Official Star Wars Episode VII SPOILER Thread

Seonid

Second time round, the "don't hold my hand" scene was much more annoying. Maybe because we discussed it so much??

Also Kylo Ren - TLR dude said he's a member of the Knights of Ren. Honestly reminds me of the Knighrs who say Ni :ph34r:

And his relationships with everyone are soo complicated. I've read a few fan theories and I don't quite subscribe to any yet, but. First I thought he was just pathetic. Now.....he's emotionally way out of his depth but there's a possibility he's not all evil. The subtext in Hans death scene? Insaaane. I don't understand much of it but wow there are layers of understanding going on there.

And have i mentioned how much I love Rey? I love Rey. I want to be her friend. She's so cool. :ph34r::wub:

Google "Emo Kylo Ren Twitter" and proceed to die laughing.

I enjoyed it, and I am currently the only member of my family who has seen it. I have the ability to watch a show once and quote it from memory. This is becoming a detriment to me.

"Is that even possible?"

"I never ask that question until after I've done it."

I watched it once.

So I loved the movie.

The thing I liked most was that it felt like a star wars movie, unlike the prequel trilogy. Definitely a throwback to the old movies.

At first I thought Rey would be Ren's daughter, until they revealed his relationship with Han and Leia. I still get the impression that he knew about her beforehand. When he found out BB-8 got away with some girl and he's like: "What girl?" and throws his first diaper baby tantrum.

And Han's death! I didn't see that coming! Well, not up until he decided to talk to Ren. Then it was totally obvious.

As to theories about Rey. I read that the voice that calls out to her in her vision is Ewan McGregor, so she may be related to Obi-Wan. But yeah, her learning so fast with no training really bothers me.

So I loved the movie.

The thing I liked most was that it felt like a star wars movie, unlike the prequel trilogy. Definitely a throwback to the old movies.

At first I thought Rey would be Ren's daughter, until they revealed his relationship with Han and Leia. I still get the impression that he knew about her beforehand. When he found out BB-8 got away with some girl and he's like: "What girl?" and throws his first diaper baby tantrum.

And Han's death! I didn't see that coming! Well, not up until he decided to talk to Ren. Then it was totally obvious.

As to theories about Rey. I read that the voice that calls out to her in her vision is Ewan McGregor, so she may be related to Obi-Wan. But yeah, her learning so fast with no training really bothers me.

They say "She's stronger than she knows" and she gets extreme Jedi aptitude. She may have been training with Luke before Ren went all wannabe Vader, so there's that.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought Rey's incredible aptitude worked, for the most part. Because really, she did have training. Everything she did, she learned from Kylo, frequently within moments of his demonstration. The first things she figures out is how to shield her mind, and affect the minds of others; in this case, she was quite literally in a do-or-die scenario, as Kylo was trying to take information from her about the map BB-8 had. She's clearly not very good at it, but her sheer power makes up the difference; beating back Kylo and surprising him enough to get a glimpse inside his head. From there, I imagine the thought process going something like, "Well, I just did that. Not really sure how, but can I do it again?" And after a couple failed attempts, she manages to convince a Stormtrooper to free her, presumably working off the same principles she discovered when she briefly looked in Kylo's mind. With the lightsaber, she'd just had two demonstrations of the Force being used to effect the physical world (one of which was rather up close and personal). Being extremely sensitive to the Force, and having figured out how to really use her power consciously, (I'd be willing to bet she'd been using it unknowingly for ages, between her salvage operations and her ridiculous piloting skills) it's not too much of a stretch for her to see what Kylo was doing, and just copy him; again, winning out in the end due to raw strength, rather than skill. At no point is Rey just getting skills from nowhere; instead she's observing, and intelligently applying what she learns. Sure, even given that, she learns things a little quick, but that's what suspension of disbelief is for right? :P

I think that the above sums up my feelings on Rey's progression pretty well. I think she's going to be much stronger than Luke and Vader, and I think her growth rate is part of that. The possibility that she had been a youngling goes well too.

I dunno, you can't really learn to use a sword effectively by watching other people with swords. Rey shouldn't be able to beat a trained lightsaber duelist by watching him fight. Sure, the Force could probably help with that, heightening her instincts and awareness, but it never seemed that the Force would be able to impart skill like that.

So, the only theories that make sense to me at this point are the ones about her having some training already.

Hmm, my thoughts on that are that Rey is shown on-screen as being quite speed in close combat with a quarterstaff. And Kylo is not exceptionally skilled with a lightsaber. That was enough for me. The rest of her force abilities could be sufficiently explained by imitation of what she sees Kylo doing. For me, at least.

I think that the above sums up my feelings on Rey's progression pretty well. I think she's going to be much stronger than Luke and Vader, and I think her growth rate is part of that. The possibility that she had been a youngling goes well too.

That's what worries me, last time that happened the character progression ended with Starkiller being able to move star destroyers with his mind and having absolutely no conceivable way for anyone to beat him. Granted that was a game but at this point Rey only just learned about the force and is casually beating up budding sith lords, any further progression for her character just leads to her becoming absurdly overpowered and meaning the next enemy has to be inexplicably more powerful as well.

Jedi

--see briefly into the future

--have increased strength, agility, and maybe senses

--can move objects with their minds

--can influence people's thoughts, getting them to do stuff

--have Force aptitude more or less passed down

--have swords that cut virtually anything except for a few things that the good guys never seem to have

Mistborn

--see briefly into the future

--have increased senses, strength, and agility

--can move metal with their mind

--being Metalborn is hereditary

--they don't have blades that can cut anything, but the Knights Radiant do!

Any questions?