Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

Prepare yourselves for a gazillion replies, aka What Happens When Delightful Is Away For Ages And You Mention Judaism And Other Interesting Things.

On 20 August 2017 at 6:09 AM, Draginon said:

Exactly! I've seen these same women move cabinets and other furniture that weighs way more than the 'heavy' TE's and these items will be loaded down with stuff. I'm not someone who thinks every woman needs help with lifting things, but if one is doing it because they don't feel like doing it then it's wrong.

Tell that to the Irish of the 19th century and the Jews. Both are white but decades ago they were listed under the black/brown color, which when it was first proposed had nothing to do with skin color but instead by area. And people go on about slavery being a black only thing, but it was actually named after the Slavs, a white race, so the original racism was white people versus white people! Study your history!

Hi! not sure if I've met you before. :)

A couple points:

Regardless of who slavery is named after, it's been around for millennia and has applied to multiple different groups of people. I'm not sure what slavic people have to do with this specific instance of racism and slavery. 

Second, Jews aren't white. Some Jews are pale skinned, the result of centuries in Europe where we were hated on for being Semitic, not like the Europeans. We sometimes benefit from white privilege, but we're still usually outsiders, 'The Other', and targets of anti-Semitic attacks. Religious Jews in Western countries have trouble getting time off work for Jewish holidays, are discriminated against for covering their heads etc. I grew up in Australia, a pretty fair, lawful multicultural country. My family, friends and I myself have experienced discrimination, violence and hate. That's not the result of being white/having white privilege. 

That's pale skinned Jews I'm talking about. That's only a fraction of the population. For pop culture examples, Drake and Daveed Diggs are both black American Jews. For more examples, check out this awesome compilation: http://popchassid.com/10-photos-to-remind-you-that-jews-dont-fit-into-a-stereotype-and-never-have/ 

I personally know Jews of many different colours, ethnicities, and (relatively recent) countries of origin. I'm totally happy to discuss this if you want to PM me.

On 21 August 2017 at 2:23 AM, little wilson said:

Delightful is Jewish. Just saying.

On 21 August 2017 at 2:24 AM, Calderis said:

I fought the urge to say "So Delightful, how's life in Israel" so hard. 

Love you guys. 

On 21 August 2017 at 5:25 AM, Shqueeves said:

Judaism isn't a race

It's reeeaaalllyyyy complicated. Judaism is simultaneously religion, ethnic group, nation, and probably a few other things I've forgotten. One way of looking at it is a really big really old family originally based around a religion that many descendants and converts now follow slightly varied versions of. 

On 24 August 2017 at 11:23 AM, Extesian said:

You may like this. In Czech, the word for moth translates literally to Nightmare. 

Ha thanks @Darkness Ascendant fixed that up :D

That is strange and awesome.

On 24 August 2017 at 3:36 PM, Penumbra said:

Sometimes it's based in an almost primal fear of things that move in a way or look like something that we associate with reasonable fears I guess. Many people fear spiders even though we don't live around poisonous spiders, for example. I am afraid of moths because I've had quite a few instances where they got stuck in my hair or inside my clothes, which is a terribly uncomfortable feeling :b

Aussies live around poisonous spiders :D. 

On 26 August 2017 at 4:45 AM, Draginon said:

Here's one: Names that make you go "That's a boy/girl name?" Two significant ones for me are Ichigo and Sissel. The first time I encountered Ichigo was the anime Bleach so I kind of associate it with boys more despite the name meaning strawberry. Sissel just does not sound like a girls name. The first time I encountered it was the game Ghost Trick and when I first heard after that that it was a name for girls and not guys I was just thinking a mental 'what?!' since it sounds like a guy name from a European nation.

Israeli names are veeerry unisex. And if they're not, people will pretend they are and give boys girls names and vice versa. It can get confusing. My favourite name is Shachar, because it can be male, female, first name, or surname. 

On 27 August 2017 at 6:21 AM, Draginon said:

I do know plenty of people of Spanish heritage use both gendered names for middle names no matter the gender but I've never heard of anyone naming their son Maria.

I've seen it as a unisex name myself so it's never been one that caught me off guard. What did surprise me was learning most people think it's a gender exclusive name, like Bob and Alice.

Bob can be Bobby/Roberta/Barbara I think.

On 29 August 2017 at 3:52 PM, Draginon said:

Okay old king coal ;)

Does that include people where that is their natural voice? Like Marzia, Pewdiepie's girlfriend, has one of those voices and it annoys my girlfriend when I've sent some of her videos.

