Steelheart Movie Casting

Gamma Fiend

I think Liam Neeson is a good choice for Prof. In the recent Dark Knight trilogy, he is Ra's Al Ghul and is pretty calm, yet intense in that. 

Andrew Garfield would be a great David, i think.

I'm really liking Emma Stone as Megan. 

--Yeah, he could pull it off.  I still like David Tennant; the things that man can do with his face and voice...

--He'd be OK, but I think that Shia LaBeouf or Gordon-Levitt would be better.  Although, Gordon-Levitt's probably too clean-cut.  

--HELL YES.  She'd be excellent.  And it'd be great payback at those incompetents who made the last Spider-Man movie...

• 3 weeks later...

I really, really, really want David to be an unknown. I can't think of anyone who would be good for him and be an actor that I know about, so yeah.

I support the Emma Stone/Jennifer Lawrence vote. Leaning more towards Jennifer Lawrence because she looks younger to me and I feel she's sympathetic yet cold at the same time.

Liam Neeson as Prof? Sure, why the heck not? Prof's old, right? He's insanely awesome, right? I support this motion, hands down. 

I really like Tom Hardy as Abraham. Now that I think of it, that's who I pictured Abraham as. I'm fairly sure that he could pull off the French accent (after all, he managed to be intelligible when wearing that awful Bane mask, so I have high hopes).

Gina Torres is perfect. No other comment except yes.

I've always imagined Nightwielder as very young. May I present for you Byung-hun Lee? He did a very good job in RED 2, and I feel like he's still comfortably in the early twenties to early thirties range. Plus, he's the perfect amount of menacing.

As for Steelheart, I say either Henry Cavill (Superman), Christian Bale, or Chris Hemsworth. Extra-irony bonus round: Chris Evans (though he doesn't have the black hair, I think he's close to having the bod).

Edited by Chrono

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I know this topic was last posted on a long time ago, but I just now came across it so I figured I'd say my thoughts on some people...

Megan: Chloe Grace Moretz. I consider her to be a very good actor, she is the right age for Megan and she has proven she can do action scenes, thanks to kickass.

052714-chloe-moretz-594.jpg

Prof: I like the Liam Neeson calls. I'd also be good with Daniel Craig, but he might lack a bit in having warmth. We know he can do action thanks to James Bond and he has the similar calm demeanor Liam Neeson has.

David: Daniel Radcliffe or Ansel Elcort. I think both are very likable personalities and that is really what you're going for with David. For people who don't know who Ansel is by name, he played the make kead in The Fault in Our Stars, Caleb Prior in Divergent, and was in the Carrie remake with Chloe Grace Moretz (so that may already have some on screen chemistry with each other. And Danielle Radcliffe became a solid actor by the end of the Harry Potter series.

Cody: I'm not positive how old he is supposed to be, but I'd have fun watching him be played by Chris Pratt

Steelheart: The Rock suggestion sounded fine to me. I'd like to offer up Sean Bean because I think he is a good actor and has played a good villain in the past. He just might not be buff enough, but some of the suggestions sounded too young to me. Steelheart isn't that young of a guy.

That's all I've got. Also, Byung-hun Lee was a great suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

First, I find it absolutely hilarious that the two posted pictures of Scarlett J. and Jen. L. have them in red, just like the first scene with Megan.  Second, Liam Neeson all the way for Prof.  I'm such a huge fan!

I like a lot of the other suggestions for Cody and do think they're superior to the person I'm about to put forward, but I still have to make a mention that Matthew McConaughey's regular voice is spot-on for Cody in my mind.  Like I said, though, I do like some of the the other suggestions better, such as Woody H.

I have to just say no to Daniel Radcliffe. Believe me, I'm a Harry Potter fan, but I just don't see him as David.  From the names put forward so far, Garfield would fit better, though I'm totally open to other suggestions.

First, I find it absolutely hilarious that the two posted pictures of Scarlett J. and Jen. L. have them in red, just like the first scene with Megan. Second, Liam Neeson all the way for Prof. I'm such a huge fan!

I like a lot of the other suggestions for Cody and do think they're superior to the person I'm about to put forward, but I still have to make a mention that Matthew McConaughey's regular voice is spot-on for Cody in my mind. Like I said, though, I do like some of the the other suggestions better, such as Woody H.

I have to just say no to Daniel Radcliffe. Believe me, I'm a Harry Potter fan, but I just don't see him as David. From the names put forward so far, Garfield would fit better, though I'm totally open to other suggestions.

For David, I'd hope for a lesser-known actor. I think it'd be harder for me to see Andrew Garfield as David instead of Andrew Garfield. (I have the same problem with Will Smith movies. He's just too big to really disappear into a role.) Liam Neeson, on the other hand, is just too awesome to NOT make an incredible Prof. I know he's another big name actor, but he's better at disappearing into a role, in my opinion.

For David, I'd hope for a lesser-known actor. I think it'd be harder for me to see Andrew Garfield as David instead of Andrew Garfield. (I have the same problem with Will Smith movies. He's just too big to really disappear into a role.) Liam Neeson, on the other hand, is just too awesome to NOT make an incredible Prof. I know he's another big name actor, but he's better at disappearing into a role, in my opinion.

Agreed!  It would probably be better to find a previously undiscovered (in the broad sense) actor for the part of David.  Fresh blood is good. :)  It would kind of be fitting considering the role he's be playing, too, as the newest member of the Reckoners.

Edit to add: The "agreed" was also in support of Liam Neeson.  He's one of my favorite actors and I think he'd be great as Prof. :D

Edited by traceria

Agreed! It would probably be better to find a previously undiscovered (in the broad sense) actor for the part of David. Fresh blood is good. :) It would kind of be fitting considering the role he's be playing, too, as the newest member of the Reckoners.

