The Official Thread of Relationships

Start by finding some common ground. If they really are a complete stranger, you can also introducing yourself, but keep any actual conversation based around the context of the situation. If you work together, or are in the same class, ask them about something related to that. Even if you already know the answer, asking them about something as simple as when an assignment is due can be a good way to break the ice.

Keep in mind that none of this comes naturally to me either, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. But based on observing how others act around new people, I'd say the template above is a good starting point. After that, my plan would be to get more of a connection before asking them out, but others might just go for it right off the bat.

Honestly... Part of the problem is that I don't know -how- to meet new people.

I'm really, really awkward and kinda...we'll, embaresed by myself irl. And the usual method of finding people around here -going out, getting drunk, kissing and going from there- so doesn't appeal to me.

I'm really, really awkward and kinda...we'll, embaresed by myself irl. And the usual method of finding people around here -going out, getting drunk, kissing and going from there- so doesn't appeal to me.

First of, do not be ashamed of yourself: you hardly are the only mid-twenty individual who still hasn't been into a relationship. Ever seen the movie Never Been Kissed? A classic of my own teenage-hood  :ph34r: It features a girl who, at 25, still hasn't kissed a man ;)  My own husband never kissed a girl until he was 22, his friend must have been 28. My husband managed to marry me after the intervention of Super Pink :ph34r: and his friend has been into several relationships. He is currently being very serious with a woman he met in his condo building.

Society puts the emphasis on how young certain individuals enter the relationship business and all it entails. It gives everyone the perception "normality" is having had several relationship by the time you are 20 which is absolutely false. There are a lot more people who are going through the exact same thing than you would believe.

Meeting people and dating in the wonderful world of adulthood is not the same as for teenagers. Most people, when they leave school and enter the work market, start to realize meeting new people is suddenly much harder.  School tends to provide endless opportunity to meet people with similar tastes and ages: it isn't so true for the work market. Besides dating your co-worker can be weird and even badly seen in certain companies. The good news is single individuals looking out to meet other single individuals with the purpose of entering into a relationship are legion. While you may find some into bars, I'd say there hardly are the ones you want to meet. In a general manner, people who hook up in bars are just looking for a quick fix, not something serious.

Serious people are not to be found in bars, for the most part.

Serious adults tend to go to online meeting sites where they create a profile and seek to meet other people with similar tastes. Most will exchange messages before agreeing to meet, sometimes it doesn't go farther than texting as it becomes clear you aren't a good match, but sometimes it moves forward. My anxiety riddled sister did meet several men through the online dating site. People you meet there made a profile for a reason: find a partner. Just like you. And there are just as nervous as you, many are just as awkward, but they all want to find a special someone.

Other serious adults will engage into speed dating which may be harder to do if you are naturally anxious. Speed dating entails you spend about 5 minutes with someone, ask questions, then move to the next table to do the same with the next someone. If enables you to screen out potential partner. All of those who register are there for that reason. It is a rather get down to the point kinda of approach.

All this to say, do not be ashamed of yourself, do not despair and "getting drunk in bars" hardly is the privilege way to meet a partner. If you are really serious about finding someone, you could try finding a good online dating site. You are sure to meet other people there and you can screen them off based on their tastes. For instance if "outgoing, loves sports and adventure" does not appeal to you, you just skip  ;)

Relationships. Urgh.

Okay, fine. Total confessions, fun disclosure, all that jazz?

I have not been in a relationship. Actually, I'll go further; I, in my mid-20's, have not even had my first kiss.

I... have absolutely no idea how to talk to someone who I'm interested in. At all. In fact, I have no idea how to even meet new people. Talking to complete strangers sounds... insane, and... well, I have confidence issues. I can't imagine anyone would genuinely be interested in me that way.

So.. uh... yeah. Any advice?

talking to strangers is not quite as insane as it seems.

I usually just introduce myself, you can never go wrong by saying "hi, my name is (*insert name here*),"

from there you just ask weird questions like: where did you grow up? or (in my case) "IS THAT STEELHEART YOUR'RE READING!"

find a similarities between you and the other person, and before you know it you're friends for life with potential for more.

It's so interesting to read this thread. It's nice to look at when people are young.

Now, I am pretty bitter about relationships right now (or maybe apathetic is a more appropriate word). This post will probably be a downer, but eh, I wanted to complain a little too.

For all of you with your relationship issues, on asking out girls/guys, I of course wish for the best for you. But honestly, I am a bit jealous that you have been able to find people you actually like and want to be with.

Let me explain.

