Guild of Arts is proud to host "Ice Ray Academy and Superhero City University Rping"

Jayariel Drillowup

Okay before everyone gets mad at me I will try to explain.

I have an original canon universal series called "Ice Ray Academy: Magical Institute" and at one point it was hosted by a now deceased game and rping community called "Superhero City (SHC)." I have found in my time as a rper one can either begin from scratch or they can adapt a new rp into an already established one.

So all Guild of Art members interested in rping please reply here and I will do what I am able to get it organized.

Edited by Jayariel Drillowup

Superhero City?

A dead game and I am one of a very few who kept the rping saga from it alive. Scorpio my friend is another of these.

While I have experience running and creating rp scenarios groups and forums I would prefer everyone who joins to help contribute to the rules being created to help lessen the load of running the rp forum here.

A dead game and I am one of a very few who kept the rping saga from it alive. Scorpio my friend is another of these.

While I have experience running and creating rp scenarios groups and forums I would prefer everyone who joins to help contribute to the rules being created to help lessen the load of running the rp forum here.

How does it work?

I'm keen to rp.

I guess my main questions would be about the setting; is there a general storyline, what situations is going on, if there are any joinable sides (good vs evil) or if it is just go with the flow.

As for my character I'll likely just reuse one of my older ones from the list I sent you earlier.

SuperHero City as a game/forum RP vehicle has been sunsetted for approximately 2.5 years... As a setting, it was the publicly visible face of a world very similar to our Earth, but in which comic book type characters were a reality... Ice Ray Academy/SHCU was a setting within SHC where magic training, combat training, and so forth, was provided to young heroes-in-training...

I've discussed it with JD, and we propose the following rules-

1- Each interested 'player' will provide an Origin post, describing your character's background, powers and abilities, and primary motivating

factors... 1 player, 1 character... your character can be of your preferred ethos, but must respect the team s/he belongs to, betrayals

must be approved by the mods in interest of the story... Each character must have an exploitable flaw or weakness/redeeming feature

2- All normal forum rules will be followed

3- Story mods will be picked prior to play... mods are responsible for story continuity, and their decisions about the story are

final

4- If you wish to add powers or abilities after your origin post, you must RP the reason for development of the power or

ability, training to make it usable, etc...

IF OTHER RULES ARE BROUGHT TO THE ATTENTION OF THE MODS AND ARE AGREED TO BY THE GROUP, THEY WILL BE ANNOUNCED LATER...

Our thought is to post the story/s in a separate thread, using this one for discussions by the group...

Edited by Scorpio

Hmm. So now I have to decide between using my Speedster character (well, technically Speedster, it's actually all about altering friction around himself to alter his speed), or a bomb-crazy superheroine.

(The concept I really wanted to do probably wouldn't fit, since it's specifically about the 1940's...still, I had backup plans. Kinda leaning towards the grenade character, since...that archetype is usually played as a villain, so it might be kinda fun to make them a hero. Unless someone wants me to do a villain, that is...)

Edited by Quiver

anyone can be a villain if they wish,,, hopefully there will be two teams, 1 hero team and 1 villain team...

write your origin post accordingly, and remember that every character has an exploitable weakness, a hidden flaw (hero) or redeeming feature (villain)...

Edited by Scorpio

Maybe it would help if one of you guy's went first with characters?

...That sounds very blunt and rude. What I mean is... you guy's have experience in this setting, whereas we don't. Maybe posting some sample character sheets, so we can see the kinda tone you're going for, or what kinda stuff you are itnerested in, would help?

(Not to mention providing a template for people to follow themselves)

SAMPLE ORIGIN-

Character Name: Krystal Fae

Ethos: Good/Neutral

Race: Hybrid (15% Human - 85% Fae): The Fae as a race are a combination of the 'fictional' races of Elves and Fairies,

having many traits similar to each... 

Fae are not 'immortal', in the sense that it is possible to kill them, but they heal incredibly

quickly and their natural lifespan is incredibly long (on the order of 6,000+ years).

Fae learn very quickly and with ease, especially languages, and often know many of them,

including archaic and current forms

Fae can communicate telepathically, but only with actual Elves, Fairies and other Fae

Fae can move unbelievably quickly, and quietly, and leave no trace during movement in 'natural

settings' (woods, fields, etc.)

