More AoL Annotations!

Curiosity

They still have the odd effect of being able to power Allomancy. (And Feruchemy as well—if one knows how to do it.)

I mean, this isn't a surprise, but it's still so very interesting. How does one use the mists? Wax is obviously Harmony's favored, explaining his possible-use at the end of AoL, but ANYONE can use them?

I want more information on this front!

I mean, this isn't a surprise, but it's still so very interesting. How does one use the mists? Wax is obviously Harmony's favored, explaining his possible-use at the end of AoL, but ANYONE can use them?

I want more information on this front!

I think this may be a clue to the metallic arts of southern Scadrial, it is interesting because this means that there may be mechanical feruchemy as well. 

Note to Peter: Typo on the final page. In the (second?) last paragraph, Brandon accidentally typed 'gentic' instead of 'genetic'.

Anyway, it was interesting hearing about the backgrounds of certain things. The only major surprise was the Miles spiking thing, which someone will almost certainly clarify in the Calamity signing.

Wax being a steel savant now begs the question what the special effect from his combination of powers is. (because the steel bubble is no longer a contestant)

Team Sanderson has been consistently crushing my theories for years now. At this point I almost feel like my theories are as valuable as WoBs, only they come with a negative value - if I predict something, it's not going to be true...

Perhaps embedded metals. I was interested to find that the steel bubble is a result of Wax being a Savant. 

I got a serious question here, we know that Miles has rapid healing due to his Feruchemy and Allomatic combination, but how does he survive explosions? How is his body healing faster then being blown to bits instantly by an explosive? Wouldn't the bracers be blown off possibly, or even his whole body destroyed before it could heal at all?

I got a serious question here, we know that Miles has rapid healing due to his Feruchemy and Allomatic combination, but how does he survive explosions? How is his body healing faster then being blown to bits instantly by an explosive? Wouldn't the bracers be blown off possibly, or even his whole body destroyed before it could heal at all?

The only explosion that Miles has to deal with is pretty minor in the grand scale of things, all things said. I agree with you that it seems unlikely he could survive something like a nuclear bomb detonating on top of him, but he never has to deal with anything like that.

Honestly, I don't think you can rule out miles surviving a nuke... Unless it also vaporizes his metalminds. Suppose an explosion instantly vaporizes him and launches his metal minds flying away at 300 mph (480 kmh). Since he's always tapping absurd amounts of healing, i don't think we can definitively rule out him reforming touching one or several goldminds.

Mostly because, it seems like it would be more accurate to say his spirit taps feruchemy than his body. But what do i know?

Edited by Pechvarry

From the Annotations:

This is dangerous for narrative reasons. I’ve often said that the limitations of a power are more interesting than the powers themselves. (It’s Sanderson’s Second Law of Magics: Limitations > Powers.) One of the reasons for removing Mistborn and Full Feruchemists from the setting was so that we could focus in on the usefulness of the individual powers in Allomancy and Feruchemy. That falls by the wayside if any of the individual powers become too strong on their own.

This makes sense...but he seems to not follow this rule in SoS:

Paalm's steelunning is insanely overpowered, assuming she's also mentally faster when she's tapping her steel. Also, Brandon in the Annotations mentions that Speed Bubbles would be overpowered if he purposefully didn't break the physics by getting rid of the excess kinetic energy AND forcing a cool down period AND not being able to move the speed bubble.

Given these facts, steelrunning is more or less equal to moving the speed bubble plus increased mental speed. We see a Steel Runner in the beginning of the book shoot one gun three times in such a short amount of time that everyone assumes only one shot was fired. Unless Brandon is going to show other misting and ferring powers to be quite powerful, I'm starting to get quite skeptical of the direction characters/powers/books on Scadrial may go.  

The only explosion that Miles has to deal with is pretty minor in the grand scale of things, all things said. I agree with you that it seems unlikely he could survive something like a nuclear bomb detonating on top of him, but he never has to deal with anything like that.

I'm only asking how is it possible for him to heal faster then an explosion? Such as when

Miles detonates dynamite to escape Wax's net trap. Wouldn't the dynamite destroy him faster then he could heal, especially considering he was holding the stick of dynamite close to his bracers.

Edited by Shotgunsalesman

I'm only asking how is it possible for him to heal faster then an explosion? Such as when

Miles detonates dynamite to escape Wax's net trap. Wouldn't the dynamite destroy him faster then he could heal, especially considering he was holding the stick of dynamite close to his bracers.

I've written some stuff on this before here.

But remember, he had way more than the two bracers. He had metal inside him, probably had metal on his feet, etc. As his flesh is blown off, more reforms near-instantly, which will further shield any metal on him. And only a very small portion of the explosion from the dynamite is going to hit his body.

Unlike Wayne, he has nigh-infinite stores, and in Feruchemy you have no upper limit on the amount of power you can tap from your metalminds. You can drain everything you have stored in a millisecond, if it suits your fancy. As a possible Feruchemical gold savant (if those exist... it's probable they do, Miles stopped feeling pain, much like Allomantic pewter savants are said to), it might be that he would instinctively draw massive amounts of health when he detects he's under great danger.

But that last bit isn't even needed. Miles knew the explosion was about to happen, and could have consciously decided to start tapping absurd amounts of health.

Hoid (a Feruchemist) and TLR are said to have survived beheadings, though it is not known for sure in the case of TLR and Hoid may not have used Feruchemy to do it. Radiants are capable of quite a lot as well, if you've read SA... Gold Compounders should beat Radiants due to the no upper limit thing. Healing is very powerful in the Cosmere.

I think you're overestimating how big the explosion from the little bit of dynamite that Miles had would be.

Just so you know, spoiler tags are not required for AoL in the Mistborn forum. Only SoS content needs to be tagged, and that does not need tags in Cosmere Theories or the Shadows of Self Board.

Edited by Moogle

• Chaos locked this topic