WOB on the Moon Scepter's Use

There is a new WoB stating that the Moon Scepter is some sort of Rosetta Stone. You can use the artifact to translate or understand the 'form/aons/shapes' of different magic systems on Sel. 

A couple of thoughts on this:

1) Do many Selish cultures have a totem that can translate 'runes' between dominions of magic? Fjorden is said to have a magic sword that was wielded by a once great king. Does this sword possess a similar ability?

2) What makes the Moon Scepter work? Maipon talks about moon rocks that fell from the sky and that inspired the art of Forging. Do these moon rocks grant the power? Is the moon scepter a splinter like a Seon? What makes the Moon Scepter function? Also, would a forgery of the Moon Scepter also function? We do have one of those forgeries floating around. 

3) Why did Hoid want the Moon Scepter? Did he plan on using it to translate other magics on Sel? Did he plan on bringing it to another world?

4) Can the Moon Scepter be used on other planets? Could the Scepter grant you the ability to adjust Aeons to function on Roshar or Threnody?

5) Can the Moon Scepter understand other forms of investiture? Would a skilled scientist be able to scan other magic systems and perhaps discover new commands, oaths, or alloys?

I find the existence of this artifact to be especially interesting. Whoever had this artifact (or copy) might be able to 'hack' the different magic systems with ease. I really hope we can get some more information on this.

Edited by teknopathetic

About your question:
1) It's very unlikely that Elantrian have something like that, they suffer far from the city therefore they don't know how to draw otherplace's Dor. This don't mean that the Moon Shepter is unique just that not any civilization had its own Rosetta Stone.

2) I have no "strong idea" but: If the MoonShepter is a Forgery made to rewrite itself wherever it is on Sel (using the local Dor) and his "information" upgraded with the rewrite ?

3) The Dor works very oddly and different to "Standard Investiture", maybe Hoid tried to "deeply understand" own use it for his purpose.

4) I say no, the Schepter is a Traslate table to the "Programmable Investiture" of Sel. And we know that the Dor is very Local on Sel. With it you may use other "concentration of Dor" different by our own. But on other Planet there isn't any Dor.

5) No idea at all, but if my theory (point 2) is true or at least near of the true. The Sheptre doesn't work off-world.

This is a lot of Speculation and a little Facts. But at the moment I had nothing more

1) i think given that the sceptre is a symbol of the Rose Empire (ergo a sign of Dominion) it could be that there are tools more aligned with Dominion, like that of the sword and sceptre, whereas the systems aligned more with Devotion may use an amplifier akin to Elantris

2) I asked about if the gemstone mentioned in minor SA spoilers

the second letter

was one that could be on sceptre but I got a no on that one. We aren't given a description of the sceptre (which was why I asked in the first place)

3) I think Hoid might come up with a way to hack it so as to help with language translation, as well as magic hacking. Seeing as Elantris/TES are early Cosmere, it would make sense.

4/5) presumably, given the way Ashraven's soul forgery worked and providing people believe the sceptre is the real one, it could be possible for it to be used to translate and form Aons etc. using other types of investiture

On why Hoid would want it, I'd presume it has some Shardic connection, either containing the physical essence of Devotion or Dominion or else being powered by a splinter like Fabrials.

Either would be of potential interest to Hoid who has amassed quite a bit of Shardic Investiture.

Oh, man! What if this finally solves the mystery of (Stormlight/Mistborn spoilers)

what Hoid did with his bead of lerasium! Brandon sure was cryptic, saying that he "originally" was going to burn it to become Mistborn, as if he didn't actually do that. And yet, we do see him fairly obviously using allomancy on Shallan in WoR. He already has feruchemy, and we have no idea what lerasium stores. Perhaps this "Rosetta Stone" sceptre allows him to use his bead as a metalmind but translate its powers into allomancy, like the reverse of what Compounding does.

I think all magic systems can be used on other shard worlds but its more like a life hack/ patchwork job.

Oh, man! What if this finally solves the mystery of (Stormlight/Mistborn spoilers)

what Hoid did with his bead of lerasium! Brandon sure was cryptic, saying that he "originally" was going to burn it to become Mistborn, as if he didn't actually do that. And yet, we do see him fairly obviously using allomancy on Shallan in WoR. He already has feruchemy, and we have no idea what lerasium stores. Perhaps this "Rosetta Stone" sceptre allows him to use his bead as a metalmind but translate its powers into allomancy, like the reverse of what Compounding does.

I always thought from the letter that he actually placed it in/underneath his skin so it would be in his system and be able to functionally use it without it changing his spirit web DNA..It just seems the kind of awful punning Hoid would use..LOL

Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say.

Edited by WEZ313

I think all magic systems can be used on other shard worlds but its more like a life hack/ patchwork job.

I always thought from the letter that he actually placed it in/underneath his skin so it would be in his system and be able to functionally use it without it changing his spirit web DNA..It just seems the kind of awful punning Hoid would use..LOL

I assumed that letter to be a pretty obvious giveaway that Hoid burned the Lerasium and became Mistborn.

My question is - how do we know that Hoid has Feruchemy? Where did we ever see him use it, or were told that he has it? 

Edited by 11thorderknight

I assumed that letter to be a pretty obvious giveaway that Hoid burned the Lerasium and became Mistborn.

My question is - how do we know that Hoid has Feruchemy? Where did we ever see him use it, or were told that he has it? 

WoB on Hoid's uncanny ability to be places where things are going down is that it's an unknown application of feruchemy.  

There is also a WOB somewhere that implys that he has found a unique use for it..He has not used it but he already has the abilities of an Allomancer (he uses Emotion Allomancy on Shallan and her Father) and a Feruchemist(he somehow uses Feruchemy to see where he needs to be)..

Edited by WEZ313

• 2 months later...

Yes, TES takes place "shortly" after Elantris

Question
When does Emperor's Soul take place in relation to the events of Elantris?

Brandon Sanderson
After them.

QUESTION
Like how long after?

BRANDON SANDERSON
I haven't answered that yet.

[Laughter]

A lot of people keep asking. But after them, but not so far after them that the technology level has shifted, which I allow, in my worlds, to happen. And also not so far after that the Emperor's Soul- if you keep your eyes open you will see a Derethi priest in full armor. And so, not so far after that the kingdoms we are familiar with no longer exist. They do exist and the tech level has not shifted dramatically so you can use that to kind of ballpark for yourself, a range. It's certainly not thousands of years later, in other words.
(source)

• Chaos locked this topic