Voidus

Town of Wendigo, Day 5

"Of course, my queen." Katherine bowed multiple times as she exited Wendigo's imposing throne room.

Turning her back as the servants closed the door, she gulped. Wendigo had given her, the Chief Administrator of Security, an important mission, perhaps the most important in the last year- find a way to kill Bushfire, that didn't involve Wendigo, her Epics, or her Snowmen.

What on earth was she going to do?

Mere mortals could not hope to defeat Bushfire and her raiders- surely she had Epics too. And they didn't even have any functioning vehicles, how were they going to catch them? This was.... a difficult prospect. She needed to speak to the Administrator for Intelligence immediately.

"Hmm..... I'm not sure what I can do to help." 

Katherine's heart sank. 

Roger sat in his chair, lazily eating a breadstick, as he sorted through some files. The curtains were open but the window was firmly shut- there was little reason to open it unless one wanted to be snowed in.

"Damnit! There has to be something! What about other cities or Epics? Can we hire mercenaries?"

Roger paused in the middle of a bite. "Hmm.... actually... I do recall receiving a report about something like that." He turned to another cabinet, and began rummaging through it. After a few minutes, he pulled out a folder, and withdrew a piece of paper from that. "Here, a report of rumours of a group of Epics-for-hire. They were sighted around the ruins of Mungo- a little town in New South Wales that got destroyed by some Epic in their rending. Apparently they offer their services to anyone who will make a trade they approve of. I don't have any specifics about their powers, but their human servants seem to be unnaturally fast and strong."

Katherine smiled. "Brilliant! They will do perfectly! Hopefully I can get Jetpack to give me a ride there."

Roger rolled his eyes. "Good luck with that."

"Haha well this mission is of vital importance, might as well try. Thanks Roger."

"No problem, just let me get back to me work please."

Katherine left, and prepared for her trip. Most likely, she could get a lift with Jetpack, but if not... it would be a week long venture both ways, at the very least.

1-1 looked around the table at his subordinates. The command tent had been one of the first set up, but the monitors around the perimeter of the room were new, as was the long steel table all the 1s were gathered around. All except one. That could have to do with a loyalty problem, thought the one. Maybe he was out plotting with one of the other epics who occasionally passed through his territory. Maybe even now they were moving, and 4-1 would run in at any second holding a knife and he would go to-

4-1 walked in, stumbling slightly as he slowed from a sprint. Snapping to attention, he apologized for his tardiness, blaming it on one of the vehicles breaking down just as he needed it.

"I submit myself for all deserved punishments due to lack of punctuality," he added.

1-1 considered his options. A firm hand was needed to run a base efficiently, but too much harshness could result in treason, which would be unacceptable. 4-1 was his only captain who had not been with him from the start, and was therefore more likely to not know of the absolute perfection that all the captains should show. Also, as it was his first meeting, it wouldn't do to leave a bad impression. In this case, a respectful and kind response might be better than a violent one.

This all passed through his head inside of a split second. His decision made, he replied,

"Don't worry about it, but see to it that it doesn't happen again. You are the pinnacle of the human race; a broke truck had better not be your downfall again."

From the gratified look on the young mans face, he sensed that he had made the right choice. His secondary inspired respect, but that could be turned to the wary respect of an enemy. 4-1 knew that he could have been killed for the minor offence of being late, and the mercy he had been showed would ensure that he stayed loyal for a good while.

Moving on to other matters, he looked at the four captains around him. Today was the monthly progress report, when the captains could look to gain favour for them and their squads. A good report could have your squad doing simple and enjoyable things, such as basic training or running a raid on one of the nomadic groups that still trued to carve out a living in this area. A bad one would likely send half of the squad to mungo for offer watch, and leave the other half digging latrines or providing for all of Sustenances whims, which was the nightmare of many of the newest recruits.

"Alright, 2-1, how goes the intel gathering," he asked.

"Very well, Sir. 2-2 and 2-3 have successfully identified that the immortals of Necropathy live up to their name, as well as being physically enhanced. 2-4 and 2-5 have confirmed that the triumvirate is fragile at best, and we may see an assassination offer from one of them if we continue to spread rumours in their area of our strength. In Bendigo we've entered stage two of the campaign, having placed several sleeper agents to spread word of us." Responded 2-1 confidently.

1-1 mentally checked off intelligence, and turned to 3-1.

"How is the camp's infrastructure doing?" he asked.

This captain looked slightly less sure of himself, doubting his report would be regarded as better than 2-1's.

"The tents are now completely set up, and we have housing for 425 civilians. The squad barrack tents are all up, and the weaponry storage tents are complete. Food is not a problem as we have the sustenance rations and have 120 civilians working gathering food. The piping system is still being completed, and is expected to finish within a month. We have dug a central trench through the camp for now from the lake for one source of water, but it is unclean and the purifying equipment has failed. Also, the tent housing the vehicles was burned down two nights ago and the civilians are not expecting to finish a new one for at least half a month."

"Your squad will be on Mungo duty, 3-1. 4-1, how are the defences coming."

The newest member of the captains cleared his throat awkwardly and began.

" Well, the trench surrounding the landward side of the camp is complete, and has been filled with barbed wire. We have a wall under construction around the camp that is due for completion within 2 months, and a series of concentric walls surrounding the camp planned. There are only two entrances and exits without crossing the wall or trench, one for large vehicles and a hidden one near the southernmost part of the wall. We have lost 8 civilians working during a nomadic attack a few days ago, but we captured the offenders in a truck. However, we may be running into some difficulties as the vehicles are having a hard time on the land, and may soon not be able to perform combat operations or even menial ones. I request permission to enlist 200 civilians for work on the wall."

"And where would those civilians be coming from, 4-1." asked the commander coldly. He would not accept such careless losses from any of his men.

"Preferably, I would take 40 from each of the other squads control, and my own 40."

"And you do realize that squad five only has 40 men? You expect me to put your attempt to impress me with these walls ahead of his raiding parties? 3-1, you're off the hook. 4-1 and his men will be on mungo and menial. You take over defences. 5-1, i want the numbers from your raid report on my desk first thing tomorrow."

With that, he stood up and stormed into the back room of the tent, which was his office. He stood for a moment, calming his thoughts until his dark anger left him. When the darkness receded enough that he believed he wouldn't kill anyone who walked in the door, he sat down and started to do the paper-pushing that was most of the job if being commander. He stood up, and considered stopping and going out for some combat practice with one of the squads, but then sat back down and began looking over the relations between the factions of this sparking continent. He would need to know every towns status towards each other if he was going to ever begin receiving payments for the attacks he hoped he would soon be getting requests for. He had done a few small attacks with his squads before, but soon he would join the big leagues. With the more powerful epics, the pay was better, but so was the risk. The politics were like one big cloud of dust where you had a hard time knowing who was an ally. But he could use that. He would watch the big boys play at war, and help the ones who decided they would pay. And when their wars were over and the dust settled, he would come out on top.

Eden/Hobart, Day 5

There was one more stop Mephistopheles made with the servant girl before offering her to Seastrider. A stop he had made her promise to never let any information about slip afterwards. It brought him back to Fallzone’s space, where a group was gathered around an assortment of delicacies created by Foodstock. Said Epic was seated near to said feast, chatting with various Epics.   

As her piercing green eyes caught his approach, she stood up to greet him, long dark hair framing her luscious body that she was in no way hesitant to show off with her dress. What was maybe most surprising is that she hadn’t even needed her powers to achieve her current shape. 

“My, Mephistopheles, I should have known that you’re still hiding some gems away. Do you know how much money I could make with a girl like this? But I take it that she’s the new payment?” The tone in Foodstock’s voice was mostly playful, hiding a greedy edge underneath.

“Yes she is. I apologize for doing this on such a short notice but I thought that you could make a little spectacle out of the display of your powers.”

“You sly little devil you. Alas, pleasing the masses is part of my job, so I’ll comply gladly.”

Foodstock grabbed the girl much more eagerly than her response would have indicated and started her work. She started with the girls face, changing ever so small details as her hands brushed over her face, the nose a bit smaller, removing ever so slight blemishes of her skin and more little touches that the eye wouldn’t even register. From there Foodstock’s hand traveled down her body, exploring every last piece of her flesh and shaping it like an artist would clay.

The watching Epics cheered at the girl’s shame, awkwardly twitching and moaning in Foodstock’s arms, as she futilely tried to resist the feeling of a foreign force violating her body.

Their lesser company instead averted their gazes, clearly uncomfortable at the perverse pleasure Foodstock displayed in her art.

Mephistopheles however did not care either way. It may be true that Foodstock had perfected the use of her power enough to make beauties that looked natural without doubt but to him those alterations still were distracting at best. Not by any fault in her work but simply because his powers made him see right through the changes, covering her products in a layer of falsehood in his eyes.

It took Foodstock a couple of minutes to finish but the result was satisfying. The girl didn’t look like a different person entirely, Foodstock’s powers couldn’t make changes that drastic, but the change as a whole was unmistakable. She had gone from an eye catcher to a woman that looked like she was born to attract attention. Seastrider might not know about the procedure but she would be pleased with the result nonetheless.  

The spring Mephistopheles used to summon Seastrider was contained in a room within the same building as the one he was holding the party in. The body of water sat in the middle of the room, the remaining space covered in a miniature garden. He pulled out a gold coin, a discount compared to the gold bars she would demand from less frequent costumers, and flipped it into the body of water.

Shortly afterwards, the familiar figure of Seastrider rose out of the water, her smile itself doing a good job of covering up her annoyance or at least it would before anybody else.

“Seastrider, a pleasure as always,” Mephistopheles said while adopting a warm smile. “I wanted to ask for another report on what’s happening on the ground, although that may be simply an excuse to invite a beautiful woman for a dance without risking to waste her time. The party is taking place just outside, if it pleases you. First however,” he gave a short clap and the servant girl stepped into sight, visibly having to force herself for every step, “I think it would be better to leave her in your capable hands.”

Edited by Edgedancer

Mungo, NSW, Day 6

Katherine curled into a ball as Jetpack released the straps holding them together, sending her rolling into the ground. Soaring over her, he landed slowly and gracefully further ahead, smirking at her dust-covered and groaning form. 

Finally, she rose to her feet, and dusted herself off. "Was that really necessary?" She scowled at him as he chuckled. 

"No, but it was fun! Hahaha"

"I could have died!"

"Then the mission is a failure and I get to go home. Everyone wins! In fact.... why shouldn't I do that anyway? It would save me the trouble of carrying you back...." He stroked his chin and adopted a thoughtful expression. She honestly had no idea if he was joking or not.

"J-just remember, uh, sir, that I technically outrank you. Wendigo would have your head if I died on this very important mission."

He squinted, and thought some more. "Hmm... yeah, I guess she would. Ah well, you can keep living I suppose."

Katherine breathed a sigh of relief, and looked around. All she saw was dull re and duller green, flat bushland with white-barked trees dotting the landscape. She saw what could have once been a few buildings, but they had long been reduced to rubble. She couldn't see any sign of habitation, or life whatsoever. 

"Well," Jetpack mused. "It certainly is warmer here than back in Icetown," Icetown was what many people had started calling their home of Wendigo. Trust an Epic to rename a town after herself, and confuse everyone who might want to say the name in general conversation.

"Are you sure this is even a town? Can we leave now?"

Katherine grated her teeth. Out of all Wendigo's Epics, Jetpack was by far the most annoying. 

"Not yet, Jetpack, we need to try to find some sign of these mercenaries. Could you perhaps, please fly around, and give us an eye from the sky? You are, after all, the most useful Epic after Wendigo." He puffed his chest out at the flattery. 

"Well, I suppose I can be bothered to render my aid unto a worm like you. I will take a look."

With that, he adopted an Ironman pose and fire erupted from his palms and feet. Quadruple jets of intense heat and force slowly lifted him into the air, gradually picking up speed. She watched as he took off into the air, becoming tiny to her eyes as he soared into the sky.

Eden/Hobart, 19 months ago

Deterrence walked down the deserted street. A new Epic had arisen in town, sending an annoying itch down Deterrence’s spine, and whatever kind of welcoming rampage was going on had driven people out of the neighborhood. Just another headache for her after some Slontzes had tried to get a sniping position on her for weeks now. At first she had expected them to just give up and stop bothering her but that seemed less and less likely by the day, seems like she’d have to bother properly tracking them down and killing them after all. Given that one of them seemed to be an Epic, that shouldn’t be very hard, if maybe a waste. One way or another, she would have to take care of them.

For now however it was time to beat a rabid dog down and show it its place. That and it wouldn’t do if an armed force showed up and killed a potentially useful power battery. Deterrence stopped on the road. The air was downright littered with floating objects. Some were simple objects, cars, parts of broken pavement, backpacks, simply hanging in the air. Others were crushed bodies. There even was a big mass of flesh, apparently made from crushing several bodies together until their bones were utterly broken, hanging in the sky, faces lifelessly starring at the destruction around them.

Whatever was holding them in the air wasn’t visible but Deterrence could feel it. The air was covered in the same itch that the new Epic emitted and the back of her head was telling her that she’d go flying after taking another step. The Epic’s powers were lingering. After taking a step to the side to avoid shrapnel, Deterrence canceled. They sky came crashing down again, fragments of broken metal, stone and bone covering the ground, landing safely away from Deterrence.   

With the way safe again, Deterrence continued towards the new Epic, all the while keeping up a continuous canceling impulse for the area. The Epic turned out to be a blue haired woman, who was currently venting by kicking repeatedly against a house wall. A rending with effectively no powers seemed to be frustrating more than anything.

Eventually blue hair noticed Deterrence approach and judging by the growled insults settled on her as the new target for her rage, probably more fitting than she was even aware. Getting closer, blue hair was about to draw a knife. Before she even could get her hand to the handle, Deterrence punched her in the face, hard. Not giving blue hair a chance to recover from the hit, Deterrence delivered another couple of punches. She only stopped to twist blue hair’s arm and pin her to the ground, using her ability to predict how she would struggle to effectively keep her down.

“I don’t expect you’ll remember much of this,” Deterrence said, while moving her free hand to blue hair’s neck, “but in case you do, keep one thing in mind. Your powers belong to me and there isn’t anything you can do to stop me from claiming them.” Following through with on her words, Deterrence took her powers and she wasn’t gentle in the least. The process left the other woman limp under her, still conscious but if she wasn’t careful the first time she took from Epics never left them in a condition to do anything; the lightheadedness upon receiving their powers most likely didn’t help either.   

