Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

The best I have ever heard, was, by a doctor, while I was doing Wilderness First Aid certification, was to put uncooked bacon on the nosebleed. That advice is both hilarious and impractical on so many levels.

Indeed it is.

-West Virginian "Mountains"

Sorry, guys. I've seen mountains.

Actually, I live on a hill about as tall as some of those "mountains".

-This meme right here: 

1931511_10153797989267485_79006142591958

First of all, it is such a false analogy. Leading a charge in any sort of war has nothing whatsoever to do with being hurt by words. It's fully possible that some, if not many, of those soldiers being lauded as the "good" generation were hurt by words earlier or later on, given that they'd been through a freaking war and could be triggered by certain phrases or any number of things. Does that make them any less brave? Heck. No. 

Second, this meme immediately discredits anyone who confronts another person on something they said. What was said doesn't matter one whit. It's their fault for being hurt by something as silly as words, not your fault for being an insensitive jackchull. 

Finally, and I think this is what launches it into pet peeve territory, is the fact that I only ever see this meme on the newsfeeds of people like my dad, who will say incredibly hurtful things to others and, when confronted on it, respond with "Oh, waaaahhh. Grow up." This meme doesn't laud the Greatest Generation for their sacrifice or rebuke millennials so much as it gives insensitive jackchulls license to never change. 

-This meme right here:

First of all, it is such a false analogy. Leading a charge in any sort of war has nothing whatsoever to do with being hurt by words. It's fully possible that some, if not many, of those soldiers being lauded as the "good" generation were hurt by words earlier or later on, given that they'd been through a freaking war and could be triggered by certain phrases or any number of things. Does that make them any less brave? Heck. No.

Second, this meme immediately discredits anyone who confronts another person on something they said. What was said doesn't matter one whit. It's their fault for being hurt by something as silly as words, not your fault for being an insensitive jackchull.

Finally, and I think this is what launches it into pet peeve territory, is the fact that I only ever see this meme on the newsfeeds of people like my dad, who will say incredibly hurtful things to others and, when confronted on it, respond with "Oh, waaaahhh. Grow up." This meme doesn't laud the Greatest Generation for their sacrifice or rebuke millennials so much as it gives insensitive jackchulls license to never change.

Wow. I've never wanted to physically punch an image before. Which is ironic.

How about 2015: 18 year olds are incredibly brave and still go to war, but now we're decent human beings and recognise that psychology exists?

It's like "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Who the storms came up with that one?!

On the other side of the issue we have people who seem to look for things to be offended by, you need to dance around topics because if you dont someone will get hurt and that is frustrating.

Now I was bullied for 6 years (And possibly a bit before that if you count teachers trying to make me 'fit in'), so my knee jerk reaction to people being "offended" is "If I could handle it for 6 years why are you throwing a hissy fit over this?"

I dont think the offended party is always in the right, sometimes they are making a big deal over nothing, sometimes people are saying stupid things and handwaving it as nothing, and sometimes it was a joke, sometimes it was a piece of criticism that came out wrong, sometimes the offended person cant handle criticism and it wasnt the offending partys fault at all.

The thing about words is that they only hurt if you let them, while sticks and stones hurt anyway. Not that it is always easy to deal with hard words, I would know, you end up building walls and other ways of defending yourself, but in the end words only hurt you if you let them, and you dont need to.

I dont know, it is not all black and white. I realize that rant led nowhere. Have a nice day everyone.

I disagree.

If someone is sheltered and the smallest insult hurts them, yes maybe they need to grow up some but that can be more painful for them than someone who's built up defences, even though the more defended person has been through more pain long term.

And yes, words don't hurt if you don't let them hurt. But not letting them hurt is ridiculously hard and I wouldn't expect that from anyone. And even then I think they hurt on some level underneath all the defences.

From my own experience, I've regrettably stumbled across a ton of antisemitic crem dung on the Internet. I can laugh at trolls and build all the defences I like but when I glance at a YouTube comment and it says "Jews are demon murderers and deserve to die", (or worse which I won't repeat), yeah I have plenty defences, I've seen a lot of it, and I'm not scared of the trolls. It still hurts. it can make me feel physically sick. It's all "just" words.

On a side note, words can also incite to violence, change people's minds or moods, spark revolutions.......words are powerful.

Edited by Delightful

-This meme right here:

First of all, it is such a false analogy. Leading a charge in any sort of war has nothing whatsoever to do with being hurt by words. It's fully possible that some, if not many, of those soldiers being lauded as the "good" generation were hurt by words earlier or later on, given that they'd been through a freaking war and could be triggered by certain phrases or any number of things. Does that make them any less brave? Heck. No.

Second, this meme immediately discredits anyone who confronts another person on something they said. What was said doesn't matter one whit. It's their fault for being hurt by something as silly as words, not your fault for being an insensitive jackchull.

Finally, and I think this is what launches it into pet peeve territory, is the fact that I only ever see this meme on the newsfeeds of people like my dad, who will say incredibly hurtful things to others and, when confronted on it, respond with "Oh, waaaahhh. Grow up." This meme doesn't laud the Greatest Generation for their sacrifice or rebuke millennials so much as it gives insensitive jackchulls license to never change.

There's a lot wrong with that meme...including ignoring that several eighteen year olds fought for Nazis and other such inconvenient facts.

And it is a false analogy. Many WWII soldiers were drafted...in my generation, all the soldiers volunteered, so...you know, get off your high horse, stupid meme!

There's a lot wrong with that meme...including ignoring that several eighteen year olds fought for Nazis and other such inconvenient facts.

And it is a false analogy. Many WWII soldiers were drafted...in my generation, all the soldiers volunteered, so...you know, get off your high horse, stupid meme!

Get off your high horse and climb into the trenches? :ph34r:

Twi it just occurred to me that it's particularly ironic that your Dad posted that, when you parents are practically the thought police and you can't say anything to contradict them. If words have no power, they shouldn't care what you say.

Get off your high horse and climb into the trenches? :ph34r:

Twi it just occurred to me that it's particularly ironic that your Dad posted that, when you parents are practically the thought police and you can't say anything to contradict them. If words have no power, they shouldn't care what you say.

I like it. :ph34r:

It really is. They'll ignore me if they don't feel like listening, but my dad pitches a fit if people don't respond to him. When I was younger, my mom watched a soap opera called Days of Our Lives; she saw nothing wrong with mocking the cartoons my siblings and I liked, but would fly into a rage if we said anything vaguely critical of her show.

The answer

If anyone notices any similarities between the individuals in their lives (parents, bosses, friends, etc.) and that song, (appearance aside) get out of the situation ASAP, or do everything you can to change it if that is not an option. Tell someone about it, at the absolute minimum.