Why demoux?

RadiantNights

Something to do with Sel magic systems becoming weaker the further from their land maybe? Can't remember if Raoden glowed less in Sarene's country.

Further to this, granted not everyone need to be a powered hero type, as per Metacognitions point above.  However (I have only read Elantris once) Galladons skillset (from memory) is:

Farming

Being Elantran

Pessimism

Saying Kolo

Every team needs a realist.  However, I cannot see how Galladon would be much use to the 17th unless they need a pessimistic farmer who says Kolo a lot or one of the two following occurs.

1) He can somehow acces the Dor through Shadesmar - open Do(o)rway or somesuch.

2) He figured out that as long as he know the typography of the location, a Dors a Dor a Dors a Dor.

As an aside, how is entering Shadesmar from Sel particularly dangerous?

As an aside, how is entering Shadesmar from Sel particularly dangerous?

Brandon hasn't said anything directly, but he has indicated that it is because of rampant Shardic power, which is the result of both Selish Shards being splintered. Think of it as an eternal Cognitive Highstorm. Rather dangerous to pass through.

• 3 months later...

He is from White Sand. We aren't really supposed to discuss unpublished works around here, so I don't know if I should tell you who he is, but suffice it to say that it will be pretty obvious once you've read it.

Having just received and read White Sand, if it's someone who appears onscreen in the book there really only is one choice.  If it's someone from the same nation as the onscreen character, on the other hand...

I don't think it's a problem to give out names from White Sand; we're just not to discuss the plot. Khrissallah's name gets thrown around all the time because Sanderson himself said she is the most knowledgable person about the Cosmere in the universe. So I'm just gonna say it. He's Baon. If you haven't read White Sands, that will mean nothing at all to you. I don't think his identity is supposed to be a secret.

Here is the quote in question:

(source)

Its worth pointing out that all that confirms is that burning atium isn't involved in worldhopping, not that atium is not involved, either feruchemically or perhaps in whatever manner the southern continent makes use of metals.  Brandon saw some reason for laughing and saying good question.  Could have been a 'so close' thing - as in, atium had successfully been identified as a component in Scadrian worldhopping, but the narrow focus of the question (burning it) had put the person on the wrong track.

Edited by ROSHtaFARian2.0

I don't think Demoux will necessarily be useless. Brandon has said you can jury rig a way to use different powers on different planets. Zahel/Vasher being a prime example. If the three individuals are members of the organization the 17th shard, and it seems from Wit's letter that they have the backing of a shard holder, I could see it making sense that the organization would know how to employ their abilities using a native shard's power system. In other words, I think Demoux could theoretically power his Seer allomancy with stormlight. Just my own line of reasoning, I don't have anything concrete to back it up. 

Edited by P4thf1nd3r

I could be off here but on WoR there is a part where Rock meets a "god" (who is probably Hoid) emerging from one of the hot springs on the Horneater peaks. I'm thinking that these springs might be direct links to shadesmar or a way to world hop

I could be off here but on WoR there is a part where Rock meets a "god" (who is probably Hoid) emerging from one of the hot springs on the Horneater peaks. I'm thinking that these springs might be direct links to shadesmar or a way to world hop

Good catch! However, this has already been discussed on several Threads. A quick search for "worldhopping" gave the following ones, in case you're interested: PoolhoppingThe nature of moving through ShadesmarWorld Hopping and Sel.

I don't think Demoux will necessarily be useless. Brandon has said you can jury rig a way to use different powers on different planets. Zahel/Vasher being a prime example. If the three individuals are members of the organization the 17th shard, and it seems from Wit's letter that they have the backing of a shard holder, I could see it making sense that the organization would know how to employ their abilities using a native shard's power system. In other words, I think Demoux could theoretically power his Seer allomancy with stormlight. Just my own line of reasoning, I don't have anything concrete to back it up.

While other metals are a key to accessing Preservation's power, Atium is actually

Mistborn spoilers

more like Vin channeling the mist

which seems very much in line with Stormlight. Essentially, I'm guessing it's easier to use Stormlight in lieu of Atium than the other metals.

Holy crap, are you serious, Aether? That... is humbling, I suppose. I'm loving White Sand, though. Can't wait for the actual release.

Thanks for the sympathy. And yes, I was serious. This was a while ago, though. It seems like Brandon & Co. has become much better at responding to requests in general within the last year.

And yes, I enjoyed White Sand as well. Without going too much into it (we're not supposed to discuss it at all), I liked the "twelve labours" aspect of it, which makes it stand out from most modern Fantasy novels. You won't be the only one impatiently awaiting its release  ^_^

Thanks for the sympathy. And yes, I was serious. This was a while ago, though. It seems like Brandon & Co. has become much better at responding to requests in general within the last year.

