Hoid

Lilamal

I've always thought the number of legs was interesting.  Even on Roshar, all creatures have bi-lateral symmetry, don't they?  Even numbers of appendages?  And why 17?  Just from memory, most creatures seem to have 6-8 legs (only the chasmfiend had a bunch more at 18).  

An attempt to ferret out if Kaladin is aware of the 17th Shard?  Dropping a hint for him to remember?  Just a weird anomaly since he didn't start out with a 3 legged rabbit or something similar.

That may be nothing more than a coincidence. It seems a bit inconsequential a spot to toss out 17th Shard bait.

However, Brandon Sanderson is a very detailed writer and loves his easter eggs. It wouldn't surprise me if Hoid WAS fishing, here. I kind of hope this is true, now.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question...

What evidence do we have that Hoid is a "Good Guy"? WoB says he was present at the shattering, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that he was also the cause of the shattering. All we really know is that he shows up everywhere and we all really like him because he's this fun easter egg in the stories, but how do we know he has good intentions? What if the 17th Shard is hunting him for very very good reasons?

What evidence do we have that Hoid is a "Good Guy"? WoB says he was present at the shattering, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that he was also the cause of the shattering. All we really know is that he shows up everywhere and we all really like him because he's this fun easter egg in the stories, but how do we know he has good intentions? What if the 17th Shard is hunting him for very very good reasons?

Frankly, we don't. Unless I'm forgetting something. We don't know what Hoid is up to, we don't know why the 17th Shard is chasing him, we don't know what, exactly, he does on the worlds he visits. And I kind of like that ambiguity with him.

Edit: Also, nice name. Even for Mistborn, it's a buried nugget.

Edited by Ardjet

We don't. All we can guess is that he is because he seems to help out the Protagonists in the books he is in, because he's generally funny, and can't bring himself to kill. Other than that his purpose or plan is unknown except that he seems to be collecting power from each world he visits and isn't a fan of Bavadin and Rayes. 

We don't. All we can guess is that he is because he seems to help out the Protagonists in the books he is in, because he's generally funny, and can't bring himself to kill. Other than that his purpose or plan is unknown except that he seems to be collecting power from each world he visits and isn't a fan of Bavadin and Rayes. 

About that (spoiler tags because I only know this from reading Mistborn: Secret History, but I'm not going to actually mention any events from the novella, so this may not be too spoilery for some folks),

Hoid actually can't kill people. He can't even physically hurt anyone. Seems to be some kind of magical prevention in place.

That may be nothing more than a coincidence. It seems a bit inconsequential a spot to toss out 17th Shard bait.

However, Brandon Sanderson is a very detailed writer and loves his easter eggs. It wouldn't surprise me if Hoid WAS fishing, here. I kind of hope this is true, now.

I think he just chose a random number.

I suppose you all know that most people when asked to pick a random number from 1 to 10 choose 7. Also if you hear some number a lot, you're probable to pick it.

It seems that Hoid has 17th Shard on his mind a lot and subconsciously picked 17.

Nah, he mentions the legs too specifically, and as an odd number, to be coincidental in my mind.  If you are telling a story about a 3 legged rabbit and have to translate it to Rosharian fauna, then it makes sense but this way seems to be deliberate.  Just don't know why.

Discuss Secret History spoilers only in the relevant subboard. I am sorry, signspace, but you're in the mod queue for breaking rules. Don't do it again.

See relevant spoiler policy here: http://www.17thshard.com/news/brandon-news/bands-of-mourning-release-spoiler-policies-mi-r247

I have hidden the spoiler post.

Just something I noticed recently that seemed odd. I don't fully understand Investure, I should by now but still not 100% on it. Still something I noticed is that Hoid seems to be collecting the different magics of each world he goes to. He has a Lerasium bead, so if he wanted he could become a powerful alomancer (or maybe he is already), He has foresight into where he needs to be and where to go which is Feruchemy, He has an ability similar to light weaving (Says on the wiki that its illusion magic from Yolen), He is extremely long lived (don't know if this is a specific power or just something Hoid can do although I am inclined to think the latter, since cheating death seems his thing) and finally there is world hopping. 

