Shadows of Self Tour: London Forbidden Planet signing

ParadoxicalZen

It is not an official WoB, but Alice on Tor.com asked Brandon about Ym at the Spokane signing (I think).

She asked Brandon if Ym was an Edgedancer. To this, Brandon answered that Ym's spren didn't look at all like Wyndle, which she countered by saying she thought Ym's spren manifested the way Wyndle would if you couldn't see the Cognitive Realm. Apparently, Brandon just smiled and said something like: "I'm going to RAFO that. You're very wise, and I put the description in for a reason, but I'm going to RAFO for now."

That's basically how she wrote it.

That does provide more evidence, but we've had a discussion about that before. Listeners do not seem to see spren differently from humans - what they seem to see is the transition as spren go from Cognitive to Physical, which makes spren seem a little weird for a moment. I do not expect Lift sees spren differently.

The theory isn't impossible certainly, but I do not find it likely.

That does provide more evidence, but we've had a discussion about that before. Listeners do not seem to see spren differently from humans - what they seem to see is the transition as spren go from Cognitive to Physical, which makes spren seem a little weird for a moment. I do not expect Lift sees spren differently.

The theory isn't impossible certainly, but I do not find it likely.

I agree it is not conclusive evidence, but Brandon's response gave me the impression there was perhaps something there... and if I combine it with the new one stating we have indeed met two Edgedancers...

If not Ym, then who is the second Edgedancer? We may have heard next to nothing about Hatham, but I don't want him to become an Edgedancer. This would be weird for reasons I cannot explain...

If not Ym, then who is the second Edgedancer? We may have heard next to nothing about Hatham, but I don't want him to become an Edgedancer. This would be weird for reasons I cannot explain...

Sebarial would be my first suspect. He likes to "take in strays", as his not-wife puts it.

Palona smiled. “Winds know, you’re not the first stray he’s brought home. Some of us even end up staying.” She left.

Sebarial would be my first suspect. He likes to "take in strays", as his not-wife puts it.

Palona smiled. “Winds know, you’re not the first stray he’s brought home. Some of us even end up staying.” She left.

Oh good one... much better than Hatham. Still I would have prefer if Cemci had managed to extract something relevant to Adolin's future. Sigh. I guess that's too much of a RAFO.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the really long delay in getting the recording online. I had some major techincal issues with my phone. Better late than never I hope.

This is quite a good one, with the Moonsceptre=Rosetta Stone reveal, as well as tidbits like the 'white branch' from the Ghostblood's treasure room actually being from Yolen.

Edited by Havoc

...as well as tidbits like the 'white branch' from the Ghostblood's treasure room actually being from Yolen.

:o

Well let's hope they didn't forget to get rid of all the skullmoss that might have been on that fain branch before Worldhopping to Roshar with it!

• 2 weeks later...

[00:23:45]

Questioner: Why are there so many Kholins that are Radiants?
Brandon: [...] So the Kholin family is in Alethkar, which hereditary was one of the homes of the Knights Radiant.  It’s still kind of in the forefront of the, how shall we say, collective unconscious and things like this.  Plus there’s--
Questioner: And then they are on the forefront of that.
Brandon: Yes.  I mean... yeah.  The--  And so the spren, some of them are naturally looking for where a lot of Radiants used to be.  So it’s just a higher concentration of spren around the area, if that makes sense?

This is interesting. I had assumed that spren kind of feel when a human is suitable for a bond, but this makes it sound like they can choose to actively look around, see what's on the market. 

[01:00:25]

Questioner: You said at one point that it is all one plate--
Brandon: Yes.
Questioner: --that there's no tectonic activity.  What is the interior of the planet like?
Brandon: That’s a good question.
Questioner: You’re not going to answer.
Brandon: You’re not going to get an answer on that one.  It’s a weird planet, let’s just say that.  It’s a pretty weird planet.

Oooh, giant crustacean at the heart of Roshar confirmed!

[01:00:40]

Questioner: Are the diamonds naturally occurring?
Brandon: Yes, but most are going to be-- they aren’t-- all gemstones are naturally occurring, but most of, many or most of, the gems they are getting they are getting from creatures that grow them, not from the rock.  Though there are mines on Roshar, you just have to-- most of them are on the leeward side of mountains, where the crem isn’t being deposited.
Questioner: [Are diamonds mined?]
Brandon: it was a created planet, keep that in mind.

This is new, isn't it? Roshar was also created?

Edited by Argent

Yeah, pretty sure we didn't know that before. I'm actually surprised we didn't see this coming now that we have that WoB, though. I mean, the major continent didn't always exist, but it is in the shape of a mathematical construct (sort of, 2D cut of a 3D something or other of a Julia Set....). Reminds me of the cymatic cities.

So yeah, totally makes sense that the planet is created. And that kind of implies that most planets are natural.

And Breaths are on the Physical Realm? Wow, ok.

No, I know I've heard about Roshar being created before.  Don't know where exactly though...  But it was in the context of the shape of the continent being a clue that it didn't arise naturally, and another time it was Brandon saying there wasn't always a landmass on Roshar.

No, I know I've heard about Roshar being created before.  Don't know where exactly though...  But it was in the context of the shape of the continent being a clue that it didn't arise naturally, and another time it was Brandon saying there wasn't always a landmass on Roshar.

But then this seems contradicted by this WoB

FIRE ARCADIA

You have said before that all the planets had their names before the arrival of the Shards. Is Roshar the planet's name before the Shards arrived?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

So the planet was created by Adonalsium, I guess? Or by another Shard who left the planet to Honor, Cultivation, and Odium?

Or the "planet was created" could be referring to a reshaping of the world like we see in Mistborn.

But then this seems contradicted by this WoB

So the planet was created by Adonalsium, I guess? Or by another Shard who left the planet to Honor, Cultivation, and Odium?

Or the "planet was created" could be referring to a reshaping of the world like we see in Mistborn.

We have separate WoB that Adonalsium visited Roshar, and that the listeners and Rosharan humans pre-existed the Ascension of Honor and Cultivation.  It seems clear to me that it was Adonalsium that created life on Roshar (which fits with the Second Letter saying the world's Hoid now tread bear the "touch of Adonalsium").

1) There was a WoB about what Shard Hoid would be tempted by, to which you said was Endowment. Why is that exactly?

Brandon - It is mainly to do with events from that happened in his past.

Is this referring to the death of the original Hoid (our Hoid's master)? Does this mean that Endowment can bring back long-dead people, not just the recently deceased as we know she does with the Returned?

2) In the Second Letter Frost mentions a gemstone; is this the Moon Sceptre?

Brandon - No, no it isn't but good question. It is actually in relation to Topaz, a name used frequently in his past

Also this. Relevant quote from the letter: "I’ll address this letter to my “old friend,” as I have no idea what name you’re using currently. Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead?"

I haven't read the unpublished novels, but does the name Topaz appear in any of them? And what does anyone think is the meaning of Topaz being dead? Is it just that people of some world "know" Topaz (Hoid's false identity) to be dead, so he can't use the name there anymore? Or was the name inspired by something related to topaz, which has now been destroyed/killed?

We have separate WoB that Adonalsium visited Roshar, and that the listeners and Rosharan humans pre-existed the Ascension of Honor and Cultivation.  It seems clear to me that it was Adonalsium that created life on Roshar (which fits with the Second Letter saying the world's Hoid now tread bear the "touch of Adonalsium").

Sorry, I got distracted by other things in this thread, but that makes sense. You are probably right.

Questioner: Have we--  I think you mentioned in a previous signing that we’d already met one member of every Order of the Knights Radiant.

Brandon: Yes, I think you have.

Questioner: My question is, have we met two Edgedancers?  And is one of the Dustbringers a viewpoint character?

Brandon: One of the Dustbringers is eventually a point-of-view character.

Questioner: Haven’t been yet?

Brandon: Nnnnoooo, not yet, I don’t think.  But it depends if you count the Heralds as members of their order.

Questioner: I don’t.

Brandon: Oh, see I would, because they’re kind of heads of their Order.  If you don’t count them you have not met some from every Order.

Questioner: [Have we met someone from the Dustbringers?]

Brandon: Well… Dustbringers are really complicated.  /Really/ complicated.  So that’s the weird one.  Okay?  So let’s shelve that one.  You’ll see why it’s really weird later on.

