Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

2 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Changing oil in a car in US is something expensive? Isn't it just, letting the old oil out, and pouring new oil in? How much do they charge for that? o.O

It's not the oil change itself that's expensive; those are actually usually fairly inexpensive, depending on what kind of oil you get and where you go. But they also did an inspection, and found that in addition to the oil change, there's all of this expensive work that needs to be done, and that's what's going to cost me. 

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

It's not the oil change itself that's expensive; those are actually usually fairly inexpensive, depending on what kind of oil you get and where you go. But they also did an inspection, and found that in addition to the oil change, there's all of this expensive work that needs to be done, and that's what's going to cost me. 

Is this garage a place that you trust? I hate to say it, but there are a lot of unscrupulous places who will gleefully take advantage of a lone woman bringing in a car and make up a bunch of expensive repairs that don't actually need to be done.

5 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Is this garage a place that you trust? I hate to say it, but there are a lot of unscrupulous places who will gleefully take advantage of a lone woman bringing in a car and make up a bunch of expensive repairs that don't actually need to be done.

It is. Several female coworkers have vouched for it. 

5 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Don't you just love taking your car in for an oil change/inspection….and leave knowing exactly where your (rather sizable) tax refund is going? :( 

On top of being expensive work, it's also going to be time-consuming work. The goal is to have it finished by 5 today. Meaning that the meeting I'd tentatively scheduled to switch insurance providers (because my current provider keeps raising my rates at renewal, despite my never making a single claim—their excuse last time was that the cost of insuring Louisiana drivers had increased, meaning those costs had to be passed onto me) so that'll have to wait, and the agent will probably think I'm a total flake. Not to mention that this sets my savings goal back quite a bit. It's payday, so the blow is softened, but not by much.

And, on top of that, I won't be able to get groceries today. Or take Bruce to Petsmart. This will not make him happy, and I think he can sense that I'm stressed, which makes him stressed. Gah. I'm so high-strung I even stress my dog out. 

*hugs

That sucks. And I don't know what to say, besides do something that will help you relax?

Read, write, play with Bruce?

3 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Heh. My car is also 13 years old and has taken me across four states without having any major work done, so this was more or less expected. 

Twi, old cars are generally alot more inefficient than newer models, perhaps selling ur old car and buying a second-hand, newer model will be a better choice. Not to mention safety, In collisions, older cars get crushed from bonnet to boot. But newer models stop being crushed after a certain point.

22 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

*hugs

That sucks. And I don't know what to say, besides do something that will help you relax?

Read, write, play with Bruce?

Twi, old cars are generally alot more inefficient than newer models, perhaps selling ur old car and buying a second-hand, newer model will be a better choice. Not to mention safety, In collisions, older cars get crushed from bonnet to boot. But newer models stop being crushed after a certain point.

I'm doing better now that I've gotten some cleaning done, so I feel like I've accomplished something. :P Not to mention that I just picked up my car, so I'll be able to go out and buy groceries tomorrow. 

I would, but I'm not exactly in a financial position to buy a new car right now. Not to mention that the milage on my old car is still pretty good, and I'm not driving it that much, so it makes more sense to just stick with what I've got. 

Just now, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I'm doing better now that I've gotten some cleaning done, so I feel like I've accomplished something. :P Not to mention that I just picked up my car, so I'll be able to go out and buy groceries tomorrow. 

I would, but I'm not exactly in a financial position to buy a new car right now. Not to mention that the milage on my old car is still pretty good, and I'm not driving it that much, so it makes more sense to just stick with what I've got. 

Cleaning is good :D Both productive, and helps clear your mind.

Mhm, I see. That's good at least. 

17 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I'm doing better now that I've gotten some cleaning done, so I feel like I've accomplished something. :P

I believe (not 100% sure, as this is just hearsay, so please do correct me if I'm wrong) that in the military, they require you to make your bed every morning, the philosophy being that even if you had a horrible day, you could come back and say "well, at least I did something right."

It's a philosophy that I quite like.

15 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

I believe (not 100% sure, as this is just hearsay, so please do correct me if I'm wrong) that in the military, they require you to make your bed every morning, the philosophy being that even if you had a horrible day, you could come back and say "well, at least I did something right."

It's a philosophy that I quite like.