Old King Cole was a merry old soul/a merry old soul was he. He turned on the light in the middle of the night to go to the WC.

This has been today's childhood song dredged up from Delightful's memory. 

On 30 August 2017 at 5:43 PM, Calderis said:

When people misspell Ialai as Lalai. What part of blasphemy through symmetry doesn't make sense? 

:lol: 

On 31 August 2017 at 4:44 PM, Pinnacle-Ferring said:

This made me do a double take. Because in Hebrew the word "mother" is אמא, pronounced EE-ma. I tend to spell it "Imma" so I thought for a split second you were upset about people addressing their mothers.

I did the same thing!

On 31 August 2017 at 5:44 PM, Draginon said:

That puts Kanye's 2009 quote on a different meaning "Mother let you finish..."

:lol: 

On 1 September 2017 at 10:23 PM, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

I have not gotten to The Spire yet, though I've heard plenty good about it. 

My favorite so far has been Pincher Martin. It's a nice little, dense cruel book... but that pretty much describes every William Golding novel! 

As far as the adaptation goes: it depends on how much they change and how good they are with actually writing. If the only thing that changes is that it is all girls instead of all boys, it will fail. If they can't convincingly write girl characters, it will fail miserably. 

Another way to look at it is to consider the Lion King. It's pretty much an adaptation of Hamlet, but with an African setting and African animals. But they also didn't blindly follow Hamlet, they just used it as a framework. Something similar needs to be done in order for the Lord of the Flies adaptation to succeed. 

Ooooh yeah I heard about that adaption! I'm hoping its written really well in which case I'm excited. Themyscira for wild dangerous people .

On 2 September 2017 at 5:19 AM, Calderis said:

On the name thing... I normally don't care. Names get pronounced the way the person says they should (though getting upset about it is needless). 

There's one though, that totally broke my brain. When we were trying to find a name for my son, my wife came across a woman on a pregnancy forum who was naming her child Abcde. 

First I was upset because how in damnation do you pronounce that? 

Then I was upset because she said it's pronounced Ab-sih-dee. 

What? 

That actually sounds kinda pretty....and like a pokemon. Absidy? but definitely not spelled abcde. That's just weird. 

On 2 September 2017 at 7:38 AM, Mestiv said:

I don't understand how can there be so many ways to read the same word in English. And they say that English is an easy language :/

English is haaaard. Who told you it was easy?

On 3 September 2017 at 4:57 AM, Draginon said:

New pet peeves: People who drive without their lights on at night. What secrets are you hiding that you need to be a void in the darkness?

Never mind hiding secrets, thats downright life-and-death dangerous!

On 3 September 2017 at 9:33 PM, StrikerEZ said:

Okay, but how do you guys pronounce caramel?

Cara-mel? short a sounds. 

On 4 September 2017 at 2:20 AM, Draginon said:

How about when someone makes a complaint that has little or no logic behind it? Like my mom complains when my bedding smells but that's a normal thing when you've got sweat, dead skin and body odor sinking in while sleeping. Wish she could reveal her secret to not producing any natural waste while I'm sleeping.

I never understood the zed pronunciation since I hadn't heard z pronounced that way until I got the Doctor Who DVDs a few years back and the documentaries would mention Z Cars for contemporary shows.

Maybe she's hinting you should wash your sheets?

ZED ZED ZED ZED EX WHY ZEEEDDDDDDDDD. I'll see myself out now. :P 

On 4 September 2017 at 10:22 PM, Steeldancer said:

Root beer is amazing. And it's born to go with pizza

Is that like ginger beer?

On 7 September 2017 at 8:42 AM, Erunion said:

Pet Peeve: conspiracy theories. 

This weekend I had a long, in-person talk with someone who was leaning towards some conspiracy theories (never been to space, fake moon landing/etc.). At the end of that convo I am fairly confident that I convinced him not to buy into that crem. Which is great.

I know someone who's into conspiracy theories, not because she believes them, but because the way humans find patterns in everything really fascinates her. 

On 7 September 2017 at 11:18 AM, Mestiv said:

My pet peeve: people hitting monitors when computers are working slowly :P

Yeah, sweet talking usually works much better :P.

On 14 September 2017 at 11:21 AM, Sami said:

One of my more irrational pet peeves:

When someone pretends to imitate a conductor, but they don't have the slightest inkling that there's more to it than just bobbing and waving your hands in the air, in time to the music

I totally know there's more to it, but I don't know what, so I bob and wave my hands like the untrained idiot I am. :D

Edited by Delightful

15 hours ago, Delightful said:

Aussies live around poisonous spiders :D. 

