2017- the year we all have anticipated greatly?

Ningudo

Good day respected citizens 

So I have lately been thinking of the possibility that three of our most anticipated fantasy books, Oathbreaker, Doors of stone and Winds of winter, be published in 2017.

1. Oathbreaker - Stormlight 3#.  There's noway this book will be released during 2016. Mr Sanderson have been writing the first draft fulltime almost 6 months now,  and he is halfway into the first draft(44% as we speak). 

Considering that, we could extrapolate the first draft to be finished somewhere juni - august. After the first draft there is usually about a year to publication date, that is a very rough estimate, but at least I think its safe to say that they will not publish Oathbreaker in less than 6 months after that the completion of the first draft. To compare, the first draft of word of radiance was completed on first of july 2013, and published 4 march 2014.

My expectation: spring or summer 2017

btw, judging by Sanderson tweet, the oathbreaker should be at least as big as WoR. That's good news for all Stormlight fans like me :)

2. Winds of Winter, ASOIAF 6#. This one is harder to guess. Unlike Mr Sanderson, Mr Martin do not share a progress bar with his viewers, furthermore his writing tend . But we know this, he can not have much left to write inte the book of couple of reasons, maninly because there have been news that he really tried to finish the first draft to halloween, an then later he set at deadlin ti new years eve. After failed that deadline, he went out in his blog and declared that he will not be able to publish the novel before the sixth season of game of thrones. But what does all this says about the current situation of WoW? It says two relevant fact regarding publication date, (1) he is bad att keeping deadlines and maybe a slow a bit slow in writing (2) WoW is close to the finish line.

How close? Let us read what he said regarding finishing WoW: "I am months away still... and that's if the writing goes well. (Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't.)"

My expectation: Early 2017

3. Doors of stone, Kingkiller chronicles 3# Unfortunetely, the talented author, Mr Rothfuss nearly never do DoS updates , so here we are in the dark - completely.  But we know that the book is finished long time ago, but its a matter of revisions and finding that satisfiyng ending as he himself said in a 2 year old post in goodreads. Even though DoS "only" needs revisions, it is clearly the book farthest away amog these three novels. Why? Because there is acctually no reason to believe that DoS is any nearer a publication date that it was 2 years ago.

That would explain the absence of updates.

Even though there is no real evidence of progress, I do believe that the author is working and for every year he is closer, and by 2017 I think he will have to announce the release date, even though its not that almost-perfect ending he so muched wanted it to be.

My expectation: 2017 

What do you think guys?

I think I only care about Oathbringer ;)

The dates seem reasonable, the rough call for The Winds of Winter is that Martin does not seem to do drafts. He writes and revises until he finishes. You also can not put too much stock in how close he feels he is to finishing. The best indication that progress is being made is that he is taking on less outside work and is traveling less. The latter is very important, since he writes on an old computer only, so if he is traveling he is not writing.

My thoughts.

Oathbringer is coming out in spring 2017, to the latest. Brandon has confirmed he would be done with the writing this spring. The editing process does not take up to 18 months, but it will be longer than anticipated. The good news is this book finally is the top priority which means the team is unlikely to work on other books as it had in the past months.

I am still hoping they'll manage to release it end of 2016, but it seems unlikely.

Winds of Winter will come out in a rush. The book is fairly advance if we believe GRRM latest news and, unlike SA, I do think what he has written has already gone through editing. In other words, I expect the book to be released shortly after he puts his final dot as his previous books were. He works very differently than Brandon: his books don't go through a long editing cycle.

I am personally expecting it for summer 2016. 

Doors of Stone, I have not followed this one closely, but based on all accounts, I do not expect the book to be release this year. I have no feeling whatsoever as to when it will be finished.

• 1 year later...

Doors of stone and Winds of winter is nowhere to be seen. I feel like its impossible to estimate Rothfuss and Martin, it could be 2018 or it could be 2028. I honestly I tired of waiting for those books. Thankfully we have an amazing author, Brandon Sanderson, that not only writes amazing stories, but actually delivers consistently. I wouldn be suprised if Sanderson managed to release SA4 before Rothfuss/Martin :)

9 minutes ago, Ningudo said:

I wouldn be suprised if Sanderson managed to release SA4 before Rothfuss/Martin :)

In all seriousness I think that may be a very real possibility for Rothfuss. I think Martin is 2018. Dance with Dragons was announced completed and published 3 months later...a remarkable thing for the publishing industry. Then again Martin is unique and sends in his writing as he is working so it is edited as he is writing. Rothfuss' editor has not seen any of Doors of Stone. 

Yeah, of some reason everytime I read 'oathbringer' I read it in my head as 'oathbreaker'. I don't know why, maybe it sounded as a more fitting name, but it wasnt on purpose. Only this year I started to read 'oathbringer' as 'oathbringer'.

But when you think about it, isnt oathbreaker a great name for a book?

7 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

hm?

He was making a joke about the 2nd set of five books being the opposite of the first five. 

The Way of Kings- The Peasants Path

Words of Radiance- Words of Darkness 

Oathbringer- Oathbreaker

• Chaos locked this topic