With her battery out of it, Deterrence moved her to a safe house, to make sure nothing happened to her. This one seemed to be a valuable one, Deterrence considered while getting comfortable with the powers. It was gravity manipulation but not simply redirecting it instead setting up fields that interfered and twisted the natural pull of it. Moving herself through the air with it would need some practice for anything resembling complicated maneuvers. The possibilities it offered instead she was about to test out.

Shortly afterwards, Deterrence touched down on the roof of the house containing the Epic that had been stalking her the last couple of weeks. Concentrating on this Epic made her feel as if the bones in her right index finger and right eyeball were trying to jump all over the place. Now that she had reached the Epics position, she dismissed the feeling back to the corners of her consciousness. Instead she concentrated on shaping a field of altered gravity. She couldn’t tell if there were other people besides the Epic in the room, so to eliminate risks she would cover most of the room in intensified gravity, enough to crush anyone that would be in the room, although this would require a good amount of time to build up the power. She had the time; none of them were planning to attack her, so they likely didn’t notice Deterrence’s approach. For the position of the Epic proper, she settled for simply making gravity point towards the ceiling.  

Within her the power was building up like a maelstrom and eventually it had built up to meet her needs. She released it. There was a crushing sound, as whatever was within the room was crushed under its increased weight. From there she entered the room through a window, dismissing the gravity fields at the same time.

Bullet. Ricochet.

Without much thought, Deterrence flung herself to the side, to dodge the bullet, tugging her legs along with her to avoid the bullet after it bounced of the wall. She just caught a glance of the Epic, before the landed behind his table, which was left lying with its top towards Deterrence, after it had fallen to the ceiling and back. It seemed that he fired the bullet mid-fall. Her powers told her that the Epic was about to fire several bullets from behind his cover, making them ricochet from the wall behind him, through the room a couple of times and finally towards the tabletop, the side turned towards her, and back outwards, which would leave her no space to dodge. Assuming she approached directly.

In the other parts of the room there actually weren’t any corpses, instead only crushed furniture littered the room, its fragments more imbedded into the floor by the force of gravity pulling on all of it, instead of strewn across the room like a more ordinary impact might had. This left the table the gunman was crouching behind the only proper cover remaining in the room.

Cancelling the gunmen’s power to stop the bullets from ricocheting, so that they simply imbedded themselves in the wall, was an option but it would also mean that Deterrence would lose her grip on the gravity power. Instead she ran, not directly forwards but also towards the left of the room, making sure she wouldn’t cross path with any of the bullets and build up the power again. Then the shoots rang through the air.

Just in time the table and Epic behind it entered her range. Making it fall upwards would be the easiest solution but also risked the Epic getting shoot, depriving her of a resource. She made gravity shift towards the left. The desk grated against the floor shortly, the Epic further being thrown against it, so it shifted slightly with its top facing to the right, which was enough to either avoid the bullets or make them ricochet harmlessly into the right of the room.

Deterrence threw herself into a roll as gravity shifted and dismissed the effect again, allowing her to catch herself. The gunman wasn’t that lucky. He was sprawled across the ground a short distance away from the ground. She sprinted over to him and kicked his gun away.

“Wait, wait!” The Epic on the ground said. Deterrence didn’t sense any danger from him, so she let him get back to his feet. It was a chance to get a better look at the man, He was dressed like a cowboy, if a rather well kept one, duster and gun belt included. “Now, no reason to stare at me like,” Deterrence’s glare intensified by a fraction, “…to be fair, you do have a reason to be angry at me. I am Shalashaska and you Deterrence,” he made a flourish with both of his hands and pointed at her, “You’re pretty good.”

It was a pointlessly showy introduction. More importantly, it did not give her any less reason to get rid of him. “I was expecting a reason why I shouldn’t kill you and not pointless theatrics.”

“Ah but you already do have a reason.”

Not reacting to the flourish Shalashaska ended with, Deterrence simply continued starring him down.

“Killing me would have been easy for you; you squashed everything else in this room perfectly fine. What you want is power, mine included.”

“Assuming it isn’t too much of a bother to keep around,” Deterrence said. “You have been bothersome for quite a while now.”

“Think of that more as me attempting to schedule a meeting.”
“A meeting?”
“Exactly. You’re not an easy woman to track down for a private meeting and I would have hated a more direct approach. Staging an assassination attempt however? Discrete and you would react eventually, admittedly it took longer than I expected.”

“Clever, I’ll give you that. Still doesn’t explain why you just tried to shoot me right now.”

“Think of it like a job interview. Avoiding traps and all that is fancy but not worth much if the first real gunshot is enough to take you out.”

“Not appreciated,” Deterrence said, “but I’ll at least hear you out.”

“Smart move. Now I could get out of this is simple, protection, but you, that’s a bit trickier. You’re a big fish, you can track your prey, render it defenseless but there’s something a predator like you can’t do, make your prey let its guard down. That’s where I come into play.”

“Interesting,” Deterrence said and took a step to the side, so Shalashaska could reach his gun. She stopped scowling.

An offer that he took gladly, giving it a couple of spins after picking it up and ultimately tossing it into the air. With a casual motion he pulled his coat to the side and twisted his hip a bit. The revolver landed in it with perfect accuracy. Then he turned back to Deterrence and held out a hand, “A pleasure to work with you, boss.”

Deterrence punched him in the face, "Consider yourself on probation."

Edited by Edgedancer

Hobbart, Day 5

The offerings of Hobbart were perfect as always, Seastrider examined the girl from head to toe, and as usual found no fault.

"Delectable as always M." She said, her tone a mixture of pleasure and annoyance.

However good the girls were she couldn't help but be slightly annoyed that she couldn't at least complain about this deal. But she quickly chided herself for thinking that way. She made the deal in the first place to get this, she shouldn't be getting annoyed that the terms of the deal were met perfectly. After all Mephistopheles' deals always were.

Water started to pool around her feet before lashing out at the girl.

"Someone will see to you when you arrive, don't wait up for me dear." She said in farewell as the offering was sucked into the poo with a short scream.

"Now then, a party you say?" She continued to Mephistopheles, offering up an arm for him to take. "Well I couldn't say no to such hospitality could I?"

He escorted her as they talked, to all appearances just another sophisticated couple strolling through the party.

"So, the ground. The ground has been somewhat... volatile, of late. The south has been trying to expand lately it seems, and tribourne has been going through their usual struggles."

Strictly speaking she wasn't asked about the other cities but then it had been a particularly lovely girl tonight.

"So, any details in particular you had in mind?" She asked with a coy smile.

Tribourne, day 5
Legolas watched the arena displays dispassionately, it was a somewhat senseless waste of life but he'd seen worse. He'd experienced far worse, days where he'd wished with all his being that someone would simply come up and kill him. 

No, to a well trained mind death was nothing to fear, life was the trial, full of pain and misery. Death was easy.

"But the good thing about dead people" Laserbolt continued from next to him. "Is that they kill two birds with one stone. They don't need food, and they can be food. Not for me, of course, but when the peasants are hungry they will eat anything, and not ask where it came from."

​They'd had to resort to cannibalism? If Legolas had needed any further proof that helping Necropathy to expand into the rest of the Wastelands this was it. Chaos reigned in the other cities.

"This is the best way to keep the population under control. And you know... I think I've though of a way to mitigate our food shortages."

Legolas quirked an eyebrow at that.

"Well there are certain... advantages to be had from forming an alliance with somewhere with a slightly more stable population." He said carefully.

"After all, losing so many people must be damaging to your workforce no?"

4-7 Ran beside the other 4 members of his squad that had been sent to watch at mungo. The trip was around the length of a marathon, but for people with the speed and endurance to sprint almost the whole way, it was only about a half hour sprint. As the ruins came into view, 7's mind wandered to its destruction. The town had been relatively large once, but small enough that most epics had left it alone. It was strange how the same thing applied to regular people; it was better to be small and unnoticeable these days than big and successful.

4-7 had gained his place on the squad because he was too successful. After being taken from his home by some of the pentagons men, he had quickly tried to become useful. He worked hard, terrified of the men who ordered them about and no longer answered to their old names. The numbers gave them a detached feeling, as if they were different than regular people.

He had eventually been noticed by the old, now dead 4-1. He had been recruited, given a number and power. His squad accepted him, and while they weren't truly his friends-he was to new for that-most were happy to have him. The only real difference between them was of obedience. It seemed like most of the other men followed 1-1 without ever questioning him, with unwavering loyalty. They saluted almost reverently when he passed by. 4-7 had never understood that. To him, 1-1 was a powerful epic, and one who had made his life both easier and harder, but not a leader worthy of respect.

Stop it, he thought to himself. This line of thinking would get him killed. And anyway, they were almost to the town, with the piles of rubble taking on shape and definition as they neared them.

They entered town through the standard tunnel, a low trench covered with rubble. it led into one of the few buildings still standing, that had also been disguised with rubble to appear dilapidated and destroyed. As they entered, 4-7 shouldered his rifle and went to the peak hole to look out. He'd been on mungo duty before and didn't really expect anything.

So it was a shock to see an epic blast off, leaving a Vanilla on the ground to start searching.

"4-1! I think we just got our first customer!" He called.

"Excellent," 4-1 said. "Lets head out and meet them!"

Eden/Hobart, Day 6

In their meeting yesterday, Mephistopheles as always had suppressed his amusement at Seastrider’s attempt to find fault in their arrangements. People that wanted something to complain about were rare, naturally most people didn’t share her commitment to independence. It was a bothersome conviction but Mephistopheles pretended as if he had nothing but respect for it. She was an incredibly useful individual and more importantly, one of the few ways to gain access to Eden. Risking to scare her away with an open recruitment attempt would have been futile, so Mephistopheles settled for their current arrangement. In the best case scenario, he would eventually manage to wear her down and have her settle down for Eden but it was not an outcome he considered likely.

Now in the morning of a new day, he was headed for Seven Heavens. Going by what Seastrider told him, the time to make a move on the cities below was either now, less it passes and gives way either to an unattractive wasteland or organizations too large to threaten successfully. Of course that would suit him just fine, Eden was enough to satisfy him and if Fallzone got her will and they’d force High Epics on the ground to bow to them he’d most likely grow to be a priority target for them to remove. Deterrence was in a similar position, given that the threat she posed made most Epics uneasy to say the least.

That left Seven Heavens as the unaligned factor in their politics. Frankly, Mephistopheles considered it unlikely that Fallzone would manage to convince Seven Heavens to take any action but he’d be dammed if she does manage to do something just because he was being idle.

Not for the first time, Mephistopheles had to stop himself from looking over his shoulder, a task he was good enough at that for someone watching him it was unnoticeable in the first place. Still, he should feel secure enough in his own city that he didn’t even had the impulse. It’s because of Deterrence absence, having the woman around helped his peace of mind. They were kindred spirits in a way, aligned on most matters of importance, but even more than that her presence was secure. It wasn’t quite the same as her ability to maneuver around trouble before it happened but the presence of Shadow Stalker in his shadow gave him at least some replacement.

His destination had been visible long before he reached it, the palace Seven Heavens was building for himself easily loomed over most of the cities other buildings. The tips of the towers were barely more than a skeleton but the parts that had already been finished, encompassing more than enough space to house the Epic, were grandiose enough to fit Seven Heavens ego. The result of stained glass and polished stone however was marvelous.

Servants fell in next to him, welcoming him and making their best attempt to avoid anything that might insult him. Demonstrating they were aware of their station in life but without being desperate enough to become an annoyance themselves. Indeed, properly molding men into servants may be Seven Heavens biggest talent. After all, few people were as dependent on others to build up their sense of self as he was.

By the time the servants lead him to their master word had already reached Seven Heavens, not that he had put much effort into preparing an reception. What little preparation he did make amounted to a chair, not quite a throne like Seven Heavens created for himself, made out of clouds that was offered to him standing in the pavilion from which the Epics surveyed the construction work.

“Mephistopheles, what brings you to me, so soon after yesterday’s event?” Seven Heavens was at the very least direct, although not displeased either.

“Convenience,” Mephistopheles said simply.

“Oh, how so?”

“I take it that Fallzone already approached you about her ideas?”

“That nonsense about taking cities on the ground? I fail to see what we’d actually get from it, although I don’t doubt those fools down there could benefit from proper guidance.”

“Wise words, indeed.”

It was about the sentiment Mephistopheles expected from Seven Heavens. Grand measures would do more to have him align with Fallzone out of protest but a subtle push could never hurt. He scanned the scaffolding until he noticed a man jumping around it, carrying huge chunks of stone on his back as if they were mere paperweights. He drew Seven Heaven’s attention to him with a gesture, “I see you’re putting Gorg to good use.”

“Nothing would be farther for me than to waste a useful power and given that most of the local construction equipment was destroyed before our ascension it’s like Calamity himself send him down to build me a humble home.”

Mephistopheles responded with a small chuckle, “Excellent. His services continue to be yours as long as he isn’t needed for pressing matters. No promises in case Deterrence lays claim, of course.”

“Naturally there’s guarantee for that woman. Let us talk about something more uplifting. I acquired a new cook, if I can interest you in a meal.”  

“Gladly.”

Edited by Edgedancer

• 2 weeks later...

Sydney 

Day 6

Apollo twisted in the air, sending a wave of fire 40 feet high at the Seven. They worked together, using Synapse's telekinesis and Darksong's screams to block and slow down the wave so Ghosthorror could phase them through it. They did not counterattack, they just stood still as Apollo launched a stream of fire that split into 7 parts. Most of them blocked it, except Moxie who stepped forward and took the fire with her face.

"Continue." Bravetitan called as Apollo fired his next attack.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adelaide

Frank was not a fan of Epics. Really, nobody who worked at the in-city train stop was. Necropathy was a sadistic devil, and his soldiers were worse. Evil devils. Unkillable evil devils.   

But as Frank prepared for the 10:30 train to arrive, coming from halfway across Australia, he wondered what the sinking feeling in his stomach was. He could see the train. The feeling got worse. 

Frank started to run moments later. Several other workers and unloaders cursed at him, a few spit. He ignored them and kept running. 

He was maybe 100 meters away from where the train would stop, screaming at the top of his lungs for people to run, when a silver blur shot past him, turned and stabbed a knife into his throat. 

Frank survived the next few seconds as the train pulled in. It exploded before it stopped, fire and pressure going right through buildings up to a quarter of a mile away. 

On a hill overlooking Adelaide, Swift materialized in a silver streak. 

He could see the mushroom cloud from here. 

He sheathed the knife he used to kill Frank Elving, then reconsidered and drew it. He was moving toward the city a moment later. 

The survivors wouldn't tell their story. 

quake.png

Melbourne, 15 Months Ago

Quakezone stood on the edge of the Eureka Skydeck. All around him was Melbourne. Skyscrapers twinkled in the light, walls of glass relfecting white in the midday sun. It was a city of modernity, a city of power, and wealth. And it was his city.

Not a day ago, his troops, his Quakers and Epics, had pacified the heart of the city, killing or recruiting the Epics and gangs that had been waging war over it. It had been easy, really. The telecommunications network had been taken over and his message of dominion broadcast all over the city. He was the Emperor of Melbourne now. He expected other Epics to dispute this, of course. But as an invincible god, how could any stand against him?

Glasstorm stood at attention behind him. Loyal from nearly the beginning, the Epic could control glass to a fine detail. He was a sensible, no-nonsense lieutenant, and as with all loyal Epics he would be generously rewarded.

Glasstorm spoke. "My lord, I hope that this move was not too hasty. I have heard rumours of other Epics that cannot be killed, such as yourself. And there are still very powerful gangs in the suburbs of the city. Perhaps we should have neutralised them before seizing control of the city proper."

Quakezone shook his head. "No, no. That would have been perceived as weak. I need these people to see me as a source of strength, as their invincible and unconquerable ruler. Caution has no place in a strong ruler's plans. This chaos and anarchy will need to be stopped, but before we can pacify the outlying regions we must-"

The Emperor of Melbourne was cut off by a scream from the room behind him. Frowning and turning, he saw one of his human guards explode into flame, a bolt of scarlet light connecting him to something out of view. As the guard screamed and fell to the ground, a blur entered the room. The blur resolved itself a moment later into the form of a young, blond woman, with spiky hair. She smiled cruelly.

Glasstorm leapt into action, pulling windows apart from either side of her and slamming them towards the intruder. She dodged them easily with her speed as the glass shattered together. Glaring at him, bolts of scarlet light shot from her eyes. But Glasstorm had prepared for such an attack, bringing a shield of glass between them. The beams melted the glass, but left Glasstorm unharmed.

Already, he was bringing in another shield. This time, the intruder fired her eye-beams, but instead of melting, the glass shield was pushed by the attack into a surprised Glasstorm, flinging him off the side of the building with a scream.

Quakezone grimaced. 

"You know, I hope he manages to save himself. He is a useful man to have around. As you likely know, I am Quakezone, Emperor of Melbourne. Now, who might you be?"

The intruder laughed. "Emperor? How melodramatic! I prefer the title of Queen of Melbourne, myself. Laserbolt is my name. And you are intruding upon my city."

"Your city, is that so?" 

"Indeed."

Quakezone smiled. "Well, I suppose we will have to settle this like proper, civilized people."

"Yes.... lets."

With that, he dived towards her, engaging his flight and preparing to punch the insolent fool into oblivion. But she was too quick, speeding to the side and firing her beams at his side. He registered the heat, but felt no pain and suffered no damage as they burnt a hole in his shirt. HE pulled up on the other side of the room, turning to her and scowling. "I just got this shirt!"

She looked surprised.

"Oh, didn't you know?" Quakezone grinned wolfishly. "There are benefits to being invulnerable, you know. I'm like Superman."

Laserbolt growled. "Superman this!" With that, she fired her laserbeams, and this time they hit his chest and pushed him with such force that he crashed through the wall and out into the open air. 

Catching himself with his flight, Quakezone charged back into the building, using his powers to crash through the wall in a different spot and destroy the room with her inside it. Concrete and dust surrounded him as he powered through the building like a rocket. As he re-entered the light once more, he pulled himself up and turned to see the gaping, smoking hole that he had left in the side of the tower. He could still here the sound of crumbling masonry. He smiled. "And so, the first challenger to my immortal throne has been put in their place. Now-"

Suddenly a beam of red light hit him, but this time he felt himself pulled by it towards the source. In his surprise it easily overwhelmed his flight as he plunged back towards an open window a few floors down from where he had last seen Laserbolt. How is she so fast!

He barely had time to think before the beam stopped and his momentum carried him straight through the window and several interior walls as well. Finally the dust settled and Quakezone groaned. That was.... a strange sensation. The Emperor slowly rose to his feet, anger rising in him. "How dare this witch challenge me so! I am a GOD!"

He heard laughter from behind him. "Hahaha! Gods die!"

He had barely spun around when another beam hit him, this time pushing him away again, sending him pummelling through several walls until he had emerged once more into the open air. Slipping away to the side, he growled and soared straight into the side of the floor below her, planning on cutting off her escape route and footing in one swoop. Walls and ceilings crumbled like paper beneath the amplified force of his impacts, and people screamed as he crushed them. Some would be his own loyal servants or soldiers- but their deaths were immaterial compared to the threat this Epic posed.

As an entire floor of the Eureka tower collapsed, Quakezone flew back to the original floor, smiling as he saw nothing but a gaping hole where Laserbolt had been standing. "Well, better to be safe than sorry." He said to himself as he began circling the building, looking for any sign of the speed Epic.

He hadn't been searching for long when suddenly he heard distant screams on the wind.

Looking down, he nearly yelped.

A massive blob of metal- the size of a building- was rolling through the streets of Melbourne's CBD. Cars and people alike were crushed and absorbed, and judging from its white hot glow and the trail of charred bodies, ground and buildings it left behind it, it was a hot blob of metal too. "Well of all the ways I expected to be challenged today, that was not one of them..."

He was just about to fly down and meet this new challenger when suddenly he felt a great force pulling him back towards the tower. "BLAST IT NOT AGAI-" He roars were cut off as he once more smashed into the building, which was beginning to groan under the stress of the repeated impacts it had received. 

Hours later, with the Eureka tower and numerous other buildings already collapsed into piles of rubble, the three High Epics fought.

Foundry swept his wave of metal towards Quakezone and Laserbolt, and the two looked at each other in alarm before flying and running to either side to dodge it. They narrowly escaped as the wall of molten metal descended upon the ruins they had been fighting among. Foundry floated above it all, suspended by whirling pools of metal, expression unreadable behind his firefighter's mask. Laserbolt, unseen by the metal Epic, fired her beams at him. But these were not heat beams- they were beams of freezing energy, sucking the heat out of anything they touched. They impacted Foundry, and within seconds he had become a frosted statue.

Laserbolt smiled, and Quakezone frowned. Surely it couldn't have been so-

Before the thought had even finished, Foundry grew white hot, and the frost covering him evaporated into steam. He turned towards the stunned Laserbolt, and with a gesture sent a spout of metal towards her that she barely dodged. 

Quakezone snarled. "He is made of molten metal and you tried to freeze him!?"

The trio fought for two more days. Their fight was cataclysmic, with Laserbolt's cutting beams, Quakezone's powerful explosions and Foundry's immense waves of metal destroying building after building, and bringing down Melbourne's mighty skyscrapers.

It eventually ended, but not before thousands upon thousands of innocent civilians and bystanders had died.

Western Australia

9 Months Ago:

Afterglow's convoy drove down the broken road. Dust trailed behind them as they rode past numerous abandoned and burnt buildings. "How does any Intel from somewhere this desolate?" Afterglow mused, staring out the window from her private quarters in the back of the bus.

The buildings gradually became cleaner and more hospitable as they neared the center of the town. The bus began to slow. A mercenary peeked his head through the curtain. "We're at your destination, Miss." Afterglow stood up and walked towards the man. "You think I'm foolish enough to not notice myself?" She snapped at him, forcing down the urge to kill the man on the spot.

"Leave me, I have to get ready. Tell the bastard in charge to bring his people to us, an epic wants to have a chat." Four days. Four whole days without killing. How long had it been since that hadn't been a problem? Keep calm a little longer, she reminded herself, you need the rage to win.

She began her usual routine: oiling her blade, checking her pouches and pockets were properly filled, and cleaning her revolver. Once finished, she slid the machete into its sheath and holstered her revolver.

Completing the last step of covering her hands in chalk dust, she pulled back the curtain and walked to the front of the gutted greyhound. The man in the driver's seat opened the door, and she stepped out into the sweltering town square. Standing near her bus were a dozen of her mercs, grasping their guns tensely. Behind them was her small grouping of varying vehicles, all covered in some degree of armor plating and solar panels. Opposite her was a small group of nervous townspeople, carrying aging firearms and an assortment of various sharp and heavy objects. The man in the middle of them was a beast, at least 8 feet tall, muscles bulging on his bare arms, wielding a hefty concrete pillar. Either side looked prepared to start firing at so much as a twitch.

"Goliath" Afterglow growled "I can't say I'm entirely pleased to meet you"

"Who are you, girl, to be in my town?" The giant's voice boomed, carrying across the whole of the square.

"First I'll make you bleed, then I'll make you die. Once I finish you, I can take all the spoils I want." Insanity twinkled in Afterglow's eyes, she reached for the machete at her hip. The bearded titan chuckled "I've always enjoyed a chance to prove my strength, this should be fast enough." He waved his spare hand backwards. "Charisma, move the serfs away, I can kill this one on my own." The lone man looked horribly out of place, dressed in a fine suit with a glistening gun. He made a gesture and his crudely armed guards moved back, the townspeople following behind them.

Afterglow coated herself in speed and durability, outlining her in orange light, then yellow. Goliath shot towards her at immense speed, covering the 50 feet between them in under 3 seconds. Afterglow threw herself out of the way, colored light trailing behind her. Taking advantage of Goliath's surprise by her speed, she reached into a pocket and threw a fistful of marbles at him. Being enchanced by a speed aura they became a functional shotgun blast, causing the man to stagger. The spray pocked his clothing with rips and caused blood to ooze lazily, but all of the marbles fell to the ground. "Wonderful" She thought "He's far more durable than I'd thought." Beating her wings, Afterglow rose into the air, far out of the man's reach. Once she reached high enough, she curled the wings close to her body and dropped headfirst like a rock, sword pointed down at her target. Goliath took his turn to surprise her, smashing his fist directly into her torso while she plunged. Searing pain rushed through Afterglow's body, one of her wings clearly broken in several places. She went flying backwards from the force of the impact, crumpling upon hitting the ground. Seeing Goliath advance quickly with pillar in hand, she tried to force herself up. Not fast enough, Goliath rammed her head on, throwing her even farther back. This time, she rammed her blade partially into the ground while falling, before deactivating it's sharpness halfway through. When Goliath tried to smash her against the ground, he found Afterglow's sword hilt blocking her body. Afterglow rolled away from the hilt and sprung up. She drove her sharpness-enchanced nails directly into his eye, clawing at it viciously. Goliath let out a scream of pure, rage-filled agony, thrashing around violently as Afterglow pushed off of his chest. She sprinted around him rapidly as he failed around, leaving a red glow wherever her feet touched. In moments, Goliath stepped on one of the traps and toppled to the ground, his entire foot turning to ash as his leg caught flames.

"You're insolent enough to think me a little girl?" Afterglow wrenched her sword out of the pavement. "Now you get to see firsthand how wrong you are. Consider yourself lucky I don't have more time to spend with you." Goliath attempted to lash out and grab her, but Afterglow sliced his arm off at the elbow, green trailing behind the blade. Joy flooded through her, finally being able to have fun again. Everything seemed a shade brighter and slightly more vibrant. "I can still kill you!" Goliath roared as he attempted to push himself up on the pillar in his other hand. "Say it all you want, it won't come true" A manic grin split Afterglow's face as she lopped off his other hand, waiting several seconds then moving up the arm in chunks. Viscera sprayed from the ruined limb, pooling around the brute as he screamed in agony. Afterglow sighed "It truly is a shame I'm in a hurry to finish this fast" Taking her sword she severed the man's head from his body then kicked it, letting it roll towards the crowd.

The townspeople stared upon her with varying looks, some horrified while others in total awe. Jonah, her second-in-command ran up to her. "Ma'am, are you alright, you seemed to get hit quite hard out there!"

"Don't bother me now Jonah, you can't understand how fulfilling that was." Insanity glinted in Afterglow's eyes as she stepped near the fellow Epic, watching the man sweat slightly. As she'd expected, the man felt far too familiar, like a best friend or relative, someone you'd unconditionally trust. His immaculate beauty didn't help her foster the healthy dose of paranoia needed. I know I can't trust him, but Calamity, I want to.

"Don't worry, Charisma, I'm not going to kill you. You've seen my power, I was wondering if you'd be interested in a business proposal."

"What type of proposal might you be implying, M'lady?" Does he have any flaws? He seems impossibly immaculate.

"We aren't exactly in the most hospitable of situations, and someone always needs mercenaries. Your . . . interesting skillset seemed useful on a aquiring others. Besides, what would happen of you refused?" She winked at the well-dressed man and spun her sword in one hand.

"I suppose I could come to agreement with you."

That's probably for the best, now round up anyone who feels they're worth their salt. We move out in half an hour, and I've made sure to set up a room for your on one of the buses."

Charisma made a gesture with his hand and the entire crowd silenced. "Anyone who would like to accompany me on a journey for prosperity, please gather your things. Be back in half an hour, we'll be waiting.

After the time had passed, Afterglow had more than half the village milling around in the main square, waiting to depart. Following the commands she had given him, Charisma sorted the people into groups by age. Charisma cleared his throat "Alright, here's how it will go: anyone between the ages of 16 and 48 will be allowed to leave with us. The rest of you have been paired into groups of ten. Last one standing joins us. You run, we shoot. You don't fight, we shoot. Don't feel sorry for killing them, those who die are inferior anyway. Best of all, you get my loyalty if you survive." He flashed a grin to the crowd. Shockingly, only a few even looked panicked by what he'd said. Most non-epics found resisting his will incredibly challenging. The soliders threw a single fist-sized rock into each group of ten.

A woman in her early 40's struck first, picking up the rock and dashing it against a man's skull, making it crack like an eggshell. In moments, most of the other groups joined in. But still, a handful refused to participate. Afterglow yanked out her revolver and shot an old man in the head. Several mercanaries followed along, giving the people the motivation they needed. Afterglow took in the massacre, the carnage making her feel practically euphoric. If only I could do this every day, that would be the life. She thought. I may as well enjoy it while it lasts.

In the end, Afterglow left the desolate little town with 300 recruits and an epic, although many wouldn't last very long. She needed to get more before the fireworks truly started between the Fiefdoms of the stronger epics. Time telling, she would.

Edited by Chandrian

Eden/Hobart, Day 6

Fallzone stepped into Foodstock’s shop. The counter in the welcoming area was maned by a man and a woman, one of which would escort a paying customer to keep them entertained until they found someone more to their tastes. Given that her visit today had been announced in advance, the man took her side and led the way to Foodstock’s chamber.

First they had to step through the main room, filled like always with a subtle mix of scents. Today the smell of licorice seemed to be the primary one. The merchandise was easy to tell apart from the customers, even despite their form fittingly tailored uniforms and demure behavior but simply because of the almost other worldly touch of beauty Foodstock gave them. In many ways this was her art gallery, displaying some of her finest pieces. This gallery however encouraged touching the exhibits.

