Quick note on Willshapers and Elsecallers

FirstSelector

I asked Brandon to sign my two books with "tell me something about the Order of Elsecallers" and "tell me something about the Order of Willshapers."

He responded "Turning stone into putty is fun!" and "Popping in and out of Shadesmar is fun too!"

It's not a huge thing, but it gives an interesting insight into how Cohesion works.

Going through some old WoB... Anyone remembering this one when thinking about potential Willshapers?

Q: Have we met or had a point of view (POV) from anyone who will become a Willshaper?
A: Yes, and he said he was pretty sure it had been a POV. He wouldn’t say any more about it, though.

Going through some old WoB... Anyone remembering this one when thinking about potential Willshapers?

Q: Have we met or had a point of view (POV) from anyone who will become a Willshaper?

A: Yes, and he said he was pretty sure it had been a POV. He wouldn’t say any more about it, though.

Nice one. Now we must look into all our PoVs that aren't dead or from other order. For now I suspect Navani the most, followed by Axies.

Can you source this? If it's from before WoR came out, that SEVERELY restricts the potential number of candidates.

Can you source this? If it's from before WoR came out, that SEVERELY restricts the potential number of candidates.

Oudeis it's from after WoR's release. I found it on Tor.com. Someone posted questions he asked to Brandon at one of the WoR signings, but that person obviously was not a Sharder so I don't think it ended up here (I don't recall reading it, but I may have missed it too). It's old, from March 2014, so right after the release. 

It does restrict the candidates as we know:

1) It is someone Brandon is pretty sure has had a POV

2) Can't be someone too major as I feel the answer would have been different.

I would thus look into the interlude characters POV. 

I thought it'd be nice to be it here to fuel the discussion.... 

Edited by maxal

IMO, the largest Willshaper candidate right now is Eshonai.  It can't be a coincidence that Brandon is playing up Eshonai's desire to travel the world (remember her love of maps?), and she did have that weird spren bothering her at Narak (or was that just the stormspren?  I forget).

Rysn and Eshonai have always been my prime guests, but the wording of the WoB makes me wary... He said he was pretty sure we have had a POV from that character... Would he say this about Rysn or Eshonai? They are pretty important interlude characters...

Axis perhaps seems more probable now. 

There is also the fact we know we won't read much about Willshaper until the second half as its main character won't be playing a large role until then... Does't this kinda of rules out Eshonai who is set for a theme-centered book in the first half?

Maybe she is out Dustbringer... People had that theory a while back, but at the time, she was not the main contender for the angry order. However that train has now passed and we lack a candidate for this order, once again.

Maybe she is out Dustbringer... People had that theory a while back, but at the time, she was not the main contender for the angry order. However that train has now passed and we lack a candidate for this order, once again.

The angry order... I can see why they were so angry, being know as the angry order and all.

I think people assume too much about the Releasers. Just because they would approve of the killing of Sadeas does not mean they are the Knights Hitmen. Just because they hated being called dustbringers does not mean they were angry and violent.

For me the attributes of Bravery and Obedience actualy mean Improvement and Duty. The dustbeingers as I se them would always push their thresholds, try to outgrow their weakness. They never abandon their duty, not because of the stubborness of the Stonewards, but because they know the consequences of failing and will take responsability for it.

Reminds me of a certain general that forced soldiers to paint and abandoned her love of exploration because of duty to her people.

Eshonai could go both ways, in my opinion, even if I prefered that she became a Willshaper.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

The angry order... I can see why they were so angry, being know as the angry order and all.

I think.people assume too much of the releasers. Just because they would approve of the killing of Sadeas does not mean they are the Knights Hitmen. Just because they hated being called dustbringers does not mean they were angry and violent.

For me the attributes of Bravery and Obedience actualy mean Improvement and Duty. The dustbeingers as I se them would always push their thresholds, try to outgrow their weakness. They never abandon their duty, not because of the stubborness of the Stonewards, but because they know the consequences of failing and will take responsability for it.

Reminds me if a certain general that forced soldiers to paint and abandoned her love of exploration because of duty to her people.

Eshonai could go both ways, in my opinion, even if I prefered that she became a Willshaper.

I too am more firmly into the Willshaper camp for her, but the WoB leaves me dubious. This being said, I still have no idea who could step into the shoes of our main Dustbringer. That order has been giving me headache ever since the release of WoR.

I too am more firmly into the Willshaper camp for her, but the WoB leaves me dubious. This being said, I still have no idea who could step into the shoes of our main Dustbringer. That order has been giving me headache ever since the release of WoR.

There are some who believe it will be Redin, the half-eyed bastard of King Valam. I think he is more of a Skybreaker, but hope we will see him again. Killing your own father on his orders... The poor guy will need much help to recover from it.

There are some who believe it will be Redin, the half-eyed bastard of King Valam. I think he is more of a Skybreaker, but hope we will see him again. Killing your own father on his orders... The poor guy will need much help to recover from it.

I am one of those who believes he may be the one, but he is such a minor characters... Shouldn't we get a major character for each order? 

I am one of those who believes he may be the one, but he is such a minor characters... Shouldn't we get a major character for each order?

Well, Taln will be on the back five. He is very minor, if you ignore the fact he is an Herald.

