So, my school is starting a Bring Your Own Device program, and I'm looking at getting a laptop. I want it to be 11-14 inches, so it won't completely take up my desk, and I want it to be a fairly good laptop. I've considered the Surface Pro 4, but it's too rich for my blood. Most important thing for me is the feel of the keyboard, but they don't list that anywhere. <_< Any suggestions?

What's your criteria for the 'feel of the keyboard'? Also, if you're interested in the Pro 4, but it's a bit pricey, have you looked at the Pro 3? They're going to be cheaper, and will likely have discounts if they're trying to clear them out. Also, at least from the Microsoft online store, you should be able to get a 10% discount as a student (plus, shipping is free).

I don't like the feel of the keyboards that are "soft," if you know what I mean. It just makes me feel like the keyboard isn't working. Unfortunately, most laptops have soft keyboards. One of the reasons I like the Pro 4 is because the keyboard felt good to type on. 

I'll look into the Pro 3. 

I'm curious what is this Bring your own device program?  

As for the device itself.  The main question is what are you using it for?

Papers,  email,  web browsing?  Graphic design?  Coding?  Each use is going to mean a slightly different system is better or worse per dollar spent.   For example a system that just needs to do some basic web browsing and word processing,  means that you can pretty much go with anything including a bargain laptop.  If you are doing something with more graphic intensity,  you might want to steer away from systems that have a intel HD video integrated gpu and get something with a real gpu like an nvidia XXXm product.  (X's are place holders for the real numbers in this case).  For coding my personal opinion is that you might want to get something with a larger HDD so that you can dual boot a couple different operating systems.  

As for how the keyboard feels,  I like my ASUS,  but it's a RoG system that probably is way more than what you need or want.

Well, starting second semester, my school is giving us wi-fi access. At the moment, it is password-protected and we literally have no signal inside the school. They're also giving all of the students an Office 365 account, and there will be some sort of school-wide messaging system.

The problem is, it seems to be up to the teachers for what exactly students will use it for. One thing I'm afraid of is that I'll go out and buy a decent laptop, only to find that none of my teachers want to actually use the program. I think my English class would use it, and I dearly hope we can use devices during study hall now. (I once was told off for reading from a Nook Simple Touch, which can only use the internet for buying more books) I already know that band, math, and physics probably won't use it at all. I'm hesitant to buy one for only one class.

Another issue is that all of the students may not be able to bring a device, so the teachers can't count on technology for lessons. 

If it does work out, it would probably mostly be used for word-processing, and maybe putting together Powerpoints or something.

• 1 year later...

Ahh yes, excuse me while I ramble, I personally own an amazing chromebook about that size, great speakers and screen and keyboard, and slap linux on that thing and its pretty great. Would highly recommend it, c(cant remember the model off the top of my head but if you want to know I can get it for you.)