Shadesmar=Cognitive Realm?

Firiel

Okay, this is just a question... not a theory. But it has to do with multiple books, so I'm asking it here.

It seems like so far, the references to Shadesmar on the forum speak of it as just a synonym for the cognitive realm. Is that the case? Or is Shadesmar like Roshar's version/piece of the cognitive realm and each world has its own Shadesmar-like cognitive realm counterpart that we just haven't seen yet?

The reason I ask is because it seems to be indicated by what I've read here that the former is true, but the fact that Shadesmar seems to mirror the physical shape of Roshar so closely seems to indicate the latter, and I was confused. :)

The assumption is based off of this quote:

Each of the 'Shardworlds' I've written in (Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, Way of Kings) exists with the same cosmology. All things exist on three realms--the spiritual, the cognitive, and the physical. What's going on here is an interaction between the three realms. I don't to bore you with my made up philosophy, but I do have a cohesive metaphysical reasoning for how my worlds and magic works. And there is a single plane of existence--called Shadesmar, the Cognative Realm--which connects them all.

In an interview Brandon mentioned that Shadesmar = The Cognitive Realm. You can most likely find it in the Brandonothology if you look for it. In addition, before TWOK came out, Brandon mentioned Hoid's skill at manipulating Shadesmar as a means of planet hopping. Presumably the map of Shadesmar in the back of TWOK is simply a map of the only parts of Shadesmar Rosharians are likely to reach.

So, yes, Shadesmar is the Cognitive Realm, and seems to mirror the Physical Realm.

*Edit* What he ^ said.

Edited by Link Von Kelsier Harvey

Okay, I think I've got it. Shadesmar does equal the cognitive realm, but there are possibly other parts of Shadesmar not included in the map in TWoK. Thanks. :) I really need to get around to reading through the whole Brandonothology. Then I'll stop asking silly questions.

• Chaos locked this topic