Yeah brr. I've been to Australia and seen some of them, so I'd like to claim that personally my own fear of spiders is COMPLETELY rational (even though I currently live in Sweden where no spider will harm you).

20 hours ago, Delightful said:

A couple points:

Regardless of who slavery is named after, it's been around for millennia and has applied to multiple different groups of people. I'm not sure what slavic people have to do with this specific instance of racism and slavery. 

Second, Jews aren't white. Some Jews are pale skinned, the result of centuries in Europe where we were hated on for being Semitic, not like the Europeans. We sometimes benefit from white privilege, but we're still usually outsiders, 'The Other', and targets of anti-Semitic attacks. Religious Jews in Western countries have trouble getting time off work for Jewish holidays, are discriminated against for covering their heads etc. I grew up in Australia, a pretty fair, lawful multicultural country. My family, friends and I myself have experienced discrimination, violence and hate. That's not the result of being white/having white privilege. 

That's pale skinned Jews I'm talking about. That's only a fraction of the population. For pop culture examples, Drake and Daveed Diggs are both black American Jews. For more examples, check out this awesome compilation: http://popchassid.com/10-photos-to-remind-you-that-jews-dont-fit-into-a-stereotype-and-never-have/ 

I personally know Jews of many different colours, ethnicities, and (relatively recent) countries of origin. I'm totally happy to discuss this if you want to PM me.

Israeli names are veeerry unisex. And if they're not, people will pretend they are and give boys girls names and vice versa. It can get confusing. My favourite name is Shachar, because it can be male, female, first name, or surname. 

Bob can be Bobby/Roberta/Barbara I think.

Old King Cole was a merry old soul/a merry old soul was he. He turned on the light in the middle of the night to go to the WC.

This has been today's childhood song dredged up from Delightful's memory. 

Never mind hiding secrets, thats downright life-and-death dangerous!

Maybe she's hinting you should wash your sheets?

ZED ZED ZED ZED EX WHY ZEEEDDDDDDDDD. I'll see myself out now. :P 

Context: Lots of Americans think slavery is only a black issue but they don't bother to look at the whole picture and see the very noticeable presence of pale skinned people in there.

The Jew image I tend to conjure up is the Ashkenaz Jew which is pretty white to me. I know Jews come in many shades, but the Ashkenaz are the first to pop into my head when I think Jewish people.

The Israeli really wants to confuse people with that naming convention don't they?

I've never heard Bob being short for Barbara, only Barb. Also when I used Bob I wasn't doing the nickname version and was using the trope known as Alice and Bob.

Glad to bring you childhood joy ;)

Exactly! I'm surprised more people aren't getting into accidents.

Washing them after a couple weeks? What is the recommended bedding washing protocol? But in this instance it's more the way she just harps about it like she caught me reading a pron magazine back in the 80's.

I don't get the zed reference. You know, before I ever heard the British pronunciation of z the only Zed I knew of was Lord Zedd from Power Rangers.

35 minutes ago, Draginon said:

Washing them after a couple weeks? What is the recommended bedding washing protocol? But in this instance it's more the way she just harps about it like she caught me reading a pron magazine back in the 80's.

The recommended protocol is something along the lines of every other week

28 minutes ago, Draginon said:

Context: Lots of Americans think slavery is only a black issue but they don't bother to look at the whole picture and see the very noticeable presence of pale skinned people in there.

The Jew image I tend to conjure up is the Ashkenaz Jew which is pretty white to me. I know Jews come in many shades, but the Ashkenaz are the first to pop into my head when I think Jewish people.

The Israeli really wants to confuse people with that naming convention don't they?

I've never heard Bob being short for Barbara, only Barb. Also when I used Bob I wasn't doing the nickname version and was using the trope known as Alice and Bob.

Glad to bring you childhood joy ;)

Exactly! I'm surprised more people aren't getting into accidents.

I don't get the zed reference. You know, before I ever heard the British pronunciation of z the only Zed I knew of was Lord Zedd from Power Rangers.

Well, slavery as relevant to Americans in this century is a black issue. (Black people issue? Nomenclature!). We could also go into sex slavery but :l 

Ashkenazi*. The I is descriptive. I think Ashkenaz was somewhere in Germany, and Sfarad (like Sephardi) is Spain. And those are just the two most well known ancestry groups. :D 

And just to confuse things, the stereotype is that Ashkenazis are pale-skinned; in truth many are not. I also know a redhead Sephardi family, and a blue eyed blonde haired person who's grandparents are Yemenites. In short, stereotypes be silly and we are all weird and beautiful. 

