Inbreading?

So how are the lights eyes not suffering from serious inbreeding? Society practically forces them to only marry those who have the same phenotypes as themselves. Even if it is only eye color, and hair on the side, the inbreeding should be enough over all these years to make some serious issues

So how are the lights eyes not suffering from serious inbreeding? Society practically forces them to only marry those who have the same phenotypes as themselves. Even if it is only eye color, and hair on the side, the inbreeding should be enough over all these years to make some serious issues

The number if lighteyes is bigger then the number of nobles would be on a similar society in our world. There are enough lighteyes outside the elite that would make the inbreeding restricted to the upper crust of society, and even then it is show that non-alethi hair colors are more commom among the nobility than among darkeyes, so it is actualy common to marry foreign lighteyes to avoid inbreeding without resorting to lower elements

So inbreeding must be as much of a problem as it was in the european nobility: existent, but not to the point of destroying the institution.

Somebody shall ask BS what percentage of the population Lighteyes make. I, personally, think something between 10-20 percent; do not forget that there are a lot of "tenners" (and presumably "niners" and "eighters"). The top-levels of the lighteye nobility (fourth Dahn and upwards) can have their problems with inbreed; that are only some thousands or even less (Lin Davar is 3rd, IIRC, and is short before major-player in Jah Keved)

It is mentioned in book how, ironically, the darkeyes had purer Alethi blood than the lighteyes due to the fact the latest were often forced to marry foreigners to secure their eye colors. Lighteyes are thus heavily mixed blood, as highlighted with the frequent string of light hair found in many.

However, I seem to recall how it is badly seen among the upper crust of society... many chose to die the non-black hair. The Highprinces likely marry their offspring to the offspring of other Highprinces. Jasnah hinted as much. 

Muahahahahahah... Sorry about the typo.

Seriously, I had wondered if Dalinar's parentage was ever put in doubt by bad-mouthed people.

You can be sure it was. Probably he just killed them short after.

You can be sure it was. Probably he just killed them short after.

Can't wait to read those flashback...

"Dalinar, are you sure this is your son? I mean, he does not even remotely look like you..."

Dalinar rilled up in anger, summons Oathbringer and slay the head of the torso of this idiotic lighteyes lunatic who dared say the boy was not his rightful son.

Galivar walks in.

"You know Dalinar, he has a point... The child does not favor you much... I recall you at his age, you were ugly as crem. Are you sure Shshsh has been faithful?"

Dalinar thinks to himself: I REALLY need to make a trip to the Nightwatcher before I kill him too.

Edited by maxal

"Dalinar, are you sure this is your son? I mean, he does not even remotely look like you..."

Dalinar rilled up in anger, summons Oathbringer and slay the head of the torso of this idiotic lighteyes lunatic who dared say the boy was not his rightful son.

Galinar walks in.

"You know Dalinar, he has a point... The child does not favor you much... I recall you at his age, you were ugly as crem. Are you sure Shshsh has been faithful?"

Dalinar thinks to himself: I REALLY need to make a trip to the Nightwatcher before I kill him too.

Lets see what the Szeth haters will say after that.

They make sure to alternate. They cycle through rye, sourdough, wheat, white, wonder, cinnamon raisin, oat, and multigrain breads to ensure a wide variety.

I spat out half a glass of water when I read this. :P

Galinar walks in.

Galinar? I thik you mean Gavilar.

EDIT: Galinar sounds like a hollywood-couple out of Gavilar and Dalinar and no, I do not want to think about this more than absolutely necessary.

Edited by Alfa

Happens often enough and since nobody looks twice at the letter order...

Had the problem myself a lot of times.

Still.... I have been around for a while. I am flabbergast by this revelation. For all that's worth, Galivar sounds better than Gavilar  :ph34r: Gavilar sounds like the name of a duck  :ph34r:

It is definitive: I don't like GaVIlar Kholin  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: And I am sure he was one of those who questioned Dalinar's parentage  :ph34r:

It'd be amusing if the Shin had actually been exporting ducks and parrots the whole time to see if anyone noticed, then kept the chickens to themselves.

Nah, they only do that during duck season.  Or was it rabbit season?  Or ugly crustacean-arachnid-thingy season?  I keep getting them confused :P

This is it. This is why Gavilar had to die.

Shinovar put an embargo on all duck/chicken exportation.

The people of Alethkar were in dire need of their favorite meat, so they made a deal with the foreigners. After all, portly king Gavilar looked fat enough to be delicious once roasted on a broach...  :ph34r:

He die so he could feed his family  :ph34r: