• Announcements

    • Chaos

      Oathbringer Spoiler Policy   11/13/2017

      Oathbringer is out! Let's make our policy on spoilers clear! 1. You must preface topics with Oathbringer spoilers with the prefix [OB] in the front 2. You are only allowed to post spoilers and spoiler topics in the Oathbringer Spoiler Board, Cosmere Theories, and some select work-related forums. 3. For posts in the Oathbringer Spoiler Board you do not need to use spoiler tags inside a topic marked [OB]. For Cosmere Theories, you also do not need to put spoiler tags inside your topic if the topic has [OB] in the title. However, for Cosmere Theories, if you are adding Oathbringer stuff to an old theory without the [OB] tag, those must go in spoiler tags and you must make it obvious outside the spoiler tag that the spoiler is regarding Oathbringer content. 4. For select things that do require talking about OB spoilers, in Events, Coppermind, and Arcanum forums, those are allowed but keep OB spoilers in spoiler tags 5. Avoid and minimize spoilers in topic titles--even though those two boards will not appear in the Recent Topics ticker, topic titles still appear in Recent Activity and the forum home.  6. You aren't allowed to post Oathbringer spoilers in places other than listed, even with spoiler tags.  It will be nine months and then the Oathbringer board will be re-merged with the Stormlight board and you will not need to tag these spoilers. If you'd like to move something in the Stormlight Archive board to the Oathbringer board, to update it with new Oathbringer information, Report the post and we will happily move it to the Oathbringer spoiler board. Part-by-part Reactions Though the Oathbringer Spoiler Board will be very spoilery, very fast (maybe don't come there until you've read the book, as people do have copies that bookstores sold early), you'll have these five topics for reactions if you want to nerd out: Part 1 Reactions
      Part 2 Reactions
      Part 3 Reactions
      Part 4 Reactions
      Full Book Reactions For parts 1-4, they will not include the interludes immediately following it. On Discord All Oathbringer spoilers on Discord will be exclusively in the #oathbringer_spoilers channel for the nine month spoiler period and nowhere else.
Curious Anamaximder

Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

4,974 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

That's... a lot of cats. 

I hope things work out Mestiv.

 

8 hours ago, Darkness_ said:

Oh my god @Mestiv That sounds horrid, hope you pull through, know that we're with you.

Aw now theres no need for that. *hugs, go have an icecream.

 

7 hours ago, A Budgie said:

@Mestiv woah, that sounds difficult. I hope everything works out, your cats are happy, and your fiancee gets better soon.

 

6 hours ago, Extesian said:

Oh @Mestiv. I'm sorry dude. I hope all those things end up ok, particularly the health of your loved ones. 

 

14 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

@Mestiv oh man. That's... that's pretty horrible. I hope you find the strength to go through it all.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your support. My dad's better now, he remembers everything except yesterday evening when the whole incident took place. We hope this was some weird one time thing that won't happen again... For now, he's staying in hospital for further diagnosis and observation.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been wanting to join the local youth orchestra on trombone for some time. I've been asking a violinist I know who takes lessons from the director for some time for details about difficulty of music, whether or not they'd take me on euphonium if the music is too hard for me to do on trombone, and when and where wind auditions will be. All I've gotten back has been nebulous answers about the director somehow having all her scores destroyed or lost, how "I should just learn trombone," and how auditions would be "sometime in the fall."

Well, about four hours ago I got a text that said auditions would be tomorrow. I have a lesson tomorrow at a time dangerously close to the audition times. Apparently the auditions will be our all-region music, which I only have for euphonium. I still don't even know if they'll let me audition on euph.

The most obnoxious thing is that all I've heard from the director (all through my friend, as there's apparently no way possible to contact her directly) is excuse after conflicting excuse. Whenever she was asked about dates she said they weren't set yet, but also she didn't know, because someone else handles wind auditions, but also she just forgot and "you should just ask later"...

This is her orchestra. She is in charge. If someone else handles wind auditions, it's her job to communicate with them and get the dates. If she's so forgetful, maybe she needs a planner or a calendar. If they're not set, she needs to get her act together. This is inconsiderate and unprofessional at the least, if not outright disrespectful.

tl;dr I want to join an orchestra but the director is either annoyingly forgetful or incompetent and I am ticked

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really know what thread to post in. Saw a doctor again today for test results and got good new and bad news.

The good news was basically that the existing symptoms weren't pointing to something else seriously wrong. The bad news is that there wasn't really anything new to help with said symptoms.

I don't have arthritis, which is definitely good. But there is no clear reason for the muscle pains I get or anything to really do to stop them. They'll "probably" go away in time and in the meantime anti-inflammatory stuff like Nurofen might help reduce the symptoms temporarily but otherwise I just have to wait and see.

