The Shus and the Shards

Blackhoof

I'm positive that I'm not the first one to notice this, but does it seem to anyone else that the two main religions in Elantris (Shu-Korath and Shu-Dereth) are similar in philosophies to Sel's two Shards (Devotion and Dominion)?

Dereth: Strict, hierarchical, orderly, and expansionist. They are driven by divine mandate to expand and convert, an effort to control the world, in an effort to release Jaddeth.

Korath: we know less about this, but it seems sedate, relaxed, not as interested in conversion or evangelism. It seems a religion about quiet, personal devotion to Domi.

I don't suggest that the Shards themselves (that were splintered, after all) guide the religions, but perhaps they inspired Korath and Dereth in the beginning. Or perhaps the lingering effects of their Intents (like a mist spirit for Preservation) inspired, started or indeed remain to guide the religions.

The similarities just seem too uncanny to be coincidence.

Perhaps Keshu was aware of how the Dor was the mixture of Devotion and Dominion, and tried to incorporate both Intents in his religion.

It would be interesting if the schism that led to Shu-Keseg splitting into Shu-Korath and Shu-Dereth was part of a secret long-term plan to separate the two components of the Dor (e.g. by somehow funneling all of Dominion's Investiture out of the Dor using Dakhor) so that a new person could gain the Shard of Dominion. I wouldn't be surprised if the Skaze (with their puppet, Wyrn) have a plan similar to that.

Edited by skaa

Sanderson draws heavily from Jung's collective unconscious for the Cosmere.

It is likely IMO that knowledge of the shardic presence on Sel somehow leaked through to Keshu, giving him the foundation for Shu-Keseg.

What's interesting to me is that the religions went in the opposite direction as the shards themselves.

One religion splitting into two, linked to one shard each, instead of two shards (being splintered and) coalescing into one substance (the Dor).

Compare to the religions Sazed collected on Scadrial: he said that many of them claim two gods, with various names, but all referring to Ruin and Preservation.

As to Skaa's theory, I don't think the different manifestations of the Dor draw from either its Devotion or Dominion aspect, at least, I've read nothing to indicate this so far.

As to Skaa's theory, I don't think the different manifestations of the Dor draw from either its Devotion or Dominion aspect, at least, I've read nothing to indicate this so far.

Oh, I also believe that most types of Dor usage involve a mixture of both Intents. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm speculating that there might be special Forms that somehow attune to only one of the Splintered Shards of Sel.

Oh, I also believe that most types of Dor usage involve a mixture of both Intents. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm speculating that there might be special Forms that somehow attune to only one of the Splintered Shards of Sel.

Yes but every Regional Sub-Magic System on Sel seems pretty neutral as a whole

Yes but every Regional Sub-Magic System on Sel seems pretty neutral as a whole

AonDor has (even in Name) more to do with Aona/Devotion (and it seems only truly devoted people can become Elantrians). And the rites of the Fjordellian monks seem to rely heavily on dominion: You need a willing human sacrifice to teleport, God Beyond, that's something to chew on.

AonDor has (even in Name) more to do with Aona/Devotion (and it seems only truly devoted people can become Elantrians). And the rites of the Fjordellian monks seem to rely heavily on dominion: You need a willing human sacrifice to teleport, God Beyond, that's something to chew on.

But the Aon Omi and the Teleport of Drahkor are specific task in the whole Sub-Magic System. It's possible that exist an Aon near to Dominion and a Drahor's Power near to Devotion. Simply they didn't usually (or at all) use them

• Chaos locked this topic