Shopping could wait however. They moved past the stage and entered a waiting area. Fallzone settled on a couch with a table in front of it. The table was filled with an assortment of food. Deciding on a bowl of strawberries coated in chocolate, Fallzone formed a cylinder of altered gravity that made the bowl gently glide into her hand. Taking a bite out of the guilt free food, she waved at her escort with her foot. Well trained as he was, he kneeled down in front of her, untied her boots and gave her feet a massage. At east Foodstock knew how to make the wait pleasant.

After a short stay in bliss, Foodstock finally emerged into the room, dressed in not much more than a nightgown and holding a riding crop. Behind her followed Pillow and Talk, the two works Foodstock was most proud of and kept purely for her personal use. Rumors had it that she fancied them because they were Epics she somehow managed to get her hands on. Rumors Foodstock spread herself without actually delivering proof for it and somehow managing to shut up the two people that could actually confirm the claims.

Foodstock ran a finger along Pillow’s chin, who promptly took place on the couch across from Fallzone, offering her lap as a seat for her owner. Pillow was the woman of Foodstock’s two favorites and her long brown hair and brown eyes were likely the only part of her luscious body Foodstock wasn’t responsible for. After seating herself on her Pillow Foodstock began to talk, “I’m sorry for the wait. I unexpectedly got my hands on some new merchandise and though it would be best to break him in first of all,” as she spoke she ran a hand across Pillow’s face, who in return caressed her owner’s body, “I hope you didn’t have to wait too long?”
Fallzone gave a dismissive wave, “Eh, the wait wasn’t that bad. Just let us get to business now.”

“Of course, pleasing is my profession after all.”

“Wonderful,” Fallzone leaned forward, stepping on the hand of the man giving her a feet massage, “first just tell me what you think about Seven Heavens. Don’t bother mincing words; I can’t stand the Slontz myself.”

“Seven Heavens…” Foodstock absentmindedly pushed her thumb into Pillow’s mouth, “he responds easy enough to flattery and the like but he’s too proud of himself to actually pay for a woman, which obviously makes business impossible. There’s a reason you’re my favorite customer, dear.”

“I think flattery should do well enough. I want you to make him go along with my plan.”

“You mean for taking the cities on the ground?”
“Of course, what else would I want from that Slontz?” Fallzone spread her arms, “Now taking control of other cities, that holds something for all of us.”

“Mhmmm, the prospect is certainly alluring but-“

“But just keeping my good graces alone would be enough for you, wouldn’t it? Just imagine if you didn’t have somebody actually important looking out for you.”

Fallzone watched Foodstock squirm under her gaze. She did manage to keep a somewhat uneasy smile on her face but ultimately both of them were aware that Fallzone could crush her under her boots and nobody would actually call her out on it. True, Fallzone enjoyed the benefits from giving patronage to Foodstock’s business but having a minion tasked entirely with finding ways to please her did not extend towards letting her disobey.

“Of course,” Foodstock said, having regained her composure, “Anything else I should try to push him towards?”

“No but feel free to earn yourself some additional goodwill, if the situation gives you the chance,” then Fallzone gave the man kneeling in front of her a sharp kick to the stomach. “My boots. Now that I’ve come here I might as well enjoy myself.”

Edited by Edgedancer

New South Wales, Mungo

Blackhoof takes grey

Bladestorm takes red

Katherine looked around, seeing nothing and no-one. Suddenly Jetpack called out from above, and began zooming towards the ground. Then she saw what he had seen- several military-looking types emerging from the bushes, muscled and tough.

She was on guard- were these the mercenaries, or nomads, or bandits? This whole area was crawling with them apparently. Jetpack likely had the same thought, and he landed in a burst of dust nearby. He held his hands, deadly weapons, out in front of him, and smiled menacingly.

Katherine cleared her throat, raising her hands in a conciliatory manner. “Hello, uh, my name is Katherine Howards, and my companion here is Jetpack. Who might you fine gentlemen be?”

4-7 looked on as they approached the two employers. He assumed that's what they were-no one would come out to this little backwater, built almost entirely in the year since calamities rising without wanting to purchase their services.

Of course, they might also be here to kill the pentagon. But that was what the rifles they all shouldered were for.

As they walked up, the woman-katherine-offered a greeting, asking who they were. 4-7 stood slightly behind and to the left of 4-1, willing to let him do the negotiating.

“Depends who's asking,” replied 4-1, and waited for a reply.

Katherine smiled, worried. Surely these are the mercenaries, right? They wouldn’t be so bold in the presence of an Epic if they weren’t professionals at this combat thing, would they?

She replied, “Well, we are representatives of…. A potential client for the services of a mercenary group we heard was spotted nearby. Let’s just say that we have a problem with a certain Epic and a group of bandits, a problem we would rather not deal with ourselves. Perhaps, for the right price, this mercenary group could… uh, take them out for us? Of course, that would require you knowing where these guns-for-hire are. Would you happen to know how I can contact them?”

4-7 watched as the woman carefully suggested they weren’t members of the pentagon, but rather a few random bandits.

Clever, he thought. That implies that we don’t look efficient enough to be real members, which will make 4-1 more eager for a deal.

However, 4-7 knew something the lady didn’t.4-1 wasn’t cunning enough to understand what she had said, aside from the word “price”.

“Well, mam, this little group is the mercenaries you're talking about. So why don’t we try to reach an agreement?

Katherine smiled and nodded. “Excellent, I had thought as much. Well, we have a great deal to offer. Our master, Wendigo, has an entire city under her control, and its resources at her disposal. I will give you the details of the mission, and you can name your price.” She took a deep breath.

“Firstly, you will need to find an Epic by the name of Bushfire. She is a pyrokinetic, but she can change the weather too- she is fond of making large bushfires. We don’t think she will be very dangerous up close, though. Serving her are a gang of raiders- crude bandits and thugs for the most part, fond of dressing in leather like they were from a Mad Max movie. We have seen at least one other Epic in her service- a tough strength Epic named MaxiMuscle.” She rolled her eyes as she pronounced the idiotic name. Epics, eh?

She continued. “She shouldn’t be too difficult to track down, her gang tends to move in a path of fire and destruction around western victoria, leaving great piles of ash and dust in their wake. Once you find them, you will need to kill each and every one of them. No prisoners- not even the Epics. Wendigo wants to make an example of them. You will cut off Bushfire’s head, and bring it to the city of Wendigo as proof that you succeeded, and then you will be paid. Now…. what is your price?”

4-7 turned suddenly as he noticed the sound of feet moving rapidly behind him. His fellow pentagons did the same, swinging their rifles up as they noticed the newcomer.

Another employer? In the same day? he thought, surprised. It was lucky to get one a week, much less 2 in one day.

As the man drew closer, 4-7 realized that it was one of the pentagon, rather than another epic employer. From the looks of it, he was winded, which meant he had likely gone almost double a regular mans sprint for almost the full 40 kilometres from camp. 4-7 could actually see the dust speckled over the grey camo suit from moving so fast.

“4-1, SIR,” the soldier shouted, breathless. “THE ORDER TO ATTACK SHARPTON IS IN. ALL UNITS ARE WANTED BACK AT BASE IMMEDIATELY!”

“We’ll be right with you, soldier. Mam. we may have to get back to you on this,”replied 4-1, turning to katherine.

Katherine’s face fell, and Jetpack looked angry. “Now just wait one minute! I flew all the way to New South goddamn Wales to meet with you guys, and you brush us off like-”

Katherine cut him off, “Jetpack, sir, please.”

Jetpack scowled, and stormed off. Katherine turned to the mercenary. “Very well, we will return here in one week if we still have need of your services. Good day.” She nodded, and as the mercenaries rushed off back to their base, she strapped herself to a grumbling Jetpack and they flew off.

1d85713b348e308b915e4cbe339338eee8e0d866

Day 4

Darwin, Heartroom

quartz-crystal.png

Tensions in the city were rising, Crystalvision had noted. They noticed the increased number of knights patrolling. Ivystorm swore and she used her power to make the tree roots rumble. Her royal displeasure will have been noticed. Many people lived on and around the roots. It took some energy to move the tree, but it wasn’t that difficult.

“What was that supposed to be?” some thing asked. Ivystorm glared at the thing.

“Are you questioning me?” Ivystorm asked.

“Um, no, ma’am,” he muttered, recognizing his mistake. His fatal mistake. She was in a merciful mood, so all she did was make a vine from the wall stab him through his stomach. Whoopsies. Not in a fatal place. Still, it’d make him regret that.

“Any other questions?” she asked. “Alright then.”

Silence.

Chatter’s voice, annoying and whiny, popped up in Ivystorm’s head. Ivystorm was about to decline the Chatroom when Crystalvision’s voice came on over the Chatroom.

Crystalvision: A block of residential houses were set on fire today.

Ivystorm: I assume that the fire was contained.

Crystalvision: You’re right, it was. But people are speculating an Epic.

Ivystorm: So what?

Pain’s voice cut into the conversation.

Pain: From what we can tell, the people are right. I talked to one of the lorists that Crystalvision caught earlier today.  

Ivystorm muttered a string of curses under her breath and did what she did when annoyed. She used the vine that she’d skewered the plaything with and hung him out over the town. He screamed and that made her feel finally in control.

Crystalvision: You did always have a sense of drama. *amused*

Pain: What did she do?

A picture of the screaming thing popped up in the Chatroom.

Pain: *cackles*
Crystalvision: I didn’t learn much, but as far as I can tell, it’s not a new Epic. We’d see more signs of destruction if that was the case.
Ivystorm: So, what is it? Outside Epic?  

Crystalvision: Don’t go inquisition-style on us, but…

Ivystorm: Unnecessary dramatic pause. Shut it.

Crystalvision: Fine. We think it was one of us. And we don’t think it’s the only one.

logo-md.png

Day 6
Unknown Territory

“I told you the exact places you guys needed to hit in order to make Ivystorm up the amount of knights being recruited,” complained Deviation. “What else do you need?”

“What I need is for that idiot to shut up,” muttered Titania. Bloodmoon glared at her. She sighed and told Deviation what they actually needed. Some more numbers run on the amount of plants they needed among the new knights.

It was all pure chance, of course. He wasn’t a seer. Still Deviation was one of the best calculators ever. He had increased intellect when it came to calculations.

“Where is Shadowreaper?” Bloodmoon asked Unknown.

“It’s unknown,” said Unknown.

“Seriously?” Deviation muttered.

“Of course I didn’t hear that, did I?” Titania asked, as she made the metal in Deviation’s chair twitch. “You want to test us?”

“Fine, I’m sorry,” Deviation replied.

“Good boy,” Titania said. Bloodmoon rose to his feet. Unknown looked at him, moving his head in a question.

“I’m going to hit the last position,” Bloodmoon replied, in response to Unknown’s unasked question. “Can you make me Unseen?”

“Yes,” Unknown said. Bloodmoon wasn’t sure what Unknown did when he made knowledge Unseen. Some kind of illusion, yet he could cloak from all forms of spying. Bloodmoon saw his arms bleed to grey, then turn into fire. A fire Epic disguise.

Some playthings might be able to see through it. Unknown said that the farther people got away from him, the more likely it was that a plaything could see through them. Still, Crystalvision would have trouble seeing through it.

Sophie’s House
Sophie, a short brunette, rubbed her dirty glasses with a dirtier cloth. The glasses were cracked a few times. There wasn’t much demand for glasses anymore. Those with vision issues generally died pretty quickly. Unless they were Epics.

“Sophie, my Sophie!” Carl called. “Come!”

Sophie scurried after her fiance. They’d been engaged for three years now. Once everything got back to normal, Carl said, they would have a big wedding.

“Yes, Carl,” she asked. He pointed at the mess in the kitchen of their small house. “I’m sorry, I’ll get right to it.”

“Worthless,” he muttered.

“I know, I know,” she said, hurrying to clean it up. She didn’t like it when Carl got angry with her. It wasn’t his fault- she just pushed his wrong buttons.

Always my fault.

Sophie rubbed the spot where her engagement ring used to be. Instead of a real ring, now she wore a string. She’d had to sell it. Otherwise they would’ve starved. He hadn’t seen it like that. She supposed it had meant a lot to Carl.

She looked out the window, wistfully. He hadn’t been letting her spend a lot of time out there by herself, ever since she sold their engagement ring for a fruit branch. It wasn’t safe. There were Epics, of course.

A Squadron of knights marched by. They weren’t quite human. Not quite Epic either. Most of the humans weren’t allowed to ask what gave them their inhuman speed, grace, or strength. Not unless one became a knight themselves.

And Sophie would never be allowed to become one. She’d heard that their Queen and Empress of Darwin, Ivystorm, was opening knight recruitment in small numbers again. Ever since the string of accidents and deaths.

“Sophie, stop dreaming, and clean the darn kitchen,” Carl’s voice shouted, bringing her back to reality. “I love you, you know!”

“Love you too,” Sophie said as she washed the pans. She smelled something smoky in the air. She looked around and saw a flicker of light. Fire. Sophie panicked as the smoke grew thicker and thicker in the air. She looked around, frantically searching for some water. She yelled out for Carl and he running in.

“What the hell are you doing, Sophie?” he shouted, as the smoke between them got thicker. He pushed his way closer to the fire to pull her away. She felt a scorching pain rise up her legs. She was being burnt. There was fire.

The door frame crashed behind them as they ran out of the building. Their entire house was on fire. Sophie started crying. “Don’t get hysterical,” Carl snapped as he held her. “Oh, my, I’m sorry. You know I’m working on changing, you just need to make an effort as well.”

Sophie’s tears dried up. She knew there was something wrong with the way Carl got angry at her, but she couldn’t determine what it is.

One of the knights -- a woman -- stepped away from her Squadron to talk to them.

“Did you see anyone who might’ve done this?” she asked.

“Wasn’t it an accident?” Carl asked.

“From what we figure, this was a planned attack. The entire system is being overloaded with seven attacks at once and one of the Squadrons is missing.”

“The system?” Sophie asked.

“None of a civ’s job,” said the knight.

“I don’t want to be a… civ…” Sophie said, stumbling over the word that the knight used. “We’re going to become knights.”

Carl looked at her with alarm and she knew there would be punishment for this later. Still, this way, they’d have government supplied rations and enhanced… something. The rumors about knights were full of confusing information.

“Are you sure?” she asked.

“Uh, yes,” she said, mumbling. “I’m Sophie. This is Carl.”

