I think Hoid might be evil but I can't quite figure out why.

Datan Nomlibash

OT Hemalurgy question - does the spike have to hit the same bind point in both parties?  IE could a spike through the donor's leg hit a bindpoint in the recipient's arm and work? or would that result in failure?  

Or do mis-matching bindpoints in donor and recipient result in different spiritweb changes, meaning you get different powers not only from different metals, location, and intent, but also how the bindpoints align between the two?

Systems appear to manifest due to interactions between Shard and world, so this exact form of hemalurgy probably didn't exist.

Nothing stops there being other ways to transfer spiritual DNA between subjects that existed pre-Shattering, of course, and I would not be surprised if there was (though it will remove much of hemalurgy's uses since it probably isn't as messy), but then it'd be a weird stroke of luck for spikes to be involved no? If a different shard showed up to help make Scadrial instead of Ruin we might get a slightly different manifestation if the shard was similar to Ruin (Cultivation maybe?) or just create a completely different system outright.

The spikes are a means of using the magic, tied to the local focus of "metal", the magic itself is a spiritweb transplanting technique. Much like Hoid's lightweaving (but not Shallan's) uses dust.

As for bind/theft points, well Inquisitor spikes appear to mostly if not all be taken from the heart (different parts if the heart though. Lots of theft points on there) but their spikes are all over the place.

Edited by natc

• 1 month later...

Secret History spoilers:

I can't believe nobody is mentioning this yet, but we finally know the reason to Vin's uneasiness at meeting Hoid: Kelsier. After Kelsier died, and got put in the Well by Preservation, a wild Hoid appeared and came to use the Well to bring himself into the Physical Realm. He insulted Kell so bad that Kelsier swore he would kill him, and they actually had a fist fight. Hoid remarked that, since Kell was lacking a body, he could hurt him. However, the pain was all in Kelsier's mind, thinking that he should feel pain when he didn't have to. I theorize that Hoid was a created thing, and part of his "instructions" includes not causing direct harm to people. Since Kell was dead, and the pain was in his head, Hoid was happy to "hurt" him, and that was outside of the rules. Hoid did seem rather antagonistic in this scene. Later on, when Kell was looking for ways to help Vin during the Fadrex invasion, he noticed Vin about to talk to Hoid and he shouted at her, and she got an uneasy feeling.

Of course he would. In WoR he says he would let ROSHAR burn to achieve his goals. What's one life to him?

I think the key word here is "let". He might not directly kill, but if it benefits him for someone to die he won't save them.

Edited by Arraenae

I think, in SA anyway, Hoid is worried that Odium will be set free, either himself by winning or by the heroes when they cannot destroy him and drive him away. Hoid will stop that from happening, and may be seen to doom Roshar in doing so and so is a "villain" in a way in the end of the first half of that Series (the letting the world burn that he alluded to, with Odium continuing to ravage Roahar) but a good figure for the Cosmere as a whole

Secret History spoilers:

I can't believe nobody is mentioning this yet, but we finally know the reason to Vin's uneasiness at meeting Hoid: Kelsier. After Kelsier died, and got put in the Well by Preservation, a wild Hoid appeared and came to use the Well to bring himself into the Physical Realm. He insulted Kell so bad that Kelsier swore he would kill him, and they actually had a fist fight. Hoid remarked that, since Kell was lacking a body, he could hurt him. However, the pain was all in Kelsier's mind, thinking that he should feel pain when he didn't have to. I theorize that Hoid was a created thing, and part of his "instructions" includes not causing direct harm to people. Since Kell was dead, and the pain was in his head, Hoid was happy to "hurt" him, and that was outside of the rules. Hoid did seem rather antagonistic in this scene. Later on, when Kell was looking for ways to help Vin during the Fadrex invasion, he noticed Vin about to talk to Hoid and he shouted at her, and she got an uneasy feeling.

Like a robot following Asimov's laws?

Edit; sorry for the double post

Edited by IndigoAjah

Yeah, I think Hoid's hatred of Hemalurgy and Rayse is more specifically about the murdering, and less about the actual magic or shards. However, it is interesting to me how Hoid hates Hemalurgy, and Brandon has said Hemalurgy is very dangerous to the Cosmere.

​Just came across this thread and post, and I don't know any WoBs that may answer this but....

Can a Shard's power be taken from them hemalurgically and transferred to some other entity (human, another Shard, etc)? Like, is a Vessel was killed with a spike, would that spike be imbued with the power of the Shard?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, they just popped into my mind while reading this and I was curious.

I meant spiking the Vessel carrying the Shard, specifically. Could a Vessel be killed in a way that imbued their powers into a hemalurgic spike? Not necessarily the magics from the planets, but the essense of their powers? There's just so much about hemalurgy we don't know. Does it only work to transfer powers from magic systems establish on planets by Shards? Hoid has powers that pre-date the Shattering, are those susceptible? My poor brain.

Again, not dodging the problem that you need a physical, tangible body in the first place to be stabbed by pointy metal bits. Hard when your physical form appears to vanish off to somewhere when you Ascend.

Hemalurgy doesn't even transfer magic, it transfers spiritweb pieces. Which plenty of magic has no correlation with whatsoever.

Edited by natc

• Chaos locked this topic