What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

I just got back from watching IT in the theater. My third Stephen King movie, didn't much like any of them. This one reminded me of Stranger Things, same 80's vibe and all, but less compelling. Some parts were so bad it was funny and I gave up hope 10 minutes into the movie. I've tried to read a Stephen King novel before, but couldn't get into it. Usually, I like horror, but I guess literary horror just isn't my kinda thing.

@Lost Owl Needs Tea I think the point of Stranger Things was to reconjure the feeling of the 80s. While watching it I got the vibe that Stranger Things was going for a Stephen King meets Steven Spielberg sort of atmosphere, and I think they nailed it. I felt like the funny parts of the movie were supposed to be funny, and the scary parts ended up being more unsettling than actually being "scary." That's also sort of the point too...it doesn't take the monster (It) very much work to scare the pants off of some 12-14 year old kids. I suspect the "scarier" bits to kick in with the adults in Chapter 2.

Also, unless you've spent time familiarizing yourself with King's works, you may well have seen more than 3 movies and not known it at the time. 

@Briar KingStill watching The Orville? 

Just watched the first episode of Star Trek: Discovery. Gave me the chills no less than a half a dozen times in 40 mins. Which is the only complaint I have so far, that it was only 40 minutes for a paid original streaming show. Luckily the first 2 episodes were released together. Time for round 2!

There's a one week free trial available for CBS all access if anyone wants to check it out. At $6.99/month, it comes out to $1.50/episode just to watch Star Trek. Even if I don't watch anything else, I can skip fancy coffee once a month to get a little more Trek. That's a deal in my book. 

Edit: totally double posted.... Sorry. I might give myself a pass though since it's been 72 hrs. 

Edited by AngelEy3
BIG FAT DOUBLE POST

You bet I'm still watching Orville. Ep 3 was amazing and had one of the biggest moral dilemmas at its core. The show is far more at present then what it was shipped as/I thought it would be.

All Access and STD can go to hell if you ask me. I'm not paying for something that should be on cable just because some greedy executives decided they could ransom a beloved franchise. I will watch no STD until it's free or it hits Netflix where I already have an account. 

The Good Place.  It's hard to describe it enough to get people excited about it without dropping huge spoilers, but how often do you find an American sitcom that has spoilers?  Breezy pacing with plenty of hidden details worth poring over (Ted Danson's performance and everything about the set design is much more rewarding the second time through), and the second season looks like it'll have plenty of shirt up its sleeve.

...I swear, Ted Danson's wardrobe in this is making pocket squares start to make sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

It's supposed to be more atmospheric emotion than being driven completely by dialogue if they were going for the feel of the first movie. I haven't had the chance to go see it yet though. 

Well, good luck if you want to see it!  It's always possible that others might see it differently to me...

Edited by axcellence

American Horror Story! I've seen up to and including season 5. This series definitely suffers from some serious peaks and troughs in terms of quality, but when it's good it's really good. My favourite seasons are probably Asylum, Murder House and Hotel.

Edited by PlanetReelo

Been having multiple Stranger Things re-watch parties to get ready for season two and convert my friends to the show. I'm also getting ready for the Arrowverse to come back tomorrow night with the premier of the Flash. I've also gotten back into Gotham, and I remember why I like this show so much. It's just so wonderfully over the to and aside from the original Batman animated series probably captures the comic book feel of the batman world better than any other movie/show. Now that Mad Hatter is mostly off the show I'm happy and ready to enjoy seeing Bruce turn into Batman. 

I've also been watching Friends on occasion, just when I need something going on, it's not my favorite but it's fine. I'm also probably going to start a re-watch of FMA:B because one of my new friends recently discovered anime and hasn't watched it yet. 

Watching the English release of Denji Sentai Megaranger. It's so interesting watching the Sentai shows and seeing the original context of scenes used in Power Rangers. One funny thing about this season and it's Power Rangers counterpart? The folks at Saban misunderstood what the theme was! They saw space shuttles and stuff like that so they assumed it was a space season, giving us Power Rangers in Space, when the actual theme was... Video Games and electronics that were revolutionary at the time!

Can't wait to watch all 51 episodes and later pickup the seasons between Zyuranger and this (Dairanger (Chinese mythology theme), Kakuranger (ninja theme), Ohranger (starts as a mythology theme but real world events turned it into a muddled mess) and Carranger (car and satire theme)) and Gingaman (forest and ecological theme) next year along with GoGoV (public servents like paramedics and firefighters theme) and maybe Timeranger (time travel theme!), one I'm really looking forward to seeing. I do hope they eventually do the first 15 seasons and a movie collection since most of the movies do get referenced and reveal how they got a certain power, mech or some other item they suddenly have in the episodes after it.

I've um...acquired, the 2 seasons of the badlands.  And I'm rather enjoying it.  I watched the first season in a day, so I'm trying not to burn through the second season so fast.  2 per day is what I'm aiming for.  Thats tough though, only 2 per day...I want to know what happens next!