“Kestrel,” she said, sticking her hand out. “Go to Worldbringer’s Tower at eight o’ clock sharp, tomorrow. Tell them that Kestrel from Squadron 89 sent you.”

The Branches

Twitter_bird_icon2-100x100.png

“Are you sure that’s what they want?” Birdrider asked, perplexed. “They’re okay with it, I mean?”

“I know this is Crystalvision. Who else would it be?” Starshatter replied. She held up the piece of crystal with the message carved into it.

“Is it official or is it from their blackmail?” Birdrider asked, perching dangerously on the edge of a long branch. The wind was noisy up here, so it canceled out a lot of the noise. Not like that would matter -- Crystalvision would obviously know everything they were talking about.

“Official,” Starshatter replied as she took a sip of coffee. Espresso Coffee, aka, the best coffee in the world. Birdrider didn’t even like coffee before she tasted the perfections that Espresso could create.

“Couldn’t she see anything she wanted? I don’t see why she’s having me scout out some other Epics.” Birdrider complained. “I don’t like going away. I’ll miss you.

“I don’t know, something about not being able to see everything at once. Probably out of her range. Or maybe Ivystorm thinks I’m part of the rebel faction and is trying to get me killed.”

“Ivystorm wants allies,” Birdrider sighs. “Spies are not signs of allyship. Envoys are.”

“They want Melbourne.”

“Why Melbourne? Ivystorm hasn’t been too interested in them. Besides, it’s even farther away than her previous favorite city.” Birdrider climbed down the branch and kissed Starshatter on the cheek.

“I don’t know. I guess she’s tired of being alone. Wants someone to impress and Adelaide hasn’t exactly been forthcoming.” Starshatter held Birdrider’s hand. “I’ll hold down the court.”

“Will you be able to suffer through those two blackmailing you?” Birdrider asked, fretting. “And am I going to be alone? We don’t even have that much information on the status of politics in Melbourne! Not since Crystalvision took that trip to see if she could see there if she got close enough and who knows if it’s changed since then!”

“Trust me, Birdrider. They’ll love you. Just like I do, Bri.”

“I told you not to use my real name,” Birdrider fretted. Bri was a name that held too many memories. A weak girl. Only two years ago, Bri had a beautiful boyfriend and a family who loved her. She’d had friends who’d cared for her. And then they destroyed her. After that, she killed them.  

Killed because of her secrets. Killed for the vulnerability Bri had showed them. She’d told them who she really was and in exchange, they’d broken all their promises. Her boyfriend said he didn’t matter to her, just because she liked girls as well. Her family kicked her out onto the streets. Her friends became indifferent.

Starshatter cared about Birdrider. Not about Bri, a weak girl in the closet. And where are you now? asked a voice which sounded a lot like Rex. Her ex who’d almost killed Bri and then Birdrider had repaid the favor. Except she didn’t ‘almost.’ She did.

“I know, I know. I’m sorry. You can call me Trinity, just once, if you want.”

“Trinity?” Birdrider asked. “Who’s that?”

“My name when I was weak,” Starshatter said, voice filled with contempt. Anger. Not fear. Birdrider supposed she did sound angry when she talked about Rex.

“Thank you,” Birdrider told Starshatter and they embraced.

The Coffee Tanks

12268585.Icon.130.130.C.png

Espresso, Tearshatter, and Heather sat around, sipping coffee as Espresso filled up the tanks. They were members of the Unimportant Epics Club. Chatter should’ve been part of their group, but he was too obsessed about Pain to join their meetings.

“I wish I had better powers,” Espresso complained.

“Hey, I wish my powers were as tasty as yours. All I can do is explode some tears. Big whoop. Yes, I’m a military Epic, but it’s not like some of the more powerful Epics can’t kill large groups of people easier than I can.” Tearshatter ran her fingers through her ice blue bob.

“Where is Deviation, anyway?” Heather asked.

“Too busy with his new bffs. I heard they’re planning something,” Espresso sighed. “He’s becoming important. Maybe we should vote him out of the club.”

“But then we’re down to three. I miss when Birdrider and Starshatter hung out with us,” Tearshatter noted.

“Starshatter was always kind of important, as an electricity Epic. She was just trailing after Birdrider like a puppy with a crush,” Heather said.

The three of them laughed.

“Birdrider’s leaving for Melbourne tonight,” Espresso noted. “Maybe we can get the gossip about her from Starshatter.”

“You packing her espresso?” Heather asked. “I wish I could make good stuff like you. All I can do is make flowers grow. Like a boring version of Ivystorm. I’m surprised she hasn’t hung me up on the tree yet for being worthless.”

“You can make poisons and potions from your flowers, Heather,” Tearshatter reminded her.

“Yes, my illicit drug-making operation is going to score any worth points. Besides, they’re the least effective poisons, like, ever.”

“We’ve used them to kill Epics who were too difficult before. Remember Alpha?” All three of them nodded.

“Boy, he was a creep. He tried to pick up every single female Epic and thing here. I’m surprised Ivystorm had the restraint not to kill him in his Rending,” Espresso sighed. “I wish I could’ve dumped a bucket of hot coffee on his head.”

“It was you who offered the coffee that we used to poison him with,” Tearshatter pointed out. “All I did was give it to him.”

“And have him look down your shirt like fifteen times,” snorted Heather. A flower bloomed on her crown of vines.

“What a creep,” Espresso added. “It was probably because nobody cared about us.”

“When he did It to Birdrider, I thought she’d bite his head off!” Tearshatter laughed. “Ah, entitled slontzes. Thought I’d left them behind when I became Epic. I don’t miss him.”

“Nope,” the other two said at once.

Worldrbinger’s Tower

“Commander Kierra,” said Kestrel, saluting as she came up to Kierra. At the moment, Kestrel was a Gene.

“Yes, Kestrel?” Kierra asked. She must’ve been a Gene -- there was no way that someone not using their Worldbringer ability would be able to remember Kestrel’s name. She might be one of only a handful of female knights who were in positions of power, but she was forgettable.

“I’ve put together a report on the incident down on McMinn St. Speaking of that incident, I found two new recruits while I was there.”

“New recruits?” Kierra asked, narrowing her eyes.

“Two of the people whose house burned down. I didn’t interview them -- I thought that might be a job for a Gene and I was a Tineye at the moment.”

“Good. Names?”

“Carl and Sophie. They’re fiances, so I suspect splitting them up into different Squadrons would be more effective.”

“Yes, that would be good. Speaking of which, ever since recruitment testings relaxed, we’re finding ourselves swamped. Usually, the specified trainers would be on the training duty, but since there are so many of them…”

“You want me on training duty? Look, Kierra, I’m one of the best soldiers you have,” Kestrel protested.

“That’s not what I was asking. Squadleader Connor has been moved to training duty. You’ve been promoted to Squadleader of 89. One of those newbies of yours, if they pass the interview, can be put on your Squadron.”

“Dang,” Kestrel said. She breathed in and out, excited. She was in command of her Squadron, finally. Ever since their battle with the immortal a few days ago, the fate of their Squadron had been in limbo. The dead knights had been replaced with veterans.

Speaking of that… “Is this because of the deaths under his command?”

“Look, you guys fought an immortal and I’m told the reason that the rest of them aren’t dead is because of your quick thinking. That’s enough to put you in charge. And besides. You’ve earned this.”

“Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me. It’s hardly undeserved. However, the other knights might not take so fondly to your promotion.” Kierra’s voice was filled with something like fear. Kestrel had an inkling about what she meant. Kierra was no stranger to violence, after all.

“They think it’s undeserved? Why?”

“From a woman to another woman, I’d say you have a pretty good idea why.”

“For Calamity’s sake-- they’re really that immature?” Kestrel swore. “Really that annoyed for a woman being in charge of them? I’ve dealt with them before. I’ll keep dealing.”

“Good, Kestrel.”

“Thank you, Commander Kierra,” Kestrel said, saluting. “Anything else, or should I go inform my new Squadron?”

“No, that’s it.” Kierra turned away and climbed up the stairs into Worldbringer’s chambers. Kestrel thought she looked afraid.

Kestrel turned to leave when Worldbringer came up the stairs onto that floor. She bowed to him, as would be required. She still didn’t like him -- Epics were always slightly scary. She respected him, but not as she respected Kierra.

Kierra was the real hero. If Kestrel was in her position, she’d have killed herself or him by now. He must be threatening her or her family.

“Kierra,” he said, walking towards Kestrel. Kestrel stood up, shaking her head.

“She went upstairs,” Kestrel said, embarrassed. “My lord.” Kestrel headed downstairs. He was weird. Oh well. She ran into a few other knights and they mostly ignored her. Soon, she found her way back to the barracks and gathered up her new Squadron.

She was ready for this.

Collab between Voidus and Blackhoof

Laserbolt tried to contain her excitement. This idea…. It was genius. How had it not occurred to her before? Quakezone would be furious, he might see it as an act of war, but she could smooth him over.

The emissary spoke, surprising her. “Well there are certain... advantages to be had from forming an alliance with somewhere with a slightly more stable population."

"After all, losing so many people must be damaging to your workforce no?"

Laserbolt thought before replying, but the brilliance of her plan was distracting her.

“Well,” She finally replied. “It was quite disruptive at first. But we each got our districts in order within a few months. Now despite a few less mouths to feed Tribourne is a prosperous and well-functioning city. We even have time for sports, just like the old country!” She gestured at the bloody melee in the arena, smirking.

“How, may I ask, did Adelaide fair once the supply lines and logistics collapsed?”

Legolas looked back with a deadpan expression before replying.

“I don’t have much to compare it to.” He began honestly. “Food was still pretty available, most of the damage in the state happened at the city itself not the farmland. We lost the power plant once we stopped getting gas supplies but people managed to get by.”

Remembering that time accurately was somewhat difficult to Legolas, the time before he’d become an Immortal was… murky. Pleasant in a way he supposed, but devoid of purpose.

“Severance took over the military pretty quickly so there was no shortage of arms and ammunition either. After the initial period of difficulty industry got back on track pretty quickly. I suppose having an unkillable policing force capable of murdering the entire city might provide people with some incentives to get back to work.” He finished with a thoughtful tone.

Providing the city with resources was not something he’d been concerned with. The Immortals were more than provided for, and from what he’d heard from other Immortals there were plans to more than provide for the rest of the city. But that wasn’t the sort of information he’d reveal to someone who was at best a tenuous ally.

Laserbolt nodded thoughtfully. Hmmm, I should be wary of such a well-organised and united ally. Once I unify Tribourne, I will need to begin finding out how to circumvent this “unkillable” army of Necropathy’s.

She turned around, and waved for an attendant. A servant rushed to her, leaning to here whatever orders she had for him. “Bring me Windstorm.”

The servant nodded and rushed to obey.

She turned to the emissary. “The idea that I mentioned is thus; I have too many people to feed. What is the solution? Less people. Killing them would be a waste, but if I can “encourage” them to move to Quakezone and Foundry’s territories their resources will be strained. Just the useless leeches- the unemployed, beggars, vagabonds, raucous gang members, that sort of mud. And to liven up my people, I will force some of the miscreants to fight each other for the right to remain in my lands. Genius, isn’t it?” She laughed lightly.

Attempting to be respectful Legolas smiled meekly at the joke. Indeed it was a reasonable solution for those who were just a drain on resources, but then if the city wasn’t so wasteful there wouldn’t be any drainages in the first place.

Severance and Necropathy knew what to do with idle hands, stick a gun in them and train them how to use it appropriately. And if they refused, send an Immoral to give them a taste of the price of refusal. Those who tasted a hint of the black marks pain rarely gave any reason to need to be inflicted with it a second time.

Still, Adelaide had no competition anymore so perhaps there were factors he hadn’t considered behind Laserbolts decisions.

“You’re not concerned that they might catch on? If they return them, particularly the violent members wouldn’t it cause problems?”

Laserbolt nodded. “Yes, that will be an issue, but I’m confident my military can close down my borders. We already have checkpoints in place- we just don’t usually discourage people from crossing them.”

As the fight in the arena drew to a close, the servant returned with Windstorm. Gesturing to the Adelaide emissary, Laserbolt said, “It was an honour to show you our games, but now I must consult with my general. This guard will have you driven back to your rooms.” Dismissed, the emissary took his leave and Laserbolt began preparations for her plan.

Melbourne

Twitter_bird_icon2-100x100.png
Birdrider was exhausted by the time she saw the triangular pillars. They had three sides. They really liked the number three, here in Melbourne. Birdrider wasn't sure if they'd renamed the city yet. 

She landed on one of the pillars, flapping her wings to slow her gentle descent. It had been a while since she'd gone on a long flight like this. She'd been flying all day and night, with only sips of an Espresso coffee to help keep her awake. She had let herself have one cup of mocha to keep her awake, but the big barrels of it were for diplomacy. 

She knew that Ivystorm used the most delicious coffee in the world to help ease diplomatic tensions. Despite large portions of it being produced, the supply was heavily controlled. Only the most powerful playthings would ever get a single sip. It was better than a drug. Birdrider knew because she'd almost gotten hooked on heroin when she was a teen. 

Almost. 

She'd had a bit of a wild youth. Still was wild. Starshatter had no idea what she'd gotten into, that beautiful Epic. Birdrider didn't know much about the past of Trinity, the thing, but it was surely much cleaner than Birdrider. 

Birdrider swooped down into the city. Not many hawks around, so she got some attention. She saw a squadron of guards -- well, they looked like guards. Nothing like the graceful knights in Darwin. It was so weird, not having a huge tree towering over the city. She'd gotten used to it, ever since the Darwin Tree had grown years ago. 

No cover. Well, barely any cover. If she had to fly, she wouldn't be able to blend into the tree. Good thing she had the ability to morph into any type of bird. 

She landed, in front of the guards. 

"Where is the leader of this city?" she asked. "I am a diplomat from Darwin. Take me to your leader." 

She morphed into her human form. Her body creaked and groaned, muscles aching as her bones grew heavier and solid. She felt herself so heavy and dragged to the ground, just as she always did right after a morph. Morphing was a pain. Not very painful, but still really annoying. 

"Yes, miss," said the guards, sweating. "Um, what are those barrels?" 

The three large barrels of coffee dropped around her. 

"A gift, from Espresso. How long has it been since you have had coffee?" 

"Ages," said one, her eyes watering. 

"Too bad. It's not for you," Birdrider stated. She giggled at her reaction. "Oh, come on, you think just any guard would get a sip of the perfect coffee? Just bring me to the leader." 

"Right away," she said, wiping away her tears. Birdrider found herself escorted to a waiting room. The guards carried the barrels. Birdrider didn't actually have the ability to insta-kill them, but it was nice being treated as if she could. She tried to mimic the arrogant air of an invincible Epic. 

