Shadows of Self Newspaper

Patar

So I'm sure we all noticed a peculiar article in the newspaper during Shadows of Self. I'm not sure if there will be any spoilers, as it doesn't seem to relate to the overall plot of the book, but better safe than sorry.

The article I'm talking about is the one titled "Visitors from other Worlds." In this article, Lady Nicelle Sauvage was lost somewhere in the Southern Roughs. While she was wandering around she discovered a "mountain pool of the most perfect blue." Upon further investigation, she saw a hunched figure, and described it as "A shadow... Piercing eyes, and a face like some otherworldy beast." She ran away from the creature, and set up camp in a different location.

So any idea who/what this thing is? What strikes me most was that the creature was crouched next to a pool. Could this possibly be Harmony's Shardpool, and someone, or something, worldhopped to that Shardpool? I'm a bit rusty on my Stormlight Archive, but does this match the description of the Parshendi at all? That was my first thought when I read it. What do you all think?

Parshendi was my first thought as well. As for the pool, i recall Rock talking about something similar in the Horneater Peaks. Hoid (at least i think it was Hoid, because of how Sigzil reacted) came out of the pool and made fun of Rock. 

He also calls it the Realm of the Gods (i'm paraphrasing), so i assume it's an entrance into Shadesmar. 

Yeah, my immediate thought was 'someone traveled to Scadrial via shardpool at just the right time to spook a local'. I hadn't made the Parshendi connection but that would fit the description, assuming it's not someone/something we haven't seen before. As for the nature of the pool, yeah, it sounds similar to Devotion's in description and IIRC, we have a Word of Brandon that both Ruin and Preservation's original shardpools no longer exist so it could be that Harmony now has just one and located it in a mountain for old time's sake.

And since the topic is the newspaper, one that caught my eye, paraphrased: Baker decorates cupcakes with Atium flakes. Assuming that's true, that takes the idea of pot brownies to a whole new level. Eat this and you can see the future. No, really. One wonders how much that costs since the entire world should still be coasting on whatever Atium was left after the Final Ascension, not counting the bag Marsh is using to extend his lifespan. Of course, proving you're actually using Atium flakes would be tricky since you'd need a super-rare misting with that ability to verify it and that's not exactly easy to test for unless you have a god helping you out. Either way, great marketing ploy.

And since the topic is the newspaper, one that caught my eye, paraphrased: Baker decorates cupcakes with Atium flakes. Assuming that's true, that takes the idea of pot brownies to a whole new level. Eat this and you can see the future. No, really. One wonders how much that costs since the entire world should still be coasting on whatever Atium was left after the Final Ascension, not counting the bag Marsh is using to extend his lifespan. Of course, proving you're actually using Atium flakes would be tricky since you'd need a super-rare misting with that ability to verify it and that's not exactly easy to test for unless you have a god helping you out. Either way, great marketing ploy.

Not that great, since Atium is the Lost Metal and all except Marsh's bag was burned in the final battle of HoA. And Atium mistings most likely do not exist anymore. So everyone will assume it is a Hoax, wich it is.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

As for the pool, I asked Brandon if it was a shardpool at the signing, and got RAFO'd.  I suppose I really shouldn't have expected anything else, but I thought I might as well ask.  He did his "I know something I'm not telling you" smile, though, so I think it's safe to say there's something going on with that pool.

My personal opinion is that it's a shardpool, though I'm still not certain who I think the worldhopper is.  

Oh, and there's no way the atium flakes are real.  It's common for the media (especially in that time period) to report sensational things like that without real proof.

I like the idea of the worldhopper being Iyatil. The broadsheet in SoS has a masked person as the image next to the blurb, and we know Iyatil's part of a worldhopping crew, so...

It would be nice to see the Ghostbloods operating on another world. Might give us more information about their goals.

I dunno. It might be Eshonai. I am not convinced that Adolin is right about her. (don't know how to add spoiler tags- first post so that is roundabout.) She does have Plate after all. And her race can sit outside in storms almost without any protection and, combined with Plate, she may have been able to survive. She may have found a way to worldhop and used it then or sometime else. BTW just playing devils advocate. I think Adolin is right, but I am not certain about it.

What ever it was at the pool was tired, or at the very least kneeling as if tired, if I remember correctly, so if it was a world hop, then there may be evidence for something (no clue what) that hopping is draining. This could be regardless of the Investiture used to do the hop. Maybe for the inexperienced? Or just for everyone regardless?

Evidence against it is that she is supposed to be a flashback (right?...) and we have WoB that they don't have to be alive for it, and I think it is Eshonai that dies for her book.

Besides all that, even if it is one of the Parshendi, and even if they are an agent of Odium, the newspaper was recent (I think, don't own a copy to check... yey friends that loan it to me). There is no way they could have influenced events that much. Certainly not enough to spike Lassie or some such. They are too new to the world to understand it's current political state, or really anything about it yet. I highly doubt Odium knows much about Scadrial right now.

Besides all that I have said up there. This newspaper HAS to be important. It wouldn't be in the book otherwise. Other books have had things that at first glance are pointless, but are actually really interesting (Navani notebook, looking at you <.<). There just isn't room for anything the books that doesn't matter at least a little bit. Especially something like this that doesn't follow standard formatting, and requires an artist. So we can at least know that the paper is important somehow.

Maybe the bit about the guy that is mad about coinshots breaking things accidentally will be a problem later. Something like the lawsuit storm that happens in the Incredibles. I doubt it, but maybe possible.

The picture of the visitor has a beard though, and Iyatil is (I'm pretty sure) a woman. Not completely convincing but still seems unlikely that it's her. Maybe its someone from her world? possibly a member of 17s or a Ghostblood? The beard could indicate Parshendi too, don't the men have beards?

WoB says that there is only Harmony as a shard on Scadrial. However, that doesn't mean that another shard or shards aren't interfering, it just means they haven't gone there and Invested yet. Maybe Paalm was used/sent to clear the way. 

Do we know for certain that each Shard only gets one Shardpool? The pools in Rock's story seem to say that there are several there. Maybe other Shards have their pools scattered around?

The picture of the visitor has a beard though, and Iyatil is (I'm pretty sure) a woman. Not completely convincing but still seems unlikely that it's her. Maybe its someone from her world? possibly a member of 17s or a Ghostblood? The beard could indicate Parshendi too, don't the men have beards?

Crackpot theory: Iyatil is WalDo!

WoB says that there is only Harmony as a shard on Scadrial. However, that doesn't mean that another shard or shards aren't interfering, it just means they haven't gone there and Invested yet. Maybe Paalm was used/sent to clear the way. 

Do we know for certain that each Shard only gets one Shardpool? The pools in Rock's story seem to say that there are several there. Maybe other Shards have their pools scattered around?

I think it's reasonable to include Iyatil's species as a candidate, given how insistent she is on wearing her mask, and the description of the face. It's possible it could also be a Parshendi if the eyewitness was sufficiently paniced to overlook some of their similarities to humans.

I'd be hesitant to trust any evidence that wasn't in the text itself; I'm assuming that the person who drew the picture didn't actually see the worldhopper.  Since the text itself doesn't actually mention a beard, it might just be an addition of the newspaper artist.  Of course, Brandon rarely does anything without a reason, so there still might be a reason for the beard...

The Southern Roughs is just the region immediately south of the Elendel Basin, so a few hundred miles south(east) of Elendel proper. I'm pretty sure the southern peoples are a lot farther away than that

And I can't think why the Parshendi couldn't worldhop if they were to learn a method of doing it. We know it's not something that requires one specific sDNA pattern because characters from multiple worlds have beeh seen doing it. No reason to think that just because Parshendi don't attract spren in the same way that humans on Roshar do, that it means they can't worldhop or that they need a special form to do it. Though worldhopping while in one of their Voidbringer forms would probably be a bad thing...

Also, yeah, pretty sure the north and south Scadrian civilizations don't stray too far from the poles. Elendel is probably farther than Luthadel used to be, but I doubt the southern area has even moved.

Edited by natc

• Chaos locked this topic