Shadows For Silence - Reactions

Windrunner

1 hour ago, red032 said:

OR it has something to do with the fact that the shade was imprisioned on a shrine to the mysterious "God Beyond". The name God Beyond struck a note with Mistborn: Secret History where Beyond is where the souls go when they die and.... uh... go away? There´s got to be a connection.

I thought it was stated in the book that it was because of how old of a shade her grandmother is. The more recent the shade conversion, the more the shade holds the form it once had. The long the shade is a shade, the more it loses its form. 

8 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I thought it was stated in the book that it was because of how old of a shade her grandmother is. The more recent the shade conversion, the more the shade holds the form it once had. The long the shade is a shade, the more it loses its form. 

Yes, but it did not attack Silence.

19 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Again, I believe it is because of how recent a shade she is. 

I think the same, but her was also among the first generation to come in the Forests of Hell and therefore it's not native of Threnody. Maybe she is less compatible with the Shade's trasformation than people born on Threnody (for some kind of Investiture's intereference)... I have no proof for this thing, but it's something we have to considerate.

Or not born in the Forests of Hell, at least. It's still undetermined if the Homeland was a different planet or not.

We know at this point that Threnody is in it's own system and the Cosmere is a dwarf galaxy so the same stars can be seen from most of the planets. It does seem to be close to Sel and Scadrial though, based on Mistborn: Secret History. Our best bet for learning more is when Arcanum Unbound comes up, because it will include a congnitive map and Khriss is writing something about each of the planets (or maybe systems).

I think the God Beyond and the Great Beyond, etc. are all things Brandon has no plans to touch on. It's his way of keeping discussions about the real-world afterlife, Heaven, intense discussions about real-world religions, etc. I could be wrong about that, but I thought I read a generic WoB or WoP on it at some point. Or maybe it was from the people doing translations (e.g. FeatherWriter). 

Anyway, assuming that's true then something must be preventing them from moving to the Beyond and the big question is what that something is.

Her mother was very strong-willed, so maybe she can resist it better. Or maybe it has to do with being surrounded by silver. It could just be a strong reminder giving her grandmother a willpower boost. Or maybe it offers some form of protection against whatever is affecting cognitive shadows in the Forest of Hell. I'm leaning towards the silver playing a part.

I guess we should be glad this is in the Cosmere or might never have a chance to learn about it. 

• 8 months later...
  • Chaos unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

To me this was a very different type of story than the other cosmere tales. This is not a grand story about injustice or evil empires this is the story of an ordinary person persevering in (Pardon the pun) a hellish situation. She looks after her family and in the process faces her inner demons. She learns how to survive despite the darkness which surrounds her. All in all a excellently written story.

16 minutes ago, HelloMyNameIsDrBloodborne said:

So, with a Threnody novel on the way, does anyone else think William Ann might be a main character? Silence seems like she has her roots in pretty deep at the inn, but William Ann could potentially be the adventurous type.

Depends on how well she recovers honestly. 

A independent, adventurous, partly Withered bounty hunter could be a pretty awesome character though 

Sounds like any Threnody story may not focus on the same characters though

Untitled Threnody Story

There’s a novel in the Threnody system I’ve been planning for many, many years. Might as well move it onto this list. I’d originally planned it as the arrival of people in hell after fleeing the Evil that destroyed their homeland across the sea, but I’m toying with flipping this around, sending an expedition back to the destroyed continent.

Either way, a Threnody novel has been part of the cosmere since before I got published, so I’m confident we’ll see more from it eventually. If you’re confused by all this, might I mention again the value in grabbing a copy of Arcanum Unbounded?

State of the Sanderson 2016

And this from just a few weeks ago

Q: When does the next Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell happen?

A: There’s a book in that world about an entire expeditionary team that sails forth to destroy the evil. The book starts with a person holding to the plank of a ship as the entire fleet sails back while it’s being destroyed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

So I have a few questions and potential answers

1. The perpendicularity to Threnody is caused by killing aperson. This is indicated by Hoid in his appearance in Mistborn: Secret History. He comes riding on a corpse and claims it is his raft. Khriss also mentions in Arcanum Unbounded that the perpendicularity is "morbid". Which would be a heavy indication of this. My question how do you kill a person and cause a perpendicularity? Is it caused by using certain abilities? Is it similar to Hemalurgy?

2. The evil is likely Ambition. My question is how did Odium cause such damage to the shard, while not causing the power to disapear? It apears primal, but also is alluded to have specifically tried to kill humanity. Whereas the shards of Sel seemed to become uncaring, and unalive. Requiring human intervention. But why is Ambition able to still operate to some capacity, while other shattered shards are left mindless?