normal as does friction.

Computers don't speed up with you so passwords are out, plus you'd break the keyboard if you tried, you'd rip the pages out of the book unless you were very careful and even if you were you'd probably destroy the spine and if you were moving fast enough you'd generate enough friction to set it on fire.

Plus again for all those things you need to find the time to store the speed. Want to watch a youtube video twice as fast? Spend 10 times longer being painfully slow, want to read a book in a few seconds? Spend a few weeks being late for everything and really unproductive.

We don't have many supervillains here to catch so being the Flash isn't really needed. As for wallrunning, sort of? Given how we've seen Steelrunning working I don't think you could run on walls at all, gravity seems to still effect you as normal as does friction.

Of course gravity affects you normally. But with enough speed you can fight it. A trained freerunner can do what, up to three steps wallrunning? It's all about speed here. That's actually true: if you had Flash speed, you could easily run on walls.

Well, friction could be troublesome (that's why Flash has fireproof suit or something along these lines). It would be a limiting factor. You probably couldn't climb a skyscraper by wallrunning, but I bet you could easily run on ceiling.

Computers don't speed up with you so passwords are out, plus you'd break the keyboard if you tried, you'd rip the pages out of the book unless you were very careful and even if you were you'd probably destroy the spine and if you were moving fast enough you'd generate enough friction to set it on fire.

You're right about computers. Even if you were faster than computer, the bottleneck is the processing speed. So let's leave it to computers.

As for the book, you could read ebook. You just need to push a button. The beauty here is that these buttons don't care how fast you're pressing them, but how many times you push it. Reading a book will always result in the same number of pressing the button.

Plus again for all those things you need to find the time to store the speed. Want to watch a youtube video twice as fast? Spend 10 times longer being painfully slow, want to read a book in a few seconds? Spend a few weeks being late for everything and really unproductive.

There're a lot of times you can store physical speed. Commuting. Learning - seriously, you just need to read, storing speed won't affect you much. Eating. Washing yourself. Waiting for the bus. I'm sure you could find a lot of times during the day when you could store different attributes easily. Just keep Feruchemy in mind during your normal day and you would find multiple occassions for storing.

Also, you could store a little all time, get used to it to improve your reflexes and actual speed. Feruchemy would be useful for exercising, really. Learning how to live while being a little slower and weaker and dumber and etc. would give you a boost when you stop storing. It's like walking with weights attached to your limbs.

Edited by Oversleep

Of course gravity affects you normally. But with enough speed you can fight it. A trained freerunner can do what, up to three steps wallrunning? It's all about speed here. That's actually true: if you had Flash speed, you could easily run on walls.

Well, friction could be troublesome (that's why Flash has fireproof suit or something along these lines). It would be a limiting factor. You probably couldn't climb a skyscraper by wallrunning, but I bet you could easily run on ceiling.

I mean that gravity affects you as though it were increased at the same rate as you, otherwise running at all is impossible, which is another reason wallrunning is impossible, no gravity to keep you at the right height to take your next step.

You're right about computers. Even if you were faster than computer, the bottleneck is the processing speed. So let's leave it to computers.

As for the book, you could read ebook. You just need to push a button. The beauty here is that these buttons don't care how fast you're pressing them, but how many times you push it. Reading a book will always result in the same number of pressing the button.

Again you're pretty likely to break something, plus loading times for each page still bottleneck it somewhat.

There're a lot of times you can store physical speed. Commuting. Learning - seriously, you just need to read, storing speed won't affect you much. Eating. Washing yourself. Waiting for the bus. I'm sure you could find a lot of times during the day when you could store different attributes easily. Just keep Feruchemy in mind during your normal day and you would find multiple occassions for storing.

Reading would be drastically slowed because your eye speed and thinking speed would be decreased drastically, anything that involves repetitive motions like eating would be difficult because you'd strain your muscles too much.

Commuting works, but only if you use public transport, if you're driving then your reflexes are decreased and you'll probably crash and die.

You couldn't even really do it while watching tv, you wouldn't be able to process what you're watching fast enough. Speed is one of the most difficult traits to store.

Also, you could store a little all time, get used to it to improve your reflexes and actual speed. Feruchemy would be useful for exercising, really. Learning how to live while being a little slower and weaker and dumber and etc. would give you a boost when you stop storing. It's like walking with weights attached to your limbs.

It wouldn't improve your reflexs more than if you tried to improve them using any other method, plus we have no idea how muscle development interacts with feruchemy.

This has always been a tough question for me. On the one hand, as others have pointed out, Feruchemy is, in my opinion, vastly more practical in our world. Given the amount of time most of us spend sitting around, storing many of the physical attributes would be incredibly easy. Zinc, Steel, and Copprr are the biggest draws for me, but Pewter, Tin, Brass and Bronze are also super handy. So for utility, Feruchemy all the way.