Similarly the CT scan showed that there isn't anything else wrong with my head. My brain is fine and there aren't any tumors or anything. There is inflammation and congestion in some of the sinuses and the interior of my nose is supremely wonky but that's nothing new. So basically that was exactly as expected and the thing to do for now is to continue with the nasal spray he gave me a script for last time. Hasn't been long enough yet to really tell if that will have any impact, but I have little reason to expect that it will when nothing else does.

so...eh.

It's definitely nice that there isn't something else seriously wrong causing these issues. But I was holding onto a small hope of actually finding a cause that we could really *do* something about. So for the time being I will have to continue to expend the majority of my energy and willpower coping with constant crippling pain. But hey! At least it isn't caused by something really serious, it's just the symptoms that are bad.

(I am managing "ok" mentally, it's just really not fun.)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Claincy good to hear there's nothing seriously wrong with you. Everything else though...I'm sorry you can't get anything to help with the pain and symptoms, and I hope they do improve soon.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/11/2017 at 3:59 PM, Silverblade5 said:

Just remember that this isn't a one time thing, and feel free to use this for a stress dumping ground. Or, pm Darkness and I if you prefer. 

Exactly. This is a rant zone. Feel free to come back whenever. 

On 03/11/2017 at 6:10 PM, Steeldancer said:

I think.... I think I'm starting to heal. Things are finally starting to go right again, sort of. 

Unfortunately I'm going to have to face my demons here in a week or so. She still wanted to be friends and I said I need space for a month. I really don't want to be cut off from that friend group, my last relationship went so sour that that happened and I don't want that. So. I will have to face the girl I loved and who broke my heart, and act like she's my friend.

The hardest moments are when I feel empty inside. I used to be able to turn to her and get respite. But now, I've had to buck up and start turning to God in those moments. That... might be the upside out of all of this. 

More than anything, i had a profound self realization. I care. That, I think, is a fundamental aspect of my personality. And that is something I'm going to need to find in my future wife. I guess she didn't care enough. So... yeah. 

Caring is a wonderful thing. It just opens you up to pain. I don't really have anything profound to say but I feel you man. And I'm sorry you're hurting. *hugs*

On 05/11/2017 at 7:44 PM, Mestiv said:

I don't know if I ever had worse situation than right now...

1. There are 17 cats under our care. More than we can afford right now.

2. 10 of the cats are in our flat, 7 are in my fiancee's grandmother flat. The grandmother is too old and stick to help take care of them, so we have to visit her place 2 times a day to feed them, clean, give meds etc.

3. Grandmother's flat is 1,5h by bus or 30 minutes by car. I used to go by car every evening, but...

4. I had a car accident two days ago. I wasn't injured, it wasn't my fault, but the car will probably go to scrapheap, because it was old and the insurance company will say it's too expensive to fix.

5. My grandmother twisted her ankle yesterday.

6. My finance is so sick, I have to take care of all the 17 cats and her.

7. My father doesn't remember I had a car accident. We're at the hospital right now with him, waiting for diagnosis...

 

Life is not pulling punches right now...

Oy. That's no good. Hang in there, we all know that you're awesome. 

3 hours ago, Claincy said:

I don't really know what thread to post in. Saw a doctor again today for test results and got good new and bad news.

The good news was basically that the existing symptoms weren't pointing to something else seriously wrong. The bad news is that there wasn't really anything new to help with said symptoms.

I don't have arthritis, which is definitely good. But there is no clear reason for the muscle pains I get or anything to really do to stop them. They'll "probably" go away in time and in the meantime anti-inflammatory stuff like Nurofen might help reduce the symptoms temporarily but otherwise I just have to wait and see.

Similarly the CT scan showed that there isn't anything else wrong with my head. My brain is fine and there aren't any tumors or anything. There is inflammation and congestion in some of the sinuses and the interior of my nose is supremely wonky but that's nothing new. So basically that was exactly as expected and the thing to do for now is to continue with the nasal spray he gave me a script for last time. Hasn't been long enough yet to really tell if that will have any impact, but I have little reason to expect that it will when nothing else does.

so...eh.

It's definitely nice that there isn't something else seriously wrong causing these issues. But I was holding onto a small hope of actually finding a cause that we could really *do* something about. So for the time being I will have to continue to expend the majority of my energy and willpower coping with constant crippling pain. But hey! At least it isn't caused by something really serious, it's just the symptoms that are bad.

(I am managing "ok" mentally, it's just really not fun.)