So we haven't met someone who isn't a Herald for all of the orders and one Dustbringer will eventually become a viewpoint character but currently isn't. The phrasing makes it obvious: no Dustbringer has had a POV yet. So the Adolin will become a Dustbringer theory can finally rest in peace  -_-

Does someone have a recapitulation of all the Heralds we have met? 

Have we met anyone who may be on the path to becoming a Stoneward? Because if not, doesn't this confirm that the Taln we meet is indeed the Herald Talenel?

Not that I know of, but remember future knights may be barely mentioned side characters we haven't thought of. However, the WoB does confirm we have yet to meet a representative of all orders while we have been assuming we had. 

Have we met Veden? If so, then the second Edgedancer Brandon confirmed we have met in another WoB is likely him as he just explained he usually counts the Heralds as members of their orders while we, the readers, don't. It would also confirm Ym was a Truthwatcher.

Also this. Relevant quote from the letter: "I’ll address this letter to my “old friend,” as I have no idea what name you’re using currently. Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead?"

I haven't read the unpublished novels, but does the name Topaz appear in any of them? And what does anyone think is the meaning of Topaz being dead? Is it just that people of some world "know" Topaz (Hoid's false identity) to be dead, so he can't use the name there anymore? Or was the name inspired by something related to topaz, which has now been destroyed/killed?

If I remember correctly Topaz is the name he uses in Dragonsteel Prime.  And the transcription does have a little more in Brandon's answer for this question.  I've had a theory that the gemstone was actually an aether for a while, and after this there really isn't any doubt in my mind.

@Maxal, if you are referring to the Edgedancer Herald then her name is Vedel.  Veden is an adjective describing stuff from Jah Keved.  I cannot recall any theories on characters that might be her.

Questioner: Have we--  I think you mentioned in a previous signing that we’d already met one member of every Order of the Knights Radiant.

Brandon: Yes, I think you have.

Questioner: My question is, have we met two Edgedancers?  And is one of the Dustbringers a viewpoint character?

Brandon: One of the Dustbringers is eventually a point-of-view character.

Questioner: Haven’t been yet?

Brandon: Nnnnoooo, not yet, I don’t think.  But it depends if you count the Heralds as members of their order.

Questioner: I don’t.

Brandon: Oh, see I would, because they’re kind of heads of their Order.  If you don’t count them you have not met some from every Order.

Questioner: [Have we met someone from the Dustbringers?]

Brandon: Well… Dustbringers are really complicated.  /Really/ complicated.  So that’s the weird one.  Okay?  So let’s shelve that one.  You’ll see why it’s really weird later on.

So we haven't met someone who isn't a Herald for all of the orders and one Dustbringer will eventually become a viewpoint character but currently isn't. The phrasing makes it obvious: no Dustbringer has had a POV yet. So the Adolin will become a Dustbringer theory can finally rest in peace  -_-

Does someone have a recapitulation of all the Heralds we have met? 

I parsed that WoB differently.  I thought he was saying "If you count the Heralds [we've seen Nalan, Taln, Shalash, Kalak, the guy Nalan was talking to at Gavilar's assassination, and the drunk that Jasnah ran into during the same event] you've seen a member of every order.  If not, you have not."  Furthermore, assuming that Kalak hasn't made a repeat appearance, we can deduce the other two Heralds. 

First off, gender.  The two unknown Heralds are male, and therefore are not Chana, Vedel, Pali, or Battar.  That leaves Jezrien and Ishar as the two remaining Heralds.  Given that Nalan spoke disparagingly of Jezrien's "drooling" after Lift escapes his "judgment," it seems likely that the drunk Jasnah ran into was in fact Jezrien.  Therefore, Nalan's jumpy counterpart was Ishar.  

Therefore:

Windrunners: Kaladin, Jezrien

Skybreakers: Nalan

Dustbringers: Actually, this may be the odd one out.  Did Chana make an appearance during Kalak's prologue?  

Edgedancers: Lift.  

Truthwatchers: Ym, Renarin.

Lightweavers: Shallan, Shalash.

Elsecallers: Jasnah.

Willshapers: Kalak

Stonewards: Taln

Bondsmiths: Ishi, Dalinar.  

If I remember correctly Topaz is the name he uses in Dragonsteel Prime.  And the transcription does have a little more in Brandon's answer for this question.  I've had a theory that the gemstone was actually an aether for a while, and after this there really isn't any doubt in my mind.

