Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

I'll start us off with my list:

-When you sign up for a website and the awesome username you've spent an hour thinking of is taken (Glares pointedly at Mistrunner)

-Gluttony

-People who deny climate change is real/ think that it has nothing to do with us

-People who blame their mistakes on other people (This is really difficult in sports)

-Arrogant people who claim they're good at everything, then make up poor excuses when they fail

-When people copy or take credit for stuff you've worked really hard on

- The bossy person who thinks they're good at everything (but they actually know nothing) who tells you what to do (most of the time they're wrong)

-Movie commentators!

-People who make a big deal out of nothing for attention 

-Using "me" and "I" incorrectly (Him and me were...) 

-Wasters!

-The "bumper" in team sports (The person who just stands there and doesn't try even if the ball goes right into their hands)!

Edit: Also that clueless sub who has no idea what they're doing, so they rant for the entire class period about their et cat or something when there's a huge essay due tomorrow!

-And that one person who's always complaining about other people! ... :huh: Why... are you all looking at me?

Anyway, that's my very extensive list. I'm looking forward to seeing some of yours!

Edited by Sarcasm

-People who deny climate change is real/ think that it has nothing to do with us

My pet peeve: people who deny that climate change is anything but the after-effects but the invasion of the winged cyber-dolphins who even now have all the leaders of the planet clutched in their nefarious fins.

THE SIGNS ARE THERE. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

More seriously, I hate it when people mock idealistic works of fiction like the Superman mythos and My Little Pony, and say that everyone should enjoy gritter works like Game of Thrones and Warhammer 40k. I respect people who prefer darker material than I do, but I wish those same people would respect those who'd rather concentrate on the sunnier things in life.

Edited by Kobold King

I'll start us off with my list:

-When you sign up for a website and the awesome username you've spent an hour thinking of is taken (Glares pointedly at Mistrunner)

-Gluttony

Sorry... *looks down in shame*

As to gluttony: *eats brownie, then looks down in shame... again*

A pet peeve of mine:

People using "everyday" incorrectly.

everyday means ordinary or unsurprising-as in Stacey eating all the hot wings was an everyday occurrence; while every day means... every day- I have chicken for lunch every day.

I think this will be most efficient if I divide it up in to categories. 

​Customers who….

• Act like buying something at a store makes them the legal owner of that store and everyone in it 
  • Treat the person behind the counter like a personal servant 
  • Publicly berate the person behind the counter for a small mistake, or for something beyond their control ("What do you mean, you're out of blue slippers?!") 
  • Demand to speak to a manager for the smallest reason ("I'm sorry, ma'am, the computer isn't accepting your coupon." "I want to see your manager.") 
  • Act as though "I'm sorry, I can't do that" is a personal affront 
  • Toss their name around like a royal title 
  • Chat when there's a line behind them 
  • Demand to see the manager when there's a line behind them 
  • Basically stall when there's a line 
  • Act like a five-minute delay is a punishment for some imaginary crime
  • Complain to me about a mistake someone else made (for the last time, THE RECEPTIONIST CAN SOLVE NO PROBLEMS WITH YOUR VEHICLE, COMPLAIN TO SOMEONE WHO CAN ACTUALLY HELP YOU)

​People who…..

• Smack their lips on food or *shudder* hard candy
  • Ask me why I don't have a boyfriend 
  • Go 10 miles below the speed limit and refuse to let others pass them 
  • Turn up their noses at fantasy or whimsy in general 
  • Assume that men are more competent than women 
  • Act like their interpretation of something is the only valid one
  • Use their tongues to clean food out of their teeth. STOP IT MOM THAT IS SO DISGUSTING I HAVE LOST MY APPETITE AND HAVE TO GO UPSTAIRS NOW
Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

I think this will be most efficient if I divide it up in to categories. 

​Customers who….

• Act like buying something at a store makes them the legal owner of that store and everyone in it 
  • Treat the person behind the counter like a personal servant 
  • Publicly berate the person behind the counter for a small mistake, or for something beyond their control ("What do you mean, you're out of blue slippers?!") 
  • Demand to speak to a manager for the smallest reason ("I'm sorry, ma'am, the computer isn't accepting your coupon." "I want to see your manager.") 
  • Act as though "I'm sorry, I can't do that" is a personal affront 
  • Toss their name around like a royal title 
  • Chat when there's a line behind them 
  • Demand to see the manager when there's a line behind them 
  • Basically stall when there's a line 
  • Act like a five-minute delay is a punishment for some imaginary crime
  • Complain to me about a mistake someone else made (for the last time, THE RECEPTIONIST CAN SOLVE NO PROBLEMS WITH YOUR VEHICLE, COMPLAIN TO SOMEONE WHO CAN ACTUALLY HELP YOU)

​People who…..

• Smack their lips on food or *shudder* hard candy
  • Ask me why I don't have a boyfriend 
  • Go 10 miles below the speed limit and refuse to let others pass them 
  • Turn up their noses at fantasy or whimsy in general 
  • Assume that men are more competent than women 
  • Act like their interpretation of something is the only valid one
  • Use their tongues to clean food out of their teeth. STOP IT MOM THAT IS SO DISGUSTING I HAVE LOST MY APPETITE AND HAVE TO GO UPSTAIRS NOW

Hey Twi, why don't you have--

* beat *

--a spritzer bottle to use on people who ask you why you don't have a boyfriend?

Or really, just a spritzer bottle in general. It sounds like you come into contact with a lot of highly spritzable people.

-People who think climate change is solely or even primarily caused by humans (see the global cooling scare of earlier years). Sorry, I just...do not like this at all. :P This is the most agressive and contrary i will be. :PAnd don't worry, I'm not a climate-change denier.

watches-you.gif

When people call my phone but do not leave a voicemail

YES. Especially when you're the kind of person who freezes in terror at an unfamiliar number, leaving it to go to voicemail... unless it doesn't. <_<

For me, it, thoroughly annoys me when people start doing Christmasy things... before Thanksgiving. REALLY, PEOPLE.

