Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

When older folks assume that all teenagers sound like idiots in their messages.

For example, this was used to compare different kinds of diction in my English course:

Spoiler

diction.png.d776cc693755c3170f64f4cb1ddd4c52.png

Do they really not realize that the only people who type like that are adults who are trying way too hard to sound cool? I mean, there are abbreviations and emojis used, but not to that extent.

Also it annoys me when teenagers are called millennials. Millennials are people in their mid-twenty's to mid-thirty's. Teenagers as of now are part of generation Z.

41 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

Also it annoys me when teenagers are called millennials. Millennials are people in their mid-twenty's to mid-thirty's. Teenagers as of now are part of generation Z.

Twenty years from now, some people will still call teenagers millennials :P some people probably don't know the etymology of the word millenials.

Honestly, I'd always thought "Millennial" referred to anyone born around the turn of the, well, millennium. :huh:

Did some Googling, and apparently the cutoff dates for Millennials/Gen Z are still very vague and undefined, with several different potentials given.

Edited by Slowswift

52 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

When older folks assume that all teenagers sound like idiots in their messages.

For example, this was used to compare different kinds of diction in my English course:

Reveal hidden contents

diction.png.d776cc693755c3170f64f4cb1ddd4c52.png

Do they really not realize that the only people who type like that are adults who are trying way too hard to sound cool? I mean, there are abbreviations and emojis used, but not to that extent.

See, I've always figured that the cut off date for a millennial was 2000. I mean, why put millennial in the name if it doesn't actually bump against the thousand year mark? In which case, since I was born in 1999, I should still count as one of the youngest millennials and not a Z. There isn't really a consistent definition for the age range, so I tend to stick with my definition. I've seen some put the cut off as early as '94 and one as late as 2004, so I'm happy with mine. 

Facebook and its constant need to futz around with functions that worked perfectly well, but now are crappier/more cluttered/less efficient all in the name of squeezing out just a few more cents of ad revenue.

3 hours ago, The Honor Spren said:

Hide contents

You'll go through different names before one is settled on. I was Generation Y, then the Pepsi generation and now, I'm on the older side of millennial. 

At least the term Pepsi Generation is no longer a thing *shudder*

@The Honor Spren ugh, that is definitely annoying. A lot of the time, I use emojis simply to be ironic or amusing...and while I use abbreviations I've never seen anyone actually use them like that...
Also, if they felt the need to tell you not to write like that in an English course, I would find that kinda insulting...

On 20/05/2017 at 2:17 AM, A Budgie said:

@The Honor Spren ugh, that is definitely annoying. A lot of the time, I use emojis simply to be ironic or amusing...and while I use abbreviations I've never seen anyone actually use them like that...
Also, if they felt the need to tell you not to write like that in an English course, I would find that kinda insulting...

We spoke like that in the days of MSN Messenger.....thank god those days are over. 

Drivers who don't understand right-of-way. I almost got into an accident a bit ago because a lady tried to turn onto a street that I had been waiting to turn onto for quite a while. Last I checked, right-of-way in those cases states that the person who's been there longer has priority (working similarly to a four-way stop). She had the gall to lay on her horn and then flip me off. I almost wish she'd hit me just so when the cops got there and gave her a ticket and her insurance premiums went up when her insurance company had to pay for the damages to my car, she'd understand that she was wrong. Alas, that would've made me late to work.

When people insist on trying to tell you a long set of directions to somewhere when it would be ten times easier to just use Google Maps if they would give you the storming street address!

Maybe that's a pet peeve caused by my profession, but an opening bracket "(" that isn't paired with a closing bracket ")"  inside a text can drastically change my reception of given text. If hurts my soul when the brackets aren't properly paired. 

58 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Maybe that's a pet peeve caused by my profession, but an opening bracket "(" that isn't paired with a closing bracket ")"  inside a text can drastically change my reception of given text. If hurts my soul when the brackets aren't properly paired. 

Yeah, I know what you mean (that's a thing IT people have, along with counting from zero (although I had that bracket thing even before programming, just from math).

2 hours ago, Mestiv said:

It annoys me too. Oh, and when there's no corresponding " as well (mental blank, can't remember what they're called).

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Yeah, I know what you mean (that's a thing IT people have, along with counting from zero (although I had that bracket thing even before programming, just from math).

47 minutes ago, Extesian said:

It's (the worst" :(

5928d18f5fb65_ISeeWhatYouDidThereSauron.jpg.e7213bfd6cf9d889ad0d41f8eec207ab.jpg

Ugh. You're right @Mestiv - unmatched parentheses make me twitch. 

Thats how you ruin code! That's how you mess up equations! And that's how you render your paragraph impossible to comprehend! 

@A Budgie - quotation marks are what they are called - "I think, therefore I am" sure. (Descartes) 

(woefully misapplied quote above). 

1 minute ago, Erunion said:

quotation marks are what they are called - "I think, therefore I am" sure. (Descartes) 

(woefully misapplied quote above). 

Thank you.
It's a good thing there's no grammer componant to my english exam.

• 2 weeks later...

The notion that stuff online isn't "real" and that friends online aren't "real friends ". You people have helped me through some tough times over the last three years, and I like to think I've done the same. We've laughed and cried together, shared triumphs and failures with each other. With the exception of tone and body language, how could something be any more real than that?

1 hour ago, Silverblade5 said:

The notion that stuff online isn't "real" and that friends online aren't "real friends ". You people have helped me through some tough times over the last three years, and I like to think I've done the same. We've laughed and cried together, shared triumphs and failures with each other. With the exception of tone and body language, how could something be any more real than that?

It also means that if I'm having a conversation with someone over the internet, it's less important, and you can leave it instantly. It's a conversation? And as for less important, I have an internet-friend who is in turn close friends via internet with someone who is depressed and at times suicidal. But if something needs to be done in real life, it doesn't matter what the conversation is. It's annoying...

• 3 weeks later...