Most people I know who have gotten into good relationships have met through school or mutual friends. That's about it. I was not so lucky. I have tons of female friends, but they never really had single friends to set me up with. I am currently kind of depressed because I'm out of college with my Master's, and now I am a professor at a university. Let me tell you, it is a new kind of awful when you are a 25 year old professor, because a lot of students are totally in my age range (well, some are, at least). But, you obviously can't flirt with students, and I don't. In principle it is fine if I was with a student as long as they weren't, you know, in my class, but generally I imagine students don't want to go out with professors. Totally reasonable. All of these totally reasonable things make it so I am at college surrounded by tons of potentially awesome girls, but I literally cannot make the first move ever. It's super fun.

So, I don't know how the crap people meet people outside of work and school. I've had zero luck. My coworkers are a lot older than me and are also married. It's delightful. I've briefly tried online dating, but this university town is too small and selection is not high.

I've never really had trouble talking to girls--almost all of my friends are girls--but I think I just live in the wrong spot and am totally screwed because of it.

So Eric's depressing note for today: enjoy meeting people while you can!

...Okay, that's pretty depressing xD Sorry if this is a downer, haha.

It's so interesting to read this thread. It's nice to look at when people are young.

Now, I am pretty bitter about relationships right now (or maybe apathetic is a more appropriate word). This post will probably be a downer, but eh, I wanted to complain a little too.

For all of you with your relationship issues, on asking out girls/guys, I of course wish for the best for you. But honestly, I am a bit jealous that you have been able to find people you actually like and want to be with.

Let me explain.

Most people I know who have gotten into good relationships have met through school or mutual friends. That's about it. I was not so lucky. I have tons of female friends, but they never really had single friends to set me up with. I am currently kind of depressed because I'm out of college with my Master's, and now I am a professor at a university. Let me tell you, it is a new kind of awful when you are a 25 year old professor, because a lot of students are totally in my age range (well, some are, at least). But, you obviously can't flirt with students, and I don't. In principle it is fine if I was with a student as long as they weren't, you know, in my class, but generally I imagine students don't want to go out with professors. Totally reasonable. All of these totally reasonable things make it so I am at college surrounded by tons of potentially awesome girls, but I literally cannot make the first move ever. It's super fun.

So, I don't know how the crap people meet people outside of work and school. I've had zero luck. My coworkers are a lot older than me and are also married. It's delightful. I've briefly tried online dating, but this university town is too small and selection is not high.

I've never really had trouble talking to girls--almost all of my friends are girls--but I think I just live in the wrong spot and am totally screwed because of it.

So Eric's depressing note for today: enjoy meeting people while you can!

...Okay, that's pretty depressing xD Sorry if this is a downer, haha.

I'm sorry. :(  That sounds like a crappy situation.  And I've been there.  Not exactly like that, but at the same age, I was stuck in my tiny, super-rural hometown and probably the only actual geek in the entire county.  It sucked.  I didn't get a life until I finally got my life together and moved away.

I don't know if this helps at all, but I didn't even meet my husband until I was 31.  (And we actually met using one of those internet dating sites, so on occasion they actually do work.)  The right one's always worth the wait.  It's cold comfort right now, I know, but the world is full of surprises.

Everyone needs to rant every now and then  -_- Time for the pep talk.

I think you are seriously under-estimating how attractive and desirable the "teacher persona" can be to a non negligible subset of the young female populace. You are a young single available teacher and you think none of the students would be interested because of your position?  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Allow me to seriously disagree  -_-

I'm woman, I can tell you the second someone under the age of thirty walked into that classroom, back in my days, my eyes went up. A teacher who isn't grizzled or old? Half the girls in your class must be wondering if you are single. A important percentage of the young women who dwell within the higher education system are looking for smart men and nobody appears smarter than the teacher -_-  Of course, dating your direct students is not ethically correct, but the great thing about students is they move out of school (and of your class), eventually. I bet if you ask your older colleagues, you will find some of them met in similar circumstances. Surely the students have events you can attend to in order to get to see some of them outside the school.

You have a good job with a decent pay, you are young, you talk smart: you are prime material here. You just don't know it yet. For having seen many of my friends struggle to get a decent guy with a brain and an actual future, I can say you shouldn't despair, far from it.

You will find someone. Just because your circle of friends haven't come up with anyone decent yet does not mean they never will. Make yourself available, pass the word you are interested in meeting prospective girls. One of my friend took 5 years before she met her guy, through her sister who arranged herself to have them run into each other at some Apple sponsored boring event. They then bonded while watching Batman. They are now married and they have an adorable little girl. You say all your friends are girls.... well surely something will come up. 

