Official Star Wars Episode VII SPOILER Thread

Seonid

So...random speculation: do you guys think this movie will still hold up 10 years from now?

While I liked it, I have to admit, it's built on callbacks and reinterpretations of A New Hope.

There is stuff I absolutely love about the film -like Rey- but...well, to be fair, The Phantom Menace was probably more original than this one.

Not -better- by any stretch of the imagination...but it didn't involve rehashing A New Hope as much as Force Awakens does.

Oh! Theory:

Snoke is Anakin's father.

Well if they are cherry picking EU and Snoke is truly Plaguise then there's a chance this can be fact through non intimate way. In EU the Force conceived him as a result of balance due to Plaguise breaking the laws of Force and pushing Darkside over the top of the scale.

I'm really torn about the film to be honest.

The good:

No backflips and spinning in the fights

Loved the special effects and the directors restraint in using them.

The lightsaber looks slightly more practical with a crossguard (bit of a stretch).

A stormtrooper who isn't just another disposable mook!

Some good laughs especially the 'troopers backing away when they hear a tantrum in progress.

"we'll use the force!" "that's not how that works."

The bad:

R2-D2 ex machina

hey that pilot dude is still alive

Death star V 3.0- still vulnerable to X-wings

Lack of security cameras in death star (ray's ability to escape detection seems the most obvious example of "HEY LOOK HOW COMPETENT THIS FEMALE CHARACTER IS, SHE DON'T NEED NO MAN TO RESCUE HER" Sure star wars has a reputation to address but its just ridiculously improbable and unnecessary, just have her walk out of her cell and find Han et al.

After giving us Finn and establishing the troopers as victims of the first order everyone (including Finn) still treats them as sub-human. No moral dilemma here they're just stormtroopers like your buddy Finn.

Untrained sword fighter beats experienced swordfighter but this is only a minor one as realistic sword fights would not work in films.

So finally saw it.

My personal opinion: It's good, but not great.

+It felt like star wars

+A lot of good moments

+Rey in particular was good

+Good visuals and sound

+The closing lightsaber fight was one of the best in the films in my opinion. It was more dynamic and interesting than the original trilogy and didn't look like a pre-choreographed performance the way the prequels did. 

-Too unoriginal and predictable. I know it was paying homage to the first film but it was just too much the same and what wasn't the same was still far too predictable.

-There were a number of times where the dialogue was noticeably clunky and excessively expositiony, though by and large it was pretty good

-There were a few too many exceedingly unlikely coincidences and things that just didn't quite make sense

-I'm still not quite sold on Kylo Ren, or to a lesser extent on Fin. I can see the potential but they didn't quite click for me yet.

Not sure if this should be a negative but Han's death really didn't work for me. I just found it far too obvious far too far in advance and when it happened I just didn't feel much. It wasn't till I'd got back home and read what other people thought of the movie that I really realised that, oh yeah, that was a really big deal. :P

Sometimes I wish I was better at shutting down the analytical part of my brain, but I spend more time training myself to think like that for the purpose of being a better game designer. :(

Overall I still enjoyed it, I'll probably enjoy it more the next time I watch it and I'm on board to see where they go next :)

Edit:

One other thing I noticed was to do with names. In the opening parts of the movie the writers took pains to make sure each character was named as early as possible, multiple times if they could and sometimes at the cost of some clunky dialogue. The exception was for Rey, she was onscreen for a considerable length of time before anyone used her name. I'm pretty sure that had to be a deliberate attempt to subtly set up or reinforce the mystery around her identity.

It's also cool being the same age as the heroes for a change :P

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

Watched it again this weekend and I think I liked it even more. The first time I had so much anticipation and probably unrealistic expectations that it interfered with my enjoyment a little. I do still think they kinda took the easy route and did ANH 2.0. I'm not completely sold on all the new characters but Rey is a star. 

Wow, I had totally forgotten that Anakin's mother's name was "Shmi."

And the new big bad is "Snoke?"

I keep thinking of him as "Snookie."

And when I read "Shmi," my brain immediately thought "Shmuck."

It's a really good thing that I'm not responsible for naming characters in movies... :P

And the new big bad is "Snoke?"

I keep thinking of him as "Snookie."

And when I read "Shmi," my brain immediately thought "Shmuck."

It's a really good thing that I'm not responsible for naming characters in movies... :P

A scene between Snookie and Emo Kylo Ren, interrupted by Shmuck....

....never mind. The world isn't ready yet. :ph34r:

Theory: Rey is Shmi Skywalker's clone who was raised by Obi Wan Kenobi's secret family. You heard it here first! :P

Edited by skaa

My theory: If the next movie doesn't knock it out of the park, J.J. Abrams will be called Jar-Jar Abrams for the rest of his life. And beyond. History books will list him as Jar-Jar Abrams. He might even be legally forced to make it his name at one point. 