@Maxal, if you are referring to the Edgedancer Herald then her name is Vedel.  Veden is an adjective describing stuff from Jah Keved.  I cannot recall any theories on characters that might be her.

Sorry. I misspelled. Yes, I meant Vedel the Herald of the Edgedancers whom I had assumed was a man until now... I admit I never pay much heed to Heralds until then as I had limited interest into their whereabouts  :ph34r:

I parsed that WoB differently.  I thought he was saying "If you count the Heralds [we've seen Nalan, Taln, Shalash, Kalak, the guy Nalan was talking to at Gavilar's assassination, and the drunk that Jasnah ran into during the same event] you've seen a member of every order.  If not, you have not."  Furthermore, assuming that Kalak hasn't made a repeat appearance, we can deduce the other two Heralds. 

First off, gender.  The two unknown Heralds are male, and therefore are not Chana, Vedel, Pali, or Battar.  That leaves Jezrien and Ishar as the two remaining Heralds.  Given that Nalan spoke disparagingly of Jezrien's "drooling" after Lift escapes his "judgment," it seems likely that the drunk Jasnah ran into was in fact Jezrien.  Therefore, Nalan's jumpy counterpart was Ishar.  

Therefore:

Windrunners: Kaladin, Jezrien

Skybreakers: Nalan

Dustbringers: Actually, this may be the odd one out.  Did Chana make an appearance during Kalak's prologue?  

Edgedancers: Lift.  

Truthwatchers: Ym, Renarin.

Lightweavers: Shallan, Shalash.

Elsecallers: Jasnah.

Willshapers: Kalak

Stonewards: Taln

Bondsmiths: Ishi, Dalinar.  

Thanks, this is great. This is exactly what I was looking for. If we haven't met Chana (I don't remember if we did either), then it means we have met a future representative of  the Dustbringer, though not someone who currently had a POV. My guess is Reddin the bastard.

The WoB also implies we have not met a representative of each order IF we exclude the Heralds which means we may not have met someone fitting within the orders of Skybreaker and Willshapers.

It thus bodes really bad for any theory involving Rysn as a Radiant (people typically places her with the Dustbringer or the Willshapers). 

It's still up in the air whether Ym was an Edgedancer or Truthwatcher.

We have a WoB confirming we have seen two Edgedancers. We now have this WoB which explains how Brandon has previously been including the Heralds when counting the members of a given order. 

If we have seen Vedel, then it means she is the second Edgedancer and Ym has to be a Truthwatcher.

Sebarial for Willshaper 2017!

I sincerely doubt so. There is another WoB where Brandon says tension and cohesion wouldn't be explore until the second half as the characters using them won't be major until then. Combined with the fact we have not met representative for each order if we exclude the Heralds, then I somehow doubt we have met a proto-Willshaper or a proto-Stoneward. 

I thus don't think any theory linking Sebrarial or Lopen to these orders will come true.

I sincerely doubt so. There is another WoB where Brandon says tension and cohesion wouldn't be explore until the second half as the characters using them won't be major until then. Combined with the fact we have not met representative for each order if we exclude the Heralds, then I somehow doubt we have met a proto-Willshaper or a proto-Stoneward. 

I thus don't think any theory linking Sebrarial or Lopen to these orders will come true.

I don't feel Lopen is radiant material, and those thinking he is going to become a KR are just mistaken in their understanding of Squires (which is completely understandable given how difficult it is to find good info on Squires).

But Sebarial I'm still betting on. He fits, almost too perfectly. Though I, admittedly, originally thought him Bondsmith material, I had been missing some info on Willshapers at the time. Don't be so quick to write him off  :P

I don't feel Lopen is radiant material, and those thinking he is going to become a KR are just mistaken in their understanding of Squires (which is completely understandable given how difficult it is to find good info on Squires).

But Sebarial I'm still betting on. He fits, almost too perfectly. Though I, admittedly, originally thought him Bondsmith material, I had been missing some info on Willshapers at the time. Don't be so quick to write him off  :P

Maybe far in the future, but not at the current time.  He doesn't seem "broken" in the way Shallan or Kaladin are, and even the loss of his favorite sparring partner (Roion) didn't seem to give him more than a moment's pause at the time.  Maybe next book or the book after, once he's had time to let it sink in.