So cheer up :)  As Kaymith put it, a lot of people met during their adult years. One of my friend didn't meet the right girl until he was 38 years old: the single daughter of a neighbor. Relationship can come from anywhere, just keep your eyes open and don't give up on the online dating: you never what may come out of it.

I'm... not really sure how anyone expects to foster a predisposition towards stable monogamous relationships with a rule like that. :huh:

late to the party, but it's just for high schoolers and the like. College is where the REAL dating starts. :P

(I kinda bend the rules and have a girlfriend, but you know. :P)

I have this same problem. I have no idea where to start in terms of talking to someone new, and I just come off really awkward. That's all people seem to do where I live as well, is just go out to a bar or club and meet people, but I can't stand it. I've tried online dating but guess I'm not attractive enough to warrant a reply from most people? Lol

I have this same problem. I have no idea where to start in terms of talking to someone new, and I just come off really awkward. That's all people seem to do where I live as well, is just go out to a bar or club and meet people, but I can't stand it. I've tried online dating but guess I'm not attractive enough to warrant a reply from most people? Lol

I've tried online dating, too, and while I've gotten a decent number of replies, I never really clicked with any of them. Right now, I'm taking a break from dating. If someone I like comes along, wonderful; if not, that's good too. You've got something to offer somebody. Just wait for the right person to see it. :) 

I've tried online dating, too, and while I've gotten a decent number of replies, I never really clicked with any of them. Right now, I'm taking a break from dating. If someone I like comes along, wonderful; if not, that's good too. You've got something to offer somebody. Just wait for the right person to see it. :)

Thanks Twi, I appreciate it. :) I feel the same with the replies I have received, I just haven't clicked with them. Plus online I feel it's hard for certain qualities about you to come out. Like I have a sarcastic sense of humor and that doesn't translate well in message form. Combine that with my interests which not a lot of people share, it's just been hard to find anyone that I'd be interested in.

Not all sites are created equal.  Unfortunately, the pay sites have much better screening and tend to shoot back better matches and people who are more serious about it.  On the free sites, you have to sort through a lot of dross to find decent potential dates.

Ah, relationships. This is also going to be a downer-post. It's also going to be long. You've been warned.

I am 28 years old, soon to be 29. I'm also LDS, and I grew up in a city that was about 25% LDS (as for why that's relevant, LDS people usually only date LDS people. There are some exceptions, but that's the norm). I was a group-hopper in high school. I had a lot of friends. Not many really good friends, but whatever. I went to the girl-ask-guy dances, but I was never once asked to a guy-ask-girl dance. I never went to Prom. At one point in my senior year, one of my guy friends--a supposedly really nice guy--lied to get out of going on a date with me. This was not a lie to get out of going on a date period. It was specifically because he didn't want to go with me, despite it being a group date that was clearly just casual (though I had liked him at one point, but then he implied that my liking him was akin to a plague so....yeah. That was fun).

I went to university at BYU-I. This school has a nickname: BYU-I Do. The school even provides counseling to graduating senior girls who are single. This isn't to say that everything is about marriage. But there's these weekly meetings called devotionals and about half of them are on marriage. I never went to them (yes, yes, I'm a very bad student). So while the classes are very educational and you learn a lot, the ultimate push of the school is towards marriage and education rather than just education, and they are both equally important and equally emphasized by the administration. 

I was there for 7 semesters. I went on 3 dates. The first was with a guy who was visiting from my hometown who was a friend of my sisters. We went to a movie. The second was a group date one of my roommates set up. For the third, the guy texted me to see if I'd go to a play with him. I didn't even realize it was a date until we were on it and he paid for me. (Note: Never ask someone out via text. Ever). Despite the school offering counseling, I didn't get it. I didn't need it, since I didn't transfer there to get my M.R.S. degree (though people I knew joked that's what I was doing). I knew I wouldn't get married at that school. I'd kind of hoped I'd get a little more experience though. Date a guy for a bit. Or something.

I'm now in Provo, which is 90% LDS. I live in an area surrounded by people my age and at my stage in life. I go to activities and meet a number of people. One of my roommates is one of the most outgoing people you'd ever meet, and our apartment can be rather bustling at times. I'm also an extrovert. I may not be outgoing, but I love being around people, whether I'm talking non-stop or just sitting there listening to the group chatter. I've been down here for 2 1/2 years, and I've been on one date, exactly two years ago. It was a good date. Fun. But I clicked with the guy more as a friend than anything else and I had no desire to lead him on.