Re bedding, yeah bout a couple weeks. Maybe more often if you eat in bed but I don't know anyone who does that :rolleyes:. I'd say that's ideal + laziness factor so....... :P  

Zed is how Aussies, and Brits I think, pronounce the letter 'Z'. I've been around Americans, Israelis, and a handful other nationalities for years now and zee still sounds funny to me. 

11 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

The recommended protocol is something along the lines of every other week

We tend to go once a month so it makes you wonder more why she complains over the obvious.

11 hours ago, Delightful said:

Well, slavery as relevant to Americans in this century is a black issue. (Black people issue? Nomenclature!). We could also go into sex slavery but :l 

Ashkenazi*. The I is descriptive. I think Ashkenaz was somewhere in Germany, and Sfarad (like Sephardi) is Spain. And those are just the two most well known ancestry groups. :D 

And just to confuse things, the stereotype is that Ashkenazis are pale-skinned; in truth many are not. I also know a redhead Sephardi family, and a blue eyed blonde haired person who's grandparents are Yemenites. In short, stereotypes be silly and we are all weird and beautiful. 

Re bedding, yeah bout a couple weeks. Maybe more often if you eat in bed but I don't know anyone who does that :rolleyes:. I'd say that's ideal + laziness factor so....... :P  

Zed is how Aussies, and Brits I think, pronounce the letter 'Z'. I've been around Americans, Israelis, and a handful other nationalities for years now and zee still sounds funny to me. 

Well the slavery thing hasn't been a real issue since the Civil War, back in 1865 or whenever it ended and it's only being an issue now because people are complaining about Confederate statues not mentioning slavery and that isn't mentioned because people complained about it being mentioned in the first place and the ones complaining are white college kids, so a bigger issue facing blacks is ingrained discrimination that needs to die.

I'm not an expert on the terminology, I had to look up how it was spelled tbh.

The stereotype I grew up hearing was that all Jews have big noses. The majority of media I've seen with positive Jewish portrayal I've seen was Rugrats, the Pickles family celebrated Chanukah instead of Christmas and the grandparents were German I believe, anything with Bob Saget, despite the fact he doesn't tend to play Jewish characters, and anything that told Anne Frank's story.

In this house it's done approximately once a month so she's complaining for no reason.

There are some British pronunciations that sound weird to me like gar-age.

Yeah Rugrats isn't super accurate but at least it's positive. I totally don't get the nose thing, but better than believing we all have horns or control the economy or whatever. Anti-Semitic tropes suck. :( 

I'm not an expert on the terminology, I had to look up how it was spelled tbh.

Thaz why I'm explaining, so you can get it right next time. :) 

One of my fave Jewish characters is Felicity Smoak of Arrow. 

Edited by Delightful

2 hours ago, Delightful said:

but better than believing we all have horns or control the economy or whatever. Anti-Semitic tropes suck. :( 

I think all those conspiracy theories about Jews controlling the economy comes from two things.

1. In the medieval ages basically only profession Jews were allowed to have was money lending (declared unclean) by the Catholic church and were barred from other jobs.

2. A good portion of the worlds banks are controlled by one family the Rothschild (who are Jewish). Although the respected Neil Ferguson points out:

As we have seen, however, wars tended to hit the price of existing bonds by increasing the risk that a debtor state would fail to meet its interest payments in the event of defeat and losses of territory. By the middle of the 19th century, the Rothschilds had evolved from traders into fund managers, carefully tending to their own vast portfolio of government bonds. Now having made their money, they stood to lose more than they gained from conflict. The Rothschilds had decided the outcome of the Napoleonic Wars by putting their financial weight behind Britain. Now they would sit on the sidelines.

Now, to be clear, I do not believe in Jewish conspiracy theories...I just think its interesting to see where ideas came from and how/why they change. I have never heard of the horn thing though for Jews...that is new for me. Ironically people of my own religion have been accused of having horns though.

Edited by Ammanas

20 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I think all those conspiracy theories about Jews controlling the economy comes from two things.

1. In the medieval ages basically only profession Jews were allowed to have was money lending (declared unclean) by the Catholic church and were barred from other jobs.

2. A good portion of the worlds banks are controlled by one family the Rothschild (who are Jewish). Although the respected Neil Ferguson points out:

As we have seen, however, wars tended to hit the price of existing bonds by increasing the risk that a debtor state would fail to meet its interest payments in the event of defeat and losses of territory. By the middle of the 19th century, the Rothschilds had evolved from traders into fund managers, carefully tending to their own vast portfolio of government bonds. Now having made their money, they stood to lose more than they gained from conflict. The Rothschilds had decided the outcome of the Napoleonic Wars by putting their financial weight behind Britain. Now they would sit on the sidelines.