Edit to add: The "agreed" was also in support of Liam Neeson. He's one of my favorite actors and I think he'd be great as Prof. :D

I agree on both counts. It would be a good choice in a meta sense, I think, if they found a strong but undiscovered actor and added him to a cast full of big-name actors.

As far as I'm concerned, Liam Neeson is the only actor allowed to play Prof and it will take a lot of work to convince me otherwise. :D

I agree on both counts. It would be a good choice in a meta sense, I think, if they found a strong but undiscovered actor and added him to a cast full of big-name actors.

As far as I'm concerned, Liam Neeson is the only actor allowed to play Prof and it will take a lot of work to convince me otherwise. :D

Heck, I wouldn't mind if Liam Neeson played both Prof and Steelheart. Liam Neeson is epic enough to shoulder my willing suspension of disbelief.

And can you imagine how awesome that final fight scene would be?

Heck, I wouldn't mind if Liam Neeson played both Prof and Steelheart. Liam Neeson is epic enough to shoulder my willing suspension of disbelief.

And can you imagine how awesome that final fight scene would be?

I'd like that fight scene with almost anyone, but I think the actor who played Superman in Man of Steel would make an awesome Steelheart. Ironic, too.

Also, he's already proven himself capable of handling a break-an-enemy's-neck scene, so I'm confident he could portray Evil!Superman's atrocities. :P

I'd like that fight scene with almost anyone, but I think the actor who played Superman in Man of Steel would make an awesome Steelheart. Ironic, too.

Also, he's already proven himself capable of handling a break-an-enemy's-neck scene, so I'm confident he could portray Evil!Superman's atrocities. :P

I dunno, Steelheart causes way less property damage. :P

I dunno, Steelheart causes way less property damage. :P

Isn't it obvious? Man of Steel is a highly sanitized account of Steelheart's early days, made when he was still billing himself as a benevolent but ruthless dictator. What we are seeing isn't a movie that thumbs it's nose at the source material, but an aborted and retitled propaganda piece from the near future.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Hmm... I know it's a popular suggestion, but I can't at all see Henry Cavill as Steelheart. Perhaps I'm raising the bar too high, but to me, Steelheart should blur the line between grizzled barbarian and magnificent demigod. He should have the charisma to dominate any scene he takes part in and the voice to spark fear in the cast and the audience alike.

It's a tall order, but Steelheart's defining characteristic is the fear he ignites in the hearts of men. The audience should find themselves completely unable to imagine not being afraid of this character. Perhaps this is my lack of imagination talking, but I can't see Henry Cavill radiating that particular kind of presence.

EDIT:

[fluttershy voice]

Um, well, that's just my subjective opinion. There are good points to be made on the other side as well.

[/fluttershy voice]

Edited by Kobold King

There has got to be someone who fits the Steelheart role. I wish we could take fictional characters from other series and make them act the part, because if so, I'd totally pick Kincaid (uh, if you ever plan to read those books, don't read too much from that wiki entry due to spoilers) from the Dresden Files for appearance and presence alone. XD

I will continue to ponder this casting problem.

Edited by traceria

There has got to be someone who fits the Steelheart role. I wish we could take fictional characters from other series and make them act the part, because if so, I'd totally pick Kincaid (uh, if you ever plan to read those books, don't read too much from that wiki entry due to spoilers) from the Dresden Files for appearance and presence alone. XD

I will continue to ponder this casting problem.

M. Night Shyamalan's name strikes fear into my heart whenever I hear he'll be involved with another movie.

Prof-Dennis Quaid, Josh Brolin or Sean Bean

Tia-Elizabeth Mitchell

David-Brenton Thwaites

Megen-Tracy Spiridakos, Willa Holland

Cody-Sharlto Copley, Josh Holloway, Norman Reedus

Abe-Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje

Steelheart- Dominic Purcell

FIREFIGHT

Val-Jennifer Espisito

Exel-Oliver Platt

Mizzy-Candice Patten

Obliteration-Tom Hiddleson, Zachary Quinto, Paul Bettany

Newton-Kelly Hu

Regalia-Gina Torrez

Prof-Dennis Quaid, Josh Brolin or Sean Bean

Tia-Elizabeth Mitchell

David-Brenton Thwaites

Megen-Tracy Spiridakos, Willa Holland

Cody-Sharlto Copley, Josh Holloway, Norman Reedus

Abe-Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje

Steelheart- Dominic Purcell

FIREFIGHT

Val-Jennifer Espisito

Exel-Oliver Platt

Mizzy-Candice Patten

Obliteration-Tom Hiddleson, Zachary Quinto, Paul Bettany

Newton-Kelly Hu

Regalia-Gina Torrez

Regalia is far, far, far too old to be played by Gina. Gina could probably play a 55 year old with makeup, but a woman in her late 70s? Not a chance.

As for Megan, I imagine an unknown actor I know personally (whose name coincidentally happens to be Megan) playing her. I could be wrong but I'd always imagined Megan as a very small person (height and build) and so far too short for Jennifer Lawrence to play.

Regalia is far, far, far too old to be played by Gina. Gina could probably play a 55 year old with makeup, but a woman in her late 70s? Not a chance.

As for Megan, I imagine an unknown actor I know personally (whose name coincidentally happens to be Megan) playing her. I could be wrong but I'd always imagined Megan as a very small person (height and build) and so far too short for Jennifer Lawrence to play.

Chances are the movie would be tailored some. I picked Gina because she's always had that ability to look through other characters which is hard to convey on screen.