Beyond that one date, I signed up for Tinder for a time, mostly as a laugh. While Tinder in most cities is reserved for booty calls, in the Provo area, it's actually used as a sort of dating service in a way. My roommates were really into it, always matching with guys and talking to them and then going on dates. The outgoing one signed up and less than a week later, she had a date. Got another one shortly after that. She only uses it casually now, but the other roommate still regularly goes on dates with guys she met on Tinder. I saw all this success, and I thought, sure, why not? Let's give it a test. I didn't really expect it to go anywhere, but deep down, I kind of hoped that maybe, just maybe, it would. Even just one date. I got some matches, but nothing more than that. My roommates had told me that they never had to initiate conversations with their matches, and I wasn't sure what to say anyway, so I wasn't about to initiate anything. If the guy did, I'd respond, though. No guy ever did. I'm pretty sure they were the guys who swipe right for all the girls just to see who they match with so they know who swiped right for them. They're the guys who aren't actually interested. I deleted Tinder after 2 months. It was worthless.

I tried online dating for about the same amount of time, when I was still in Idaho. Got the same amount of luck too: zero. That's pretty standard for me. I'll give things like that an honest go for a trial period of about two months, even though I'm skeptical. Even if I don't really think anything will happen. But I'm a hopeless romantic, so it's hard to completely shut down that part of me that hopes something will. That maybe something will. But it never does.

I know what some of you are thinking: it only takes one. I get that. I do. I know. But when it comes to dating and relationships, you shouldn't hope for the exception. When all your life experience points toward the fact that the vast majority of guys aren't interested and the very, very few who are aren't guys that you're interested in, that becomes the rule. If I had even one experience with a guy I liked who liked me back, it wouldn't be--even if that experience ended as an utter disaster. But I don't. So what I do have is the rule. To hope for that one person is to hope for the exception. And really, there's 6 billion people on the planet. If there's only one person out of all of those people, what's the point? I'm probably never going to meet him anyway. (I guess I should've prefaced this with a cynicism warning too....)

As terrible as it may sound, I've kind of resigned myself to singledom. Yeah, yeah, I know, I could meet someone in my 30's. That happens all the time, even up into the 40's and 50's or older. If that happens, it happens, and that's great. But right here, right now, I'm not sure it ever will. But that's okay. I may be a hopeless romantic, but I don't need a guy to make me feel fulfilled in life. Sure, it would be nice, but it's not necessary. I don't care about the lessons I got in church that say otherwise--that a woman needs to marry and have a family to have a purpose. Or the people who say that I'll never get to where I want to be if I don't get married. They're wrong. They're all wrong. My marital status and/or my relationship experience does not define me, however depressing it is. I won't let it define me.

But that hopeless romantic won't stop bugging me, even still.

Ah, relationships.

Im not sure my weird and mildly offensive opinions about anything will help anyone, but hey, here we go. Either I help people or I'll make them angry, win-win.

So I have that entire almost 22, never kissed a girl and such and such and whatever.

And most of you know this already, but I dont get romance. It is so alien of a concept to me that I cant explain what it is I dont get. I understand it in concept in abstract, somewhat, but I dont understand what the difference between being really good friends other than the semantics, I dont understand why it is so important to people, I dont understand what dating is beyond buying someone food until they want to sleep with you, I just dont get it. Now, I dont want you to try to explain it to me, it is going to derail the thread and my friends have already tried hundreds of times. You only end up frustrated.

I dont understand relationship jealousy. It is their body, let them do whatever they want with it. I dont understand crushes, they mostly look like creepy obsessions to me (Which to be fair I have been guilty of. It ended up being a pretty good song... if you found me in your garden would you take me home?)

Most couples just look like they are wearing each other like accessories, or are together because they are too scared of being alone, or for purely physical reasons, which I am ok with, it is the entire "But we are in luuuuv" posturing that annoys me. And some couples are Kaymyth and James and are awesome together, but most are not.

I do however understand the pains of being alone and the lack of physical things, they are human needs, it is understandable.

So I guess I should have a point here. Let us see if I can come up with a twist ending that will make sense... nope. Then I guess my point is the following: If you want to bet half your stuff that you will love someone forever, produce mucus spewing little midgets, argue about the dishes, not have time for the other people you have cared about and die bitter you may do so. I am not stopping anyone, but there are other things to life. Like art, science, nature, a world that is surprisingly strange and beautiful if you figure out where to look (if you do tell me, I want to know). You dont need relationships for that. Even if you are different from me and think they make complete sense and is definitely something you want to do, there are more things to do. Pick up a hobby, get to know the persons you are already fond of better, find more people to be fond of if you happen to be a people person. Get a cat, get two cats, you cant have enough cats. Cats are better than humans, it is scientifically proven.