I also like this philosophy. :ph34r: 

Aaaannnnnnd now I decided to try an app kinda like Craigslist, to sell some things I don't use, and I've gotten three offers for one item. All of them are lowball, even though I made sure to specify that the price is firm. Seriously, what part of "Price is firm" do you think means "See if the seller will give it to you for less than half the asking price"? <_< 

Edit: And note that the item I'm selling is in mint condition. I opened the package, but it has never been used, and I'm asking below Amazon's list price. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

36 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I also like this philosophy. :ph34r: 

Aaaannnnnnd now I decided to try an app kinda like Craigslist, to sell some things I don't use, and I've gotten three offers for one item. All of them are lowball, even though I made sure to specify that the price is firm. Seriously, what part of "Price is firm" do you think means "See if the seller will give it to you for less than half the asking price"? <_< 

Edit: And note that the item I'm selling is in mint condition. I opened the package, but it has never been used, and I'm asking below Amazon's list price. 

Well, it depends on the item you are selling. Some things usually don't resell at a high (high being relative) price, because of supply-demand, durability, that sort of thing. I'm not telling you to lower your price.

Simply convince them that their ways of thinking are clearly flawed, and that your price is absolutely reasonable (but in a polite way, of course). If they think otherwise, then they are still not thinking correctly, and thus they should not buy your item.

….and I'm pretty sure that my awful attempts to avoid the awkward "is he flirting or is he not, how do I tell him I don't swing that way" thing thoroughly ruined what may have been a budding friendship. So, Life, if you want to kick me in the shins some more, go ahead and get it over with before the day is out. 

9 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

….and I'm pretty sure that my awful attempts to avoid the awkward "is he flirting or is he not, how do I tell him I don't swing that way" thing thoroughly ruined what may have been a budding friendship. So, Life, if you want to kick me in the shins some more, go ahead and get it over with before the day is out. 

Twi, what happened? Tell us about it. What did you say, how did you say it, and how did he responded?

Just now, Silverblade5 said:

Twi, what happened? Tell us about it. What did you say, how did you say it, and how did he responded?

It was over text, so tone wasn't a big part of it. I don't know if I want to relive it again, but here's the abbreviated version: 

Him: Yeah, I think this is my fault. I must've done something wrong. I don't know what it was, but it was me. 
Me: I've made a mess of this because I've been too chicken to say this so far, but….I'm gay. 
Him: Oh, I've suspected that for a while, but now I know where I stand in your book. 

I don't know if he was trying to save face, or if my too-little-too-late attempt at being direct backfired spectacularly, but either way, I know I did some damage there. And I probably handled it wrong. 

And all I want to do is go to the store and get 5,000 pounds of chocolate, but I don't want to spend the money. :( 

@TwiLyghtSansSparklesI think you're actually pretty fine. That's pretty close to the kind of reply I might have given.  "Thank you for this information, I now have a better idea of where I stand and shall act accordingly ". Of course, I've always had a more blunt and direct personality. Maybe this is the case here?

22 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

It was over text, so tone wasn't a big part of it. I don't know if I want to relive it again, but here's the abbreviated version: 

Him: Yeah, I think this is my fault. I must've done something wrong. I don't know what it was, but it was me. 
Me: I've made a mess of this because I've been too chicken to say this so far, but….I'm gay. 
Him: Oh, I've suspected that for a while, but now I know where I stand in your book. 

I don't know if he was trying to save face, or if my too-little-too-late attempt at being direct backfired spectacularly, but either way, I know I did some damage there. And I probably handled it wrong. 

And all I want to do is go to the store and get 5,000 pounds of chocolate, but I don't want to spend the money. :( 

Twi, if he is truly a good friend, then he will continue supporting you no matter what.

Just breathe and wait it out. The storm will blow over eventually.

20 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Heh. My car is also 13 years old and has taken me across four states without having any major work done, so this was more or less expected. 

Twilight, may I ask what work the garage said your car needed done? You could also go to another garage and get a second opinion: perhaps not all they said really needs to be done within the immediate future. How much millage do you have on it? What kind of car is it?

13 years old, in the South isn't too bad: no salt nor winter to use it up prematurely. 

7 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Okay. So, if the old superstition about bad things coming in threes is true, then I should be safe, between the car, SpongeBob, and the neighbor thing yesterday. 

But now I can't shake the fear that something bad is going to happen to Bruce soon. 

And on top of that, I'm still feeling miserable. 

*MORE HUGS*
I hope you feel better soon. Things sound tough as it is, and something else happening on top of it would be even worse.
Just remember we're all here for you.

8 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Okay. So, if the old superstition about bad things coming in threes is true, then I should be safe, between the car, SpongeBob, and the neighbor thing yesterday. 

But now I can't shake the fear that something bad is going to happen to Bruce soon. 

And on top of that, I'm still feeling miserable. 

huggedy hugs :D 

*hugs

Try distracting yourself? And give Bruce lots of hugs :D Hugs will protect him.