Now, to be clear, I do not believe in Jewish conspiracy theories...I just think its interesting to see where ideas came from and how/why they change. I have never heard of the horn thing though for Jews...that is new for me. Ironically people of my own religion have been accused of having horns though.

There are a many people who believe that jews wear yarmulke's to cover the horns that we supposedly have. That idea actually came from a mistaken translation of the hebrew bible. The latin translation of the portion that deals with Moses descending Mount Sinai  with the second set of stone tablets mistranslated the word karnayim (beams) as keren which means horn. That led to Michelangelo's moses being depicted with two horns. That whole misconception took off from there. I do believe that at least on your first point you are absolutely correct as to where that idea may have developed. It should be noted that the czarist propaganda work the protocol's of the elders of zion lay out this idea in stomach sickening length. @Delightful your analysis is spot on and a pretty accurate depiction of things as they stand. 

Edited by Nathrangking

1. Anyone who thinks that radiation will instantly kill you or thinks that microwaves or phones are dangerous. I mean, come on! Our whole solar system is powered by a giant nuclear reactor (the sun) and you eat bananas that have potassium every day anyway. Some people are just way too paranoid.

2. Also, people who think vaccines cause Autism. Oh that is the worst! AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhHHHHHH!!!

7 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Is this... like, a common thing people throw at other religions a lot? :huh:

It's so much easier to depict people you don't understand as demons rather than trying to understand them. I'd say it its more of something that is believed and taught by people two generations above me. I have not heard people say such things that are below the age of say 50 years.

Edited by Ammanas

Just now, Ammanas said:

It's so much easier to depict people you don't understand as demons rather than trying to understand them. I'd say it its more of something that is believed and taught by people two generations above me I have not heard people say such things that are below the age of say 50 years.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. Unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Yeah, I can definitely see that. Unfortunately.

Oh and I don't know if this was clear or not, but its rare even for people of that generation to say and believe such things. I have only heard it myself maybe two times in my entire life.

Just now, Ammanas said:

Oh and I don't know if this was clear or not, but its rare even for people of that generation to say and believe such things. I have only heard it myself maybe two times in my entire life.

Same. Only one person I know (and they no longer believe so). But the fact that it's a thing to begin with? It baffles me.

11 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

There are a many people who believe that jews wear yarmulke's to cover the horns that we supposedly have. That idea actually came from a mistaken translation of the hebrew bible. The latin translation of the portion that deals with Moses descending Mount Sinai  with the second set of stone tablets mistranslated the word karnayim (beams) as keren which means horn. That led to Michelangelo's moses being depicted with two horns. That whole misconception took off from there. I do believe that at least on your first point you are absolutely correct as to where that idea may have developed. It should be noted that the czarist propaganda work the protocol's of the elders of zion lay out this idea in stomach sickening length. @Delightful your analysis is spot on and a pretty accurate depiction of things as they stand. 

Thanks! Chag Sameach! :) 

3 hours ago, Ammanas said:

It's so much easier to depict people you don't understand as demons rather than trying to understand them. I'd say it its more of something that is believed and taught by people two generations above me. I have not heard people say such things that are below the age of say 50 years.

If I may ask, what is your religion? I've only heard the horn thing in relation to Jews. 

13 hours ago, etatkaboom said:

2. Also, people who think vaccines cause Autism. Oh that is the worst! AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhHHHHHH!!!

This. I have a medical background, and the number of people who genuinely believe this despite;

-Numerous studies disproving a link between the MMR vaccine and autism

-Andrew Wakefield being found to have vested interest in the outcome of the trial

-Andrew Wakefield being STRUCK OFF and unable to practice medicine due to said misleading trial

-The Lancet retracting the study

Honestly, it's incredibly frustrating. To compromise herd immunity and the health of babies too young to get any vaccines because you believe mumsnet and Google over your own doctor...I have extremely little patience for these people now.

People who believe they know more than the professional. 

The professional is educated, and PAID to do their job. They know more than you. 

Occasionally, the professional is stupid. But generally, the stupid person just has a hyped up opinion of their own knowledge and understanding. 

19 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Roses are red

Darkness likes all the memes

He also knows more than all of you

Jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams.

Haven't thought about that in a while. To the deniers I ask this; If jet fuel can melt steel beams, then how does it not melt the internal components of a jet engine?