New Elantris

Stormgate

Before I get into the main topic, I want to clarify that this is not about the civilization Raoden created inside the fallen Elantris. I apologize for the title, but it seems appropriate.

So, I was reading the Elantris annotations, and I was reading the part where Aons were not very powerful in Teod. Sanderson explains that the Aons are about as strong as they were before Raoden fixed Elantris.

Perhaps AonDor is not the stationary magic we thought it was, unable to be used on other Shardworlds like Allomancy is. Perhaps Elantrians could construct other cities based on Aon Ado (I think it's the one) and get the powers proximity to Elantris grants, but in other countries. Perhaps these cities could also be built on, say, Skadrial.

Whole cities of Worldhopping, powerful Elantrians? Oh, yes I did.

Besides, we really don't know everything about any of the magic systems except maybe Allomancy. Who knows?

Before I get into the main topic, I want to clarify that this is not about the civilization Raoden created inside the fallen Elantris. I apologize for the title, but it seems appropriate.

So, I was reading the Elantris annotations, and I was reading the part where Aons were not very powerful in Teod. Sanderson explains that the Aons are about as strong as they were before Raoden fixed Elantris.

Perhaps AonDor is not the stationary magic we thought it was, unable to be used on other Shardworlds like Allomancy is. Perhaps Elantrians could construct other cities based on Aon Ado (I think it's the one) and get the powers proximity to Elantris grants, but in other countries. Perhaps these cities could also be built on, say, Skadrial.

Besides, we really don't know everything about any of the magic systems except maybe Allomancy. Who knows?

It's funny that you mention Scadrial, because the means of unlocking Allomantic power (and feruchemic, and hemalurgic for that matter) is essentially the same as it is with the Dor (just with metal structure instead of Aonic glyph).  However, that means that instead of Aon Rao (which is the basis for Elantris) you'd need to make a city in the same shape as an atom of whichever metal you'd want to emulate.  And even then it might not work.  

Well no, more you get far from the "Arelon" and more the AonDor get weak. In this there isn't any difference between AonDor and the other Sel's Magic.

The only peculiar factor with the AonDor is the city of Elantris. That boost the AonDor's Magnitude  beyond what is normal for the Sel's Magic. But the Elantris "buff" are fare more localizated and therefore is the reason of a such massive change in Elantrian's power between Elantris and Teod that aren't so far and probably inside the AonDor Area (Teod people may be taken by the Shaod).

Before Raoden fixed Elantris, he used the "Standard AonDor" without the Elantris boost.

To put in a numerical example:

A Sel's Magic (AonDor,Drhakor, Forgery,ecc...) within the right area (some great like a nation) has a power of 10. The more you get far from the Nation and the power became 9,7,3,2,1 to the zero (But probably on Sel you can't reach the "zero power").

Now we get at the AonDor odd. Elantris is a amplifier that boost AonDor that to say the AonDor inside the city had a power of 20 but that extra power get weaker pretty fast when you go far from Elantris. Within Toed this extra power is no more and you may use just the "standard AonDor".

Edited by Yata

• Chaos locked this topic