A couple of questions

King's Twit

Hey, I just started my first Warbreaker reread, and I already have a bunch of questions, with no answers, that I was wondering if we had any WoB or just previous discussions that might address them.

Could Nightblood learn to Awaken? If so, would he drain things to black rather than grey or white?

What would happen if you attempted to Awaken a God metal? Would what results be considered a splinter?

A Divine Breath has the ability to reshape the human body based on the will of the Returned. Is this related to Syl's ability to change her physical form? Or possibly to the abilities of the Kandra?

Would a God King, after they have passed on their breaths, be considered a Sliver?

What role does color play in Awakening? And why do things drain to grey or white?

Is the place where the Tears of Edgli are grown a Shardpool of Endowment? Are the Tears themselves the condensed power of Endowment?

EDIT: Another question I just thought of. How are Divine Breaths related to Breaths? I was picturing them as the same thing, but with a Divine Breath being better bonded to the person, sort of like holding a shardblade vs Kaladin having the Sylblade. Or possibly a person who has said one or none of the Knights Radiant Ideals vs someone who has said more.

Edited by The King's Twit

What role does color play in Awakening? And why do things drain to grey or white?

Is the place where the Tears of Edgli are grown a Shardpool of Endowment? Are the Tears themselves the condensed power of Endowment?

The only one I can answer is about color.  The Tears of Edgli are dyes made from flowers, those dyes are what they use to color everything.  Since the Tears are the liquid form of investiture, the color is drained when it is used up.  I'm certain someone else could explain it much better than I could.

I will try to answer to your questions:

1) Nothing sure but the Breath that Nightblood get will become corrupted and leaks out therefore it's probably impossible to him Awaken (and problably also be an human being is a requirement). If He may Awaken he would also drawn color as normal, because the color is required to fuel Awakening.

2) Probably not, you will have simply an Awakened Over-Invested Object an probably you would need more Breaths than the standard because the Investiture interferences with each other.

3) Mmm none of the two to me, the Kandra abilities is a pretty biological skill while Syl as Spren has no real body. The Returneds seems to trasformation as following thier cognitive aspect deeply and the psysical just follow, therefore is more likely as Syl does but really different to me.

4) To me yes, but we don't know "how much power contain a breath" to tell it, if 50000 Breaths aren't enough, a former God-King is in the same situation of a Lerasium Mistborn that are begin to get close to a Sliver but it's not actually ones.

5) The Colors are fuel to the Awakening any Awakening required them. The object became grey simply because most of the "color" are drained to the magic. If you have reach an high power you may drawn more color (power) and the object became white.

6) We have not sure proof, but many Sharder think in that way, remember that any color may works with Awakening but the Tear of Egli works far better.

Edited by Yata

I will try to answer to your questions:

1) Nothing sure but the Breath that Nightblood get will become corrupted and leaks out therefore it's probably impossible to him Awaken (and problably also be an human being is a requirement). If He may Awaken he would also drawn color as normal, because the color is required to fuel Awakening.

The reason why I thought Nightblood might be able to Awaken is that he has a Biochromatic Aura like a person with a lot of Breaths. His aura also makes colors darker and richer, rather than brighter, which is why I suggested draining to black rather than white or grey. I figured that Nightblood was converting the Breaths into something like anti-Breaths, but it may be that he converts all types of Investiture into the same corrupted form.

You are probably right about needing to be human, or something similar, to Awaken though.

The only one I can answer is about color.  The Tears of Edgli are dyes made from flowers, those dyes are what they use to color everything.  Since the Tears are the liquid form of investiture, the color is drained when it is used up.  I'm certain someone else could explain it much better than I could.

Actually the Tears of Edgli are the flowers, not the dyes.  Also any color can be used for Awakening, not just colors resulting from those dyes.

The Tears do appear to be related to Endowment in some way as they can only be grown in Hallandren soil (which is also unusual for being the only jungle in the known world).  Brandon has said that there is "something" that is leaking into the soil there to make it special, this is commonly believed to be Endowment's Shardpool though we do not, I believe, have explicit confirmation on that.

Actually the Tears of Edgli are the flowers, not the dyes.  Also any color can be used for Awakening, not just colors resulting from those dyes.

The Tears do appear to be related to Endowment in some way as they can only be grown in Hallandren soil (which is also unusual for being the only jungle in the known world).  Brandon has said that there is "something" that is leaking into the soil there to make it special, this is commonly believed to be Endowment's Shardpool though we do not, I believe, have explicit confirmation on that.

He has RAFOed it as the Shardpool's location.

I suspect that Nightblood lacks the mental requirements to successfully Awaken, even if he meets all the other requirements.  To Awaken you need an Intent (he should be able to do this), a communicated Command (which can be mental, so he's good there), and a clear mental image of what it is you want done.  This last point is what I doubt he is capable of, as it requires imagination and/or new thoughts, but "his" mind still thinks that Shashara is alive because his consciousness is "locked" (according to Vasher) to his first few moments.

Investiture interferes with Investiture, so I suspect Awakening a God Metal would be as difficult (or more) as Awakening a living being.

Syl does not have a real Physical form of her own. She has a visual form from the Cognitive Realm that Kaladin can see, and the Bond between her and Kaladin grants Them a Physical form in certain circumstances.  That said, Syl's ability to change her appearance is Cognitive based, and the Returned's appearance is Cognitive based, so yes I suppose you could say those are related.

The God King, as a Returned, holds a Splinter. I'm not sure if that would ALSO make him a Sliver. (Splinter = Shardic power that has never been human. Sliver = Human who held significant Shardic power... as far as a know, it's debateable if a Returned counts as human for the purpose of this definition)

Very unclear. We do know from Vivenna's experimentation that if there's less Color available, the same Command takes more Breath's, so draw what conclusions you can from that.

• Chaos locked this topic