Fae can cast illusions, called 'glamers', and these include both Visible and Auditory

components...  they can also see through illusions cast by others by whatever means (technical,

such as with holograms, so-called 'theatrical' illusions, magical abilities and/or spells)

Finally, Fae can assume any animal form which they themselves have seen, with no

'conservation of mass' (they can become anything from insect to dragon, provided they have

ever seen one)

Powers and Abilities- Super-speed, Fae Telepathy, Cast / Dispel Illusions, Nature Stealth, Rapid Healing (self), Animal

Transformation (self)

Weakness(es) - 'Cold Iron' (Fae can be bound or barred by use of iron or steel barriers and devices, which nullify their

racial abilities), does not fully understand current idioms (slang, sarcasm, puns, etc confuse her, leading

to miscommunication and/or taking what is said very literally)

Description- Krystal is Female, about 5' 2", with a petite frame, Darkish Brown hair with golden highlights, intensely Green

eyes and what can only be called 'elf-like' facial features and slightly tanned cream-colored skin...  no Tattoos

or scars... she tends to dress in green and/or brown outfits that would tend to blend into nature settings... her

apparent age would be guessed by an observer as early 20's, but she is actually 1847 years old

Krystal only recently arrived in the city/country where the story takes place, and while she speaks the language,

it has been learned from books, tapes, and computer, so current idiom escapes her.

Tactics- Krystal tends to avoid battle if possible, using glamers to hide, Super-speed to flee, or her transformation ability to

become something non-threatening... if combat itself becomes unavoidable, she will assume an animal form that

will both injure and intimidate her opponent

Identity/Background- Krystal has been hired by SHCU as a junior professor of Archaeology and Archaic Languages, but

until her arrival has had no previous experience with Ice Ray Academy or it's staff... IRA's staff is

aware of the race and their abilities, but has yet to identify Krystal as being such...

Edited by Scorpio

SAMPLE ORIGIN-

Character Name: Krystal Fae

Ethos: Good/Neutral

Race: Hybrid (15% Human - 85% Fae): The Fae as a race are a combination of the 'fictional' races of Elves and Fairies,

having many traits similar to each... 

Fae are not 'immortal', in the sense that it is possible to kill them, but they heal incredibly

quickly and their natural lifespan is incredibly long (on the order of 6,000+ years).

Fae learn very quickly and with ease, especially languages, and often know many of them,

including archaic and current forms

Fae can communicate telepathically, but only with actual Elves, Fairies and other Fae

Fae can move unbelievably quickly, and quietly, and leave no trace during movement in 'natural

settings' (woods, fields, etc.)

Fae can cast illusions, called 'glamers', and these include both Visible and Auditory

components...  they can also see through illusions cast by others

Finally, Fae can assume any animal form which they themselves have seen, with no

'conservation of mass' (they can become anything from insect to dragon, provided they have

ever seen one)

Powers and Abilities- Super-speed, Fae Telepathy, Cast / Dispel Illusions, Nature Stealth, Rapid Healing (self), Animal

Transformation (self)

Weakness(es) - 'Cold Iron' (Fae can be bound or barred by use of iron or steel barriers and devices, which nullify their

racial abilities), does not fully understand current idioms (slang, sarcasm, puns, etc confuse her, leading

to miscommunication and/or taking what is said very literally)

Description- Krystal is Female, about 5' 2", with a petite frame, Darkish Brown hair with golden highlights, intensely Green

eyes and what can only be called 'elf-like' facial features and slightly tanned cream-colored skin...  no Tattoos

or scars... she tends to dress in green and/or brown outfits that would tend to blend into nature settings... her

apparent age would be guessed by an observer as early 20's, but she is actually 1847 years old

Krystal only recently arrived in the city/country where the story takes place, and while she speaks the language,

it has been learned from books, tapes, and computer, so current idiom escapes her.

Tactics- Krystal tends to avoid battle if possible, using glamers to hide, Super-speed to flee, or her transformation ability to

become something non-threatening... if combat itself becomes unavoidable, she will assume an animal form that

will both injure and intimidate her opponent

Identity/Background- Krystal has been hired by SHCU as a junior professor of Archaeology and Archaic Languages, but

until her arrival has had no previous experience with Ice Ray Academy or it's staff... IRA's staff is

aware of the race and their abilities, but has yet to identify Krystal as being such...

Uh.

Okay. I think I get what you're looking for, except for the age. Should characters be highschool age, or college age?

Also, uh. You might wanna chance the name of the school.

The acronym for Ice Ray Academy is...sort of associated with something else.

(...And let me disclaim that my 'bomb character' is in NO way inspired or related to the IRA.)

