Hoid

Lilamal

I think he held Adonalsium, if only for a brief time. He didn't become a Sliver because that's what happens when you take a Shard's power. He became something more.

He also may have become something less. He wouldn't have the power of a Shard, but he would have become immortal, and been able to worldhop easier than most people, as well as being more receptive to magic in a way that allows him to gain and use it easier.

Well if nothing else, the investiture that his soul is made from probably came from Adonalsium, like how Scadrialian souls are made from Ruin and Preservation.

His soul would have been altered, but it wouldn't be made from it, as he already had one before he held it.

It doesn't matter if he ever held it or not, if shardic (term isn't quite accurate anymore is it) investiture in Yolen is what created life there, then his soul would be of Adonalsium as a Kelsier or Sazed's soul would be of Preservation and Ruin. Whether he was ever Adonalsium at any point has nothing to do with what I said.

I never thought about it like that. That would mean that he would be eligible for every magic system. I wonder if there is anyone else like him. And by like him I mean is there anyone else left that was alive back then. If Hoid (Midius, not the old Hoid) survived than some other people probably could too.

Edit: Every magic system but AonDor, apparently. Not sure about the other parts of the Dor

Edited by Lilamal

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2016 at 2:27 PM, Lilamal said:

His DNA is of Adonalsium? What do you mean?

This reply is close to mine

On 2/4/2016 at 1:17 AM, natc said:

Well if nothing else, the investiture that his soul is made from probably came from Adonalsium, like how Scadrialian souls are made from Ruin and Preservation.

If Hoids sDNA is that of Ando, then there should be some way to 'hot wire" each magic system

I've been wondering if Hoid is successful in gaining access to each magic system if he could somehow combine all of the different types of Investiture to form a "mini-Adonalsium" so to speak within himself. Not sure if something like that is even possible or if the Investiture would be powerful enough to really do anything significant, but it's something I've been wondering about.

Realize that before you two, the last post was in February of last year.

On that note, both of you suggested things that we have been over before. Hot wiring may be easier for him, but we don't know his motive for collecting powers. My personal opinion is that he wants to be a one man army, and being a mistborn lightweaving awakener, along with other abilities we don't know about, puts him well on his way to achieving that.

On 1/27/2016 at 0:53 PM, Lirins hand said:

I've always thought the number of legs was interesting.  Even on Roshar, all creatures have bi-lateral symmetry, don't they?  Even numbers of appendages?  And why 17?  Just from memory, most creatures seem to have 6-8 legs (only the chasmfiend had a bunch more at 18).  

An attempt to ferret out if Kaladin is aware of the 17th Shard?  Dropping a hint for him to remember?  Just a weird anomaly since he didn't start out with a 3 legged rabbit or something similar.

Very smartly noted.  I remember reading that and only noting that an odd number was weird and Hoid's distaste for cremlings.  I agree that he was vaguely referring to the seventeenth shard.  Perhaps Hoid is going around, trying to uncover some secrets about it(, while remaining hidden from the seventeenth shard)?  I remember him saying something like "There is little I don't know, but that little bit can be a real kick in the teeth sometimes."

Also, somewhere online, someone said that you can catch Hoid using allomancy on Roshar.  Can't find that.  Could someone tell me about that?

2 hours ago, Runeweaver said:

Also, somewhere online, someone said that you can catch Hoid using allomancy on Roshar.  Can't find that.  Could someone tell me about that?

From WoR chapter 45:

Shallan turned back to the newcomer. She caught, with a subtle movement, the man slipping something from his coat pocket and moving it up toward the drinks. A shock coursed through Shallan. She raised a hand. Poison—

The newcomer covertly dumped the pouch’s contents into his own drink, then raised it to his lips, gulping down the powder. What had it been?

Shallan lowered her hand. The newcomer stood up a moment later. He didn’t bow to Father as he left. He gave Shallan a smile, then was down the steps and out of the box.

If you remember, Hoid talks to Shallan shortly after this scene.

Note that it isn't explicitly shown that he performed Allomancy, but it's been speculated for a long time that the "powder" Shallan saw him drink was an Allomantic metal. Given that Brandon already said that we saw Hoid use Allomancy, that chapter is the obvious place to look. A popular theory is that Hoid was using Emotional Allomancy on Shallan during their conversation.

Edited by skaa

• 5 months later...

I'm glad that I finally found a list of Hoid theories, I have one that I would like to share. And if anyone has a criticism of this theory, please tell me what it is so I can think about it. Okay the set up to my theory is this:

I started to think about how we could learn more about Hoid and decide to see what the Shards thought of him since they knew who he was at one point.  We see in Secret History that Preservation knows him but does not see him as a threat, apparently Odium will turn Hoid into space dust if he finds him, and from Hoid's own lips he says that Honor bought him drinks, seemingly as an act of kindness. I thought on these clues for a while and started to get an idea which got bigger when I considered Hoid's characteristics. As we have seen, Hoid is a master at both understanding how a person thinks and blending into the background in a disguise. I my experience, if you want to learn about how a people think you have to be exposed to a large group of diverse people over a long period of time and slowly learn why they do the things they do. This is strengthened by another master of disguise in the Cosmere: Wayne, who will bend his mind to conform to the thought process of the type of person he is pretending to be. What I get from this is that Hoid has at one point been around many, many people and was around them long enough to learn what each of their motivations were and why. Hoid also hates Odiums shardholder, was on Yolen, was at the Shattering, and while he is a man, has been altered in some way. I took all this information and made a crazy theory which is this:

What if Hoid was the guide of the 16 Shardholders to the location where they shattered Adonalsium?

I know that it sounds crazy but let me explain. Hoid knows tons of stories and information about people. He could learn this if he was leading people around Yolen from one place to another for years. This also explains why he understands people so well since he was around them so often. What I think happened was this: the 16 needed to be at a certain place to take down Adonalsium but didn't know hoe to get there. So they had Honor find a guide to show them the way(possibly convincing him over drinks?). Now Hoid is no idiot and probably realized that this group was up to something big and decided to keep his eyes open. So he leads them to the place they asked for, all the while doing his usual antics causing some to be amused and others to be more then a little annoyed. Once they get to the location Hoid has probably figured out what is going on. Wanting to prevent him from either stopping them or telling others Odium's shardholder attacked him and seemingly killed him. But Hoid still had enough strength left to witness them shatter Adonalsium and their ascension. Now when something that reality breaking happens there are always aftereffects, and because Hoid was right in the line of fire of the Shattering he got an unprecedented look into the three realms and was exposed to so much Investiture that it altered his soul, mind, and body. Now he roams the Cosmere for some unknown purpose, but plans to have revenge on the man who tried to kill him and after seeing so much of the Cosmere in an instant, is slowly unraveling all of its secrets.

So that is my Hoid theory, if you disagree with it please tell me what is wrong in a polite way please. Thank you.

• Chaos locked this topic