But Allomancy is just so.. cool! From an awesomeness standpoint, being Mistborn is hard to beat. Steel and Iron alone are practically worth it, and at that point Pewter, Tin, Zinc, Bendalloy, just seal the deal. Cause the thing is, at least in the mood I'm in right now, if I'm gonna have magic, I want it to be awesome, not just useful.

If it's apparently possible to open a door while overtapping speed in SoS without the doorknob mechanism being torn apart I think the book will be fine.

I mean that gravity affects you as though it were increased at the same rate as you, otherwise running at all is impossible, which is another reason wallrunning is impossible, no gravity to keep you at the right height to take your next step.

Wait, why would be gravity increased? Where did you get that from?

Again you're pretty likely to break something, plus loading times for each page still bottleneck it somewhat.

Hm, maybe you could write a program to automatically turn pages... With good processing speed computer is gonna win anyway.

Reading would be drastically slowed because your eye speed and thinking speed would be decreased drastically, anything that involves repetitive motions like eating would be difficult because you'd strain your muscles too much.

Commuting works, but only if you use public transport, if you're driving then your reflexes are decreased and you'll probably crash and die.

You couldn't even really do it while watching tv, you wouldn't be able to process what you're watching fast enough. Speed is one of the most difficult traits to store.

But storing physical speed does not impair your mental speed. Eye movement is fast enough to not be largely affected by storing speed.

It wouldn't improve your reflexs more than if you tried to improve them using any other method, plus we have no idea how muscle development interacts with feruchemy.

Well, reflexes would be improved since you'd be living in sped-up world. You can train your reflexes (voluntary reflexes, I mean).

Yeah, that's right we have no idea how Feruchemy interacts with exercising. Time to add it to the List.

If it's apparently possible to open a door while overtapping speed in SoS without the doorknob mechanism being torn apart I think the book will be fine.

Books are a lot more fragile than solid metal, you can open a doorknob pretty quickly without damaging it as long as you don't try to force it.

Wait, why would be gravity increased? Where did you get that from?

Hm, maybe you could write a program to automatically turn pages... With good processing speed computer is gonna win anyway.

But storing physical speed does not impair your mental speed. Eye movement is fast enough to not be largely affected by storing speed.

Well, reflexes would be improved since you'd be living in sped-up world. You can train your reflexes (voluntary reflexes, I mean).

Yeah, that's right we have no idea how Feruchemy interacts with exercising. Time to add it to the List.

In world evidence, if it wasn't running is almost impossible, running with any kind of precision is certainly impossible, your hang time between steps would be dozens of times longer, it'd be like walking on the moon.

Could do I suppose but it seems like a lot of difficulty to go to, you'd probably sink more time in than you'd save.

It must, otherwise you wouldn't get bullettime when you tap it. If you want to strain your eyes insanely then sure.

Not necessarily, more likely you'd just be dead. You'd get better at processing fast speech, maybe peripheral cues but I don't see your actual reflexs speeding up. There are plenty of things in the world that move far faster than we do that we need to process, storing speed isn't going to help much.

I'm definitely in the feruchemy camp for my current real life settings. I work and office job, 40 hours sitting and doing easy easy work that requires very little focus or thought. Ideal for storing any sensory attribute, speed, mental speed, even health. I could stand to feel crappy for a while just sitting at a desk in exchange for more health later. Also storing a lot of health would be a convincing way to get a day off if you really needed.

Storing weight would also be less disorienting while sitting as would speed, though my typing would suffer. My job requires no strength at all so that's a check. With my shift being 8pm-6am wakefulness storage would be a great way to sleep on those annoyingly bright days and I could tap it on especially slow shifts to avoid falling asleep mid-call (yes I've done that).

Now bendalloy is extremely appealing to me. I find eating on a regular basis to be very tedious and I just don't care for it. I would love to have one daily feast of all my required calories and then be done with it, bendalloy on a slow tap throughout the day as needed. It's like a dream come true for me.

So yeah. Feruchemy is my jam.

In world evidence, if it wasn't running is almost impossible, running with any kind of precision is certainly impossible, your hang time between steps would be dozens of times longer, it'd be like walking on the moon.

Not necessarily, more likely you'd just be dead. You'd get better at processing fast speech, maybe peripheral cues but I don't see your actual reflexs speeding up. There are plenty of things in the world that move far faster than we do that we need to process, storing speed isn't going to help much.

I'm not sure what you mean with this gravity stuff.

As for the hang time... hm. Marching very fast while tapping speed?

The thing is, if you have weak reflex, you can train it. Like throwing a ball or something similar. After a time you adapt. Now, that's where storing speed kicks in. You can voluntarily lower your speed, so you're slower than you normally are. You can repeat the same training with each iteration storing more speed at the moment.

I'm not talking about full storing, rather storing just a little.

I'm not sure what you mean with this gravity stuff.

As for the hang time... hm. Marching very fast while tapping speed?

