Cosmere 101

Zas678

Hello,

I am trying to build an Italian community for Sanderson's books and universe; I have since created a site called mattandthebooks.com where I write articles about books (mostly sanderson's), do rereads etc. I wanted to know if I could translate and post this post in order to explain to the reades of said site wht the cosmere is, as I think that this article is very well-written and can be understandable by any who haven't started "studying" the cosmere. I would of course link to the original article here on 17th Shard.

9 hours ago, matfire1999 said:

Hello,

I am trying to build an Italian community for Sanderson's books and universe; I have since created a site called mattandthebooks.com where I write articles about books (mostly sanderson's), do rereads etc. I wanted to know if I could translate and post this post in order to explain to the reades of said site wht the cosmere is, as I think that this article is very well-written and can be understandable by any who haven't started "studying" the cosmere. I would of course link to the original article here on 17th Shard.

I could see something like this working in the General Brandon Discussion or Creator's Corner threads. That is if it isn't against any forum rules. 

Creator's Corner

General Brandon Discussion

1 hour ago, Kered said:

I could see something like this working in the General Brandon Discussion or Creator's Corner threads. That is if it isn't against any forum rules. 

Creator's Corner

General Brandon Discussion

Oh, ok. I posted this here because I was writing about this article. Really hope this request isn't against any rules, but I don't think so.

• 6 months later...
On 4/7/2011 at 3:24 PM, SOM1else said:

don't know Chaos, Silus has a point. All we know is that Rayse has the most dangerous Shard and that whoever has Odium killed the Almighty.

[OB] .... Is Odium really more dangerous than sword nimi?  The blade of the Assasin in White in Oathbringer ... which will claim the life of it's bearer is used for an extended time.  I have not read anything with Shard Odium being used, yet.  Mistborn is next, then I must rejoin the 9-5.

On 1/31/2018 at 8:47 PM, ElephantEarwax said:

It has a backstory in Warbreaker. You should read it.

READING . . .

There is much reading to attend . . . Hoping the factoid page for newbies is ready soon.

Edited by SallyA
correct typo

Warbreaker was a nice read!  Thank you for the heads-up.

A thousand Breaths to bring sentience (heightened sentience) to a sword, which has the maturity of a child, and gives off AND creates BLACK SMOKE when used!

I think the researchers need to find a material for the hilt!

From a cross media viewpoint, it is not unlike the hungry, hungry Smoke from LOST . . . (Sorry, no hippos).

In the episodes of LOST when the man with the briefcase of knives comes back to the Island, in a coffin, and is resurrected, . . . There is a question "What rests in the shadow of the alter which will,save us all." . . . Curiouser and curiouser . . . 

. . and a  'silver' sheath . . For Nightblood! . . . Mmmmm ... as Pattern would say. 

WARBREAKER . . . .

I know this is not on Roshar, but it seems to me that some of these characters have the Hero Genes on steroids, and some can planet hop.

It crossed my mind that the FOURTY THOUSAND strong Deathless army might have come from the Parshman (suddenly) falling into dullform?  In the Trilogy wriien on Roshar, it says it was done to escape their Gods. . . and that's all.

OR ... Might these have been liberated when the Parshmen gave up dullform and accepted warform in the opposite moving storm ???

This is because of that law about conservation ... Nothing goes poof, really, it just changes form (state .. whatever).

One breath each . . . To make the lifeless soldiers, leaving a dun doner behind.  And the Returned who healed the God King was  Lightsong . . .

The next big, and bigger question is . . did the Parshmen have to donate to build the D’Denir (?sp)... as well?  The Parshmen being so intrinsicly tied to The Singers, and having the internal consonance of emotion-associated music, in all their interpersonal communications.

Mayhap there is somewhere to find information on The Singers?

Off to read Aether of Night . . . Thank you for supplying the texts! ;-)

Oh, one more . . Giving someone a lot of Breath at death .. might cause the Retutned?

Edited by SallyA
add optional consideratiin

On 2/1/2018 at 1:31 PM, SallyA said:

READING . . .

There is much teading to attend . . . Hoping the factoid page for newbies is ready soon.

I might be working on something like that.

It crossed my mind that the FOURTY THOUSAND strong Deathless army might have come from the Parshman (suddenly) falling into dullform?  In the Trilogy wriien on Roshar, it says it was done to escape their Gods. . . and that's all.