She drank half of her cup of coffee, savoring every single flavorful sip. Her energy restored itself. Her body was rolling with action and excitement. She needed the other half to get home, but that was important for now, because a sleepy Epic was a dead Epic. Especially if said Epic isn't invincible. 

"You will be seen now," she was told, after a wait. 

Now she would meet one of the elusive leaders of Melbourne. Or, as she was told it was called now, Tribourne. 

Victoria, Day 6

Bluefingers takes black
Blackhoof takes red

Afterglow 

The group had already stopped for the day, about a mile out of another Epic’s town. No independent Epic seemed to like relying on others, and reliably so, but she was the only one who could offer large amounts without huge prices. The slaves were the 95% who she didn't desire, the ones who weren't her soldiers. They were fed enough to survive and docile enough, thanks to Charisma. The risk of using them for their group was a bit too high, so they were traded for goods raiding couldn't provide. 

Charisma was off negotiating with Deathgrasp guarding him, and Sandstorm was training recruits. They needed the supplies due to their growing numbers. Four epics, 160 able-bodied men and women, and 27 vehicles. She had her own private army in the making. The other's tasks took plenty of time, she had extra time for a release today. 

Afterglow walked over to the beaten old van, one of the few vehicles lacking in weaponry. Once she gestured it's guard aside, she opened the back door and walked in. The older man inside was gaunt faced and covered in gashes and dried blood. Upon seeing her, he struggled violently against the rope binding him to a ring in the wall. Afterglow snatched a knife out of a sheath hanging on the wall and drove it cleanly through the man's upper arm. The man screamed as blood pooled around the hilt of the knife. The cloth in his mouth muffled the noise enough to keep the rest of the camp from hearing. 

“You should have listened to my warning. What did you think I mean when I said slaves would be punished for running away?” Afterglow whipped out her pistol and placed it against the man's temple. His eyes grew wide and he tried to draw back mouthing “no” through his gag. Afterglow put it back in its holster. “You'll be wishing I'd pulled the trigger in a few days time, I'll take care to make you last longer than they usually do. For now, we have plenty of time together.” 

Afterglow relished his shrieks of pain as she twisted the knife in his arm. “What to do today?” She thought, looking towards the various implements in the van. She spotted a hacksaw in the corner and walked over to pick it up. I think I'll start with the legs.

Charisma and Deathgrasp returned several hours later with the supplies their trades had gotten them. Afterglow looked over the items, seeing most of the usual. Canned food, bullets, power cells, water, clothing. Pretty standard stuff, it seems today's client didn't have anything very valuable. Wait a moment . . . 

“Charisma, are those claymores?” Charisma beamed his perfectly white smile. “I knew you'd notice those. They weren't cheap, but they'll probably be useful if you know what pans out.” Ah yes. Afterglow had been meaning to reveal her plan today. 

“Sandstorm, come here!” She yelled, waving over the shaven headed man. He walked towards her almost mechanically. The dust around him blowed out of his path, causing the streamers of his cloak to flare away from him. He carefully picked up one of the explosives in his calloused hands. “Good quality” He said in a gravelly voice. “You could take out a truck with one of these. I had the misfortune of riding over one years ago. 
Put them in the armory.” A group of mercenaries scrambled to take the stack to their armored eighteen wheeler. 
It was time to make her announcement. Afterglow beat her wings and flew onto the roof of a pickup on the edge of a crowd. The soldiers turned to her immediately, too well-disciplined to not pay attention to an Epic. 

“As many of you may have guessed due to heightened weaponry influx, I've planned something big. For the majority of you who aren't familiar, Bushfire is a fire Epic whose bandits prowl about 150 kilometres from here. Our plans are to kill her and sway her followers to us.” Several people looked nervous, clearly aware of Bushfire's reputation. Charisma stepped forward, realizing the unease. “We've done things like this before. Bushfire will be crushed by our combined strength.” The body of mercs let out a cheer, raising weapons into the air. They believed him, as always. For once, though, even Afterglow wasn't sure if he was telling the truth or not.

Deathgrasp

Deathgrasp lay on the roof of a truck, staring up at the stars. A glass of whiskey and this would be perfect. Still not sure what boss has against that stuff. Fires glowed around the camp as groups of mercs relaxed around them. The pits held all manner of pots and pans filled with whatever might come cans or the wilds around them. Deathgrasp sat up and looked out across the camp, keeping tabs on her fellow Epics. Charisma was being a sleaze as usual, hitting on some blonde woman near the edge of camp. Sandstorm’s bus leaked light from behind the curtains. Probably meditating she thought. Afterglow could be anywhere, that girl was far too confusing for her.

A flash of light came into her field of vision on the horizon. The hell? The light quickly grew closer until she realized it seemed to be a large person. Probably an Epic from around here, hopefully just passing. Deathgrasp relaxed as the figure passed by, then made a U-turn towards camp. Adrenaline flooded her body. “Epic approaching camp! Potential hostile!” She bellowed before throwing herself to her feet pushing off the roof with her legs. As the bus roof bowed slightly, she rocketed 40 meters into the air and saw soldiers scrambling below her. The arc of her jump landed her right near the edge of camp with a spray of dust. She looked up to see the figure descending towards the ground. 

Katherine 

Katherine braced herself as Jetpack slowly descended towards the ground, and began loosening the straps. With a small yelp, the straps came loose and she fell a few feet to the ground, landing as gracefully as possible while the Epic giggled and dropped behind her.

On the way back from the meeting at Mungo, her radio had buzzed- alerting her to a new opportunity. A large gang of mercenaries, lead by an Epic, had been identified. So she had rerouted, trying to look for them around the area they had last been seen- luckily their convoy wasn’t hard to spot from the air. 

Looking around, she saw quite a few guns pointed at her. This… could have been ill-advised. An Epic with wings was looking at her, standing on a vehicle. The leader? Katherine cleared her throat. “Ahem, uh, hello. My name is Katherine Howards and this is Jetpack. We are representatives of Wendigo, the Ice Queen of Victoria. She wishes to deal with a certain group of destructive bandits, lead by an Epic named Bushfire. She is too busy to deal with the annoyance herself, so she has instructed us to find mercenaries to do it for her. All we want is for her and every single one of her bandits to be killed, as an example to all those who resist the Ice Queen. We have the resources of an entire city available for payment, so price is no object. Shall we discuss this further?

Charisma

Charisma pushed up his mirrored shades and strode towards Katherine, hand near his gun. “I must say, this is quite convenient for me and mine. We were planning on offing her and integrating her mercenaries. Killing them instead though, we can do that if you can pay for it.” Charisma noticed the gyrating discs of sand behind the Epic. Clever Sandy, it appears we have a captive audience now. If they tried to run, the discs would likely slice them in half. “For you, dollface, I think we can give you a fair price. I'm thinking four thousand kilos of gold, two million bullets of various kinds, food and supplies for 200 for 3 months, and some vehicles and guns to sweeten the deal. Fair? We can work on fine print if you're interested.”

Katherine

Katherine turned to see a… startlingly beautiful man walking towards her. She blinked hard, and the man began talking to her. Was this the leader, and not the winged Epic she had seen?
She considered the deal, but found herself blushing at the man’s handsome, chiselled features. Katherine! She thought to herself. Don’t be a silly girl, he is just some mercenary! But those eyes, that face…. It made her shiver. She realised that she had been in silence for several seconds. “Oh! Uh, yes, that sounds quite fair. We can certainly afford such generous payment. Let us go somewhere inside to discuss the details. Jetpack, you stay here.”

With that, she entered a tent with this beautiful man, and they began discussing the details of the agreement.

Charisma

Later . . .

Charisma watched as Katherine and the Epic disappeared into the distance with trails of flame. That was quite convenient, all things considered. He watched as Afterglow jumped from the roof 3 meters up and glided down upon her wings. “I made the deal without you, why didn't you step in? You are in command of our little group after all.” Afterglow swept her hair away from her face. “If I'd heard anything I didn't like I'd have stepped in. Besides, that Katherine lady likely assumes you're in charge. You don't fight often anyway, so I just made things a little more confusing if they try to off us. On top if that, I could pass for a 17 year old. Epic or not, people often don't take me seriously as a leader. So, does the radio-phone work?” Charisma held up the blocky device which Katherine had given him. 

“Yeah, she used it in front of me, we can reach them if we need to. I was thinking that I should hold onto . . .” Afterglow yanked the phone from his hand. “I'll handle it myself.” Charisma scowled at her. Afterglow looked towards Sandstorm and Deathgrasp, who stood behind her. “We have the information we need, we move tomorrow.” 

quake.png

Tribourne, Day 7

Quakezone stood in discussion with his advisers, trying to decide upon a course of action. It had been two days since Laserbolt had sent hundreds of useless malcontents flowing into his district, clogging up his streets and causing a massive spike in crime.

“Is she still claiming that they came willingly, and she had nothing to do with it?” Quakezone asked.

Dreadpyre nodded. “Yes. she is keeping to that line. She is holding another tournament tomorrow, and expelling those who lose, providing they don’t die. She isn’t specifically sending them here- but when forcibly removed from her section of the city, they almost always come to here or Foundry’s. She has closed her borders temporarily, to prevent the exiled from returning.”

“Do you recommend we close our borders completely, too?” Quakezone looked around the room. His advisers looked thoughtful or uncertain.

Finally Grenadier spoke, “I think we should keep our borders open, but kill any who we think are not coming here legitimately.”

Rainman shook his head, “No, that will discourage genuine immigrants. We  still want more people to demonstrate our superiority. What if we conscript these useless sods into our army, and workforce? Enslave them completely as punishment, if they cannot find employment within a week of their arrival? Project Watchful is nearly ready, after all, and we can track each and every one of them and get their employment details too.”

Quakezone nodded. “Yes, that seems a good plan. We could use the extra manpower in our fields.”

As the advisers nodded, he glimpsed a servant waiting in hi peripheral vision. He turned, nodding for the servant to come forward. “What is it?”

The servant whispered, “Someone is here to see you, sir, an emissary from Darwin.”

Quakezone raised his eyebrows in surprise. “Darwin? Here? Hmmmm…..” He turned to the table, smiling,  “Gentlemen and women, an emissary from Darwin has arrived. I think I should keep this little secret from our friend Laserbolt, don’t you agree?” He turned back to the servant as they nodded. “Inform Foundry, we will meet at the Circle, but without Laserbolt. Have a car take this emissary there immediately.”

footerLogo.png

Victoria, Day 7: Bushfire

"M'lady, ish that really a wishe plan?" Escape Artist lisped, bowing before Bushfire.

She scowled, and threw a gout of flame at his side, causing him to yelp and jump backwards. MaxiMuscle, big, goofy grin on his dumb, blocky face, laughed. Bushfire quietened him with a glare.

"This plan," she began, "is genius. We will send another raiding party out tomorrow, and this time capture as many of her workers as possible. We could use the slaves, and it will anger her beyond reason, she will have to come out and face us!"

Escape Artist cringed. "But m'lady, she ish invincible, she can't be killed! We should just leave here and stop antagonizing her. She is so powerful, you remember Shepparten!" 

Indeed, Bushfire did remember. After hearing that the town had been destroyed, she had gone there nearly a year ago. The entire city had been a ruin, unlike any she had seen. The town had been buried in ice and snow, houses and cars crushed under the weight and many pulverized by giant hailstones. The town had become a tomb. But after Wendigo had left, and in the warm spring weather, the snow had melted quickly. The ruins of the town had been flooded as torrents of water flowed through the streets, causing even more destruction. It was in this state that months afterwards, Bushfire had inspected it, to see for herself the power that blotted out central Victoria with cold. 

Bushfire's scowled deepened. "I demand loyalty and obedience from my servants. No questions, no doubts! If I say that my plan will result in me being the dominant power in Victoria's center, then that is what it will do!" Escape Artist cringed beneath her rage, and his ropes began curling around him protectively.

Her temper began deflating as she considered her future success. She smiled. "And besides, I have a trick up my sleeve."

MaxiMuscle leaned forward, flexing his great arms. "Is it me?"

Bushfire raised an eyebrow, and gave him a withering glare. "No, it isn't you. You both already know it, in fact.... I just haven't explained it yet."

She left them looking confused, as she walked to her personal caravan.

"Yes, I have a trick in store for you indeed, Wendigo." She thought to herself as she closed the door behind her and smiled. "I know your weakness."

Eden/Hobart, Day 7: Seven Heavens

Seven Heavens strode out of his chambers, Foodstock clinging to his arm. The woman gently plucked grapes into his mouth, not a meal, even if they would last, but they had just the right mix of sweetness and sourness to arouse his mind from the lingering dread of his sleep. When she finished, Foodstock left a slight trail of honey on his lips.

Percival, dressed crisply in his pristine white butler uniform, held open the door to the parlor. The table was prepared, although not in the way Seven Heavens expected. Instead of his morning meal, the table was covered in a map, yes of Australia he realized as he approached, with different markers and the like showing the state of the land. Noticing the look on his master’s face, Percival explained himself, “This is according to the lady’s wishes, Sir.”

“What is this supposed to be, woman? I don’t want anything to do with Fallzone’s ambitions,” Seven Heavens growled at Foodstock.

“Of course not, come let me explain.” Foodstock slowly managed to pull a reluctant Seven Heavens over to the table with the map, as she talked. “I agree that you don’t need any of these cities with what you’ve build up here for yourself but I also think you can think farther than Fallzone. You may not need them but they? Savages rolling around in broken shambles of a play pretend society. Giving them a chance to live properly under a man that actually deserves to be called a god is more of a responsibility than an ambition. Certainly the same thought already crossed your mind? Should spoils fall from that… well, that is only fair, don’t you think?”

There was something to her words, Seven Heavens had to admit. He picked up a figure of a tree marking Darwin and slowly rolled it in his fingers. There was a certain radiance to the idea of spreading proper manner back to a land that had fallen into savagery, almost visible as a golden shine to his eyes.

After placing the figure down again he laid an arm around Foodstock. “There’s something to what you’re saying, woman. I had already considered how miserable those lower people must be without my guidance.”

Mephistopheles

There are many ways to gather information. One old and reliable method is employing spies. Foodstock had a simple arrangement with Mephistopheles, she only had to send servants over to inform him over whatever interesting news people let go in her establishment and so she had done this time as well, barely fast enough to avoid any immediate consequences for herself. Late enough that he couldn’t properly react to her playing seductress for Fallzone.

Now here he was in his office with the messenger, a runner already send to fetch Deterrence. Old virtues had it that he shouldn’t shoot him and Mephistopheles wouldn’t. Not satisfying enough. “There’s one thing I want you to do for me before you return to Foodstock. You’ll do it, I imagine?”

