What does SoS's title have to do with what it's about?

Blightsong

Funny thing, I answered something very similar to your question last night. Here.

That only gives context to the question. I think most people know about cognitive shadows i.e stormfather and mistwalker, but what does that have to do with the book itself. Is there a cognitive shadow in the book? Is one influencing characters in the book? Kelsier? I'm asking people if they picked up on anything that could explain the title that is in the book itself.

Kandra. Kandra kandra kandra kandra.

A big thing is how kandra like Paalm didn't have a personality besides that of the people they impersonated (only having a shadow of self).

...but, the phrase Shadow of Self is a real thing in this series, and it definitely does not refer to what you're referencing here. It's not like this is the only possible way to talk about a blank-slate Kandra. It would be really weird to use a phrase he'd used to mean one specific thing, and then have it vaguely reference in an odd way a bizarre metacognitive sorta concept.

...but, the phrase Shadow of Self is a real thing in this series, and it definitely does not refer to what you're referencing here. It's not like this is the only possible way to talk about a blank-slate Kandra. It would be really weird to use a phrase he'd used to mean one specific thing, and then have it vaguely reference in an odd way a bizarre metacognitive sorta concept.

Except that's pretty much what is going on:

Questioner

My other question is about the phrase "Shadows of Self". It's mentioned in the last Mistborn book [...] so are we ever going to see the shadows in Shadows of Self?

Brandon Sanderson

We are not going-- Well yes and no. What it is referencing in this book is the different roles that each person plays in their life. That is the core meaning of "Shadows of Self". But there is also, there is a kandra involved, which they change shape and become different people, so "who are you?" and identity is a big thing.

(source)

Except that's pretty much what is going on:

(source)

Thank you, I had not seen this quote yet. That is... so depressing. I'm fascinated by the 'Mist Spirits' and had really hoped we would learn more about them. Finding out he's just using the same phrase to describe a bit of psychological cliche is... disappointing.

• Chaos locked this topic