I mean....is there merit to this? He is always travelling with no specific purpose, other than to push the various protagonists towards their goals. He might know something and is preparing for it. Think about it for a moment. Odium is splintering shards this is causing massive damage to the worlds that they are on, to some extent I think Hoid is aware of this and is gathering weapons to stop him if it comes to that. But then even if he had all these weapons he can't kill because of something in his past.

This is a long shot but I think Hoid is gathering these powers, these, pieces of different Investure for a purpose. He might not be able to kill man (Rock says he is forbidden by other gods) but nowhere did it state that Odium or other shards are men any longer. 

I dunno.....there's holes in my theory but thought I'd post it anyway. I like the speculation, the constant guessing keeps me on my toes when I find something new. 

Odium is splintering shards this is causing massive damage to the worlds that they are on, to some extent I think Hoid is aware of this and is gathering weapons to stop him if it comes to that.

I think that could be a nice idea, but since Hoid also hates Rayse, there is a bit of bias involved since I figure Hoid would want to stop/kill Rayse no matter what.

Speaking of Hoid's powers, how does he have so many? Most of them are supposed to be given randomly, but he has failed only at becoming an Elantrian. How is it possible for one man to gather so many powers, even though it shouldn't be possible to give them to yourself through alternate means than being chosen for them randomly (excluding Allomancy because of Lerasium and his version of Lightweaving?

"So you're finally talking about Hoid again? Took you long enough."

"Al'Viran?"

"What?"

"Stop talking."

Edited by Lilamal

Speaking of Hoid's powers, how does he have so many? Most of them are supposed to be given randomly, but he has failed only at becoming an Elantrian. How is it possible for one man to gather so many powers, even though it shouldn't be possible to give them to yourself through alternate means than being chosen for them randomly (excluding Allomancy because of Lerasium and his version of Lightweaving?

"So you're finally talking about Hoid again? Took you long enough."

"Al'Viran?"

"What?"

"Stop talking."

Hoid is a Feruchemist, I suspect his knowledge of investiture and the Feruchemical manipulation of Identity are both large contributors in him picking up so many powers.

Edited by Iron Eyes

It's possible, but I suspect that it's something else. That seems a little too obvious for Brandon. It's probably something else, something unique to Hoid. After all, Brandon said he started out as a human, but had changed enough for him to say "It's complicated," when pressed further on the subject.

We do not know how Hoid acquired Feruchemy, but the rest is accounted for:

• Lightweaving is his original basic system
  • Allomancy was gained through burning lerasium (do we have confirmation that he burned it? I remember that something was unclear about this)
  • Breaths can be given to anyone, so they're probably the easiest to have. We do not know if he can use Awakening, though.

It's possible, but I suspect that it's something else. That seems a little too obvious for Brandon. It's probably something else, something unique to Hoid. After all, Brandon said he started out as a human, but had changed enough for him to say "It's complicated," when pressed further on the subject.

See, the funny thing is that I think saying "It's something unique to Hoid" is the more obvious answer.  I mean if we go with that logic then there's really no point in theorizing about Hoid whatsoever, since we can always hand wave it as a "Hoid thing" at least until Dragonsteel comes out.

For the record, I'm not hanging my hat on the fact that this is the answer.  I just like that for the first time ever Brandon has introduced a valid method (beyond Hemalurgy which we know he isn't using) that can explain Hoid's powers.  

See, the funny thing is that I think saying "It's something unique to Hoid" is the more obvious answer.  I mean if we go with that logic then there's really no point in theorizing about Hoid whatsoever, since we can always hand wave it as a "Hoid thing" at least until Dragonsteel comes out.

For the record, I'm not hanging my hat on the fact that this is the answer.  I just like that for the first time ever Brandon has introduced a valid method (beyond Hemalurgy which we know he isn't using) that can explain Hoid's powers.  

Yeah, I know, but I still can't see Hoid stealing powers from people who have no idea what they are doing when they unWittingly (heh heh, get it? Hoid is Wit, unWittingly?) give him their powers. Plus, he probably wouldn't be able to find many people who could use Feruchemy outside of Scadrial unless aluminum and nicrosil can be used by anyone (can they?).

"That was a horrible pun and you know it."

"Yeah, I know (sigh)."

Edited by Lilamal