What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

My parents are watching some of the old episodes and from waht I've caught... how much is Gravity Falls like Twin Peaks? Weirdness definitely checks out :mellow:

Gravity Falls is definitely one of those shows that got inspiration from Twin Peaks. I caught the show a few years ago, and it's basically a traditional soap opera, with some surrealist supernatural nightmare elements thrown in.

Definitely not suitable for kids, I'd say, but I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the Return... except I have work tonight, so.

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

My parents are watching some of the old episodes and from waht I've caught... how much is Gravity Falls like Twin Peaks? Weirdness definitely checks out :mellow:

Never watched that one. Twin Peaks is definitely a weird show. I had planned to watch both seasons and the movie before Return aired today but that didn't work out and now I'm left with a lot of the 22 episode S2 still to go. S1 was brilliant imo. There is so much dark quirky comedy to it but then S2 ep 1added a very weird supernatural element to the show and turned me off for about 2 months till I got back into it yesterday. It's gotten good again moving forward. I reco it for the experience of watching something strange. There is beauty in its execution for sure but you have to go in with an open mind.

52 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Yup, I'll add it to my list of things to watch if I ever find gold in my backyard (because there's so many things to watch and I already have little time, so...yeah).

Good news is S1 is only 8 episodes vs the normal 22 of S2. If you make it to end of that there is a movie called Fire Walk With Me and then it's Return. Return is on Showtime so I'm expecting only 8-10 of that. I really hope I can get through it all before Return ends. Oh and the music in the show so creepy it's great.

I've seen Ghost in the Shell (1995) last week and Ghost in the Shell (2017) few days ago. I wouldn't call the adaptation bad... but it wasn't good either. It was hitting me over the head with info (and the original was way more subtle like it should have been. Seriously, the opening scene is putting a brain into a robot body. I think you could spare me how much the future it is and that they have brain implants and stuff. You don't need me to tell me that three more times). It had some plotholes.

And essentially it was quite a different film. I think I prefer the original.

Finished S2 Ep 21&22 & Fire Walk with Me of Twin Peaks today. Will prob start Return later on. Fire was so good and dark and creepy without the restrictions of cable tv. The R rating was able to get the point of how troubled some of these characters truly were.

7 hours ago, Briar King said:

Finished S2 Ep 21&22 & Fire Walk with Me of Twin Peaks today. Will prob start Return later on. Fire was so good and dark and creepy without the restrictions of cable tv. The R rating was able to get the point of how troubled some of these characters truly were.

I am the arm.... And I talk like this. 

I watched a few pieces of Twin Peaks. Didn't like it much. The best part was the ominous music in the background. The main character is fine ( my fav. moment is when he compliments the coffee), but others felt like they're overreacting. 

7 hours ago, Hood said:

I watched a few pieces of Twin Peaks. Didn't like it much. The best part was the ominous music in the background. The main character is fine ( my fav. moment is when he compliments the coffee), but others felt like they're overreacting. 

That's the entire point. It's purposely done to make fun of Soaps.

Edited by Briar King

Holy crap I'm loving the rust out of Twin Peaks:The Return! Currently on part 3 now. I should warn people that have problems with things like language or nudity that both the movie Fire Walk With Me & Return have it as it moved on from cable tv after season 2. Some maybe turned off with this info.

2 hours ago, Briar King said:

Holy crap I'm loving the rust out of Twin Peaks:The Return! Currently on part 3 now. I should warn people that have problems with things like language or nudity that both the movie Fire Walk With Me & Return have it as it moved on from cable tv after season 2. Some maybe turned off with this info.

Sounds like a party. Are any of these available on major streaming services? 

I hate when threads move so slow! 

Anyway I have completely caught up with Twin Peaks as of today. I can't reco this enough if you want a dark comedic make fun of soap operas soap opera!!

Now I can begin to start House of Cards S5 anytime I choose and then OitNB S5 starts on the 9th however I'm still extremely pissed at Netflix for canceling Sens8 this week so I hesitate on getting on there in protest atm. Will probably just try to thin my dvr for a day or 3.

I got season 1 of The Librarians from the....library this week. From the pilot, I take it the show is kind of a mix of Doctor Who, Legends of Tomorrow, and Leverage. I'm not in love with the characters or writing so far. I do like some of the cast. I actually decided to start the show simply because of Christian Kane. I have a feeling that with enough time the show will definitely grow on me, but that's only assuming it keeps me interested enough to get to that point. 

I've also gotten half way through That 70's Show. I've really been binging it hard... 

Also watched a few more episodes of The 100. Still not convinced that I want to keep watching, but it's something more serious to break up the time with That 70's Show. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen episode one and two of Dimension 404. Eagerly waiting for more... although I'd prefer it more like the first episode, the second one was a bit cliche.

But Joker/Firelord Ozai/Luke Skywalker/Mark Hamill is killing it with being the voice over.

Edited by Oversleep

• 3 weeks later...

I recently entered the realm of Korean Dramas.

I saw Coffee Prince. It was good. Really good. Now I am currently watching Goblin. This one is nice too. I like the main actresses in this one, but she kinda overdoes her part.

I wasn't exactly watching it but my mom had Married at First Sight on last night. One of the couples kind of annoys me because they apparently like each other and have a great time during the 8 weeks, but the guy says he'll do the divorce if she won't have sex with him. He keeps going on and on about not having done any sex with her that it seems that he thinks that's the only way to have a successful marriage. She even asked how much he trusted her on a scale of 1-10 and he said 4 because they haven't had sex yet. DUDE! THERE'S MORE TO LOVE AND MARRIAGE THAN HAVING SEX! ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR WIFE ISN'T READY FOR THAT! Even Tyrion Lannister didn't have sex on his wedding night because Sansa wasn't ready for it.

12 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Never start watching Once Upon the Time in the West right before bedtime. I discovered last night that the dang harmonica music kept spinning through my mind while I was trying to fall asleep 

That music is on my nightly playlist, lol. 

I particularly enjoy the getting off the train scene. And the Beak scene. 

1 minute ago, AngelEy3 said:

That music is on my nightly playlist, lol. 

I particularly enjoy the getting off the train scene. And the Beak scene. 

Sergio Leone is a really interesting director! The wide, beautiful shots of the landscape followed by the really upclose shots. The slowly mounting tension (that is almost unbearable) right before the violence. The slow unraveling of a mystery and then the mind blowing reveal! I still enjoyed his "Dollars" trilogy, but this movie is kind of a deeply flawed masterpiece! Its hard to describe...people need to watch it and form their own opinions.