1) college age would be most appropriate, but is not mandatory, as younger characters may be prodigies taking special

classes, and older characters may have been recruited by the team(s) to fill a need for a specific skill or skillset

2) in the context of SuperHero City and it's environs, the Irish Republican Army is no longer an active organization, but may

be included in the character origin as certain skills may have been learned in such an organization (in the context of SHC,

IRA is used as shorthand for Ice Ray Academy by those who are aware that such an academy exists hidden within SHCU)

3) everyone has a past...

if you want to be of good ethos as of the time of the story, it is not necessary that you were always of that ethos... your

weakness may be that you have a past which may be used/held against you should it become known...

the same goes for villains, you might have 'soured' on the 'hero thing' or turned vigilante for some reason, in which case 

your skills, powers, and motivations might be well known to other villains and/or law enforcement agents and heroes

Edited by Scorpio

Quiver,

I am the one who created the name Ice Ray Academy.

Before that the original name was FrostBite School of Magic but I left behind too many animosity fueled characters when it was deleted once as a Yahoo Club then once as a Yahoo Group five years later after spammers overthrew those who admined there.

As for affiliations as such, Ice Ray Academy has never been nor ever will be affiliated with the Irish Republican Army for many reasons.

1) The Irish Republican Army and it's political affiliation Sein Fenn are unfortunately real legitimate citizens with grievances towards the United Kingdom mainly England who turned towards violence when peace did not work to grant Ireland its freedom..

2) All my storylines I have written, cowritten and have had help from cowriters to create over the sixteen years I have been roleplaying only involve our Earth as a central setting. However all characters unless specified by their original creators are not from this Earth but alternate Earths. As well canon for my stories is found from the Magic the Gathering/ Forgotten Realms/ Superhero City canon universes only. 

3)The Academy is not into politics at all and only is a fantasy organization for magical learning. However in certain stories of mine, my characters and those not created by me will often fight secretly for the cause of good or evil in events such as World Wars to help change the balance of power for long term goals affiliated with magical reasons only.  http://moviepilot.com/posts/2884275 is the entire backstory of the Academy except for a few paragraphs only written by the founder I took over from when he officially stopped rping.

4) Except for characters used by my cowriters or those I have cowritten with, cameo characters in the Ice Ray Academy established canon universe are from the Magic the Gathering universe (planeswalkers and legendary non planeswalker heroes and villains from various sets), Forgiotten Realms (certain Bloodcurse characters, races and one evil Goddess only), the work of the late author David Eddings (The Child Goddess Aphrael (before I adapted her as one of my heroes) and her sis Sephrenia (whom I gave the first ever known last name iiof Darklighter to) are of this universe from the Tamuli and Elenium book trilogies. However from a bigger universe of his I brought back his evil villain Urvon but this is no longer the same villain from the book series "The Belgariad" "The Malloreon" "Belgarath the Sorceror" "Polgara the Sorceress" and "The Rivan Codex." 

A small sample of a possible story begining-

Jayariel could sense that something was different today.  There was an unusual feeling of 'presence' he hadn't felt in decades.  He decided that a bit of scouting was in order.  Following his instincts, he approached the Archaeology department, and quietly entered the rear of a theater-like classroom.  Relics and books were displayed on shelves and tables near the front, of course.

It was the start of a new term, and there were many students that he did not recognize, but the feeling of 'presence' seemed to be coming from the front of the classroom.

Standing before the podium, the woman seemed hardly older than many of the students before her as she explained the syllabus for the class, yet there was a feeling of wisdom and authority rare in one seemingly so young. 

Her accent was hard to place... European elements... hints of Mediterranean influence as well... possibly some Gaelic, though her English was obviously quite proficient and easily understood

As Jayariel studied the woman from his position at the rear of the classroom, she seemed to become aware of his scrutiny. Her speech slowed momentarily as she seemed to lose her concentration and she met his eyes directly as she spoke, her eyes widening for a heartbeat, then she resumed her train of thought.

"This one bears watching...", thought Jayariel, "I'd better inform the Starrunners."

Edited by Scorpio

Sorry! As someone from the UK -and particularly since I'm considering playing with the 'mad bomber' archetype- that acronym just stood out to me. Sorry for that!

So...how is this for a character?

Name: Dinah Might.

Ethos: Neutral Good

Race: Human

Powers: Dinah has low-level super strength, but her main power is her invulnerability. While not truly invulnerable, she is significantly more durable than a normal human, a fact that has left her with a rather reckless and cavalier attitude.