I relate. I've had issues before that were never properly diagnosed. Sometimes I wished they would just find something wrong so we could finally start treating it. *gentle hugs*

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Claincy that really sucks. I may not be saying anything even remotely helpful here, but have you looked into fibromyalgia? My mother was in a similar situation a few years back, and went through heaps of testing. The doctors were all "Well, we can't find anything wrong, so clearly it's all in your head!". She managed to get some decent treatment/medications after the eventual diagnosis.

Hugs and general moral support for everyone else, too!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@A Budgie @Delightful @Caesura *hugs* thanks :)

Firbomyalgia actually came to my attention as a possibility pretty recently. It does seem possible. The root cause of the headaches is probably the sinus issues but something else could be making them worse and the muscle pain is presumably not sinus related :P

My sister and dad both have chronic fatigue syndrome and my aunt has myalgic encephalomyelitis and/or fibromyalgia (don't remember off the top of my head) so there's something of a track record of that kind of illness in our family.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2017 at 9:51 PM, Claincy said:

@A Budgie @Delightful @Caesura *hugs* thanks :)

Firbomyalgia actually came to my attention as a possibility pretty recently. It does seem possible. The root cause of the headaches is probably the sinus issues but something else could be making them worse and the muscle pain is presumably not sinus related :P

My sister and dad both have chronic fatigue syndrome and my aunt has myalgic encephalomyelitis and/or fibromyalgia (don't remember off the top of my head) so there's something of a track record of that kind of illness in our family.

Yeah, nebulous autoimmune stuff like that is notoriously difficult to diagnose. It's quite possible you're all running off the same genetic basis for what's going on, and different doctors are having a tough time pinning it down. Make sure your doctor knows all of your family medical history since so much of that stuff is inherited.

My sister went through years of diagnosis hell. MS? Nope. Parkinsons? Nope. CFIDS? Getting warmer...

Oh hey, it's Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome paired with a seizure disorder! And possibly fibromyalgia as well. Sigh, at least she knows now.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my parents decided to take my phone because apparently I'm not being social, and spending too much time on the Shard. Ugh. 

Thankfully they'll be giving it back to me by the 14th so I can still read the Ebook I purchased 

Edited by Steeldancer
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Well my parents decided to take my phone because apparently I'm not being social, and spending too much time on the Shard. Ugh. 

Thankfully they'll be giving it back to me by the 14th so I can still read the Ebook I purchased 

Ouch. I was in almost this exact same situation a while back. The only difference is that they claimed I was being anti-social because I was reading a paper back copy of WoK. Glad you'll get your phone back before OB.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

Ouch. I was in almost this exact same situation a while back. The only difference is that they claimed I was being anti-social because I was reading a paper back copy of WoK. Glad you'll get your phone back before OB.

I really really hate those conversations. I'm not antisocial, i just like reading books better. And talking to all y'all on the shard :wub:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2017 at 5:07 AM, Kaymyth said:

Yeah, nebulous autoimmune stuff like that is notoriously difficult to diagnose. It's quite possible you're all running off the same genetic basis for what's going on, and different doctors are having a tough time pinning it down. Make sure your doctor knows all of your family medical history since so much of that stuff is inherited.

My sister went through years of diagnosis hell. MS? Nope. Parkinsons? Nope. CFIDS? Getting warmer...

Oh hey, it's Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome paired with a seizure disorder! And possibly fibromyalgia as well. Sigh, at least she knows now.

That's good advice, thankyou :)

I think he knows a good bit of it already from appointments with my sister and dad but I'll talk with my aunt too before I next see him and talk about it directly then.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

~9:40 -- Oh boy, lemon bars!

~10:00 -- ...I ate too many lemon bars. :wacko:

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got rejected from another job. This is tiring. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Just got rejected from another job. This is tiring. 

Looking for a job has to be one of the most soul crushing endeavors. I have a degree in teaching, clean record, and 5 years experience in being a security officer and I was told that I was, "Not qualified to be a school security guard." Its true what they say that its not what you know, but who you know. Best of luck!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I love my signed copy of WoR. It... Was a paperback. It split in half the other day. 

Then, my brother took half of it to a dance yesterday, and FORGOT ABOUT IT. So I no longer have the second half of WoR. And I don't have my phone. And I didn't face my ex yesterday because I'm a coward. Gah. I need Oathbringer already. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Looking for a job has to be one of the most soul crushing endeavors. I have a degree in teaching, clean record, and 5 years experience in being a security officer and I was told that I was, "Not qualified to be a school security guard." Its true what they say that its not what you know, but who you know. Best of luck!