The thing is, if you have weak reflex, you can train it. Like throwing a ball or something similar. After a time you adapt. Now, that's where storing speed kicks in. You can voluntarily lower your speed, so you're slower than you normally are. You can repeat the same training with each iteration storing more speed at the moment.

I'm not talking about full storing, rather storing just a little.

Still doesn't solve the problem, we need gravity when walking, look at astronauts, walking becomes a bit difficult there. When we push off from the ground we don't just move forward, we move upward as well, normally gravity pulls us back fast enough to take our next step but when we move 10x faster it wouldn't have the time

Feruchemy.  I think it'd be more useful in everyday life.  Allomancy is handy in a lot of ways, but seems very combat oriented.  It'd be good for soldiers though, for sure.

Feruchemy as lots of things could be used in everyday life, such as time manipulation, weight, mental speed, and healing.

This was actually a very easy decision for me.

Freuchemy.

Top two abilities on Scadrial are Healing and Connection.  Very few people go around or jump around punching other people in the face. And even then, Sazed tapping steel and pewter gets to beat up a Steel Inquisitor.  But Allomancy has no substitutes for being able to heal oneself and being able to communicate with pretty much everyone in the world.

Also, for frozen wasteland or high mountain types, feruchemy is a no-brainer because that's what it was traditionally used for before the Final Empire.

Much as the idea of Coinshotting my way around appeals, I'd have to go with feruchemy. It's just too broadly useful to pass up

Freuchemy.

Top two abilities on Scadrial are Healing and Connection.  Very few people go around or jump around punching other people in the face. And even then, Sazed tapping steel and pewter gets to beat up a Steel Inquisitor.  But Allomancy has no substitutes for being able to heal oneself and being able to communicate with pretty much everyone in the world.

Pewter heals. Not as extensive as gold but it also has the balance then when you are burning it, you take less damage to begin with. Although you do have me connection wise, using soothing or rioting would certainly cause someone to be more inclined to help me, and maybe teach me the language, or learn mine lol. 

If I was on Scadrial, I'd go full Mistborn: Allomancy seems to me like it's more go-getting, not to mention how much I fell in love with the idea of shooting around Luthadel in the mists, getting involved with the intrigue and politics of the Great Houses.

In life as we know it however, as many others have said: Feruchemy; it's far more applicable to the kind of problems/ situations we are likely to face.

Hm, I would have to go with Allomancy. As much I'd love to have the ability to store up health, flying on allomantic pushes sounds better. 

Regardless of your choice it would be very expensive... Can you imagine buying all that metal to make metalminds, or for consumption? I mean, totally worth, but expensive nonetheless. Not to mention that not all the metals are real. Either way I'd pick feruchemy because I think it has more place in the modern world, although I'd love to be able to fly as a mistborn. 

Regardless of your choice it would be very expensive... Can you imagine buying all that metal to make metalminds, or for consumption? I mean, totally worth, but expensive nonetheless. Not to mention that not all the metals are real. Either way I'd pick feruchemy because I think it has more place in the modern world, although I'd love to be able to fly as a mistborn. 

uh, every single one of those metals except Atium and Lerasium are real world metals.

Allomancy, for the fancy Mistcloak alone. (Also I'm assuming AOL knowledge of metals).

Allomancy hands down.  It's not even close. 

I could fly.  Seriously, I COULD FLY!

Allomancy. I am too impatient to store everything. Beside what fun when you gain nothing?
mistborn for the win!

Feruchemical chromium + a casino. (Almost) Instant cash.

So, Feruchemy. It solves more real life problems, while allomancy would just be cool.

Allomancy. I am too impatient to store everything. Beside what fun when you gain nothing?

mistborn for the win!

There's while your reading, sleeping, being on the 17th shard...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_poisoning

Just adding that here... I can accept Scadrians being less affected by metal poisoning, but that is not going to carry over to reality. Unless we say it does, which I can still accept.

So I have to pick between some really useful powers, or being able to fly...

And allomantic pewter of course. Allomantic pewter is insanely useful. Have to carry something heavy? Pewter. Sick? Pewter. Cold? Pewter. Too hot? Pewter. Slept too little? Pewter. Hurting somewhere? Pewter. Have to run somewhere fast? Pewter. Get in a fight against all odds? Pewter.

Of course feruchemy has answers to all of it, and can do it better in a lot of cases, of course you need to store it up first, but still.

My problem with allomancy is that it has so many useless abilities. Even the aluminum and nicrosil combo could be useful. You could share some of your powers with your friends, or even better, ask your friends to fill a metalmind for you!

And duralumin. Even if it didnt give you the ability to understand any language it would be extremely useful. Store when you are feeling anti social (personally happens to me a lot) tap when you need to be social. Perfect.

Tin, tin would be useful too. Loud noise annoying you? Store hearing. Bad smell? Store smell. Tap whenever you need to eavesdrop or pretend you are a tracker.

And if that wasnt enough there is chromium. Im going feruchemy. There are just so many useful powers.