For me, it, thoroughly annoys me when people start doing Christmasy things... before Thanksgiving. REALLY, PEOPLE.

You'd hate working at one of the big department stores (Macy's, JC Penney, Sears, etc.). At the beginning of November, they put up a few decorations and switched their music to their holiday mix. I worked at Penney's two years ago, and those two months between Halloween and New Year's were torture. The holiday soundtrack was the same 25 songs, again and again and again, all of which fell into one of these categories: 

"Let It Snow" covers 

"Last Christmas" covers 

"Baby It's Cold Outside" covers

Bizarre Indian-influenced techno remixes of the previous three songs

"Poor Little Rich Boys" 

Thinly veiled materialistic ballads ("Have a Yule That's Cool," etc.) 

Creepy "I Have a Crush on Santa" songs 

"It's Christmastime and I'm in WUV!" songs 

I went into Penney's the other day in search of jeans. They hadn't changed their soundtrack….and I felt myself growing anxious and agitated. I kept flashing back to customer after angry customer, people refusing to get in line because they'd been waiting for five whole minutes to be helped (which won't happen if you're not standing in line….really) and….*shudder* Black Friday.

I'll only work retail again under desperate circumstances. 

You'd hate working at one of the big department stores (Macy's, JC Penney, Sears, etc.). At the beginning of November, they put up a few decorations and switched their music to their holiday mix. I worked at Penney's two years ago, and those two months between Halloween and New Year's were torture. The holiday soundtrack was the same 25 songs, again and again and again, all of which fell into one of these categories: 

"Let It Snow" covers 

"Last Christmas" covers 

"Baby It's Cold Outside" covers

Bizarre Indian-influenced techno remixes of the previous three songs

"Poor Little Rich Boys" 

Thinly veiled materialistic ballads ("Have a Yule That's Cool," etc.) 

Creepy "I Have a Crush on Santa" songs 

"It's Christmastime and I'm in WUV!" songs 

I went into Penney's the other day in search of jeans. They hadn't changed their soundtrack….and I felt myself growing anxious and agitated. I kept flashing back to customer after angry customer, people refusing to get in line because they'd been waiting for five whole minutes to be helped (which won't happen if you're not standing in line….really) and….*shudder* Black Friday.

I'll only work retail again under desperate circumstances. 

I'd only work retail if God Himself showed up and told me to. <_<

When someone ignores my opinion because I'm not an adult. Yes, I'm sixteen, no that doesn't mean that every decision I make is predicated on hormonal whimsy. I plan out conversations beforehand on occasion. I am a highly rational person. So please, just listen to what I have to say. You don't need to agree with me, but you can at the least understand that I have a right to be listened to.

Also, bright light, loud or high-pitched noises, people that I don't know patting me on the back.

• 4 weeks later...

-People who think climate change is solely or even primarily caused by humans (see the global cooling scare of earlier years). Sorry, I just...do not like this at all. :P This is the most agressive and contrary i will be. :P And don't worry, I'm not a climate-change denier.

A huge (not pet) peeve of mine: 

- People who think that climate change is not primarily caused by humans because of the global cooling scarce, even though they know nothing about it. Seriously, just because earlier scientists thought that Earth is a centre of Universe, doesn't mean that they are wrong now, when they say it isn't... It's the same situation, omg. And additinally there was a reason why scientists thought there might be global cooling. However that wasn't even what all scientists thought, it was just a couple of them saying that global cooling might happen, and the rest thought it's wrong. And then obvioulsy the media picked it up, because media love to do stuff like that, and that's where all the global cooling scarce came from. OMG. 

There is this awesome lecture (by my favourite lecturer, the guy is awesome, he always puts Daleks in his plant science lectures xD) about critical thinking when it comes to global climate change etc. I'm going to post it everywhere if I must, global cooling scarce is also explained there.

It such a huge pet peeve of mine. I generally can't stand people neglecting human impact on climate change, especially if they repeat arguments that are wrong. Sorry, sorry. I don't mean to offend. I just can't stop myself. 

My other pet peeves:

- People that say evolution isn't real and that it's just a government propagada to brainwash us.  

- People that say theory of evolution is just a theory (when they clearly don't understand what term "Scientific theory" actually means.)

- People that say that mass extinction is not happening and is not cause by humans, because "extinction is a natural process", while totally forgetting to check what is the natural rate of extinction...

- People that do cherry picking of evidence for the sake of argument. 

- People that talk about stuff they know nothing about, but they insist they know everything. (That probably includes me. What a hypocrite I am, buhuuu. :( )

- People that say "this must be right, because this or that guy said so". 

- People that offend my voice, because apparently it's high pitched and annoying. And yes, this group includes my parents. 

- People that tell me to stop talking.

- When I write about my pet peeves and my dinner gets burned in the meantime. *checks* Oh, wait, no. My dinner is fine. 

- People saying "You smile too much" as a joke that is apparently supposed to be funny. 

- When my flatmate is in the flat. 

- People talking in the library.

- People making notes in a way too noisy manner in the library. 

- When I write about my pet peeves instead of studying. So I should probably finish here. 

Edited by Pestis the Spider

So.....I'm unconvinced either way about climate change. Just saying. :ph34r:

Same here. :ph34r: I think we humans should take care of our planet, and it's clear that some of our actions have had an adverse effect on the environment, but at the same time, there's a lot we don't know. This doesn't give us license to treat the planet like a giant trash can; if anything, I think it means we should be even more careful, since we don't know what's normal and what's our fault.