One breath each . . . To make the soldiers, leaving a dun doner behind.  And the Returned who healed the God King was  Lightsong . . .

The next big, and bigger question is . . did the Parshmen have to donate to build the D’Denir (?sp)... as well?  The Parshmen being so intrinsicly tied to The Singers, and having the internal consonance of emotion-associated music, in all their interpersonal communications.

Mayhap there is somewhere to find information on The Singers?

Sorry, the Lifeless are just humans who've been turned to Lifeless.  I don't think a human could turn a Singer into a Lifeless with one Breath, and there's no evidence of the Lifeless looking like Singers.  (Lifeless are dead humans who have been brought back to some semblance of life with a Breath).

Oh, one more . . Giving someone a lot of Breath at death .. might cause the Retutned?

There's a small possibility there, but I doubt it.  The Divine Breath is a very special Breath that I don't think humans can re-create.

I was not thinking that the Parshmen lined up and donated breath to corpses on another planet (I assume Warbridge did NOT take place on Roshar!)...

I was thinking in bigger, more deific? terms .... That the life essence fot 40 thousand lifeless had to come form somewhere, and the army of bones in stone as well.

Writers as people are constrained to our world of experiences and laws .. so when someone sets out such a consumate puzzle as Brandon has, the puzzle addicted tend to step back and make hypotheses!!

I have to admit, I was really awed to read the story of the Emperor, wow!! Awesome!!

Winkin, Blonkin and Nod one night sailed off in a Wooden Shoe ....

And the ship of Odyssus spoke!

And much, much more!!!

The Lifeless were probably created in small groups over time, not all at once, as Breath became available.  And as Singers aren't human, a single Human Breath wouldn't be able to make them Lifeless.

If you mean people took the Singers' Breaths, that's also not possible because only Nalthians have usable Breaths that can be given away.

(And yeah, Warbreaker takes place on Nalthis, a different planet and solar system than Roshar).

• 2 months later...
On 4/14/2011 at 5:57 PM, ZeldaDad said:

Very true. Thanks guys. I was just reading through Warbreaker and forgot that Hoid was the guy who told Siri the story. When she asks where he learned it he says, "I learned it many, many years ago from a man who didn't know who he was, Your Majesty. It was a distant place where two lands meet and gods have died."

I just thought this was really interesting and goes along with the whole guide thing. I'm just really curious who "the man who didn't know who he was" is. Interesting description. Also, "a distant place where two lands meet and gods have died".... Shadesmar??? I don't know. Just thought the whole thing was interesting because I didn't even know the Cosmere existed when I read Warbreaker.

Oathbringer Spoilers:

Spoiler

Could it be referring to a herald on Roshar?, where Honor has died, and the singers met humanity?

Edited by Pagerunner
Oathbringer Spoilers

On 4/17/2018 at 4:41 PM, Kramerfarve said:

Oathbringer Spoilers:

Hide contents

Could it be referring to a herald on Roshar?, where Honor has died, and the singers met humanity?

Spoiler

Questioner

Hoid says [in Warbreaker] that he learned stories from a place where gods have died. Is that Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. I will say this. A god has died on Roshar. Only one, that we know. So, "gods" would not be plural.

Footnote: Brandon is referring to the Shard Honor here, which has been confirmed to be Splintered.
source

• 8 months later...

Ooooooh, a 101, I'll definitely need this.
I came out of a several-year Branderson hiatus just over a month ago, reading his books for the first time with slight Cosmere awareness in the back of my mind (just finished a reread of Elantris AND I NOTICED HOID I'M SO PROUD), and now I intend to reread all of it and also read the books I haven't read yet (MB era 2 ...).

Frankly, I'm equally fascinated, confused and terrified.
I'm never going to get all this right. :lol:

Edited by Winds Alight

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Chinkoln said:

I don't get it, is the 17th shard an actual part of Adonalsium or simply another power that was attributed to it?

The 17th Shard is an independent group that appears to want to stop Hoid from interfering with things. As far as we know, they aren't an actual Shard.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, RazeU said:

Is there an updated list of shards and holders and locations somewhere? Search isn’t really helping. 

The Coppermind is a really great resource for this kind of thing (although you have to beware spoilers).  It's basically the Cosmere Wikipedia.  

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Shard#Known_Shards

Edited by Scion of the Mists