Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

RE: Eragon

Pretty much what most people have said applies to me. Eragon was the first true fantasy book I ever read and one of the only ones (I still haven't got around to Mistborn yet). It just blew my mind with how good it was. Of course, I was in 6th grade I think, so I was pretty young. I hated the ending, but at the same time I absolutely loved everything about the book. My mind literally exploded after I finished Inheritance, and I think I remember crying a little too. I didn't even realize, until I first saw these posts talking about it, that it had ripped off other fantasy works. That had never been an idea to me. The world just seemed so fresh and vivid. And I freaking loved dragons (and still do), so that helped.

I'm just glad this community is so civil and this hasn't devolved into a fight about if the book's good or not. That's what I love about this place.

1 hour ago, StrikerEZ said:

I'm just glad this community is so civil and this hasn't devolved into a fight about if the book's good or not. That's what I love about this place.

Yeah, one of my friends saw this place and was really surprised we were so eloquent. I was scrolling past when we were disccussing whether Frodo/Sam from LOTR was real or not, and she was surprised there were no posts along the theme of shouting 'I ship it' loudly. It seems to be disscussions rather than fights. And we actually use punctuation.

Ugh. Mobile always has seizures when I try to quote someone. What I was trying to say is, lots of people including me pronounce a word wrong because they've only read it in books and never heard the word aloud. Names can be especially irksome in that regard. So keep that in mind. I don't mind being corrected on stuff like that as long as the person doing the correcting is nice about it, and I have a feeling that your friend who says "pie-row" would probably have a similar reaction if you guys are friends and you do it politely.

One of my own pet peeves is people walking side by side down a hallway at the sloooowest possible speed, taking up the hall's entire width so they're blocking everyone who actually has somewhere to be.

Edited by Sunbird

3 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

Ugh. Mobile always has seizures when I try to quote someone. What I was trying to say is, lots of people including me pronounce a word wrong because they've only read it in books and never heard the word aloud. Names can be especially irksome in that regard. So keep that in mind. I don't mind being corrected on stuff like that as long as the person doing the correcting is nice about it, and I have a feeling that your friend who says "pie-row" would probably have a similar reaction if you guys are friends and you do it politely.

Oh, I don't mean reading stuff. I get annoyed at my friend who pronounces Poirot wrong because I've told her so many times its incorrect and she still pronounces it like that just to annoy me.

36 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

One of my own pet peeves is people walking side by side down a hallway at the sloooowest possible speed, taking up the hall's entire width so they're blocking everyone who actually has somewhere to be.

Yeah, when it comes to crowded halls, I generally operate by a move or be moved policy.

29 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

Oh, I don't mean reading stuff. I get annoyed at my friend who pronounces Poirot wrong because I've told her so many times its incorrect and she still pronounces it like that just to annoy me.

This sounds so much like my little brother. He pronounces "height" as "heighth" (height-th). Like how you pronounce width. He does it all the time, and with tons of other words too. I think by now he does it to annoy me, but at first he genuinely pronounced them that way. 

38 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

This so much. I'm a really fast walker, even for my pretty short legs (or they're short in comparison to most people at my school, even though I'm almost 5'5"), so I hate getting stuck behind people. I just don't see the point in walking slowly. I like to get where I'm going faster so I can then relax there.

8 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

This so much. I'm a really fast walker, even for my pretty short legs (or they're short in comparison to most people at my school, even though I'm almost 5'5"), so I hate getting stuck behind people. I just don't see the point in walking slowly. I like to get where I'm going faster so I can then relax there.

Same, apart from having short legs. I walk fast.

I absolutely hate it when people make the simplest of errors in speech like the double negative, or John and I, not me and john.

9 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

This IS SO TRUE (and I have pretty long legs) and I'm really impatient when it comes to interruptions to a good continuous walk.

22 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Whatever city traffic controller keeps deciding to give the east-west lanes at a crucial intersection three or four extra turns while the north-south lanes risk being late to work should be fired. Yesterday. :angry:

They took out an entire lane downtown to put in "bike lanes" which upsets me because no one rides bikes downtown, and even if they did, they'd stay on the sidewalk.

Edited by bleeder

11 hours ago, Quiver said:

Pet peeve:

I hate the way ny brain starts worrying when I post things that I'm being whiny or pretentious or killing topics. 

Hey, hey. You are not whiny and pretentious. What makes us human is the ability to reach out to others and empathise with others. Your life is hard quiver, and you have every right to complain. Screw what your brain thinks, it's just soft nervous tissue contained in the skull of vertebrates that enjoys torturing us.

21 hours ago, bleeder said:

They took out an entire lane downtown to put in "bike lanes" which upsets me because no one rides bikes downtown, and even if they did, they'd stay on the pavement.

OK, I can't tell if you're using the British or American version of "pavement" as they basically mean the exact opposite of each other.  In the UK, pavement = sidewalk.  In the US, pavement = road.

In most municipalities, bicycles are treated as vehicles under the law, and are not permitted on sidewalks (except when that sidewalk is a section of a designated hike and bike trail).  Creating a bike lane may be a way for the city to try to encourage more bicycle traffic in order to reduce car congestion.

11 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

OK, I can't tell if you're using the British or American version of "pavement" as they basically mean the exact opposite of each other.  In the UK, pavement = sidewalk.  In the US, pavement = road.

In most municipalities, bicycles are treated as vehicles under the law, and are not permitted on sidewalks (except when that sidewalk is a section of a designated hike and bike trail).  Creating a bike lane may be a way for the city to try to encourage more bicycle traffic in order to reduce car congestion.

Sidewalk, that's the one. I forgot how to American for a bit. Fixed.

2 hours ago, bleeder said:

Sidewalk, that's the one. I forgot how to American for a bit. Fixed.

Right.  In which case, riding your bike on it is illegal in most places, as well as extremely dangerous to pedestrians.

Which brings me to MY pet peeve -

Cyclists on the hike and bike trails who don't do pass callouts.  There were, like, three times on Saturday where a faster cyclist zipped by me without a word, startling me.  Hey!  You!  It's not that hard to call, "On your left!" a few seconds before you pass!  I did it dozens of times!  It won't kill you, I promise, but pretending to be a ninja on a bicycle might actually cause an accident.

4 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Which brings me to MY pet peeve -

Cyclists on the hike and bike trails who don't do pass callouts.  There were, like, three times on Saturday where a faster cyclist zipped by me without a word, startling me.  Hey!  You!  It's not that hard to call, "On your left!" a few seconds before you pass!  I did it dozens of times!  It won't kill you, I promise, but pretending to be a ninja on a bicycle might actually cause an accident.

Ah! I hate this one too.

1 hour ago, Slowswift said:

Well, guess who's never going to bike again out of social anxiety? :P :mellow: 

Oh, don't worry. I quite like riding a bike myself, and it's totally fine as long as you follow the rules.

Oh, and another peeve: people not using their indicators when turning. I don't even drive and I hate it. I crossed a road once when I thought a car wasn't turning because it didn't indicate, and it beeped at me. I felt like shouting at it.