Spren on Scadrial?

Argent

I would assume this to be true, since the two locations are connected, I presume there would be travel. Particularly when you consider the distances are so much shorter in Shadesmar. It would be like a Rosharan moving from Alethkar to the Reshi Isles. It would be near ludicrous if there wasn't movement, considering we know of nothing that would inhibit the travel.

Is it even worth referring to them as spren? Someone once characterized Scadrial as a very Investiture-poor world in comparison to Roshar, so I'm not sure if it's possible for a spren to even exist in the same fashion on Scadrial, in any of the three realms.

Is it even worth referring to them as spren? Someone once characterized Scadrial as a very Investiture-poor world in comparison to Roshar, so I'm not sure if it's possible for a spren to even exist in the same fashion on Scadrial, in any of the three realms.

The impression I got was that they are spren from Roshar that worldhopped to Scadrial. So regardless whether it is investiture high or not, spren are still spren. Just like if an earthling went to mars, regardless the composition of mars, the earthling is still an earthling. But that is my own interpretation. 

Edited by Pathfinder

I wonder what emotions or things attracted them so much that they went so far out of their own world to do whatever spren do when they find what attracts them.

Maybe some kind of metal spren? electricity spren must be pretty bored on Roshar. Would a Soother/Rioter be able to manage enough emotion for emotion spren to come hunting?

This thread made me think...

Spren are not simply attracted to specific forces or behaviours. Spren are also sometimes, in some vague way, created from people's cognitive perception and belief of them. Remember the annotation: "Spook was the only one in the crew he could speak to. That’s because Spook truly has faith in Kelsier as a deity" So it might be possible that a condition for spren to travel to other planets is people's belief in them, which would tie in with Trellism...

Could the spren just be bonded to the worldhoppers themselves? The question didn't state at what point in time are the spren there. So it could be during the wax and wayne series after the first 5 stormlight books, or it could even be in the future series. 

iBambam – Spren do NOT exist in the Cognitive Realm. Only ideas reside there. Ideas do not become spren (“living ideas” according to Jasnah) UNTIL they migrate to the Physical Realm. (Btw, is your name a Flintstones' reference?)

I’m inclined to agree with Pathfinder. The spren are probably bonded to a Worldhopper who is either a native Rosharan or who visited Roshar and became bonded.

iBambam – Spren do NOT exist in the Cognitive Realm. Only ideas reside there. Ideas do not become spren (“living ideas” according to Jasnah) UNTIL they migrate to the Physical Realm. (Btw, is your name a Flintstones' reference?)

I’m inclined to agree with Pathfinder. The spren are probably bonded to a Worldhopper who is either a native Rosharan or who visited Roshar and became bonded.

I think spren politicians in Shadesmar homes everywhere who wouldn't dream of entering the physical to be killed by some backstabbing surgebinder would want to have a word with you.

Kelsier is a cognitive shadow, same as (or at least very similar to) the Stormfather. And while the latter calls himself a spren, I think we have a WoB that he is not entirely correct. Cognitive shadows, the way I understand them, are kind of like "people spren", which makes them so much more than regular spren. Kind of how a water puddle and the ocean are both bodies of water, I think.

Kelsier is a cognitive shadow, same as (or at least very similar to) the Stormfather. And while the latter calls himself a spren, I think we have a WoB that he is not entirely correct. Cognitive shadows, the way I understand them, are kind of like "people spren", which makes them so much more than regular spren. Kind of how a water puddle and the ocean are both bodies of water, I think.

The Stormfather is both a spren and a cognitive Shadow.

He was a "simple" Spren long before Tanavast's Death (knowed as Rider of the Storm) and in some way he became also the Tanavast's Shadow (probably the true ghost merged with the Rider of the Storm, but we can't be sure about).

Erm, just a clarification here. Spren DO exist in the Cognitive Realm. That's where they live. Remember seeing Pattern and Ivory in Shadesmar, with their too-stiff cloaks, and Ivory's oily/prismatic sheen? Remember when Shallan and Pattern are there, and a huge Spren flies overhead, and Pattern calls it a fearspren?

WoB:

SATSUONI
Tell us something new about Cognitive Realm, please
BRANDON SANDERSON
You will get plenty in the next Stormlight book. But more than one type of spren live there

The Stormfather is both a spren and a cognitive Shadow.

He was a "simple" Spren long before Tanavast's Death (knowed as Rider of the Storm) and in some way he became also the Tanavast's Shadow (probably the true ghost merged with the Rider of the Storm, but we can't be sure about).

I am going to need to a WoB on this one.

I have a RAFO for you!

But I do agree with Yata. Eshonai implies heavily that the Rider of Storms was around before humans (and thus Honor/Cultivation?) showed up. He's sort of essential to the listener's transformation process, and the listeners were definitely around before H/C were.

We also have this bit, noting the Stormfather "absorbed" something from Honor:

Q [17:15]: Does the spren have to be present for a Surgebinder to have their abilities? Because with Dalinar, the Stormfather won’t be around all the time...

A: Good Question! Fortunately, the Stormfather is a little more omnipresent. Normally you’re gonna have to have your spren close, but the Stormfather absorbed... is basically Honor’s cognitive shadow, which means he’s got a connection to a lot of different things, so he’s not bound by a lot of the rules that others are.

(source)

The Listeners know the Stormfather as Rider of the Storm, and they said He was one of the Spren that betrayed them, giving their power to the Humans.

Therefore the Stormfather existence (at least as Rider of the Storm) predate the Honor's Death (and maybe the H&C arrive on Roshar at all).

I have a RAFO for you!

But I do agree with Yata. Eshonai implies heavily that the Rider of Storms was around before humans (and thus Honor/Cultivation?) showed up. He's sort of essential to the listener's transformation process, and the listeners were definitely around before H/C were.

We also have this bit, noting the Stormfather "absorbed" something from Honor:

Don't we have a "recent" WoB that implies humans were on Roshar before the Shattering?

Found it:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/3suo4l/oathbringer_i_think_flashback_dalinar_is_based/cx1nfdk

Edited by Master_Moridin

Don't we have a "recent" WoB that implies humans were on Roshar before the Shattering?

Found it:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/3suo4l/oathbringer_i_think_flashback_dalinar_is_based/cx1nfdk

The WoB only indicates humans and listeners existed before the Shattering, not that humans existed on Roshar before the Shattering. We have many indications this was not the case, such as the listeners being called the "ancient ones" and the Vorin teachings that mankind arrived on Roshar after being forced from the Tranquiline Halls.