The messenger hesitated for a moment. Right now agreeing to a do everything Mephistopheles demanded was a very unwise thing to do. Disagreeing however would make an unpleasant end certain, so he still gave his word. Mephistopheles told him to stand on one leg. At first that wasn’t much of a challenge but over time his balance was giving up and he twisted in pain as he tried to reset his foot or stand on both his legs, a warning of the inevitable end to come.

After Mephistopheles watched the messenger squirm for a while, Deterrence entered. “What’s the bad news you called me for… and what’s with the slontze?” She asked.

“Stress relief from the message he delivered. It seems that Foodstock is going to push Seven Heavens over to the wonderful idea of conquering cities.”

“Sparks.” Deterrence pushed the messenger, not enough to make him fall immediately but it threw him off balance enough that he could only hold himself standing for a couple of seconds before he fell down, letting out a pained groan before he died. “We should go and shoot the actual message.”

Mephistopheles gave out a sight before standing up. The reassuring part had been seeing the boy being helpless under his control, him dying only cut his enjoyment short. Not that they had the time to spare on him playing around. “I’m afraid that if she already had success, shooting Foodstock won’t do much to better the situation but I have an idea on how to salvage at least some control.”

When the two of them were lead to Seven Heavens, Foodstock was already in his company. Certainly not the best case scenario. “Mephistopheles, what brings you to me yet again`” seven Heavens asked.

“You spoke highly of the breakfast your chef makes and seeing how delicious the last meal you invited me to was, I decided to take you up on the offer sooner rather than later.” Mephistopheles answered.

“Ah yes. I didn't expect you so soon but I’m sure something can be prepared for you as well but first,” Seven Heavens tossed a little figure made out of three smaller pieces linked together over, “I may have to amend something I said yesterday. Claiming dominance over the lower cities might be worthwhile after all.”

“Why the change of mind?” Deterrence asked.

“It’s just proper, don’t you think? We are something better, so we might as well spread our influence for the greater good.”

“Easy to say for you. You aren’t the one that’ll have to do most of the work. I-”
“I don’t think it is quite fair to treat his goals just like Fallzone’s greed,” Mephistopheles interrupted Deterrence. Of course they had an outline for the conversation, a bit of disagreement to appear less scripted and playing to his ego but still Deterrence looked as if she was about to break his nose and she wasn’t acting.

“It’s nice to see that I won’t have to fight you on this topic,” Seven Heavens said.                                   

“Indeed, although seeing how you are aiming for something more reasonable than Fallzone is, it’s good to know this won’t actually go down the path of war like she wants.”

“What do you mean?” Foodstock asked, stirring for the first time in the conversation. It seemed to dawn on her that at the end of this, she wouldn’t be able to report back perfectly to Fallzone.

“It’s simply the fact that the lower people aren’t aware that our rule would be for the better, meaning that they would put up resistance. Yes, we would win a war with certainty but why have our reign start with needing to rebuilt ruins? It seems that with a bit of diplomacy at least some of them should see the benefits and I imagine that’s something I can help with.”
Foodstock wanted to say something but Seven Heavens cut her off with a gesture, “Go on.”

Edited by Edgedancer

• 2 weeks later...

Winter takes red.

Blackhoof takes grey

Quakezone and Foundry sat at the meeting table, flanked by guards.

Foundry spoke, “Are you certain this meeting is wise? Laserbolt will take this as a breach of the contract.”

Quakezone shrugged. “Meeting? What meeting? This is just a friendly discussion, where some stranger from another city happens to be present.”

Foundry frowned, and the emissary was let in.

“Greetings.” Foundry nodded, voice obscured by his mask. “I am Foundry and this is Quakezone, we are two thirds of the Triumvirate that rules this city. Who are you, who do you represent, and what is your business here?”

Birdrider slid into the table. Her car ride was enjoyable. She observed that one of the leaders, Foundry, was wearing a mask. The two sat, smugly at the table.

“Roman, nice,” she observed. “I’m Birdrider, from Darwin. I represent Ivystorm, our empress. As you have noticed from the rather generous gift of perfect coffee, I come with an offer of an alliance.”

At the mention of perfect coffee- and perfect it was, as Quakezone had already tried some- Foundry looked at him, an eyebrow raised. Quakezone leaned over to him, “I’ll have half sent to you.”

Foundry rolled his eyes and looked back at the emissary. “Thank you for this meeting, we have not received any word about Darwin for a long time, it being so far away. We would both be interested in an alliance, however, in whatever capacity we can manage. My district is an industrial powerhouse and I have several Epics skilled at making and contributing to the production of electronics, vehicles, weapons and other machinery. Coffee is not something we have been able to make here, so as a trade good it is valuable to us, perhaps an agreement can be worked out.”

Quakezone leant forward. “My section of the city also has a great deal of productive capacity, and our farms are the most productive of all the sectors. I grow a wide variety of crops, likely some that you do not. I also have many Epics with diverse and useful abilities- their services can certainly be traded, for the right price. But before any of that, tell us more about Darwin, and your empress.”

“Ivystorm is a plant Epic. She can control and create all sorts of plants, so your crops aren’t really useful. During her Rending, she created the Darwin Tree. It’s basically a giant tree and it’s where all of the Epics, besides Pain and Worldbringer, live. We have about 20 or so Epics, a few move in and out as the seasons change,” Birdrider stated.

“Ivystorm could create a self-gardening plant, which could supply huge amounts of food, and luxury goods are also an export. For us, electronics and machines are useful, given that we are mostly repurposing old machines. There isn’t many electric Epics around. Starshatter, my-” Birdrider stumbled, “-boyfriend… is an electricity Epic, but he can’t make machines.”

“More Epics and their services would be useful. Perhaps we could start an exchange program, with some of our Epics moving here and some of yours moving to Darwin. Gaining vital experience in diplomacy and skills that the other’s Epic’s know.”

Quakezone and Foundry glanced at each other. A plant Epic, capable of creating near-endless supplies of food? That would solve all of their food shortage problems… at the cost of relying upon a foreign Epic. Quakezone, ever-military minded, noted that they had a mere score of Epics. A fraction of Tribourne’s roughly 300. In a conflict, he would win easily.

Foundry smiled. “Well, that certainly sounds interesting. I think swapping some Epics would indeed be a useful endeavour, and perhaps some plants that can supply extra food would be useful for us. We can certainly trade electronics and machinery for agricultural goods, including that coffee.”

Quakezone spoke up when he had finished. “And does Ivystorm happen to have any enemies? We have a great deal more than 20 Epics here in Tribourne, and sizeable armies. As part of our trade agreement, we could supply a force that can help her eliminate any rivals she has up in the north.”

“And remind her,” Quakezone thought, “who is the stronger power in this little bargain.”

Foundry spoke next, nodding. “Does that sound satisfactory, Birdrider? Shall we send this deal to your mistress, and work out specifics at a later date?”

“Interesting. However, I do believe that you’ve made a bit of a mistake. We don’t need a later date,” she said, pulling out a slab of crystal. She punched it and the crystal sprayed everywhere around her. It was pounded thin, to shatter easily.

Crystalvision, Starshatter, and Ivystorm were waiting, across the continent. They’d used a moving green platform, as quickly as Ivystorm could, to get into Crystalvision’s range.

Starshatter reached her tendrils out and electricity formed in crackling letters around Birdrider. Birdrider gave him a sly smile.

Hello, Quakezone. Hello, Foundry. You are speaking to Ivystorm, Empress of a thousand knights and powerful Epics.

Quakezone and Foundry watched in interest as electricity formed around Birdrider, and words of electricity spelled out a greeting.

“What a fascinating power!” Quakezone thought.

Foundry repeated the proposals from before.

“Do these trade proposals sound satisfactory? I have a number of ships in operation, I believe that opening up a sea-based trade route could be very profitable for us.”

Yes, said Ivystorm, through Starshatter. Birdrider smugly thought about how they must think that was her ability, not four Epics working together. If you would be interested, we would offer a large self-reproducing plant in exchange for a number of Epics. Say, ten.

Birdrider was surprised at how forward Ivystorm was -- ten was almost half of what they had. Still, she didn’t think they had something similar to knights, so, that would be a useful advantage if it came to war.

A plant like that could feed a thousand people, easily.

Quakezone rubbed his chin. “Hmmm… an interesting offer. But one thousand people is a paltry amount, as I have almost a million in my district alone. To be of any use, I would need, say, at least 40 such plants, at the very least, to supplement my food supply.”

Foundry spoke next, “And I would require 60, to free up labour for my factories. Give me 60 of these plants and I will give you ten Epics and a contingent of 1000 soldiers as an escort for them.”

Quakezone interjected, “Give me 50 plants and I will give you fifteen Epics and a contingent of 2000 soldiers.”

Foundry glared at him. “I will also happily supply a selection of basic factory machinery to assist you in your own manufacturing efforts. Victoria has always been a manufacturing state, after all. My engineers have been working tirelessly to advance our industry and make us as advanced a city-state as we can be.”

Quakezone gritted his teeth. “So… do we have a deal? We will send you 15 Epics and 2000 soldiers, and 10 Epics and 1000 soldiers respectively, and you will provide us with 110 of these plants, as well as any instructions and advice on their care and how best to utilise them, of course.”

Yes. There is no need for any instructions, given that my power has created them. And these Epics must be useful Epics. If you try to pass us off with an Epic that could join a club of pathetic Epics, then there will be less in this deal for you.

Birdrider winced at Ivystorm’s forwardness, but of course, High Epics would act as if they were immortal.

“We have a deal?” Birdrider asked.

Sounds good. Oh, and this is Starshatter -- you look great.

“She’s talking to me, not to you,” Birdrider explained to a baffled looking pair of Epics.

Foundry and Quakezone looked at each other, confused as they were praised by the electric words.

Quakezone nodded as she explained herself. “Very well, we have a deal. The Epics shall be useful, indeed. You may use them for any purpose you please, but they must be taken care of.”

Foundry broke in. “Indeed. I shall be greatly displeased if any of my tools are damaged or destroyed.”

Quakezone rose to his feet. “Well, if that is all, then let us call this meeting to a close, and organise ourselves to fulfill our respective sides of the bargain.”

“The first shipment will arrive in three days,” Birdrider said, a rough estimate of how long it took to ship stuff. “Goodbye.”

Can’t wait to see you again, baby.

“Again, that’s for me,” Birdrider said. “Starshatter, cool it with the flirt. I’ll get home by tomorrow morning, latest. Promise.”

Fine, I just miss my bird.

“I’ll be back, promise,” Birdrider said. “Anyway, see you guys later!” That last bit was directed to Epics and she transformed into a bird, breaking through a window to leave.  

• 2 months later...

Western Australia, Day 7

Afterglow

The Mayor of the town circled a segment of the map with his ballpoint pen. “This area is where Bushfire is supposed to be. Hunters have reported seeing members of her group out there on occasion. You'll know you're getting closer to her territory when you see burned patches of earth scattered about” Charisma took the map back from the man. “This will be of aid to us. I think we could compensate you a bit, seeing the dire state of your town. I believe a few guns are in order, could you get them Afterglow?” Afterglow gestured to the soldiers to grab several rifles from one of the vehicles. She still kept up the facade of Charisma leading. Her time before him had been far enough away for locals to not know otherwise. The guns were inferior to what her people had, but were military-issue, and therefore a boon for the town. It's not as if they had many bullets, though - even the guns her people carried were for intimidation rather than use. A vanilla mayor, Afterglow thought, it’s a miracle another Epic hasn't come along yet. She likely would have razed the town herself had it not been one of her only clients in almost 50 kilometres.

Charisma

The two Epics faced each other, sitting in padded armchairs in the armored van. Afterglow stared at various objects, clearly trying to avoid eye contact. Charisma drummed his fingers along the rim of his wineglass, keeping the silence between them at bay. “Just say it already” Charisma said, causing her to look him in the eyes. “Excuse me?” She asked. “You clearly want to ask me something, and you're trying to dodge it. I'm guessing it's a favor, you never like being in debt to others.” He gestured towards her. “Ask away.”

Afterglow stared at him with a steely gaze.

“I just want to make it clear what happens if you run.”

“Excuse me?”

“We're in this for a small fortune. I've gotten to know you well enough to realize you may very well reap the rewards of our work and run. If you want to get out of this godforsaken hellhole where we live, you need me.”

He snorted, the hint of a smirk crossing his face. “Nine months and you still treat me like we've just met. I won't bolt on you, but not because you're my only option. Someone would take me in if I ran, I'd find a way out eventually. You, however” He annunciated by waving his index finger at her, “would chase me down to the ends of the Earth. Then you'd probably spend God knows how long maiming me. Not a pleasant outcome by any means.”

Afterglow scowled again, he'd noticed how touchy a subject her activities on the side were. They sat in silence once again, as these rides usually went. Charisma had little care of how the upcoming fight went, he merely hoped he wouldn't be once again the trophy passed between those stronger than him. If things did work out for them, he may not even join Afterglow in attempting to leave the country. With that kind of money and equipment . . .

King Charisma he thought to himself. That does sound very nice

He let idle fantasies of power and luxury distract him the rest of the way to their camp. A camp, he hoped, would soon give way to penthouses and mansions. The high life.

• 4 weeks later...

Eden/Hobart, Day 8

As their city was floating ever closer towards Adelaide, Mephistopheles had called the inner circle, plus Shadow Stalker hiding in his shadow, together in the stairway to heaven. A cloud chamber on the bottom of Eden designed for entry and exit from the city through Fallzone’s powers. It was the same Epic that right now kept the meeting from being as dignified as it should be.

Carelessly the Epic tossed a can of beer behind herself, where the clouds thankfully caught it silently.  Reprimanding her in any form was of course not necessary for Mephistopheles, Deterrence gladly took every chance she could get to pounce at the other Epic on her own, though she managed barely more than a scowl.

“What, you little Slontz?” Fallzone growled at Deterrence through barely hidden hostility. “Not only did I have to turn this island around but now I also need to work at the sparking elevator right after. I get to act as I sparking want or you can just jump straight down and see how much you like splattering against the ground.”

“How about-“

“Now now, no reason to start fighting,” Mephistopheles smoothly interjected. “I can understand the desire to keep this meeting reputable but Fallzone is right that she’s doing us a rather significant service. That is unless she’d prefer to postpone this whole endeavor, maybe have us move to another city altogether?”

“Spark that, I’m not giving you any time to weasel out of this whole deal.” Fallzone’s response may have been gruff but at least she eased a bit afterwards, just so there wouldn’t be an opportunity for Mephistopheles to press her on.

