Cosmere 101

Zas678

Blunt is most likely from White Sand, by the way. He's not from Scadrial (Mistborn), Nalthis (Warbreaker), or Sel (Elantris), because we were told he's not from a world we've seen. He's not from Yolen (Dragonsteel) because Peter said he wasn't in an interview. Therefore he's probably from Taldain (White Sand), because The Way of Kings references White Sand and White Sand was an early thing Brandon wrote. (He could be from The Silence Divine though.)

Thanks for the reply :)

Blunt is a character in one of the interludes of the Stormlight Archives, we have been told that he is a character from off Roshar, and is a character from another Cosmere book, but one that hasn't been written/released yet.

Ahh thank you, I forgot that he was thought of as Blunt by the Purelaker. I lent my TWOK to a friend and didn't have it to reference.

Blunt is most likely from White Sand, by the way. He's not from Scadrial (Mistborn), Nalthis (Warbreaker), or Sel (Elantris), because we were told he's not from a world we've seen. He's not from Yolen (Dragonsteel) because Peter said he wasn't in an interview. Therefore he's probably from Taldain (White Sand), because The Way of Kings references White Sand and White Sand was an early thing Brandon wrote. (He could be from The Silence Divine though.)

Thankyou, I had been reading and searching through threads recently on here and completely missed what Peter said in an interview. That would be that planet and series where the shard holder Bavadin is, right?

Phwoarr I appreciate the way you've considered all of the factors then use elimination to come to this, I love to use this when approaching most things and I get filled with such joy when I see people put it into action.

(Haha sorry if that's a bit weird but I marvel at little things like that! :huh: )

Cheers! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

And the definition of Splinter is "a sentient piece of a Shard's power which has no holder".

I disagree.

I'm not sure which meaning did you mean, but:

The Shard can be held and have some splinters at the same time, in WoR Honor is talking about spren doing stuff (bonding with KR) as something he've seen.

Splinters can have holders too; the Returned work like that.

Mind blown having read all of this. Quick question as to Brandon's early works. Is this all speculation based off of Q&A's or have some of you read his unreleased early work?

I know some people have read a couple of the unreleased novels (such as White Sand and Aether of Night) but everything discussed on the forums is (or at least should be) based entirely released books and Q&A.  It is currently against forum policy to discuss unpublished work on the forum (in accordance to Brandon's wishes).

Some things do slip through however.

But really not that much, if anyone's worried. I haven't had to put much effort into it and I could count on one hand the number of times I've seen (at least to my knowledge) references to unpublished works over the last few years.

Edited by Kurkistan

Aye. For some reason I still haven't read his unpublished works (though I have them), and I am yet to see information overflow. The only thing I can think of is the fact the Yolen has some form of Lightweaving that is similar to what we see in Roshar, but that no longer applies...

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Elantris.  It was kind of so-so as I expected based on reviews and what Brandon himself has said about this book.  My main reason for reading it was to learn more about the Cosmere.  From the book itself, is the only Cosmere related information the introduction of Hoid?  Is it possible to learn everything from the books?  How do we even know the Elantris planet is called Sel?  There was no reference to it in the book as far as I can remember.  I did a search through the e-book and there was indeed no Sel word.  I don't really want to read all of Brandon's interviews and stuff.  I'd rather just try to piece everything together myself, even if it means waiting for all his books to come out.  

Next up, Emperor's Soul.  I will have to give Mistborn and Stormlight Archive a re-read in my finer detail later.

Just finished Elantris.  It was kind of so-so as I expected based on reviews and what Brandon himself has said about this book.  My main reason for reading it was to learn more about the Cosmere.  From the book itself, is the only Cosmere related information the introduction of Hoid?  Is it possible to learn everything from the books?  How do we even know the Elantris planet is called Sel?  There was no reference to it in the book as far as I can remember.  I did a search through the e-book and there was indeed no Sel word.  I don't really want to read all of Brandon's interviews and stuff.  I'd rather just try to piece everything together myself, even if it means waiting for all his books to come out.  

Next up, Emperor's Soul.  I will have to give Mistborn and Stormlight Archive a re-read in my finer detail later.

Its hard because we get a significant amount of our cosmere knowledge from interviews, (such as the names for all the planets except for Roshar) so you are probably going to be waiting decades (and that is assuming everything will make its way into the books, which is kind of unlikely).  We just have such a wealth of extra-textual information.

Another cosmere related thing in Elantris, besides Hoid, is the Lake/Pool which is a shardpool like the Well of Ascension.

The way I learned was through the wiki, and then just reading through the topics here as they come up. The wiki will give you a base knowledge to work with, and the forums refer back to themselves enough that after a little while, you're pretty caught up on the important stuff. Also, if someone says something you don't get, go ahead and ask them about it. The people here are super nice and will help you figure it out.

60% done Emperor's Soul.  Essence Marks seems very much like metal minds.

...........And done.  In his post script Sanderson mentions the magic system is very similar to that of Elantris.  Which part specifically?  I still feel Essence Marks and metal minds are essentially the same thing.  From a timeline standpoint, where does Emperor's Soul relate with Elantris, the book?

Edited by kogs