Somewhere along the way you may find that one person if you still want to and settle down. You just have to excuse me for finding you a little bit insane if you do.

That was incredibly corny wasn't it? Nevermind me, I obviously have no idea what I am talking about. Have a nice day/night.

(I'm turning 21 this year)
The issue for me isn't approaching the girl (not a very big one, at least). I've done it before, badly or well, but I've done it. It's what you do AFTER that. I haven't even held hands.
Sometimes I have problem with noticing that a girl likes me and few years later I have a enlightening "Oh God, I have been. such. an. idiot!"

The first girl I've been with (sort of) hit on me; it seems I have been so clueless she didn't have a choice. We were 16; we had been in one class in middle school (three years) and in high school we were in different classes (or groups? You American people have your classes with different people, right? Here a group of 30 people have everything together). IIRC it started when we were doing Christmass wishes and the brief hug you do with females you know turned out to last a little longer and a little different. And after that you know, the usual stuff, talking on the breaks, talking after school, chatting on Facebook... and then there was the winter break (two weeks in February) and she went to the mountains to ski or something; after it something was off, something wasn't right and after some time I crawled out of it. I felt she's pushing me away. Probably.

Thing is, contact went a little down during winter break, I didn't know how often to text (isn't it too much? Am I not overdoing it? and so on), and then there was Valentines Day and I wasn't sure what to do. At that point we've been together for a month or two. I either wrote something like it was a normal day or didn't text her at all this day, I'm not sure (it was 4 years ago). Now I suspect she might have been hurt by this. Or maybe she realized she didn't like me. But then, I couldn't bring myself to talk about it.

There also were some moments that would cause every telepath walking by to go deaf, my mind was screaming 'PANIC' so loud: We're parting after school, what do I do? Say bye and wave as I'm walking away? Shake hands? Hug like a friend (briefly and in friend-like way)? Hug more intimately (long hug and more soft)? Kiss? How long should we be in relationship to kiss? How do you do kissing? All of that flashed in my mind in a fraction of a second, coming off as "PAAAANIIIIC!!!!". I ended up with friendly hug. She might have been also tired of me not doing anything to push the relationship in the more serious direction, like the situation I just described.
Nevertheless, the fact that a girl hitted on me boosted up my confidence pretty much.

The second one hitted on me during sailing camp, she was 17, I was 18, she was in the staff of the camp and I was a camper (and such relationships were discouraged by the staff). After the camp she cut off.
There were some other cases, but this post is becoming too long.

This semester I had English class (English classes are joint for all of the university, so I am studying IT, but there were also students from biochemistry and such. And from different years, too.) and there was one girl, but I haven't had occasion to talk with her, even in a group until almost the end. We were talking, in a group before the class. I pulled back a little from the conversation to get through my notes for the presentation I had to give and when I looked up from them I caught her stare (eye? look? gaze? damnation to this non-native language!). This could have been a coincidence, but I took it at face value. I decided to probe. We were not sure if the last class would be held, so I took that opportunity to write to her and ask about it. I tried to drag her into convesation, but it didn't work. Next class was the last and we won't see each other again and I'd probably won't write to her to ask her out and I don't have any reason to write to her and then drag into conversation and then smoothly ask her out.
I am not Nightblood, I don't start conversations by asking people if they want to destroy some evil. (This metaphor will be bad) I start by being at training ground when she's looking for a sword to practice with and after a while I ask if she would want to take me with her to some event to destroy some evil.

Edited by Oversleep

So, there's this girl at school that I might be starting to like. There's a chance that she might like me too, at least a little, as at least one other classmate has noticed. Thing is, I don't have much time for dating, and even if I did, I have no idea how I'd go about it. For now, I just want to be friends, but for some reason, it feels like a bit more than that. I've never felt this way about someone before. Help.

So, there's this girl at school that I might be starting to like. There's a chance that she might like me too, at least a little, as at least one other classmate has noticed. Thing is, I don't have much time for dating, and even if I did, I have no idea how I'd go about it. For now, I just want to be friends, but for some reason, it feels like a bit more than that. I've never felt this way about someone before. Help.

In my limited experience, you want to give her the time she deserves. I'd say if you don't feel like you have the time to commit to a relationship, I would tell her that. Being honest (for me anyways) has always been the best method, regardless of whether it works out or not. Beating around the bush or dragging it out is never fun for both parties. Hopefully it works out for you!

I actually started liking someone myself but I don't meet her dating standards...debating on going for it anyways but I'm not sure... :unsure: