Secret History Reactions [Secret History Spoilers]

Chaos

• 1 month later...

I was actually surprised by the Hoid sequence in general. 

Especially that although we've long figured he couldn't hurt people, he can apparently hurt dead people?

Cool.

The thing remains, how did he get offworld after the release of ruin? Did he just hang at Scadrial for three hundred years, or did Harmony's shardpool form and allow him to flee?

Stuff with Leras was actually a really nice touch, especially the camaraderie, also nice to see that Leras did actually make contact with Kell in the Pits. 

I actually don't like that Kell was behind so much of resistance against Ruin, it kinda seems like he undercut a lot of the achievements of Vin and so on.

Overall, cool to see the world expanded so. 

5 minutes ago, Savanorn said:

how did he get offworld after the release of ruin?

Couldn't he have just used the well once Ruin was no longer trapped in it? Or do you imagine the Well probably isn't usable for the better part of a millennium while the power is restoring?

13 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Couldn't he have just used the well once Ruin was no longer trapped in it? Or do you imagine the Well probably isn't usable for the better part of a millennium while the power is restoring?

You got it, gon.  

The well is empty post release and he had to submerge completely in its waters to cross realms. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2016 at 11:44 AM, Oversleep said:

One word:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

That moment when Kelsier and Vin reunited, though. So heartwarming.

+1

I made the mistake of getting to this part right as I was about to go to bed.  Sleep was postponed.

• 1 month later...

I first ran across Brandon Sanderson books back in August. I've finished reading all of the main Mistborn novels up to this point (plus this novella). This novella answered some questions I had during my first read of the original trilogy. The main question that always stuck out to me was how Elend got stabbed at the Well of Ascension. They thought it was Preservation, but I thought Preservation attempting to kill someone was a blatant discrepancy of that shard's nature. Makes more sense that Kelsier put the knife into motion. That's totally something he would do lol. 

Had to mostly stay away from this website while I was catching up with Sanderson on most of his novels. Think I've read enough now to be able to discuss some things around here without worrying about spoilers so much.

17 minutes ago, Andy92 said:

I first ran across Brandon Sanderson books back in August. I've finished reading all of the main Mistborn novels up to this point (plus this novella). This novella answered some questions I had during my first read of the original trilogy. The main question that always stuck out to me was how Elend got stabbed at the Well of Ascension. They thought it was Preservation, but I thought Preservation attempting to kill someone was a blatant discrepancy of that shard's nature. Makes more sense that Kelsier put the knife into motion. That's totally something he would do lol. 

Had to mostly stay away from this website while I was catching up with Sanderson on most of his novels. Think I've read enough now to be able to discuss some things around here without worrying about spoilers so much.

Then welcome to the Shard! Have an upvote!

• 3 months later...
  • Chaos unpinned this topic

I just finished reading the novella (a year and a half late but oh well) and while I loved most of it, as a fan I think the biggest 'issue' I had was the ending with Vin and Kelsier. I think both of their actions were in character (though I thought Kelsier may have been more wanting to go to Mare) but in my head I had always enjoyed picturing Vin and Kelsier reuniting in the afterlife for longer/forever and that Kelsier would, well, stay dead. Guess it will take some time for that to absorb!

• 1 month later...

It really took the trilogy and shed a new and unexpected light on it. Suddenly everything that happened requires reexamination and thought which underscores the tremendous depth of the worlds' plots' and characters that Brandon has put together. Excellent piece of work which I hope gets a sequel. 

• Chaos locked this topic