And yes, I enjoyed White Sand as well. Without going too much into it (we're not supposed to discuss it at all), I liked the "twelve labours" aspect of it, which makes it stand out from most modern Fantasy novels. You won't be the only one impatiently awaiting its release  ^_^

And now thank you both, because this inspired me to go to the link and reach out to Brandon to hopefully get a copy of White Sand as well  :)

Galladon as a World Hopper is straight up awesome. Plus him being a pessimist/realist, yet loyal to a great cause regardless, makes him perfect. (Assuming the 17thshard is a great cause...)

As far as his Elantrian Magic. Since you can jury rig powers to work on other planets, I suspect the hoppers have figured out at least how to for most systems. I was thinking Galladon has a fabrial, with an Aon Rao on it. Crafted such that, when activated, it acts as a portable Elantris allowing him to not be region locked, and then, he uses stormlight to Power his other Aons. Kolo?

But now I'm thinking, since the Aons don't seem to go away until the user stops it, he may have to use the stormlight, which does go away after a while, so his illusions wouldn't stick the way it did when he and Raoden went on their undercover field trip. So he'd need to have a supply of infused spheres.

So I see him carrying two Fabrials. One giving him a portable Elantris, and one allowing him to draw on stormlight to make other Aons. And carrying enough spheres to replace the ones in the fabrials that get spent, or leaving his fabrials out in the storms. 

However he does it. Even being a pessimist. He has shown to be very resourceful, and not far from wise.

ugh, Hama would put me through Doloken for all these kayana theories. Hope I'm not being a rulo. Kolo?

• 3 years later...

Sorry to Necro, but I wanted to test a Demoux origin theory. Might already be well known, but I haven't found a sight of it on this forum yet. Here goes nothing:

We know from the HoA Annotations that Demoux's name is based on a friend of Brandon's. We also know he promised two things to his friend:
1) His character had to get a girl eventually, and
2) His character had to survive to the end of the series.

Now, the thought is this: When Micah DeMoux asked that, was he aware that this was going to be a collection of three series? Did he know of the Cosmere?

I see three way that Brandon could interpret that last sentence:
1) Demoux had to outlast the first trilogy.
2) Demoux had to outlast the entire Mistborn story, including all three Eras.
3) Demoux had to last the ENTIRE story (IE, the entire Cosmere)

Now, 1) is fine, and probably the one everyone assumes is accurate, however, if he chose either 2) or 3), then Brandon would have to make Demoux either an Atium compounder who survives from series to series much like Iron Eyes, or he would have to make him a Worldhopper. This might explain why Demoux, of all the Mistborn characters, was chosen as a 17th shard members by Brandon. And if it's true, it means that that "magical shield known as the author’s promise to his pal" if I may use Brandon's own words, would still apply as the story continues to unfold.

And if I'm right, it would also mean that Brandon fulfilled both those promises at once, which would be kinda cool. Why, you ask? Because the person who brought Demoux into the 17th shard is none other than Aslydin, Demoux's girlfriend.

(And for the record, Aslydin is not the terriswoman worldhopper we are looking for in Warbreaker. She isn't from Scadrial, so she isn't Terris at all.)

3 hours ago, Lord Maelstrom said:

(And for the record, Aslydin is not the terriswoman worldhopper we are looking for in Warbreaker. She isn't from Scadrial, so she isn't Terris at all.)

Actually, I'm pretty sure Aslydin has been confirmed to be the nurse from Warbreaker. There's a WoB about it somehwere.

@StrikerEZ WoB from reddit:

2) Aslydin is in the Seventeeth Shard, and had her own work to be about. I've given subtle clues about her before, but the ethnicity of the name should strike you.

Now, in the book we meet her as the daughter of one of the Terris Elders. However, in the above WoB, it is implied that her name should somehow imply that she is from the 17th shard. Now, the only way the ethnicity of her name would imply that are if (A) people of a specific ethnicity are more likely to be Worldhoppers or 17th Shard members or that (B) the ethnicity of her name is obviously from off-world, implying that she is a worldhopper. (B) is much more likely in my mind. Either way, the only way she is actually a terriswoman is if (A) her name being a terris one is somehow a hint to her being a worldhopper (extremely unlikely, plus it didn't seem like a terris name) or (B) She somehow got adopted into the terris culture enough to be considered a terriswoman (also somewhat of a stretch).

I'm going to take that reasoning to mean that she is from off-world and that that is why her name should a clue to her being in 17th shard. So, unless when Brandon said that there is a terriswoman in Warbreaker, he meant a woman who had previously disguised herself as a terriswoman, I'm going to take that to mean that she is not the Nurse in Warbreaker.