Weakness: Dinah's attitude is her main weakness. While her invulnerability is great against bludgeoning damage, she is not more invincible against edges (knives, etc), a fact she often forgets. Her enthusiasm for explosives also means she tends to overlook her other strengths in favor of 'the boom'.

Description: in her early twenties, Dinah is tall, with a toned body akin to a body-builder. Her hair is dark and naturally curly...though her style of combat means it's usually reduced to a dark stubble against her head.

Green eyed and bright, she usually wears a broad grin that can be described as 'manic'.

Hidden Flaw: Dinah has a somewhat self-centered view of the world. Intentionally or not, she tends to forget how her actions can impact those around her, or can be interpreted.

Redeeming Feature: Despite her selfishness, she is well meaning. She *wants* to be a hero, partly for the fame and celebrity that comes from it, but also because she can't think of a reason not to. Doing good just seems like the right thing to do.

Tactics: Dinah's costume consists of bandoliers filled with home made explosives and chemicals to whip up weapons on the fly. Smoke bombs, flash bangs and sonic grenades make up most of her arsenal...with a handful of "real" explosives for those hard-to-beat enemies. With her invulnerability, she tends to use those weapons more indiscriminately than she should, with her superstrength as a last resort, particularly against those who aren't tough enough to take a pumch from her.

sounds fine to me...

thought y'all might like to see my rendition of Krystal...

cDz4nC7.png

Edited by Scorpio

I see no problem for her.

For those wondering, yes the Jayariel that my friend Scorpio wrote about is the same character of mine this username is deprived from.

Name: Weaponsmaster Jayariel Drillowup

Race: A good Drow (Dark Elf) who has rebelled against his evil race and his race's creator to help defend humans and the Weapons Master at Ice Ray Academy. Only known weakness is technology/ iron/ very bright lights (has infrared vision).

Combat skills or magic if applicable: Extremely powerful in combat with his magical scimitars he inherited from his more famous ancestor. Also has the ability to speed up in combat to the point only Martians, magic users or those with the proper technology can see him.

Background info: As a young child in Drow society, he watched the sacrifice of his dad as his wicked aunt performed it in service to the dread fallen demi goddess Lloth. Being a high priestess, she was one of the more important leaders at the time and still is these many centuries later. Jayariel fled the city not too long afterwards and made his way to the Surface World. 

For centuries he wandered the world until pure chance put him in Australia during what became known as the Second World War as mortal humans termed it. Seeing how the allies were being defeated by the evil Japanese (that is how he viewed them), Jayariel would use his combat skills at night to prevent Japanese spies and saboteurs from attacking Australia and New Zealand while General MacArthur was planning his campaign to eventually retake the Philippine and other countries captured and seized by the Japanese forces. To date no actual records have ever been uncovered or revealed to verify the existence of "The Spirit That kills By Night," as those who survived while besieging would come to call the unnatural entity that slew countless numbers of their countrymen.

Following the end of the hostilities, he became a nomad and settled within a secret cave he built inside Ayer's Rock in the Australian Outback. It was on this fabled mountain that he encountered the young human female Corrine Daniels and the rest is history.

Jayariel and Corrine have been dating since she became a teenager. Beforehand, he was chosen by the academy's headmaster and headmistress to be the weapons master there and secretly her personal bodyguard as well. They have had many run ins with evil drow in the past sent by Lloth to capture him so she tends to get very defensive about his welfare. 

Corrine Daniels

Age: 16 years old, age when girls believe they know everything.

Has innate magical resistance due to helping her family fend of tricky fae and sprites while as a child. Very good at what she does and so she is not to be underestimated in terms of speed and athleticism. Carries with her a special type of duct tape that once applied can not be removed except by her fiancee Jayariel. Jenna Firemage and her twin brothers are Corrine's actual cousins but she never met them until she was ten years old, which should really not come very much as a surprise to anyone who has seen her magic at work.

Last friend is Jaegarjumi a reddish panther from the Realm of Fire and Shadow. Weighs approximately 500 pounds and follows the telepathic commands of both Jayariel and Corinne. Jayariel befriended Jaegarjumi by saving him from his horrid former masters and my next file will reveal all the background info for Jayariel, Corrine and Jaegarjumi. 

Update: Since these bios were last updated, Jaegarjumi has become cursed as a lycan panther and is now a villain. Lloth and my other villains do not trust him so he has been brainwashed by an evil lycan mistress into believing he slew Jayariel and she has taken possession of the physical artifact sculpture tying him to the physical realm. Corrine and his friends helped Jayariel overcome the same illusion that he had slain Jaegarjumi.

Edited by Jayariel Drillowup