But yes, we are lacking major characters who seem to fit the Dustbringers. That may be because we got a very biased view of the order, however.

Well, Taln will be on the back five. He is very minor, if you ignore the fact he is an Herald.

But yes, we are lacking major characters who seem to fit the Skybreakers. That may be because we got a very biased view of the order, however.

We have Szeth...

Q: If Nightblood feeds on Breath, but Szeth doesn’t have it, will it feed on Stormlight?

A: Nightblood can feed off Stormlight, but Szeth can't draw in Stormlight right now. So he better not draw that sword, for a while at least.

I am personally not fond of the idea of Szeth becoming a Radiant, in fact, I think I hate it, but I am forced to admit this WoB pushes in that direction. Considering his blinding obedience to a rock, I'd say he would fall within the Skybreaker.

He's rather major despite not having many POV and he will have a focus book.

We have Szeth...

Q: If Nightblood feeds on Breath, but Szeth doesn’t have it, will it feed on Stormlight?

A: Nightblood can feed off Stormlight, but Szeth can't draw in Stormlight right now. So he better not draw that sword, for a while at least.

I am personally not fond of the idea of Szeth becoming a Radiant, in fact, I think I hate it, but I am forced to admit this WoB pushes in that direction. Considering his blinding obedience to a rock, I'd say he would fall within the Skybreaker.

He's rather major despite not having many POV and he will have a focus book.

Ops, I meant Dustbringers. Sorry.

Ops, I meant Dustbringers. Sorry.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yeah well I agree then. It could be one minor interlude character will grow in importance in the second half, though Brandon has said it would focus on the Heralds. 

We also have no idea which order are to be focused on in the first half.... With Renarin, Jasnah and Lift book being in the back five, I assumed the next featured orders will be the Skybreakers and the Bondsmiths, except Brandon did say we would not see much of Cohesion and Tension until the second half, so that rules out Willshaper and Stonewards for the first half... So perhaps Dustbringers, but we have no character. 

It thus means one order will be focus in a book where the flashback character won't be from that order... Quite puzzling.

LOPEN COMFIRMED!!!!

Not sure if this was confirmed anywhere, but my impression was that each book would focus on a different order, and the main character of that book would be a member of/the founder of that order. The following are characters he's mentioned as being main characters and their orders.

Kaladin - Windrunner

Shallan - Lightweaver

Szeth - Skybreaker

Dalinar - Bondsmith

Jasnah - Elsecaller

Renarin - Truthwatcher

Lift - Edgedancer

Taln - the Herald the Stonewards followed

That leaves Eshonai as a main character without an order and the orders Dustbringers and Willshapers. Of the two orders, I believe Eshonai fits the Dustbringers better. My impression while reading was that the Dustbringers weren't angry the way some people describe them; rather, they were just misunderstood. They had destructive powers and a willingness to do what was necessary, which gave them a bad reputation. I believe Eshonai fits this perfectly, like when she tries stir form first even though it might be dangerous because it could save her people. This might just be a coincidence, but Dustbringers were also called Releasers, and Eshonai is partly responsible for releasing the Everstorm.

That just leaves the Willshapers without a character. Of all the characters, I believe Rysn fits their description best. They loved adventure and oddities. She did a dangerous stunt and broke both her legs to complete a sale for a rare item. Besides, the item they were trading for was a dead creature that kings trade fortunes for. At the end of the chapter she got a live one which hasn't been seen in years and the people of the island have no control over. Those creatures sound an awful lot like spren to me…

Not sure if this was confirmed anywhere, but my impression was that each book would focus on a different order, and the main character of that book would be a member of/the founder of that order. The following are characters he's mentioned as being main characters and their orders.

Kaladin - Windrunner

Shallan - Lightweaver

Szeth - Skybreaker

Dalinar - Bondsmith

Jasnah - Elsecaller

Renarin - Truthwatcher

Lift - Edgedancer

Taln - the Herald the Stonewards followed

That leaves Eshonai as a main character without an order and the orders Dustbringers and Willshapers. Of the two orders, I believe Eshonai fits the Dustbringers better. My impression while reading was that the Dustbringers weren't angry the way some people describe them; rather, they were just misunderstood. They had destructive powers and a willingness to do what was necessary, which gave them a bad reputation. I believe Eshonai fits this perfectly, like when she tries stir form first even though it might be dangerous because it could save her people. This might just be a coincidence, but Dustbringers were also called Releasers, and Eshonai is partly responsible for releasing the Everstorm.

That just leaves the Willshapers without a character. Of all the characters, I believe Rysn fits their description best. They loved adventure and oddities. She did a dangerous stunt and broke both her legs to complete a sale for a rare item. Besides, the item they were trading for was a dead creature that kings trade fortunes for. At the end of the chapter she got a live one which hasn't been seen in years and the people of the island have no control over. Those creatures sound an awful lot like spren to me…

We don't know how the structure of each book will be organized with respect to the flashback character, the focus character and the featured order. All we know is not to expect the structure of book 1 and 2 to repeat itself.

We also no that fact a character does not get a flashback does not mean he is not important or major. So not all major characters get awesome flashbacks (much to my misery, but this is another discussion entirely) and reversely, I am starting to wonder if all flashback characters will play a major role within the main story arc.