Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

4 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Yeah. I was just discussing this with my wife Friday night. The political parties here in the US campaign hard in the "purple" states, but it seems like they only really try to get enough of their side engaged to win by turn-out rather than find a position that would appeal to the majority of voters. 

Once elections are done, it's back to ignoring the middle and pushing their agenda. 

The divide keeps growing, at least visibly, with the extremes getting more and more involved, and the middle being further and further excluded. 

It's setting up for a philosophical civil war for the identity of the nation, while the vast majority of the nation is either intentionally excluded for their unwillingness to embrace every aspect of either sides agenda, or disenfranchised to the point of complete uninvolvement. 

It's ludicrous and destructive. 

I've got some quotes that I think might apply pretty well

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think."

Just now, Silverblade5 said:

I've got some quotes that I think might apply pretty well

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think."

I was trying to avoid saying anything about my opinions concerning the average Americans intelligence, because I didn't want to insult anyone, but I worked phone based customer service for about 5 years, so I don't think I need to elaborate more. 

@Calderis - it's tragic, and I'm not even talking the USA, this is Canadian politics :( 
What will we have to feel good about our politics if they're not not-as-bad as yours!!? ;)

And no, it wasn't being directly operated by a politician, it is a 'Justin Trudeau Not' page. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

Yeah. I was just discussing this with my wife Friday night. The political parties here in the US campaign hard in the "purple" states, but it seems like they only really try to get enough of their side engaged to win by turn-out rather than find a position that would appeal to the majority of voters. 

Once elections are done, it's back to ignoring the middle and pushing their agenda. 

The divide keeps growing, at least visibly, with the extremes getting more and more involved, and the middle being further and further excluded. 

It's setting up for a philosophical civil war for the identity of the nation, while the vast majority of the nation is either intentionally excluded for their unwillingness to embrace every aspect of either sides agenda, or disenfranchised to the point of complete uninvolvement. 

It's ludicrous and destructive. 

Id rather avoid such a controversial topic, but my opinion is thus: the ideal America is what I believe in. This, is not an ideal America. By any standards. 

1 hour ago, Erunion said:

@Calderis - it's tragic, and I'm not even talking the USA, this is Canadian politics :( 
What will we have to feel good about our politics if they're not not-as-bad as yours!!? ;)

And no, it wasn't being directly operated by a politician, it is a 'Justin Trudeau Not' page. 

I read your whole post and realized that, I was just commenting on what I know, and I don't know Canadian politics at all. I know British politics better than yours. 

My main issue is a pet peeve that I think transcends nationality though.

People comfortable in and proud of their own ignorance. 

One of the best things I ever did, after years of working in politics, was disengaging from politics. It sucks in every country. Sure, that may be shamefully avoiding my civic responsibilities, but I sure am more chill as a result. 

The greatest trick Extesian ever pulled was convincing himself politics doesn't exist. 

1 hour ago, Extesian said:

One of the best things I ever did, after years of working in politics, was disengaging from politics. It sucks in every country. Sure, that may be shamefully avoiding my civic responsibilities, but I sure am more chill as a result. 

The greatest trick Extesian ever pulled was convincing himself politics doesn't exist. 

Hah! Probably wise :) 
Sadly I am coming to a point in my life where my drive to better the world is overcoming my better judgement and my drive for personal peace - c'est la vie. So here I find myself hip deep in crem. 

@Erunion being an Australian who is fail young and doesn't pay too much attention to politics sometimes,  I can't comment on that exact example, but what I can say is that all of that sounds like a very solid but calm argument,  without exclamations or insults. To have your comment deleted because,  most likely,  someone didn't agree with you is horrible.

• 2 weeks later...

So, there was a trailer for film "Bright" with Will Smith. It's urban fantasy, seems like buddy cop movie (Will's character's partner is an orc, I think) and stuff.

And people over internet are going like "Stolen from Shadowrun".

DO YOU EVEN FANTASY? NO? THEN PLEASE DON'T TALK ABOUT THINGS YOU HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT! THANK YOU!

On 05/06/2017 at 6:16 AM, A Budgie said:

It also means that if I'm having a conversation with someone over the internet, it's less important, and you can leave it instantly. It's a conversation? And as for less important, I have an internet-friend who is in turn close friends via internet with someone who is depressed and at times suicidal. But if something needs to be done in real life, it doesn't matter what the conversation is. It's annoying...

Or you're texting someone and someone IRL just comes up to you and starts talking and expects you to just drop the phone conversation for them. 

On 30/06/2017 at 4:26 AM, Mistrunner said:

Getting to know you games. Specifically, "let's all say our names and an adjective that starts with the same letter!!!!!!!" Do you know how many adjectives start with E? I am neither excited nor energetic. I've tried 'enigmatic' but nobody knew what that meant. I'm not exactly eccentric, and I'm definitely not extraverted. I'm left panicking in a circle of Happy Hannahs and Kind Kaylas as I desperately search for a vaguely applicable adjective that people will know the definition of.

My favourite version of the game is "your name and something you're interested in". [disclaimer I invented this version]. No awkward associations, you can say anything from 'I like food' to 'I love the deconstruction of the manic pixie trope in modern urban fantasy'. However much you want to reveal and whatever level you want to geek out at. Everyone's a passionate geek about *something*

On 10/07/2017 at 8:36 AM, A Budgie said:

@Erunion being an Australian who is fail young and doesn't pay too much attention to politics sometimes,  I can't comment on that exact example, but what I can say is that all of that sounds like a very solid but calm argument,  without exclamations or insults. To have your comment deleted because,  most likely,  someone didn't agree with you is horrible.

Also, Aussie politics is pretty......non critical?

this weeks pet peeve: Dehydration. My head hurts. Again. 

One of my pet peeves is when something that most people don't really have is needed for something places want you to use. The Walmart in my town is installing a scan & go but that requires having their app first. You know what they removed to install this? The books!!! 

38 minutes ago, officiumdefunctorum said:

People honking their horns incessantly to get someone to come out of a house. Like, we live in the age of cell phones and doorbells. Get out of your damnation car if you're so impatient.

I got one worse. When me or my mom are trying to pull into the driveway and there's cars coming the other way preventing us from getting in, cats behind us will start laying on the horn like we're stopped for no reason. Sometimes they'll try going around us to the right, even when there's no room to do that.

1 hour ago, Draginon said:

I got one worse. When me or my mom are trying to pull into the driveway and there's cars coming the other way preventing us from getting in, cats behind us will start laying on the horn like we're stopped for no reason. Sometimes they'll try going around us to the right, even when there's no room to do that.

I only do this when there's a streetside parker blocking my driveway.

8 hours ago, Slowswift said:

A good many wearables that one purchases online (not counting sites like Amazon) only go up to a size 2XL.

I am a 3XL. This is frustrating. I want my Hufflepuff hoodie storms take you

You wouldn't enjoy shopping in Poland I guess, we usually don't even have 2XL.