I like to play my theories safe. :P:ph34r: 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

One of my classmates told me today that she's finally going to see the movie tonight. She loves movies and stuff, so I don't really get what's taken her so long. Somehow she's managed to stay away from all the spoilers for the past couple weeks. It's amazing to me that she has. Apparently a Lot of threats were made towards people who even thought about spoiling

Here are my thoughts children of Sanderson:

Abrams played it safe, probably too safe, people like the original Star Wars so he made a movie like the original Star Wars and avoided the problems the prequel trilogy had like the plague.  My opinion - it was not better than A New Hope or Empire and I'd actually probably rank it below RotJ at about the same level as the prequels.  It had the "look" of the original trilogy but it lacked the "heart." It avoided the pitfalls of the prequels but it had other mistakes that keep it from being among the best of the series. I like it but I think it has some serious flaws.

Here is what I feel the positives are:

-Entertaining appearance by Han Solo, had some pretty good lines.

-Likeable character in Rey.

-Fairly believable fighting - avoided the implausible lightsaber battles of Revenge of the Sith for instance.

-Story and action was good paced.

-BB-8 was an entertaining addition.

-I like the idea of Finn's character.

And some negatives [nerd rage on]:

-A 3rd death star - really?  I always felt like the Emperor ok'd the building of the 2nd death star as much to create a trap to end the rebellion once and for all as much as for the threat it posed by itself so it at least didn't feel like a clone of the 1st death star. But man, starkiller base felt like as stated so obviously in the movie a bigger death star - pretty much a copy of the 1st death star and plot of A New Hope.

-  The execution of Finn.  His story was just poorly executed in my opinion.  I know you can only fit so much in a couple of hours but I didn't find his character and story believable at all.  On the one hand you have the 1st Order Brass and Finn himself claiming Stormtroopers are raised from childhood to be fanatical killing machines that don't question authority and then in apparently the first time Finn sees combat, he is like well I am getting out of here.  What put the frosting on the cake for me with his character is later on when he says he knows about Starkiller base because he worked there as a janitor.....jaw drop.  Why the heck would the janitor be a part of a Stormtrooper assault squad on Jakku?  Why would a janitor be a Stormtrooper to begin with period?  I like the idea of a Stormtrooper questioning what he is doing and going rogue but man, it was just so poorly done in this case.

- Rey learned to use the Force way too quick - the Jedi train for years including Anakin and Luke Skywalker but Rey picks a heck of a lot up in a couple of days.  Seemed like the Jedi mind trick to escape was a cutsy way of the producers and writers going - Ok we want Rey, our strong independent lead female character that doesn't need rescuing to get free from Kylo....dang we got her locked up by herself and if she doesn't manage to escape quick then it will be just like A New Hope when Han and Luke rescue Leia....hey speaking of A New Hope why don't we make the 1st Order's base a gigantic death star....sorry back to the topic, how does Rey escape....hmmm yeah she could use the old Jedi mind trick (just ignore she just learned about the force and has had no training and probably hasn't even heard of a Jedi mind trick.)

- What the heck is up with the Resistance/Republic - why isn't there an Army of the Republic?  Why is the Resistance some seemingly relatively small little group that is "supported" by the Republic, the only people fighting what has to be the biggest threat to the Republic, the 1st Order?  Just doesn't make any sense to me.

[Nerd rage off]

I enjoyed watching it, but it just seemed to feel a little hollow actual story content and logic wise.  It is setting records but heck Avatar set records and that was just a remake of Dances with Wolves with some new special effects.  It was ok but not the best Star Wars movie.

I'm pretty sure your last point is being left open for the new EU universe to answer. It drives me nuts not knowing what was going on with the Republic and everything, but I'm guessing that's the point.

I loved Finn, maybe more than Rey. I guess I hadn't thought about it being odd him working in sanitation, aaaaand being a stormtrooper.

I agree on Finn. I think the sanitation line wa supposed to a joke/plot twist BUT he was clearly a stormy, and being a janitor left him at no disadvantage re knowledge of destroying the base.

Also, he seems to know a lot about how to normally interact with people for a brainwashed storm trooper from birth. I'm not exactly his greatest fan but the rest held together enough for me to want to see more n

Funnily enough, (death star aside), j didn't see it as a safe copy of ANH but more of a loving tribute to the series he was taking over. I'm hoping and expecting for the next movie to take the plot in a totally new direction.

I think the idea with Finn was that that doing sanitary work is par of the course for soldiers that aren't ready for the combat, because someone has to pick up the trash and they might as well take their already brainwashed trainees. Of course that doesn't explain why he suddenly resists his brainwashing with not apparent character transition and is a better shoot than most after only being combat ready recently.

As for the missing republic army. From what i could gather the republic essentially thought they had already won and just demilitarized, cause they're idiots.