Annoying Non-Readers...

Vander

Basically, a thread to quote things that absolutely enraged you. (Note the exaggeration.) As in: "What? Shardblade? That's kinda silly..." or "Oh, LOL, that guy on the cover needs a haircut," and "TL;DR."

Also, to get an accurate sample space inclusive of ALL levels of maturity... "This book looks gay."

So, I'll start: "Wait. This DOESN'T take place on Earth? Then why is there a map of Europe on the cover?" This... actually happened.

So, I'll start: "Wait. This DOESN'T take place on Earth? Then why is there a map of Europe on the cover?" This... actually happened.

That is... hilarious. If I ever find that map on the cover, I will try to make a joke theory about it.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

I've successfully gotten someone into The Wheel of Time and The Second Apocalypse, but I haven't had much luck with the Cosmere. My girlfriend has read a couple of them, but she's never caught the obsession, and I wouldn't say she really retains much memory of any of them. She did read Shadows of Self, even though I told her she should at least read Alloy of Law first. Oh well.

Oh. If that is true, there goes my joke theory. A pity, since I would try to find a way to link it with my (somewhat... Ok, not really) more serious suspicion that Renarin is part of one of Roshar's many conspiracies.

Ghostblood=Illuminati, Sons of Honor= Knights Templar, anyone? Or would the Diagram be better for the Illuminati?

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

Oh, man. I just came across the most egregious example of an infuriating non-fan today on Goodreads. I'm really not sure what to think of this guy. He must be a troll or something because I just can't understand how anyone could be so dense. This guy is like the Platonic form of dullardry (it's a a word now, okay?). 

If you want to see for yourself, this the thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2251585-i-am-losing-interest-really-fast?page=1

But I really suggest not even reading it. It will just make you angry. This guy seriously doesn't understand that Shardblades aren't around in the Physical Realm when the bearers dismiss them. That was clear in the prologue to TWoK, even though nothing else was yet. He makes fun of the description of a Highstorm blowing leaves ahead of it on the Shattered Plains because he doesn't think there should be leaves in the "desert" (yes, he doesn't understand that it's not a desert at all). He criticizes the magic systems, somehow having gotten the impression that Surgebinders can just do anything that Brandon finds convenient for the plot (also, he thinks it is all called soulcasting). 

It just goes on and on and on. Technically, this guy doesn't count as a non-reader, but wow. The most infuriating non-reader could never make me as angry as that.

Oh, man. I just came across the most egregious example of an infuriating non-fan today on Goodreads. I'm really not sure what to think of this guy. He must be a troll or something because I just can't understand how anyone could be so dense. This guy is like the Platonic form of dullardry (it's a a word now, okay?). 

If you want to see for yourself, this the thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2251585-i-am-losing-interest-really-fast?page=1

But I really suggest not even reading it. It will just make you angry. This guy seriously doesn't understand that Shardblades aren't around in the Physical Realm when the bearers dismiss them. That was clear in the prologue to TWoK, even though nothing else was yet. He makes fun of the description of a Highstorm blowing leaves ahead of it on the Shattered Plains because he doesn't think there should be leaves in the "desert" (yes, he doesn't understand that it's not a desert at all). He criticizes the magic systems, somehow having gotten the impression that Surgebinders can just do anything that Brandon finds convenient for the plot (also, he thinks it is all called soulcasting). 

It just goes on and on and on. Technically, this guy doesn't count as a non-reader, but wow. The most infuriating non-reader could never make me as angry as that.

Ugh... I should have taken your advice... At this time, I'm halfway through, and slightly mesmerized by the sheer stupidity of some specimens of humanity. 

Really, though. How old is this guy? Ten? "I don't have the answers now, and since I don't have them now it must mean that there are no answers and everything is happening as the author needs it, with no story to back it. What? It's explained later? Let me not read on and instead guess what happens according to my own opinions, to continue staining the book's reputation."

Also, there was a "Let's Read" that just made me sad. Here you are: 

https://ronanwills.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/lets-read-the-way-of-kings-prelude-prologue/

Word to the wise: ACTUALLY don't read this one. 

Edit: Finished the Goodreads thread. I think I have a concussion. Also, does anybody know a good painter? My wall is slightly... red.

What do you MEAN you don't care about 47,000 reviews? What sort of statement is that?

Edited by Vander Honorsworn

Ugh... I should have taken your advice... At this time, I'm halfway through, and slightly mesmerized by the sheer stupidity of some specimens of humanity. 

Really, though. How old is this guy? Ten? "I don't have the answers now, and since I don't have them now it must mean that there are no answers and everything is happening as the author needs it, with no story to back it. What? It's explained later? Let me not read on and instead guess what happens according to my own opinions, to continue staining the book's reputation."

Also, there was a "Let's Read" that just made me sad. Here you are: 

https://ronanwills.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/lets-read-the-way-of-kings-prelude-prologue/

Word to the wise: ACTUALLY don't read this one. 

Edit: Finished the Goodreads thread. I think I have a concussion. Also, does anybody know a good painter? My wall is slightly... red.

What do you MEAN you don't care about 47,000 reviews? What sort of statement is that?

Ugh. Why did I click on that link?

it's okay to not like the epic fantasy, but that doesn't mean you should complain about it. Most of what he didn't like wasn't even Brandon-specific, it was just general epic fantasy.

Ugh. Why did I click on that link?

it's okay to not like the epic fantasy, but that doesn't mean you should complain about it. Most of what he didn't like wasn't even Brandon-specific, it was just general epic fantasy.

Read on. There're many, MANY more. 

Also, I noticed something on the Goodreads page. There's THREE pages? NOOOOOO...

*struggles with curiosity* *loses* 

Isn't it awful? He has to be a troll.

Such an odd troll, though. Where does the motivation to become an epic fantasy troll come from? Particularly when you clearly have read a considerable amount of the material.

I mean, he can't be serious, right? Every single thing he complains about is actually the opposite of what he says.

It still made me really mad. I'm the guy (Daniel Clouser) right before Vander, at the end of the thread--the one who calls him dumber than cabbage and garden gnomes. I feel that neither comparison adequately expresses how stupid this guy is.

Edited by DSC01

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I have been reading this thread since it started  :ph34r: I seriously wonder why people even bothered to answer to this lunatic  :blink: I have read well formulated and fair negative critics of the Stormlight Archives (after all, a book can't appeal to everyone and why we all love it, there are people who wouldn't like it), but that one is so horrible it has gotten pathetic. The guy clearly has reading issues: he complains about how the world is built claiming it should have been done differently  :o

Anyway, anything on the Goodread forums is terrible, IMO. 

This "Andrew" or "Johnny" looks like a professional troll.

Whereas he tells us in the WoR thread he had read GRRM and is anticipating the next volume - as "Andrew" - with his alias "Johnny" he has started a similiar offensive thread against ASoIaF telling he has stopped reading after the Battle of Blackwater.

I think I read that review before. It is just shocking how he was so obvious in his trolling, refusing to end the book and complaining about things not being immediately explained. Although it also speaks well of those who replied in the beggining how they first assumed it was just a completely clueless person and tried to be rational.

I think I read that review before. It is just shocking how he was so obvious in his trolling, refusing to end the book and complaining about things not being immediately explained. Although it also speaks well of those who replied in the beggining how they first assumed it was just a completely clueless person and tried to be rational.

Yup. Meanwhile, I'm conflicted. Should I argue against him, or ignore it?