“Getting the unpleasantries out of the way,” Seven Heavens said. “I imagine you have more reasons on settling for Adelaide than just it being close by.”

“Quite so,” Mephistopheles answered. “For one engaging them is relatively save, even if it does come to open hostility. Neither of their High Epics has any means of getting past Deterrence and their city’s primary attack force is based around gifting, which means, even if they could bring them into the city, Deterrence could easily depower them permanently.”

“Hiding behind me again, are you?”  Deterrence said with a smug smile on her face.      

“It is your contribution to this city after all. We’d be fools not to acknowledge how valuable you are.” And it was a sad thing that that Fallzone and Seven Heavens might actually be fool enough to call her nothing more than a guard dog to her face.

“That is of course not all. The city just started making contact with others itself but is not swamped in political games yet as the likes Melbourne has become, so it is safe to assume they’ll be open for communication. The last important detail is that they’ll want to gather information about us.”

“Sounds like something we’d want to avoid, smart guy,” Fallzone interrupted. He ought to cut her tongue out one day just to shut her up.

“I do actually see why that means we should deal with Adelaide sooner rather than later.” Seven Heavens responded. “For one, it is barely a risk to us. We control the only gate into Eden and can block any other means of investigation. More than that however, word of what we are doing will spread once we start acting on the ground. Once it becomes public knowledge that we are subjugating cities, others will put forth greater resistance, even if that may be more of an annoyance than an obstacle, and a place with dedicated information gathering would be one of the earliest to notice. They may not be the only city with such an organization but that does not change the fact that it has one.”

“Fair enough. What’s your actual plan for contacting them then?” Fallzone asked.

“I’ve handpicked one of my staff that has shown a suitable finesse with words and through some work of Deterrence gifted him parts of my powers," he had also been gifted Talk's increased hearing but that was not information Mephistopheles could share freely. "That means he will have to return regularly but that should not be a problem and in the worst case scenario he is expendable anyway. Down in the city it will be his job to slowly but surely trap Necropathy and his ilk with their own words. I hope there are no objections?”

Indeed there were none.    

• 10 months later...

Haven/Coober Pedy - Day 8

Covenant stood over the glowing holomap, the blue light illuminating his face in the dark room. Shown in white lines, the city of Haven spread out before him. It was like a spider's web, every passageway and corridor that wove through the subterranean metropolis. Thicker lines, much more orderly, cut through the scramble. The Tube Rails, a high speed metro. It was the only reasonable way to get around the city, and it was always on time. Hardhat made sure of that. Covenant tapped the map, and blue stars appeared at various locations. They moved along the lines methodically, never crossing paths, efficiently covering ever inch. Covenant smiled. It was satisfying to see one's work perform as intended. The stars were his Lawkeepers, the peace and stability of Haven. They were his pride and joy, just as a mechanic treasures his tools.

The lights flicked on. Covenant flinched and closed his eyes to the sudden brightness.

"Just what are you doing in here?" A melodic voice said. The sound seemed to come from everywhere at once. Covenant sighed and smiled.

He turned to see a woman posing in the doorway, wearing a glittery vermilion gown. Covenant spread out his arms. "Diva! How good to see you. You are looking quite fine today," he grinned. Diva rolled her eyes.

"Come on, don't stay cooped up in that room. I thought the Atrium would be nice today." She glanced at him, the suggestion obvious. Covenant gestured to the holomap.

"I have the security of Haven to attend to! I am the Supreme Protector! It's my job," he protested. Diva waved his cries aside. "You worry to much. There hasn't been a serious threat to our security in a year! All of the petty rebellions have been snuffed out, and the citizens have no reason to be angry! You can afford to spend some time away from that map before your eyes melt out."

Covenant sighed. There was no use arguing. Besides, she was his consort. He glanced back at the map, saw the stars patrol in their natural order, and followed Diva out the door.

They walked down the metal corridor. He had ordered the stone be plated over for "sanitation reasons". Honestly, he preferred the sleek, sterile look of the metal walls to the stone. Rows of lights on the ceiling lit the passage. Diva glanced at him, her eyes flitting over his outfit.

"You need to change into something nicer," she said. Covenant examined his clothes. It was his S.P. officer uniform, a smart blue jacket with white accents over a white dress shirt. The hollow pentagon of Haven was embroidered in gold on the jacket's left breast pocket. He wore blue slacks to match.

"There's nothing wrong with my uniform. It's a perfectly fine outfit," he said. Diva looked sidelong at him.

"It's too professional. Stiff. Cold. Wear something that shows of the handsome side of you," she replied, laying a hand on his shoulder. Covenant nodded, relenting. Why did it always seem like he bent to Diva's will while he was the one that had a knack for persuasion?

Covenant shrugged. "Alright, love, I'll dress up for you. Just give me some time to get my clothes." Diva smiled. "See you at the Atrium at--" she tucked her head down and lowered her voice. "-- sixteen hundred hours. Sharp!" Covenant raised an eyebrow, and Diva ran ahead, laughing. He watched her sparkling gown disappear down the corridor, and it was a second before he realized what happened. Oh, she was impersonating me, he thought. He smiled and shook his head as he walked towards his quarters.

4:00PM, Haven

Covenant, wearing a fitted black tuxedo, walked into the Atrium. It was a massive space, the vaulted ceiling rising high above the citizens below. A large lamp set into the ceiling imitated the sun. Four large entrances, facing east, west, north, south, were set on the sides. The vast floor was caved in the center, and the space was filled with plants. Stone paths twisted through the foliage, and at some points in the garden, it seemed like you were in a forest far away, not in a man-made cave. Fountains spouted along the periphery, and all around were strolling families enjoying their day. Obeying the law.

Covenant strode towards the center gardens, scanning the broad area for a glittering vermilion dress. He saw children playing by the fountains, a couple strolling through the garden, but his Diva was elusive as ever. He went and sat on one of the benches scattered about.

Someone tapped him on the shoulder. "Boo!"

He flinched and spun around. Diva laughed, like the tinkling of glass and windchimes. "You're too tense, as always. Come on, let's have some fun," she smiled. She pulled him up and led him towards the garden. As they stepped onto the stone path, the air changed. It smelled different. Covenant glanced around, but there was no Epic using his or her powers nearby. Then what was this difference?

Diva pulled his head towards the plants. "Smell this flower. Isn't it gorgeous?" She pushed a bright blossom toward him. He inhaled, and the fragrance surged through his nostrils. He blinked, somewhat startled. The smell... was plants? He looked around at the miniature jungle. He must be spending too much time in the tunnels to forget what nature smelled like. He realized that Diva was still looking at him, so he said, "It's lovely, my dear." Diva smiled, and they continued their walk.

The diversity of flora astounded him. He had never spent too much time in the Atrium, it was Greenhouse and Stellar who oversaw its completion and recent renovation. He wasn't in charge of the Public Recreation committee! How were they able to get so many different plants? Surely not from the Overlands. No one had been up in the past six months. Perhaps they had them pre-Calamity? But why? Greenhouse was a librarian, and Stellar was a rancher. Perhaps he would have to ask...

His train of thought was broken as Diva tugged him down onto a bench. He glanced around. They were most likely in the center of the gardens. Lush green walls stretched out on every side. Diva leaned into his shoulder.

"What were you thinking about?" She whispered. "Don't look at me like that, I know when you're lost in thought."

"I was just thinking about the plants," he replied. Diva sighed. "Yes, they are quite amazing." She looked up at him, and he met her eyes. "Have you ever wondered what a real jungle is like? I never left Australia before Calamity, and there's no use now. Who knows what it's like up there?"

"Slightly organized chaos. Most of the big cities have an esta--"

"It was a rhetorical question, love. What do you think about jungles?"

Covenant thought. He pushed aside the constant nagging of security that hung in his mind and pondered the question. "I guess..." he paused. "I guess it would be like this, but much, much more. Imagine towering trees, huge masses of green, so tall they block the sun. And there are animals everywhere, in the branches, on the ground..." He trailed off.

Diva smiled. "Go on. I love it when you get like this," she said. Covenant looked down. "Okay... no, it's gone. My apologies."

Diva sighed. The imaginative Covenant was gone, to surface another day. "It's alright," she assured him. "How about we get something to eat? I'm starving."

Edited by Hemalurgic_Headshot

Brisbane - 2 months ago

Gemstone sauntered into the towering city, with only one thought in her mind: 'This place will be mine.' She had been planning for a while, ever since she received her powers from that Sparking star Calamity. Why would she not claim the city she grew up in, after all?

Chaos greeted her. Utter chaos. Mobs raced through streets, wrecking cars, smashing windows, looting, and generally causing a riot. Either the currently ruling Epic was doing a horrific job, or there was no ruling Epic.

Not yet anyway.

Gemstone flashed a grin as she shattered herself, causing a few glances her way, and shot towards Parliament House as a single speck of diamond. Nobody noticed her during her course, and she only reappeared at the entrance to the building. She could, of course, just stay in the miniature diamond form, but that was no fun, was it?

"I am Gemstone, and Brisbane is now mine!" her voice boomed through the entrance room, packed with worried officials and a couple of timid guards. "Cower before me," she continued, "and serve under me. I am unbeatable; nobody can stop me. I will be the ruler of Brisbane, and all of you my servants!"

A gunshot.

Gemstone's form cracked, and one of her arms went flying across the room before hitting a wall and smashing into quartz. Scowling, she located the source, and discovered a trembling girl with a mop of red hair facing her. The gun in her hand dropped to the floor.

"Well, well, well, already we have a traitor. You know what happens to traitors, girl?" Gemstone asked. Returning to her cool state, she lazily held out an arm to the attacker. A mass of precious crystals unloaded from the fingertips. Once they reached the girl, she was promptly transformed into a shining statue of glittering stones. "That's what. Anybody else?"

Nobody so much as moved a muscle.

"Good." And with a satisfied smile, Gemstone made her way to the most important room she could see, flopped in the luxurious chair, and created an empire.

Brisbane - Day 6

"You ready, Phase?" Liz Banner, known by most as Mother Nature, asked her partner.

"Sure as Sparks, Liz," replied Anthony 'Phase' Hill. "Let's get to it."

The two overlooked Brisbane, a place recently claimed by an Epic named Gemstone. Her rule was generally seen as tyrannical, if only because each time she was challenged by another Epic (which happened a lot) her 'Iron Fist' became rougher, stronger, and tougher. True, the subjects weren't miserable, but 'happy' also didn't fit it. Phase and Nature were intent on changing that.

All they had to do was assassinate a High Epic.

"And we are good to go," Phase reported, earning a quick fist bump, before becoming incorporeal. Nature created an illusion in return, where onlookers would believe they were simply observing a leaf floating around. They were a great team.

Five minutes later, and they were already in Gemstone's favoured room, the wide area where she made new laws and sometimes relaxed.

As Nature stuffed the three unconscious guards into a wardrobe, Phase studied the room for any signs of Gemstone. Another scan, and a third. Gemstone wasn't to be seen.

"Uh, Nature, do we have the wrong room? Gem isn't here. But those gua--..."

Phase was cut off as a shard of something green and shiny shot into his thigh, resulting in a cry of alarm and a sudden wave of pain. Nature was quick to his aide, healing the wound at quick speeds, as the queen of Brisbane, Gemstone, returned to her human state.

"Well, that was quite a pleasant surprise," Gemstone smirked, "but I'm afraid you don't have permission to be in this room. I also liked those guards. Shame. Well, time to die." Her hands fired some more sharp emerald stones, but Phase had recovered enough to turn invisible, so they simply embedded themselves in the marble door. Nature was also combining some nearby plants to create a deadly weapon of some sort, so Gemstone turned her attention to her. Any fired projectiles quickly popped back of out Nature's skin, infuriating Gemstone.

All this happened in half a second, the same time it took for Phase to reach Gemstone. His muscled body became visible again, and he reached out to touch Gemstone. His Primary Power enabled him to touch any person, and they would slowly fade away. To where, nobody knew, not even Phase. But hopefully, it worked fine enough.

Aaaaand Gemstone just shattered, reappearing in the corner of the same room. Of course. Her Prime Invincibility.

Phase mentally facepalmed as Gemstone addressed her foes, "Did you think that would be enough to hurt me? I am more powerful than Calamity himself! I am a--"

Nature shot her in the face with a flowery bazooka.

Obviously, it wasn't enough to kill Gemstone, so she was merely thrown to the side. Face seething with disgust, her face contorted into a snarl and she raised both her arms, prepared to crush two Epics to oblivion.

Uh oh.

Another fire from the crude bazooka sent Gemstone sprawling across the room, with subsequent rounds clearly injuring her more and more.

That is, until she decided to shatter, reforming completely unharmed and practically emanating an aura of ultimate power.

Phase and Nature would have both been dead by this point, if they hadn't come prepared. A lot of research had led to Gemstone's possible weakness. Phase figured now was the time to use it. Why not earlier? Because if they were wrong then they would definitely be dead. If it was wrong now, then yes they would be dead, but they had no other choice. Therefore, as the leader, Phase made the decision.

He managed one quick signal before being ripped to shreds by gem shrapnel.

Nature screamed in shock, but understood the sign and summoned a daisy through her power.

A daisy.

Gemstone suddenly stopped advancing towards Nature and instead began stammering. "P-p-put that, that, that THING away, right now, or I'll end your miserable life even slower!"

Nature's lips pulled upwards at the edges, and she thrust the daisy towards Gemstone even more, which resulted in Gemstone sneezing.

"See this, Gemstone? It might look like a simple flower to most, but we know the truth. It's your weakness, isn't it?" By now Nature was backing away, edging to the wall, a layer of fear pasted over her once arrogant face. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't put you down right now."

"W-we-well, umm, because I'm human too?" Gemstone replied, but suddenly her face was sneering and condescending. "Oh, and because your friend will bleed out," she added, pointing at the still form of Phase.

Nature looked over her shoulder, memories flooding back, and whispered, "Slontze," before rushing back to Phase. Thankfully, he was still breathing. Nature rapidly returned him to full health, and strode back to Gem once more, who had abandoned her bravado and looked on in horror. Daisies sprung into life everywhere.

"Ok, ok, fine, I will serve under you! Please don't kill me!" she pled, tears freely falling now. "Look, I can make you rich! Just think. I can create all the gems I want. Brisbane can be the wealthiest city in all of Australia, with you as head. A life of luxury! Just please, please don't kill me."

Nature pondered for a moment, weighing up the consequences, and finally sighed, "Fine. You can stay. But if I ever catch sight of you misbehaving, I'm sure I will not be so forgiving."

And with a flourish, her and Phase exited the room, leaving behind a bed of daisies and a whimpering Gemstone.