Dual wielding shardblades and honorblades (spoilers)

NathanielHellman

SPOILERS for Words of Radiance

After Kaladin defeats Szeth he takes possession of the honorblade Szeth used so my question is can Kaladin bound to it while he is bounded to Syl? This might have been answered somewhere before, but I don't know where to find it and am interested to hear what people have to say on it.

Yeah He could but There is no benefit to use it I suppose. The Honorblade are less efficent than a SprenBlade and you will use stormlight faster.

But for example if Kal bond with the Taln's Honorblade he may access to 4 Surge. Pretty cool ;-)

Yeah He could but There is no benefit to use it I suppose. The Honorblade are less efficent than a SprenBlade and you will use stormlight faster.

But for example if Kal bond with the Taln's Honorblade he may access to 4 Surge. Pretty cool ;-)

If only someone knew where the storming honorblade is.

Wait... i thought Dalinar had Taln's honorblade...the one he hid from Amaram

Wasn't that the one he left behind at the top of uritiru because the stormfather wanted him to be a radiant withoud shards.

Or did i miss something big there???????

You did indeed, the one Dalinar had was different from the one described as Taln's earlier.

And now no one knows where the real one is.

Wait... i thought Dalinar had Taln's honorblade...the one he hid from Amaram

Wasn't that the one he left behind at the top of uritiru because the stormfather wanted him to be a radiant withoud shards.

Or did i miss something big there???????

It's a normal Shardblade, you may notice how it scream when Dalinar bonding with the Stormfather. And the Stormfather itself call the blade a "mostruosity".

We know that the Honorblades don't scream when a Radiant touch them (thanks to Kal after his battle with Szeth).

And of course the descriptions are different 

You did indeed, the one Dalinar had was different from the one described as Taln's earlier.

And now no one knows where the real one is.

WHAT!? I missed that. Maybe Dalinar and Elhokar hid it, or someone took it?!

I would assume he could use the honour blade as a sword and Syl as a shield without her having to constantly switch forms. I'd say that was a benefit.

• 4 weeks later...

Allrighty, so this idea is interesting, but the bond with an honor blade is different to the nahel bond, since there are no oathes. So how would these two bonds interact? Would Kaladin's surgebinding be amplified, but he would have to use more stormlight? Or would something bad happen. Another situation like this is Szeth with Nightblood and possibly a spren as well (though I personally doubt that.)

Also, I don't think this is made clear, but if a radiant who has spoken all 5 oaths fought against their respective herald, who'd win? As in, are honorblades when used to their full capacity stronger than radiants who have spoken all 5 oaths?

In terms of pure power levels and stormlight efficiency Radiant could have an upper hand, but Heralds have literally thousands of years of expierience and it's not impossible that they can have other powers. Question about this and Heralds being native to Roshar were RAFO'd.

Well, Szeth had years of practice with the Windrunner honorblade and is probably the most proficient person who isn't a Herald with it. Kaladin beat him after three oaths. I'd say it's possible for an experienced level 5 Radiant with years of practice to beat their Hwrald. Difficult, but definitely possible.

According to the in-world book Words of Radiance, the Herald Ishar threatened to destroy all surgebinders who refused to have the oaths thrust on to them, if I remember correctly. Heralds are scary... :ph34r:

Maybe scary, but Ishar was probably doing it to protect people from surgebinders who misused their powers.

My question on this is, did the Heralds make the stages of power that are opened up by saying the words? Was it all just one level that you practiced with and gradually got better, or did you still have the five tiers of power?

Maybe scary, but Ishar was probably doing it to protect people from surgebinders who misused their powers.

My question on this is, did the Heralds make the stages of power that are opened up by saying the words? Was it all just one level that you practiced with and gradually got better, or did you still have the five tiers of power?

I think they still had the same powers, but Ishar somehow gated their progression behind the oaths... Somehow. And I agree that Ishar did what is best, it is just that it doens't stop what is best from being scary.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern