Do the Heralds believe in the Almighty?

KnightGradient

In the prelude, Kalak thinks, "Almighty above." Why would a Herald, who supposedly knew Honor, worship him, even in his own thought? Am I missing something? At several points in the prelude, Kalak shows signs of belief in the Almighty. This bears a question; did the Heralds revere Tanavast as the Almighty, or did they see something else as their God?

Do we have reason to think they knew him as anything other than Honor, one of the three "gods" on Roshar? Wit met Tanavast, but for all we know that could have been back on Yolen.

jW

Considering that Tanavast apparently bought drinks for him that's probably exactly where they met.

I believe Hoid is supposedly acquainted with all 16 people who first Ascended.

There's the option that the choice of word has less to do with their current faith and comes more from culture and habit, afterall we have enough non religious people using the word god in various terms without them suddenly turning religious.

Agreed,  I'm an athiest and if you startle me or something else my swearing may very well start that way.

Just thought to add.  It seems to be that we (humans in general) pick up the general curses in the area we're in.  It's possible in my mind that if living on Roshar for long enough even someone from elsewhere in the cosmere might start to use Rosharan curses.

Edited by Charononus

We've seen another instance (in a different Cosmere series) of a group of beings worshiping a Shard whose human origin they were aware of, so I think it's quite possible that the Heralds worshiped Honor.

• Chaos locked this topic