The Official Thread of Relationships

So, in honor of Lark going on her first date, I have started the thread about dating, love, and all things relationships.

And Eowyn gifs. And memes. And jokes. And toddler photos. And memes. I mean, what do you expect, it is the 17th Shard!

I like someone at my school, but I do not know what do say. Please help?

Hello, would you like to destroy some evil today?

And then you take her out to dinner at the nearest McDonald's. Why? Because Big Macs are evil, and it is terrible destruction to eat.

(That was, of course, a joke. Do not take relationship or dietary advice from lonely unfit dweebs who've never been in a relationship.)

Edited by skaa

And then you take her out to dinner at the nearest McDonald's. Why? Because Big Macs are evil, and it is terrible destruction to eat.

(That was, of course, a joke. Do not take relationship or dietary advice from lonely unfit dweebs who've never been in a relationship.)

McDonalds is run by aliens trying to fatten us up Hansel and Gretel style.

I would say that it all depends on the person that you like.  

Does this person like you back?  

Are you friends already?  

Is it someone who doesn't know you exist?

Are you friends with their friends? (so you can tease out some tips)
How much do you know about this person?

That is one way to think about it. Another, much easier way to think about it is: It doesn't matter what you say.  There isn't some magical sentence that will get them to like you.  All you can do is put yourself out there, the worst thing that could happen is they say no.

I dated 3 girls in highschool, 1 of which lasted 7 years, and i thought each of them was "the one". Now I am engaged to a wonderful women who I met in the town where I work.  

So basically, just go talk to the person, the rest of your life does not depend on this.  Just make sure to be yourself because it is not fun trying to make yourself into someone that they like, you will be unhappy, and if they don't like you for who you are, then they can eat chull dung.

hmmmm, that is both good and bad.  Good because the best relationships are based off of a solid friendship.  I always found it to be quite silly to start "dating" someone, or asking someone to be your significant other if you barely know each other.

Bad because if you make a move and you are denied, it could tarnish the friendship.

V-day is coming up, you could be her secret admirer. Then if/when she tells you that she has a secret admirer you could subtly gauge her reaction of it.  There are many ways to go about this, and you must find your own path, but this way is good because you both can kind of talk about it without having to literally talk about it.

Or you could play the nice guy card like I do, and just be there for her whenever she needs, talk to her on the phone at night, try to hang out with just her, until she realized what she has in front of her.  It takes a long time, and the process can be hurtful to you, but that's what I always did. 

Or you could play the nice guy card like I do, and just be there for her whenever she needs, talk to her on the phone at night, try to hang out with just her, until she realized what she has in front of her.  It takes a long time, and the process can be hurtful to you, but that's what I always did. 

My brother! :o  Yep, this is the path I've taken. Right now, the girl that I really like is already in a relationship, but I'm closer and am officially her male girlfriend B):mellow: It's a little odd.

That being said, it also means that I can be interested in other girls.

Playing the nice guy is fine as an opener, but at some point you have to take the risk and ask her out. It hurts to get shut down, but there are a number of clear advantages to having the conversation in the open. Like, if she can tell you've been meaning to ask her out for a long time (if you've spent a lot of time around her, she probably suspects already) she probably will appreciate you saying so. Either 1) she wants to go out with you or 2) she doesn't, but either way it clears the air. If you never ask, you'll never know.

Have you read The Name of the Wind (there are a bunch of Patrick Rothfuss fans here, I know, so I'm guessing you might have)? Kvothe is super awesome in so many ways, but he totally has the Nice Guy problem with Denna - he's just afraid to commit. All his friends can see how obvious it is that he's infatuated with her and that she digs him too, but he has difficulty confronting reality and just going for it, and his life would change enormously if he did.

So yeah. Bravery, I say! Ask her on a date.

Yeah, the problem with the Nice GuyTM approach is that 1) You aren't being clear in your intentions. That comes off as confusing and at times creepy, 2) Taken to an extreme, you can end up as a creepy guy who feels entitled to a relationship because "you're better".

Things will always start of awkward. That's normal, so just dive in!

And if it doesn't work out, well, here's a video about it.

I have a crush on this guy at my school. We are friends, but I don't know if we are anything more than friends.

Oh, I also found out that a friend of mine asked him who he likes, and he made a list. Eight other girls. I don't know who they are, but I don't think any are me.

Please help

So is a friend of mine, and he has three ;)

James falls into the "miserably allergic" category.  I feel that it's not unreasonable for him to prefer not feeling sick all of the time.  Besides, I'm pretty sure that our dog thinks she's a cat.

...I might be feeling a wee bit of an urge to photobomb y'all with nerdy wedding photos.  :ph34r:

If you don't know anyone, it's pretty hard to have complex, angsty love problems. :ph34r:

I'm so good at this.

No, you are wrong. I know absolutely no one and still have angsty love problems, in part because I know no one.

It is ironic that I am too much of an introvert to actualy work towards forming friendships, yet even if I don't need them emotionaly speaking I do feel the need for romance.