Secret History Reactions [Secret History Spoilers]

Chaos

Discuss the novella, Mistborn: Secret History here. It is strongly recommended that you not only have read the original trilogy, but also Bands of Mourning before reading this. You should just close this thread and forum if you haven't. For the announcement, see here

Go ahead, I'll wait.

For the rest of you, this is your place. ;)

This topic will open 12:01am Mountain time, January 26th. It will remain locked until then. When you are able to reply to this thread, that means you post spoilers in this forum, so you can make other topics at that point, too. Please review the Bands/Secret History spoiler policies too!

Edited by Chaos

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

This novella was everything that I could have hoped for and more. Everything that I ever wanted to know about Realmatic Theory, the Cognitive and Spiritual Realms of Scadrial, the true nature of a Shard's Spiritual power, the true nature of being consumed by Shardic Intent, the cognitive emptiness of interstellar space combined with the first signs of the relationship between a planetary gravity well and the borders of its cognition....

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW

I am extremely interested to know more about what's happening on Threnody, and whether or not there is more magic on that world than we thought. I am extremely interested to know more about the beings whose powers of mind are so great that they can shape the fabric of the Cognitive Realm into an energy pipeline for an entire outpost. I am extremely interested to know if there is a reason why the spirits of objects on Scadrial resemble the spirits of objects on Roshar.

I am also tremendously pleased that Elend, Vin, Sazed and Kelsier were all able to achieve some semblance of peace and understanding with one another before Elend and Vin moved on outside of the cosmere. It pleases me a great deal that Sazed started out on better terms with his god hood than we thought.

I am incredibly happy that Brandon was willing to give this novella to us. Another mighty step forward in our understanding of Realmatic Theory and the Cosmere!

What I love about this novella is that I feel that, like Kelsier, we've been allowed behind the curtain to see the actors and stage for what it is.  The entire story felt like a kind of 'behind the scenes' journey, with so many Cosmere nuggets that I'm still processing all of the implications.

Also, I think we need more Khriss and Nazh like YESTERDAY!

I loved the characterization of Preservation/Leras, and found his slow deterioration to be absolutely captivating.  It was also fun to see Kelsier's continued struggle for "survival" and his slow ascent from bumbling almost dead cognitive shadow to a Cosmere - Savvy mover and shaker.    

Here's my reactions, as I was posting them to a friend as I read:

Oh Kelsier. You die, and OF COURSE the first thing you do is punch the God that greets you. Then try to recruit him to your crew. Oh how I've missed you.

And Leras! I always knew he admired TLR. The twit.

Huh. TLR passed on, without waiting.

I saw Hoid (angled face anyone?) and wondered if it was him, until he began the insult game. Than I knew!

Although I was surprised that Hoid could hurt him, even just cognitively. Maybe it has to do with him being so near Ruin? Although I guess Hoid has hurt plenty of people's sanity before as well. ;)

Finally! Khriss! Nazh! We finally get to meet you!

And Kelsier tries to be an allomancer. Sorry bud, not going to work for you.

(BRANDON AVALANCHE!)

Vin should be called a MistBURN for what she dealt out to Kelsier. Oh SNAP!

Overall, I really enjoyed it! I felt like this Kelsier isn't the same Kelsier from FE though. He feels.... different. Granted, it's been 10 years since Brandon's last wrote him, but I still found the story immensly entertaining and rich in realmantic explanations. We also finally know why Vin avoided Hoid. 

Also, I've heard a theory going around that after Spooks century of rule, he spiked himself allowing Kelsier to take control, and that's how we get the one-spiked Survivor in charge of the Southerners. What do you guys think? And do you think Harmony approved? Or supported it?

This had so much information in it, it was incredible. What makes a person able to attune/ascend with a Shard, so much about the Cognitive Realm on Scadrial, and even a hint at how Elantrians keep their power when away from the city (if I was reading that right about the "glowing" liquid the "ancients" drank to restore their silvery glow). Kel impersonating Ruin to haunt them was also really funny. 

Also, Adonalsium was (if we believe Nazh and Khriss) intentionally killed by the 16, but they all had various reasons for killing him/it, which I don't think had ever been confirmed before, right? 

Basically, in one story, Kelsier learned as much or more as a lot of people have over many years of puzzling this stuff out. Which is just so appropriate for him.

Also he punched two gods.

Welcome, Trampador! 

so wow.  I've definitely got a lot more clarity on a number of aspects of the Cosmere now.

Is Trell *Devotion*?!!! I never saw that coming.

It's interesting that we never saw any direct interaction between Kelsier and Demoux.  How do we explain Demoux' almost-miraculous knowledge in HoA?

I've always loved the genre-hopping in Brandon's short standalones: Shadows for Silence let him tell a ghost story, Sixth of Dusk was a tropical adventure, AoL was a western, etc.  I felt like this novella was a Grimms-esque fairy-tale, or a myth about a trickster-god.

The genre choice let Brandon play a little more fast-and-loose with character continuity than he usually does.  At first, I had trouble with the Ire section: these are people who have set up the most advanced outpost we've seen yet, and who are planning to steal a Shard from a living Preservation, under the nose of Ruin at the height of his power.  Khriss, the most knowledgeable entity in the Cosmere, doesn't want to mess with them.  And they're acolytes of Devotion, which we should expect means that they're utterly committed to their cause.  In other words, they're the ultimate badasses.  But Kelsier gets them to scatter and run with some spooky voices and some fire under his shirt? --It didn't seem believable.

But then I realized the story Brandon was telling was the story of a trickster-God, like Coyote or Raven or Loki or Renard.  Standards for believability in this genre are different from standards in other genres, and a lot of the best stuff ever written was in this genre--if you've never read Amos Tutuola's "The Palm Wine Drinkard and his dead Palm Wine Tapster in the Deads' Town", go read it right now.

I have to admit I was a bit less immersed in this novella than in Brandon's others--there seemed to be a bit of tension between the plot and info-dumps.  That said, the info was incredible, and I'll definitely be doing a re-read soon.

Edited by ecohansen

Also, Adonalsium was (if we believe Nazh and Khriss) intentionally killed by the 16, but they all had various reasons for killing him/it, which I don't think had ever been confirmed before, right? 

This makes sense considering that we have a WoB that Adonalsium could have been broken differently.  

Wow, just wow.

Kelsier punching Preservation, that's a top 5 Sanderson moment for me.

We finally got to see the Cognitive Realm on Scadrial! This whole book was a treat for this alone, to not only get a glimpse of it (like Stormlight) but an entire story.

The Elantris sequel hadn't been that high on my list of expectation, that changed dramatically with the Ire. I need to see how the Elantrians get to this point!

More Khriss and Nazh!!

The last interaction between Vin and Kelsier, the dam nearly broke. So many emotions. I couldn't handle them.

This is going to need another reread, there was so much going on in this novella that no way did I get it all in one go.

The last interaction between Vin and Kelsier, the dam nearly broke. So many emotions. I couldn't handle them.

Nearly? If that scene didn't have you bawling like a child whose first pet just died then you might want to get some scans done so the doctors can tell why exactly you don't have a heart.

Nearly? If that scene didn't have you bawling like a child whose first pet just died then you might want to get some scans done so the doctors can tell why exactly you don't have a heart.

I do have a heart! Might be a little black at times but it does exist! Lol I was emotionally distraught, definitely. But for reasons unknown, crying just doesn't come often when I read. I get more of a numb feeling during sad points instead of tears, guess that is just how my body handles it.

Pretty happy - I've been supporting Sel as the bad guys (Although betting on Dominion, when it looks like Elantrians might be the problem) so seeing that they've been causing problems on Scadrial is very satisfying. 

I still think that Dominion is involved, if only because it looks like the powers have remained merged - The Elantrians are drawing on Dominion as much as Devotion.  I'm taking partial credit, anyway.  

I have not read the novella yet. (I'm pretty busy the rest of the week, so I'm fine waiting on Amazon to get their act together.) I have not read a single post in this forum. I just wanted to come in and say that all the titles popping up in the news ticker are tantalizing me to death. Not saying that they're spoilers, but I'm wondering what the heck happened in this book that makes people mention stuff like Yolen and Spikey.

Keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

I have not read the novella yet. (I'm pretty busy the rest of the week, so I'm fine waiting on Amazon to get their act together.) I have not read a single post in this forum. I just wanted to come in and say that all the titles popping up in the news ticker are tantalizing me to death. Not saying that they're spoilers, but I'm wondering what the heck happened in this book that makes people mention stuff like Yolen and Spikey.

Keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

That Yolen instance was too much and I have edited it. People need to keep these a lot vaguer.

That Yolen instance was too much and I have edited it. People need to keep these a lot vaguer.

I guess I really need to watch it. I didn't know merely mentioning a place that isn't even in the novella in the title was a spoiler. I'll be really careful in the future.

OMG I'M FAN GIRLING SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH RIGHT NOW! OH BRANDON YOU MAGNIFICENT CREATURE. HOW DO YOU PRODUCE SUCH PERFECTION??????

Now onto ramblings:

• Seriously though this book had me laughing and crying simultaneously. I've missed the crew so much and now we get to see most of them? It brought back the magic of the original books. :wub:
  • So the cognitive realm looks different in each sharldword. In Roshar it's filled with spheres and in Scadrial it's mists.Does this mean that in Sel it would be filled with Aons and Colours in Nalthis?
  • Kelsier and Hoid fighting was absolutely hilarious.
  • I can't believe Docks would curse Kelsier though. Was that Fuzz being mean?
  • We now know why Spook was interested in Hemalurgy. It was Kelsier all along :ph34r:
  • Why wouldn't Sazed help Kelsier return to the physical realm?
  • What happened to the soul Hoid was using as a raft?
  • Who were the smugglers who used Ruin's well and what were they smuggling?
  • What's up with the Ire and them not being dead?
  • I thought Vax was a planet. Did Ati think he was on it or that Kelsier looked like him? Also did he become the "kind and generous man" again that was mentioned in the letter after he died?
  • Were the Elantians trying to get preservation cause both their shards where shattered and take the shard back to Sel?

I'm sure I'll remember more stuff but right now I'm basking too much in the glow after finishing a cosmere novel and novella to digest the book properly.

Edited by lookingglass

Did anyone make a note of the name Leras mentioned, as if she was a friend or lover or something? I was all excited about everything the story was revealing and breezed through without doing so, and now I'm regretting it. I even forgot what I'm pretty sure is Hoid's original name, but I managed to find that (and, yes, I have read the sample chapters for Liar of Partinel; I'm just assuming that Brandon wasn't married to the name in there).

Did anyone make a note of the name Leras mentioned, as if she was a friend or lover or something? I was all excited about everything the story was revealing and breezed through without doing so, and now I'm regretting it. I even forgot what I'm pretty sure is Hoid's original name, but I managed to find that (and, yes, I have read the sample chapters for Liar of Partinel; I'm just assuming that Brandon wasn't married to the name in there).

Cephandrius is not Hoid's original name, just an early pseudonym (it's the name he uses in Dragonsteel Prime).