And I've searched for any other WoB in which Aslydin is mentioned by name, and all I found was a question about any couple other than her and Demoux, and then a RAFO'd question about whether she is a Feruchemist.

Edited by Lord Maelstrom
Added more WoB info.

@Lord Maelstrom it's from the most recent signing in Poland, and you'd have to search for nurse as I don't believe it mentions her by name. But it has been confirmed by Brandon. It's recent enough that you'll have better luck looking for it in the events and signings forum, as it's probably not on Theoryland. 

I believe the comments her name were supposed to be hints that she's may have been raised by people with knowledge of other worlds, not that they are actually non-native. 

Edited by Calderis

@Calderis I just read pretty much all of the interview. It mentions that the Terriswoman is in fact the nurse in Warbreaker, but it never connects either the nurse or the terriswoman to Aslydin. I feel like people assumed that Aslydin was the terriswoman worldhopper because she is introduced as a terriswoman, but I don't think thats right, and I can't find any WoBs backing that.

Edited by Lord Maelstrom

Let's talk about the ethnicity of the name "Asyldin". Immediately two things come to my mind.

1) Names on Threnody often include concepts. In this case we have "Asyl" in the name, which is synonymous with Asylum, what might be a pretty common name on Threnody. At least it fits to names like Silence.

2) "-din" (or probably just "-in") is the Alethi particle in names that indicates something like "born from", "born through". There are a couple of names ending with -din, notably Kaladin, Bordin (Dalinars agent), Redin (the heterochromatic Bastard of the jahkehvedan highprince, plus a historical figure named Dandos Heraldin, which is a cameo of Dan Dos Santos. [my Spanish/Portuguese is close to zero, but Dos Santos means something like "of the saints", so Heraldin "of the heralds" is reasonable].

Combining these two, Asyldin might be an Alethi-Threnodite offspring, with "Asyldin" meaning "Asylum's daughter".

Or, she is an Alethi-Terrismen offspring who was born on Scadrial, which her parents considered an Asylum (eg from possible highprince-wars in eastern Roshar), meaning something like "born in an Asylum".

Note: names ending with -din are not uncommon elsewhere in the Cosmere, notably Bavadin and sone characters on Scadrial. No Terrismen, though.

Oh I posted this on another thread in terms of the pretty good idea that she may not be Terris, but I found something in the Annotations. 

If you've been keeping track, this Terriswoman is, indeed, the romantic interest I promised Micah DeMoux by the end of the book. He said he didn't care if he ended up with an important character—that didn't matter to him. He just wanted Captain Demoux to find romance. It took some working, but I managed to work it in. The story behind this is, of course, Captain Demoux and his troops showing up to lend organization and authority to the Terris people, who had been flooded with refugees.

Demoux and his men created law and order, stopping the petty theft and the like that had been a problem with the refugee bands. He essentially took command of the entire place, though he was very respectful to the Terris leaders. This woman, daughter of one of the Terris elders, fell in love with Demoux for his honor and his respectability, and he began to reciprocate.

Even as the world neared its end, she and Demoux were able to find love.

And @Alfa I liked those linguistic points. I suppose that WoB only specifies that one parent was Terris, but we do at least know she's a local. 

Just now, Extesian said:

Oh I posted this on another thread in terms of the pretty good idea that she may not be Terris, but I found something in the Annotations. 

And @Alfa I liked those linguistic points. I suppose that WoB only specifies that one parent was Terris, but we do at least know she's a local. 

I WAS RIGHT. HAH!

16 hours ago, Lord Maelstrom said:

However, in the above WoB, it is implied that her name should somehow imply that she is from the 17th shard. Now, the only way the ethnicity of her name would imply that are if (A) people of a specific ethnicity are more likely to be Worldhoppers or 17th Shard members or that (B) the ethnicity of her name is obviously from off-world, implying that she is a worldhopper. (B) is much more likely in my mind. Either way, the only way she is actually a terriswoman is if (A) her name being a terris one is somehow a hint to her being a worldhopper (extremely unlikely, plus it didn't seem like a terris name) or (B) She somehow got adopted into the terris culture enough to be considered a terriswoman (also somewhat of a stretch).

I'm going to take that reasoning to mean that she is from off-world and that that is why her name should a clue to her being in 17th shard. So, unless when Brandon said that there is a terriswoman in Warbreaker, he meant a woman who had previously disguised herself as a terriswoman, I'm going to take that to mean that she is not the Nurse in Warbreaker.

I think you're going down the wrong alley with this reasoning. Brandon had given no other hints about Aslydin directly; her typical Terris name (like Tindwyl or Handerwym) was a clue to connect her to the Terriswoman worldhopper that he had mentioned a couple years prior to that. So, option (C) is that he was tying her through ethnicity to the known Terris worldhopper.

• Chaos locked this topic