Yup. Trying to go for Dory 'just keep swimming, just keep swimming.' Im having days when I don't apply for anything, and days I apply for ten jobs accompanied by the soul crushing feeling that I should be doing so much more. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2017 at 8:47 AM, Delightful said:

Just got rejected from another job. This is tiring. 

:( Just keep at it. Somebody will recognize your value soon enough. 

23 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Looking for a job has to be one of the most soul crushing endeavors. I have a degree in teaching, clean record, and 5 years experience in being a security officer and I was told that I was, "Not qualified to be a school security guard." Its true what they say that its not what you know, but who you know. Best of luck!

Crazy. I have about 8.3 years of security experience. Really happy that I'm not doing it anymore either. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, cats and kittens! It's been a while, but here we are, back with a new installment in the saga of A Life Working For Redacted, Inc!

[Background: my job is horrendously mundane, but I'm cagey about it. My caginess led to certain individuals deciding that I work for a secret government agency that protects us from supernatural and otherworldly threats. I run with it because it's entertaining.]

So, Redacted Inc maintains landing pads for different types of flying saucers - blue, red, and yellow. We'll say that the Blue saucers are our best allies - they give us lots of intel. Red saucers are okay, but not as cool as Blue. Yellow we don't really have any control over at all, they answer to a different department, but they get to use our landing pads anyway, cause we're cool like that.

This nomenclature has been in place for more years than I have worked here.

A couple years ago, some things got shaken up around here, splitting some of our flying saucer knowledge between two teams. My team works heavily with saucers, while the other team focuses more on cryptid sightings, but do a bit of saucers on the side. Except that recently, they've started referring to the Red saucers internally as "Yellow" because they don't know the Yellow ones exist at all, and Red was I guess a bit too close to Blue for them to get it straight.

Cause this morning, I got an email from one of our clients' providers of landing lights; different patterns of lights are needed for different types of saucer landings. And they're having problems with Yellow light patterns not working properly.

I actually had to ask and verify if they really meant Yellow and not Red.

This confusion is annoying the rust out of me and I'm going to start correcting coworkers about Red vs. Yellow flying saucers, and I don't care whose toes I step on when I do it.

I am Captain Sassypants today. Fear me.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, it's been a rotten few days. I've been mildly sick for about a week, but yesterday and today it's definitely gotten worse.

Last night I grabbed some Panda Express for dinner, and I feel extremely lucky that I managed to drive home safely, given that I was struggling not to literally fall asleep on my feet both while I was standing in line and after I arrived home. Didn't even manage to eat the food, I was so sleepy.

And then once I actually got in bed, I spent what felt like a storming hour shivering violently under the blankets before actually getting to sleep.

Today I've been getting dizzy every time I stand up, and my internal thermometer is all stormed up--my body can't decide whether it's overheating or freezing. Add in a constant throbbing headache and that weird "I'm hungry but I don't wanna eat" feeling, and I feel like total crem. I'm 99% sure it's the flu.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sunchicken said:

Ugh, it's been a rotten few days. I've been mildly sick for about a week, but yesterday and today it's definitely gotten worse.

Last night I grabbed some Panda Express for dinner, and I feel extremely lucky that I managed to drive home safely, given that I was struggling not to literally fall asleep on my feet both while I was standing in line and after I arrived home. Didn't even manage to eat the food, I was so sleepy.

And then once I actually got in bed, I spent what felt like a storming hour shivering violently under the blankets before actually getting to sleep.

Today I've been getting dizzy every time I stand up, and my internal thermometer is all stormed up--my body can't decide whether it's overheating or freezing. Add in a constant throbbing headache and that weird "I'm hungry but I don't wanna eat" feeling, and I feel like total crem. I'm 99% sure it's the flu.

I can relate on how terrifying it is to be shivering violently under a million blankets. Hope you feel better. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sunchicken said:

Ugh, it's been a rotten few days. I've been mildly sick for about a week, but yesterday and today it's definitely gotten worse.

Last night I grabbed some Panda Express for dinner, and I feel extremely lucky that I managed to drive home safely, given that I was struggling not to literally fall asleep on my feet both while I was standing in line and after I arrived home. Didn't even manage to eat the food, I was so sleepy.

And then once I actually got in bed, I spent what felt like a storming hour shivering violently under the blankets before actually getting to sleep.

Today I've been getting dizzy every time I stand up, and my internal thermometer is all stormed up--my body can't decide whether it's overheating or freezing. Add in a constant throbbing headache and that weird "I'm hungry but I don't wanna eat" feeling, and I feel like total crem. I'm 99% sure it's the flu.

I just had that. I have never shivered violently until a few days ago. 

For me, it lasted a couple days with Alka Seltzer cold and cough and sleep helping me the most. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.